X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    anyone can beat anyone in any single game
    I understand this cliche. I'm giving my opinion that Vermont has no shot against Wisconsin. The month is not arbitrary. We have a better idea of how teams will play based on an entire season's worth of games rather than looking at one of the first few games of the season.

And Denver is a much better team than Vermont. The fact that UVM managed to beat them once in October is irrelevant to any discussion on how a potential matchup at the end of the season would go. Same thing with BC-UVM. They hadn't met since November. Going into the HE semis, the 2-1 season series edge for UVM was meaningless because BC had proven to be the better team over the course of the season and backed it up in the most important meeting between the two.

You can hang on to your "anything can happen" philosophy though.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      I understand this cliche. I'm giving my opinion that Vermont has no shot against Wisconsin. The month is not arbitrary. We have a better idea of how teams will play based on an entire season's worth of games rather than looking at one of the first few games of the season.

And Denver is a much better team than Vermont. The fact that UVM managed to beat them once in October is irrelevant to any discussion on how a potential matchup at the end of the season would go. Same thing with BC-UVM. They hadn't met since November. Going into the HE semis, the 2-1 season series edge for UVM was meaningless because BC had proven to be the better team over the course of the season and backed it up in the most important meeting between the two.

Oh don't worry I will, because your opinion really doesn't hold a lot of water with me. In fact its really the best reason I can think of to hang on to my philosophy. But by your arguments, they should do away with the OOC aspect of the PWR right? Since most OOC games are played in Oct, and as you said Oct games don't count then they should clearly not be used as a criteria. They should just use league games??? And the occasional holiday tourney?
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

But by your arguments, they should do away with the OOC aspect of the PWR right? Since most OOC games are played in Oct, and as you said Oct games don't count then they should clearly not be used as a criteria. They should just use league games??? And the occasional holiday tourney?
        Please show me where I said those games shouldn't count towards the PWR.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
          He was probably not used to seeing a real offense like Maine had that night because of the pop gun high school quality forwards he saw the night before.

ps- How many total goals has UVM scored on John Muse in the postseason since he's been at BC?. Just curious
          BC fans are the "New York Yankee fans" of college hockey, they think the world revolves around them. If their team does well its because they are great and if it does poorly they then bring up the teams past or make a lame jam at a team not having the history they do to make themselves feel better.
          It goes like this

1. A non BC fan makes a point they dont like because it doesnt glorify BC

2. Pull up something from the past to cover up the other fans point

3. or pull out some old used 1000 times before joke.

They very seldom actually address the other persons comment.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

But by your arguments, they should do away with the OOC aspect of the PWR right? Since most OOC games are played in Oct, and as you said Oct games don't count then they should clearly not be used as a criteria. They should just use league games??? And the occasional holiday tourney?
            I would actually favor the PWR progressively weighting games throughout the season as I think it would be more accurate on the one day it actually matters. Which I suppose supports J.D. somewhat..
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              I would actually favor the PWR progressively weighting games throughout the season as I think it would be more accurate on the one day it actually matters. Which I suppose supports J.D. somewhat..
              You would have to sprinkle the OOC games throughout the season instead of loading them up at the beginning of the season. And it would then make say a win against Bentley in Feb. worth more then a win against DU in Oct????

I think the OOC is a necessary and decent indicator regardless of the time of year. It evaluates another aspect of a team, which is how they play when they are less prepared. In league games, there are no secrets. The teams don't change the style of play and the coaches know each other and each others habits, but playing a team once a year.....its just another aspect to evaluate a team, and OOC is loaded up in Oct. No one wants to be taking on an OOC team while in the middle of a battle for the playoffs.

Comment

Please show me where I said those games shouldn't count towards the PWR.
                You didn't which is why I used a question mark "?" That's what it would seem you were implying, so in order to clarify I asked a question. Questions are designated by the little squigly mark just above the slash "/" (Same key). When ever you see one of these symbols (?) its an indication that the other person is asking a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  BC fans are the "New York Yankee fans" of college hockey
                  Actually, Michigan has the most titles and hasn't won since 1998. Prior to last year, they would have been a great comparison to Yanks fans. BC fans are more like Red Sox fans, great history and tradition, went through a long period without a title.

I guess both of those are better than being UVM fans. What would that comparison be? The Texas Rangers?

Comment

You would have to sprinkle the OOC games throughout the season instead of loading them up at the beginning of the season. And it would then make say a win against Bentley in Feb. worth more then a win against DU in Oct????

I think the OOC is a necessary and decent indicator regardless of the time of year. It evaluates another aspect of a team, which is how they play when they are less prepared. In league games, there are no secrets. The teams don't change the style of play and the coaches know each other and each others habits, but playing a team once a year.....its just another aspect to evaluate a team, and OOC is loaded up in Oct. No one wants to be taking on an OOC team while in the middle of a battle for the playoffs.
                    That seems unlikely as Bentley isn't a TUC.

I think DU is a better team today than it was in October. You're argument makes sense if both (or all) teams make equal progress through the year, I suppose. But I don't believe they do. December top 5 UMD finished 6-10 for example. OOC games are an indicator, I agree. I just would tend to give them more weight as an indicator, or comparison, if they took place later rather than within the first few weeks of practice starting.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      That seems unlikely as Bentley isn't a TUC.

I think DU is a better team today than it was in October. You're argument makes sense if both (or all) teams make equal progress through the year, I suppose. But I don't believe they do. December top 5 UMD finished 6-10 for example. OOC games are an indicator, I agree. I just would tend to give them more weight as an indicator, or comparison, if they took place later rather than within the first few weeks of practice starting.
                      But that's like saying baseball games in August are worth more than those in April. You get in our out based on your composite body of work. You start screwing around with this and you will see teams loading up with the weakest OOC teams they can find to end the season. Would you schedule BC or UND to end the season intra conference? You would be dying to have PC to boost your position..you do this you end up with a BCS type system. I can't wait for that much anticipated DU vs Florida International game

Comment

So UVM is better than UNH?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          BC fans are the "New York Yankee fans" of college hockey, they think the world revolves around them. If their team does well its because they are great and if it does poorly they then bring up the teams past or make a lame jam at a team not having the history they do to make themselves feel better.
                          It goes like this

1. A non BC fan makes a point they dont like because it doesnt glorify BC

2. Pull up something from the past to cover up the other fans point

3. or pull out some old used 1000 times before joke.

They very seldom actually address the other persons comment.
                          Spoken like an insecure Red Sox fan.
                          GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                          2010 U20 Gold Medal
                          USA HOCKEY
                          1996 World Cup Champions
                          2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                          2004 U20 Gold Medal
                          U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                          WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                            Considering they thoroughly dominated the three game series despite the scores, yes.
                            GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                            2010 U20 Gold Medal
                            USA HOCKEY
                            1996 World Cup Champions
                            2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                            2004 U20 Gold Medal
                            U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                            WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

Umm considering they have almost the same record and UVM was able to win two of three in Durham...right now? Probably.

Comment

But that's like saying baseball games in August are worth more than those in April. You get in our out based on your composite body of work. You start screwing around with this and you will see teams loading up with the weakest OOC teams they can find to end the season. Would you schedule BC or UND to end the season intra conference? You would be dying to have PC to boost your position..you do this you end up with a BCS type system. I can't wait for that much anticipated DU vs Florida International game

Actually I don't think that would make any sense. You couldn't "boost" your position by playing PC at the end of the year, (or anytime) because they aren't a TUC. On the other hand if you beat a top 5 team late (or anytime) you could concievably boost your position. The top programs would still look to play the other strongest programs as they do now. An if they can schedule top teams in the second half, all the better. I'd love seeing a weekend of top 10 OOC matchups in February.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X