X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    INCH rules.
    Figures you would like them. I suppose Barry Melrose is your hero too?
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Pretty easy to understand they meant if they were selecting teams on their own criteria, UVM wouldn't have been included.

Comment

INCH write-up on the Cats in the regional:

NO. 4 SEED VERMONT CATAMOUNTS

Record: 17-14-7 overall (9-11-7 Hockey East, eighth)
        Qualified: At-large berth
        NCAA Championships: None
        NCAA Appearance: Fifth (most recent, 2009)
        Head Coach: Kevin Sneddon
        Key Players: Brayden Irwin, Sr., F (38 GP, 15-19—34); Rob Madore, So., G (13-12-7, 2.65, .907); Colin Vock, Sr., F (38 GP, 11-17—28); Brian Roloff, Sr., F (38 GP, 8-18—26)
        What You Need to Know: A Frozen Four team a year ago, Vermont suffered severe losses to graduation and early departure, and it showed in the Catamounts' Hockey East finish. They were solid outside the conference, however, and won back-to-back 1-0 games against New Hampshire in the Hockey East quarterfinals.
        How They'll Advance: As he showed in last year's run to Washington, D.C., and again in the wins against UNH, Rob Madore can be as good as any goaltender in the country when he's on. He's bolstered by a big, experienced and talented defense corps that will want to keep games low-scoring to give them a chance.
        What Might Trip Them Up: With only two goals in their last three games, offense can be downright abysmal for the Catamounts. They can't necessarily count on the power play, either: their 16.0 percent success rate ranks 45th nationally and 15th among NCAA Tournament teams.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Pretty easy to understand they meant if they were selecting teams on their own criteria, UVM wouldn't have been included.
          Can't stay away can you? Thanks for your 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
            INCH write-up on the Cats in the regional:

NO. 4 SEED VERMONT CATAMOUNTS

Record: 17-14-7 overall (9-11-7 Hockey East, eighth)
            Qualified: At-large berth
            NCAA Championships: None
            NCAA Appearance: Fifth (most recent, 2009)
            Head Coach: Kevin Sneddon
            Key Players: Brayden Irwin, Sr., F (38 GP, 15-19—34); Rob Madore, So., G (13-12-7, 2.65, .907); Colin Vock, Sr., F (38 GP, 11-17—28); Brian Roloff, Sr., F (38 GP, 8-18—26)
            What You Need to Know: A Frozen Four team a year ago, Vermont suffered severe losses to graduation and early departure, and it showed in the Catamounts' Hockey East finish. They were solid outside the conference, however, and won back-to-back 1-0 games against New Hampshire in the Hockey East quarterfinals.
            How They'll Advance: As he showed in last year's run to Washington, D.C., and again in the wins against UNH, Rob Madore can be as good as any goaltender in the country when he's on. He's bolstered by a big, experienced and talented defense corps that will want to keep games low-scoring to give them a chance.
            What Might Trip Them Up: With only two goals in their last three games, offense can be downright abysmal for the Catamounts. They can't necessarily count on the power play, either: their 16.0 percent success rate ranks 45th nationally and 15th among NCAA Tournament teams.
            Sounds like a pretty accurate analysis to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              What is with INCH, somebody from UVM really got their panties in a bunch. After making the NCAA tourney the Cats made the Power Rankings coming in at last place (20th) with this for a write up

"While we wouldn't have included Vermont if we were in charge of selecting the NCAA Tournament field (more in the INCH Podcast), the Catamounts deserve this spot in the INCH Power Rankings."

Seriously?? You wouldn't have included VT if you were the selection committee ?? Ever hear of those things called PWC's??

I'm boycotting lol. Their site has gone downhill over the past year and sucks anyways. The Power rankings were the only thing worthwhile as their coverage is horrible. Good Riddance.
              The PWR tool is a good one, but UVM making it is an anomoly. They finish 8th in HE and dont make it to the HE Final and make the NCAAs. Good for UVM, but INCH is right, there are better teams sitting at home right now than UVM. I think that'll show vs. Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                The PWR tool is a good one, but UVM making it is an anomoly. They finish 8th in HE and dont make it to the HE Final and make the NCAAs. Good for UVM, but INCH is right, there are better teams sitting at home right now than UVM. I think that'll show vs. Wisconsin.
                By what criteria? By your subjective opinion? If they were better why didn't they have a higher RPI? A better record against TUC's? A better Head to Head? A better record against CO's?

Are there teams playing better right now? Maybe. UVM threw up a stinker against BC but they played well against UNH for two, had two great games against BU, had a bad weekend against UML before knocking off UNH. If they respond against Wisc after the bad loss to BC like they did against UNH after a bad weekend against UML they will do just fine.

They may play poorly as they have at times, or what may show vs. Wisconsin is the same thing that showed against DU.

Comment

By what criteria? By your subjective opinion? If they were better why didn't they have a higher RPI? A better record against TUC's? A better Head to Head? A better record against CO's?

Are there teams playing better right now? Maybe. UVM threw up a stinker against BC but they played well against UNH for two, had two great games against BU, had a bad weekend against UML before knocking off UNH. If they respond against Wisc after the bad loss to BC like they did against UNH after a bad weekend against UML they will do just fine.

They may play poorly as they have at times, or what may show vs. Wisconsin is the same thing that showed against DU.
                  As I said, they benefitted by the PWR. Im not going to sit here and lie to you and say that I think UVM is one of the best 16 teams in the country this year. If you think so you are lying to yourself. Maybe they'll make the best of it and win a game, but I expect Wisconsin to beat them pretty easily. We'll see.

Comment

Im not going to sit here and lie to you and say that I think UVM is one of the best 16 teams in the country this year.

And I asked you by what criteria?

Comment

One of the great things about the PWR is it takes subjectivity out of the picture. Sure, UVM did finish in eighth, but they were only three points out of third while playing a strong OOC schedule and going 6-1 against that tough schedule.

Now, I understand how people could be upset about this, as we have been sitting just barely on the other side of the line in the past.

Comment

Wisco got nothing on this...

http://i.imgur.com/FXENF.jpg

you can't make this stuff up
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

And I asked you by what criteria?
                          I'll go with a basic eye ball test. I think Lowell and BU were better than UVM, and nationally teams like Ferris or Duluth were better, too. UVM had some good early wins and hung on for dear life to get a 4 seed. Good luck with Wisco, because that game could be a disaster for UVM

Comment

I'll go with a basic eye ball test. I think Lowell and BU were better than UVM, and nationally teams like Ferris or Duluth were better, too. UVM had some good early wins and hung on for dear life to get a 4 seed. Good luck with Wisco, because that game could be a disaster for UVM
                            UVM beat Duluth?? went 2-0-1 against BU???

They had some good early on games against the best teams in the country and throughout the season they collected enough wins and points to have MORE PWC wins then Ferris and UML. UML?? Really??? Did that weekend sweep of UAH impress you that much? Or was it the tourney's they won...oops lost to UNO oh well there was the Leydard....nope lost to NU.

P.S. when using the "eyeball" test it works best if you keep them OPEN.

Comment

UVM beat Duluth?? went 2-0-1 against BU???

They had some good early on games against the best teams in the country and throughout the season they collected enough wins and points to have MORE PWC wins then Ferris and UML. UML?? Really??? Did that weekend sweep of UAH impress you that much? Or was it the tourney's they won...oops lost to UNO oh well there was the Leydard....nope lost to NU.

P.S. when using the "eyeball" test it works best if you keep them OPEN.
                              My eye balls saw Duluth beat North Dakota, Denver, and shut out Wisconsin this year. Neither UMD or UVM are great teams, but the math worked out for UVM and not the Bulldogs.

Comment

My eye balls saw Duluth beat North Dakota, Denver, and shut out Wisconsin this year. Neither UMD or UVM are great teams, but the math worked out for UVM and not the Bulldogs.
                                UVM shut out UNH 2 times, Yale 1 time, beat Denver, UMD and BC 2 times.... basically UVM got in right about where they should have...in by the skin of their teeth. As for UML they were probably a bit better but didn't play as good an OOC schedule and that is what killed them (along with losing to Princeton and UNO)

Comment

Working...
                                X