X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    So did that BC OT goal give UVM the last spot? You're welcome
    Thank you to the BC hockey team....and them only.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      So did that BC OT goal give UVM the last spot? You're welcome
      Yes, yes it did in fact. Thank Muse for us if you see him, I thought he was going to screw us two nights in a row.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Well we are in. Look at the bright side. Needed help to make it, but the Cat's will be skating next weekend none the less.

That's something UML can't say despite that unbelievably dominant team they were supposed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Well we are in. Look at the bright side. Needed help to make it, but the Cat's will be skating next weekend none the less.

That's something UML can't say despite that unbelievably dominant team they were supposed to have.

Agreed, after all the crap taken over the course of the past year, it feels like justice was served. On the plus side, the expectation is that the Riverhawks are going to be in the midst of an off year, so I am hopeful that several of the more *****ular UML fans either graduate or mature.

On to next weekend, the reality is that first team to win 4 games from here on out is the National Champion. Get hot, ride some goal-tending, and a few hard to come by goals. Let's hope that the Cats find a way to move on.

I was at the Garden last night, sitting next to a bunch of Maine fans. I was impressed with the team and with their fan base. Class act.
          Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Originally posted by funnnnn View Post
            Agreed, after all the crap taken over the course of the past year, it feels like justice was served. On the plus side, the expectation is that the Riverhawks are going to be in the midst of an off year, so I am hopeful that several of the more *****ular UML fans either graduate or mature.

On to next weekend, the reality is that first team to win 4 games from here on out is the National Champion. Get hot, ride some goal-tending, and a few hard to come by goals. Let's hope that the Cats find a way to move on.

I was at the Garden last night, sitting next to a bunch of Maine fans. I was impressed with the team and with their fan base. Class act.
            Thing about ME is they don't really lose anyone. Wilson will be gone, but it will really come down to who leaves early. House has another year, Nyquist 2 more years along with Darling. But there are some questions surrounding those guys. Does Darling come back from the suspension? I would have to thing Nyquist bolts and possible House as well. But if they stay, ME will be a force again next year.

One thing is for sure, BC will be excellent and the league will be tight.

For now though onto the NCAA for the second year in a row !!!! And another banner to hang

Everyone I've seen pretty much has UVM out west with their predictions facing Wisconsin.

Comment

Thing about ME is they don't really lose anyone. Wilson will be gone, but it will really come down to who leaves early. House has another year, Nyquist 2 more years along with Darling. But there are some questions surrounding those guys. Does Darling come back from the suspension? I would have to thing Nyquist bolts and possible House as well. But if they stay, ME will be a force again next year.

One thing is for sure, BC will be excellent and the league will be tight.

For now though onto the NCAA for the second year in a row !!!! And another banner to hang

Everyone I've seen pretty much has UVM out west with their predictions facing Wisconsin.
              Nick Bonino just left BU and it sounds like Kevn Shattenkirk may be next. I'd imagine Nyquist will leave Maine. Boston College looks like they could have potential monster next year unless they see Krieder leave. New Hampshire loses quite a bit so I see them dropping but they always find a way to stay near the top. UMass and Lowell take huge drops next year. Providence is not worth even mentioning. I can see UVM being a very strong team next year too
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                Nick Bonino just left BU and it sounds like Kevn Shattenkirk may be next. I'd imagine Nyquist will leave Maine. Boston College looks like they could have potential monster next year unless they see Krieder leave. New Hampshire loses quite a bit so I see them dropping but they always find a way to stay near the top. UMass and Lowell take huge drops next year. Providence is not worth even mentioning. I can see UVM being a very strong team next year too
                I think BC will be a monster even if Krieder leaves. It will be interesting after the NCAA ends to sit down and look at whose left and whose gone. UVM for their part loses Irwin and Roloff, Anctil, Spillane, Cullity and Vock.

Irwin and Roloff I think are the two biggest losses. There are few good incoming recruits so I think UVM will stay competitive. Not sure if Miller or Medvec will bolt....time will tell. But I would expect them to stay.

Comment

Woooo Hooooo, we're still skating! I honestly thought you could have stuck a fork in us after the 7-4 loss at UNH. I'll watch the selection show, but I could really care less who we play. Bring on Wisconsin or anyone else, because when we're on our game we'll beat them. Congratulations Cats!!!

Oh, and by the way, I can't wait for the selection show to see who UML is playing. Oh, that's right, they're gonna be watching us from home. Again!!!

Comment

I think BC will be a monster even if Krieder leaves. It will be interesting after the NCAA ends to sit down and look at whose left and whose gone. UVM for their part loses Irwin and Roloff, Anctil, Spillane, Cullity and Vock.

Irwin and Roloff I think are the two biggest losses. There are few good incoming recruits so I think UVM will stay competitive. Not sure if Miller or Medvec will bolt....time will tell. But I would expect them to stay.
                    Despite the 8th place finish, I think UVM has put itself into that "annual contender" field in Hockey East. It does seem that your move to Hockey East has really benefited you guys but competing against the Boston Colleges and Boston Universitys of the world is tough. Here you just had Cornell for the most part.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I was just reading an article about UVM on CHN about the move to HE. In it was this quote from Sneddon

"Scheduling wise, the league has helped us out. We've got Denver on our schedule, they're coming back here next year; we've got the Gophers on the schedule, they're going to come back. We would have struggled to have those teams come in to play us perhaps in the other leagues."

It looks as if we will get 2 at home against DU next season and probably an away weekend against Minn.

Those are some very nice OOC games.

Comment

What about Cullity as a loss? Sure lots of PM but still he was a +21 with no one else close. I didn't see UVM play this year so I am asking the question.

Comment

Congratulations to the team on making the big ice dance.
                          Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Congrats to the Cats for getting into the tournament. That is fantastic for the kids and has to be a real positive for the continued growth of the program - and is clearly good for recruiting and good for giving the kids more big game experience.

Hopefully they will take advantage of this opportunity and run with it like they did last year. We know they can beat anyone if they play within their systems, move their feet and execute. Having said that, they were totally outclassed versus BC in the first period Friday night. Madore played great to keep them in it early. Unfortunately, Muse played well when tested also. UVM had to bury the opportunities (Vock breakaway, etc) when given the chance, but did not. 0 for the game on the PP was once again a killer.

I thought that McCarthy, Pacan and Franzon all had particularly tough games and nobody played particularly well other than Madore and maybe Burrows and Roloff. McCarthy got beat to too many pucks - hopefully this was a learning experience for the freshmen and they can turn it up a notch and cash in with the third life they have been granted (the first was when BU beat NU twice to secure UVM the 8th playoff spot, the second was of course BC beating Maine in OT). It would be quite a story if the cats could make some noise in the national picture again after being so close to NCAA elimination for so long.......

It really is amazing that they went 6-1 OOC against such good competition and earned this spot - good for them. It goes to show how critical those games are. By doing so they also helped UNH get in as well.

IMO this national tournament is anyones to win and there is no CLEAR favorite. My gut tells me that Denver and BU play for the title as they are both a little ahead of everyone else - but bounces and hot hands will likely play a role as well.

Comments on the future - they are losing quite a bit up front with Roloff, Irwin, Vock, Higgins going - and Milo already gone. And as much as Cullity and his bad penalties killed me for four years - he has been very solid defensively all year - as noted in his plus/minus rating. But, I think they may have an net upgrade with Brickley, Montagna, Herrington, Decenzo all coming in - plus getting Stacey back healthy and Burrows a full year up front. These next few classes are very strong and if this years freshmen continue to develop the future is bright. You have figure the forward depth is excellent the 2nd and 3rd years ahead given the relatively few senior forwards they have the next two years.

The D is another story but Doerring should be good. I fear that Medvec might leave - between being drafted and having a good year he would likely be the highest risk departure. I originally was concerned that Miller might leave early but he did not have a great year and I hope he stays to lead the D next year along with Lawson and Mackenzie. I suppose each of their futures might hinge to some degree on what happens next week. If they win some games their stocks will go up.... That is the price of success though I and would take it.

Comments on next year in HE. BC will be stacked again. They are playing 4 freshmen D. Lots of young forwards up front. Recruiting is always the best. Enough said.

BU will continue to be a threat but will underperform their roster potential as long as Parker (Mr. Negative) continues to run that show. Last year was the exception because Gilroy and Wilson stepped it up at the end of our Semifinal game and the NC game - but otherwise they would have faltered as a team.

Maine and UNH will battle BC for the RS title. Maine loses little to graduation and is scary stacked in the FR and SO classes. Unless they lose Nyquist/House/Flynn. but even then they are BACK.

UNH is always there. However, I think they are losing some recruiting battles in recent years (including to UVM) and are at the front end of a period where they will slowly recede from dominance. I know that is hard to say that when they won the RS title this year but I look at that roster and I see them not being as strong with the incoming classes the last couple of years. Although I suppose if they had JVR this year and we had V. Stalburg we both would have been considerably stronger....

Mack is going to be tough if they follow up with another good recruiting class...

NU is improving gradually and seems to have a good goaltender for the next three years.

PC, UML, and Mass are all in some trouble next year I think.

Next year UVM will be young up front but I think if they only lose one or two D this year (Cullity and possibly Medvec) that they will fight it out with UNH, BU, Mack and Maine for home ice - with BC coasting into first easily.

Now - for the balance of this season - If UVM plays in the east (hopefully) I am definitely there. If they play out west it's not likely unless I can find someone who wants to fly out with me on Friday..... I have the time and the cash but who wants go go without friends...

Comment

Ok, I see that I contradicted myself in that post. I think BC runs away with the RS next year. But, I say that not knowing much about next years recruiting classes for each team other than UVM.

Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                                Congrats to the Cats for getting into the tournament. That is fantastic for the kids and has to be a real positive for the continued growth of the program - and is clearly good for recruiting and good for giving the kids more big game experience.

Hopefully they will take advantage of this opportunity and run with it like they did last year. We know they can beat anyone if they play within their systems, move their feet and execute. Having said that, they were totally outclassed versus BC in the first period Friday night. Madore played great to keep them in it early. Unfortunately, Muse played well when tested also. UVM had to bury the opportunities (Vock breakaway, etc) when given the chance, but did not. 0 for the game on the PP was once again a killer.

I thought that McCarthy, Pacan and Franzon all had particularly tough games and nobody played particularly well other than Madore and maybe Burrows and Roloff. McCarthy got beat to too many pucks - hopefully this was a learning experience for the freshmen and they can turn it up a notch and cash in with the third life they have been granted (the first was when BU beat NU twice to secure UVM the 8th playoff spot, the second was of course BC beating Maine in OT). It would be quite a story if the cats could make some noise in the national picture again after being so close to NCAA elimination for so long.......

It really is amazing that they went 6-1 OOC against such good competition and earned this spot - good for them. It goes to show how critical those games are. By doing so they also helped UNH get in as well.

IMO this national tournament is anyones to win and there is no CLEAR favorite. My gut tells me that Denver and BU play for the title as they are both a little ahead of everyone else - but bounces and hot hands will likely play a role as well.

Comments on the future - they are losing quite a bit up front with Roloff, Irwin, Vock, Higgins going - and Milo already gone. And as much as Cullity and his bad penalties killed me for four years - he has been very solid defensively all year - as noted in his plus/minus rating. But, I think they may have an net upgrade with Brickley, Montagna, Herrington, Decenzo all coming in - plus getting Stacey back healthy and Burrows a full year up front. These next few classes are very strong and if this years freshmen continue to develop the future is bright. You have figure the forward depth is excellent the 2nd and 3rd years ahead given the relatively few senior forwards they have the next two years.

The D is another story but Doerring should be good. I fear that Medvec might leave - between being drafted and having a good year he would likely be the highest risk departure. I originally was concerned that Miller might leave early but he did not have a great year and I hope he stays to lead the D next year along with Lawson and Mackenzie. I suppose each of their futures might hinge to some degree on what happens next week. If they win some games their stocks will go up.... That is the price of success though I and would take it.

Comments on next year in HE. BC will be stacked again. They are playing 4 freshmen D. Lots of young forwards up front. Recruiting is always the best. Enough said.

BU will continue to be a threat but will underperform their roster potential as long as Parker (Mr. Negative) continues to run that show. Last year was the exception because Gilroy and Wilson stepped it up at the end of our Semifinal game and the NC game - but otherwise they would have faltered as a team.

Maine and UNH will battle BC for the RS title. Maine loses little to graduation and is scary stacked in the FR and SO classes. Unless they lose Nyquist/House/Flynn. but even then they are BACK.

UNH is always there. However, I think they are losing some recruiting battles in recent years (including to UVM) and are at the front end of a period where they will slowly recede from dominance. I know that is hard to say that when they won the RS title this year but I look at that roster and I see them not being as strong with the incoming classes the last couple of years. Although I suppose if they had JVR this year and we had V. Stalburg we both would have been considerably stronger....

Mack is going to be tough if they follow up with another good recruiting class...

NU is improving gradually and seems to have a good goaltender for the next three years.

PC, UML, and Mass are all in some trouble next year I think.

Next year UVM will be young up front but I think if they only lose one or two D this year (Cullity and possibly Medvec) that they will fight it out with UNH, BU, Mack and Maine for home ice - with BC coasting into first easily.

Now - for the balance of this season - If UVM plays in the east (hopefully) I am definitely there. If they play out west it's not likely unless I can find someone who wants to fly out with me on Friday..... I have the time and the cash but who wants go go without friends...

But BU isnt even in it this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X