Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    Attendance last night:
    BC: 2888
    Maine: 3000
    BU: 3508
    UNH: 3712

They always have awful attendance throughout the league in these rounds. UNH used to bang out the building when they were one of the top teams nationally, but its dwindled since (2003 and prior) to level out with the rest of the league. Its not surprising at all, but its still a bummer. Bad economy, expensive ticket, also has something to do with it around the league. Kudos to the small and (at times) vocal UVM section to my right.
    Even without students and a smaller rink we would have beat all of those places, sometimes I think these teams have got so used to homeice they no longer care and just wait for the semis.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
      Even without students and a smaller rink we would have beat all of those places, sometimes I think these teams have got so used to homeice they no longer care and just wait for the semis.
      its a combination of things, as I mentioned. UNH used to, even after many years of home ice, still get 5-6k. The product isn't as good/exciting, the economy is bad, the ticket prices are too high, athletic department treating fans poorly. This was the 14th year in a row UNH got home ice (by far the longest streak in the league). Its not that the fans 'wait for the semis', its a combination of everything mentioned. The atmosphere has suffered greatly and it was a steady decline after 2003's Finalist year.

Comment

Originally posted by funnnnn View Post
        Goal 3 for UNH - Madore just boneheaded it, went outside the crease to meet the streaking UNH player, lost an edge and empty netter and tide turner.
        Lets not forget that the UNH player easily blew by a VT defender, I think Madore was being agressive on the angle figuring the player could only throw a wrist shot but then all of a sudden he's by the D and Madore is out of position in no-mans land.

Comment

I think these teams have got so used to homeice they no longer care and just wait for the semis.
          HE takes over the promotion, pricing and distribution of the tickets. They receive all of the proceeds. These tickets are not part of the season ticket package.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            HE takes over the promotion, pricing and distribution of the tickets. They receive all of the proceeds. These tickets are not part of the season ticket package.
            The pricing wasn't any different than regular season games was it?

Hockey East also demands all of the procedes from any promotional contests (50/50) so the friends groups were not allowed to do them, without giving all of the procedes back to the league)

Comment

Lets not forget that the UNH player easily blew by a VT defender, I think Madore was being agressive on the angle figuring the player could only throw a wrist shot but then all of a sudden he's by the D and Madore is out of position in no-mans land.
              Was in the corner with a great view of it. Happened awfully fast, but from the view I had, Madore simply over played it.
              Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

Not sure who was there last night, but it was a really interesting game through 38 minutes.

I am not one to lay the blame for any loss on the head of any one player, BUT Madore had a serious substandard game.

Goal 2 for UNH from the point, fluttered in on a soft shot that Madore was screened on, but, as he often does, he went down and the puck went over his shoulder (or glove side).

Goal 3 for UNH - Madore just boneheaded it, went outside the crease to meet the streaking UNH player, lost an edge and empty netter and tide turner.

Goal 5 for UNH - soft shot from inside the blue line that Madore misplayed.

So, as i said, i normally hate to lay the blame on any one player, let me state that Medvic did not have his best effort either.

Will be at the Whitt again, watching with about 3500 other fans in this very empty empty rink for a D1 playoff game. I recognize that the students are on break, but the crowd size was really surprising.
                Even after uvm went up 4-2 they still were pressuring and were oh so close several times to extending that lead to 5-2 or even 6-2. You're right it was just about 38 minutes that they controlled the play, looked great on the cycle, all 5 guys were working together, and then that wrap around goal where Madore put himself way out of position let unh back in the game and with momentum going into the second break. Johnny Higgins always has great games at unh and last night was another one, several guys played well. The mighty-mite line of Anctil, Leonard, and Roos were outstanding. I'm still convinced uvm is built for this larger ice surface, it allows them to do what they do best, cycle the puck and set up shots off that. The Madore yanking could go either way for tonight...either he is as off as he seems or he'll have his best game of the season.

Downing has become a disappointment for me. All these other guys seem to be stepping up, Higgins, Leonard, Anctil, Burrows, and most of the other forwards but he is the one guy I see playing under his potential. He has shown signs of being able to dictate the play but those times aren't consistent and have been missing for a while now. How about tonight JD.

Cullity might have played the game of his career last night. He was everywhere, looked like a fourth forward out there anticipating well and helping out on the cycle. Never seen such a jekyll and hide player within the same game as Kevan Miller. He'll look like the best player on the ice one shift and turns the puck over at the blue or in the slot the next shift. Medvec, did struggle a little last night. I think the bigger surface affects him a little because of this lankiness and the different angles you have to play on the bigger ice. Need to get back to what they were doing in the first period friday, shoot from many different angles and control the play down low in their zone. Have to shoot a lot when there's traffic, pucks were bouncing around legs last night and you never know when one will sneak five hole.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post

Actually Vermont season ticket holders do pay for playoff tickets when we buy our season books. Not that we needed them this year.

Comment

Congrats on your hoops crown, UVM. Hopefully it lightens the pain of your hockey season ending in a few hours? (Actually, I hope you guys beat UNH)
                    Last edited by Onion Man; 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

How is the B2 Network Stream of the game? worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Congrats on your hoops crown, UVM. Hopefully it lightens the pain of your hockey season ending in a few hours? (Actually, I hope you guys beat UNH)
                        Does a few hours mean more than 24 nowadays?? Times are moving so fast.

Comment

Like how they kept pressing to get it to 2-0 instead of sitting on a 1-0 lead. Pretty darn good road game, Madore bounced back, a couple of bigtimers but helped to not be under constant pressure as the offense was able to control the puck low in their zone. Pacan buries it after solid effort in the corners by Higgins. Pretty good day in Cat country, let's hope it extends into Sunday.

Comment

I'll be there

Wondering if many others will?
                            Watching UVM hockey from afar.....

Comment

I'll be there

Wondering if many others will?
                              On the B2 it looked like the Vermont fans had the whole end to themselves. To bad none of the home ice teams want to host as much as we would have.

Amazing sports day for Vermont fans. Congrats to both hoop teams on punching tickets to the big dance. I was watching the hockey game on B2 and the Womens game at the same time.

Glad to see such a good fan turnout even with the fan base spread out in 3 corners of NE yesterday.

If Vermont can win today it would mean another 3 state split for next Thurs/Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 4035 View Post
                                How is the B2 Network Stream of the game? worth it?
                                To be able to watch the seniors play maybe their last game Yes. But no replays and a single cameraman who keeps zooming in to close and losing the puck is not great.

Comment

Working...
                                X