2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Remembering that the 'G' is silent....after watching the video preview of the weekend, Sneddon continues to amaze me with the senselessness of his 'thinking' and coaching.

The team is still working on its leadership at Groundhog Day. Keep up the good work, coach.

Much more ridiculous to me, though, is that he acknowleded that there were a number of stupid penalties taken in the win over UMass. But since the PK erased them all, no problem. Hey coach, the PK can kill the penalty AND you can still bench a player for a stupid penalty, that is, IF YOU EVER WANT TO GET THE STUPID PENALTIES TO STOP. (And yes, I AM yelling!) Pacan, a freshman, can't be benched for his completely stupid penalty in the 1st period right after the team killed one off? Maybe it's just (3 years) too late to start benching Cullity for his stupidity, eh?

Because no PPGs were scored, stupid penalties were OK, but Sneddon will go off for the same penalty if a PPG is scored. How the #u@!* do you stop kids from taking stupid penalties that will eventually kill you?

And 'difference makers,' Sneddon has taken to talking about 'difference makers' over the past week - Viktor Stalberg, Marcou, and Wellman. HEY COACH, you HAVE 'difference makers' right on your own darn team. They just DON'T wear numbers 16 and 17 and 25. If you'd let your top 2 lines play as much as EVERY OTHER TEAM IN HOCKEY lets their top 2 lines play, YOU'LL SEE. Believe me, coach, the coaches you're theoretically coaching against love seeing 16 and 17 and 25 and even 8, 12, and 24 on the ice and 10, 5, and 7 sitting on the bench. Coach, you only have to coach UVM, let the other coach have to worry about defending against your best players.

Remembering that the 'G' is silent, every time I hear Sneddon talk I think he is a well-spoken idiot.

Comment

I like the fact that Sneddon plays all four lines most of the game to keep everyone fresh, depth is one of UVM's strengths

although I do agree that I want the top two or three lines on the ice near the end of the game it's it's close or they are down one or two goals

UVM needs to step up this weekend and get at least 3 points if they are going to make a move in the HE standings that will set them up for a chance to get to the Garden (or whatever it's called these days)

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
        Remembering that the 'G' is silent....after watching the video preview of the weekend, Sneddon continues to amaze me with the senselessness of his 'thinking' and coaching.

The team is still working on its leadership at Groundhog Day. Keep up the good work, coach.

Much more ridiculous to me, though, is that he acknowleded that there were a number of stupid penalties taken in the win over UMass. But since the PK erased them all, no problem. Hey coach, the PK can kill the penalty AND you can still bench a player for a stupid penalty, that is, IF YOU EVER WANT TO GET THE STUPID PENALTIES TO STOP. (And yes, I AM yelling!) Pacan, a freshman, can't be benched for his completely stupid penalty in the 1st period right after the team killed one off? Maybe it's just (3 years) too late to start benching Cullity for his stupidity, eh?

Because no PPGs were scored, stupid penalties were OK, but Sneddon will go off for the same penalty if a PPG is scored. How the #u@!* do you stop kids from taking stupid penalties that will eventually kill you?

And 'difference makers,' Sneddon has taken to talking about 'difference makers' over the past week - Viktor Stalberg, Marcou, and Wellman. HEY COACH, you HAVE 'difference makers' right on your own darn team. They just DON'T wear numbers 16 and 17 and 25. If you'd let your top 2 lines play as much as EVERY OTHER TEAM IN HOCKEY lets their top 2 lines play, YOU'LL SEE. Believe me, coach, the coaches you're theoretically coaching against love seeing 16 and 17 and 25 and even 8, 12, and 24 on the ice and 10, 5, and 7 sitting on the bench. Coach, you only have to coach UVM, let the other coach have to worry about defending against your best players.

Remembering that the 'G' is silent, every time I hear Sneddon talk I think he is a well-spoken idiot.
        Question jcarter, do you personally know Sneddon or his family members? Is that why you created an alias to bash Sneddon with, so he doesn't know it's you?
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Remembering that the 'G' is silent....
          I think we'd all prefer the rest of you to be silent as well.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

grantfan, I am not sure you have the ability to grasp and understand the complexities of coaching a college level hockey team. Non of us can possibly know or understand the game of hockey as viewed through the eyes of someone who is currently coaching a college team.

Correcting stupid penalties would require that some players sit and with minimal depth on the roster, well that is unlikely to happen.

As far as 16, 17 and 25 playing so much...well, Vermont is a "liberal" state and a "liberal" university, thus everyone should be equal or attempts should be made to allow for equal playing time. For all we know, the coaching staff might be operating under some state mandated guideline(s) that require equal pay for equal time...or something to that effect. And somehow the coaching staff much apply these principals in order to continue to receive state funding.

Just a thought...
            Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Grantfan you have left me speechless once again......
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Despite being almost excessively bright and insightful with an inate ability to understand the simple game that is ice hockey, despite that, I read with an open mind and try to learn from anyone, including jcarter and observer85.

So, when my full yet open mind reads recent entries in which it is stated that one of UVM's strengths is depth (snwbrdr) and that UVM operates with only "minimal depth" (observer85), even someone of my immense intelligence and understanding becomes confused.

I am inclined to agree with snwbrdr on the issue of depth when I see 16, 17, and 25 on the ice and remember that, statistically speaking, I have almost as much chance of scoring a goal as any of them. I am currently 1 goal behind each of them. Hey, me and 16 were tied until this past weekend. And it isn't as if they are a checking line assigned to the other team's top line, though it is always scary seeing them on the ice against players that COULD score a goal.

Snwbrdr, did Marcou or Wellman or Syner look anything but fresh after playing the whole game 2 games in a row? I expect you will say yes, to which I will only point out that they never stopped playing and Sneddon never stopped worrying about them. Sneddon is at his very best when he's calling timeouts after the other team's timeout in efforts to protect a 2-goal lead ('the most dangerous in hockey,' idiots like to say) with 30 seconds left. At that precise moment even I admit there are none better.

The abundant depth is further evidenced by the coach's ability to replace any given forward with Ben Albertson or Brett Leonard and any defenseman with Dan Lawson, Anders Franzon, or Lance Herrington. Oh, yeah, Sneddon wouldn't possibly replace anyone with Albertson, Leonard, or Herrington. So that leaves replacing Lawson with Franzon and then Franzon with Lawson. Oh, the personnel choices to be made. Oh, the life of a college hockey coach.

The depth this coach has stockpiled is quite impressive and certain to keep any player from taking stupid penalties, not trying his hardest, not following the game plan, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

People, why not just respond to points about hockey? Attacks without even lip service to the hockey points - remember, you can disagree and even think I'm an idiot - tell me only that you wish things were different than I stated. If you're just going to attack grantfan, at least call it a racist or a homophobe, something that will hurt its feelings and truly brandish it an outcast.

Comment

People, why not just respond to points about hockey? Attacks without even lip service to the hockey points - remember, you can disagree and even think I'm an idiot - tell me only that you wish things were different than I stated. If you're just going to attack grantfan, at least call it a racist or a homophobe, something that will hurt its feelings and truly brandish it an outcast.
                  Did you just refer to yourself in the third person??

Wow.

Comment

Is 'it' the third person?

Comment

Something is seriously wrong with the lack of consistency with this team....wow

Comment

Tough night for the Cats. We can only hope this made jcarter jump off the bridge.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

The jcarter/grantfan multiple personalities argument belongs in the USCHO Hall of Fame.

Whose side would AdidasJerry be on? Is he done with finals yet?
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Maybe I just picked the wrong season to try to find fault with the great, infallible and beyond reproach Kevin Sneddon.

Other coaches take the blame for their teams not coming out ready to play in the first period, but not Sneddon. To be fair, though, he sends out Miller and Cullity and sometimes the puck comes to one of them and sometimes it's the other team's best player they hand it to, so you can't really blame Sneddon. At least, I won't for tonight's first abortion, I mean, UMaine goal.

The Cats got away with penalties against UMass so there was really nothing to address in the area of discipline. Didn't get away with it as well tonight, but I don't think penalties are a concern. Cullity's double minor was classic, you know he 'knew' the ref wouldn't call a second penalty against him so he snapped a guy's stick with a slash, but then son of a gun, he got called for 2 minors. Bad reffing, good D, good captaining. The really neat thing about Cullity, and who would know it better than his coach, is that you never have to say anything to Patrick after his idiocy, he knows he messed up and nobody feels worse than him. Well, fans and I'm sure teammates feel worse, like ****ed off, but you know what I mean.

It may just be ***** time to bench his sorry *****, even if it's 3 years too late.

Has the 4 forward/Medvec PP become quite predictable and horse crap enough for you yet? Hey, I missed Marshall on the other PP unit tonight.

I loved this almost best of all...3rd period, 8:27 left on the clock, UMaine 5 - UVM 3. We're almost in it, right? So, out for Maine skates Nyquist, Flynn, and House and out for UVM skates 16, 17, and 25. Like snwbrdr, though, I like when all 4 lines play, it makes use of the team's great depth and keeps other players fresh. Presumably for the stick salute to the empty seats after a brutal home loss in an important game that the coach couldn't get his team prepared for.

I stand corrected. Sneddon is doing a great job this season.
                            Last edited by grantfan; 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Seems like it would be prudent to wait until after the 2nd game of the weekend to post the bewilderment that this group of players seem to bring to their faithful. But many thoughts run through my mind...

1) Will Lawson and Herrington have a chance to play on Saturday? They should, both of them. Will the coach have the guts to sit one of his captains - the one with 3 penalties in tonights game?

2) Will Leonard finally get a chance to replace 16 or 25 or 17? Unless he just will not be allowed out of the dog house, he can't be any worst than these 3.

3) Will Irwin ever pass the puck on the PP? This guy is seriously in love with his shot. Any puck movement on this PP unit comes to a screeching halt when the puck hits the blade of his stick. Like Melrose said last weekend, if Irwin wants to shoot from the blue line on the PP, the other team will let him do it all game long. Although Irwin leads the team in scoring, if he were to pass the puck more, I have to believe he would have at least double the assists he currently has. Afterall, he plays on a non PP line with a pure goal scorer, Justin Milo. Then he might actually be a Hobey candidate.

At least the Milo/Stacey PP unit keeps the puck down low with good passing. Was that a great pass by MacKenzie to Milo on the 1st goal or what?

4) Is Downing going to be back in the lineup? It would be a shame to move McCarthy off that line with Roloff and Stacey, they move the puck so well. Perhaps Irwin would be a better fit with Higgins/Marshall. Since neither of these 2 can score, maybe Irwin can hog the puck on this line...since he does not really like to pass.

5) Will the coaching staff get any sleep tonight? Should they?
                              Last edited by observer85; 01-29-2010, 11:38 PM.
                              Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

OUCH !!!

Grantfan, I will agree with you on one of your hockey points. Cullity is a liability when he is on the ice. Why he got a "c" is beyond me. He has always taken penalty after penalty. UVM gets called for one its a toss of the coin if it will be Cullity or one of the other 18 guys. He has throughout his career consistently take bad penalties. I think he needs to ride some pine for a game or two until he can control himself a tad better. It maybe 3 years too late, but there are still a lot of big games for the cats and they can't afford him on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X