2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

Snapdog2, "you have no clue" is MILD, not offensive and, in my opinion, does not require an apology.

I, too, liked Corey Carlson but was very, very disappointed in his offensive production. I agree with you that he lacked speed, but do we recruit 30-goal scorers from the USHL to become 5-goal scoring penalty killers? Can't we leave that role to players like Reese Wisnowski and Johnathan Higgins and Brett Leonard and Matt Marshall, minus the 5-goals, of course?

I wonder, in fact, I have NO CLUE, what Sneddon does to prolific junior players like Carlson and Dean Strong to stop them from scoring. I am learning that it is wonderful coaching, of course, but I have no clue. I understand that smarter fans than myself will explain there are other parts of the game than just scoring, like faceoffs. A great faceoff winning percentage really helps a team win (Strong). Well, we all remember one particular faceoff in Washington, DC, so smarter fans can enjoy winning faceoffs and I'll take a 6th goal from a guy who used to score before learning how not to score, along with classmate Carlson, from his college coach.

Snapdog2, respectfully speaking, how do you explain DeCenzo's junior career? How does he ring up a -41 and why is he not scoring this season?

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post
      how do you explain DeCenzo's junior career? How does he ring up a -41 and why is he not scoring this season?

Grantfan, let's say a player goes out and he scores 2 goals a game. And lets say that the teams goalie is a real sucky player and he gives up 5 goals a game. Of course as a coach you are playing your most gifted scorer as much as possible to try and score and offset the weakness at goal. So naturally the scorer is on the ice for many of the shltty goals being scored because the goalie is a sieve. Now lets be a little more realistic and say you guy averages 1 goal a game and your goalies give up 4, 4.7 and 5 GAA respectively. If you play 15 minutes a game then the odds you are on the ice for a GA are about 1 in 4 or 100%. Its pretty hard to rack up a "+" rating that way, and if you look you will find that not one single player has. Now, does that mean the kid can't skate, or that he can't score?? Nope it means the goalie sucks and one has nothing to do with the other.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

jcarter, the +/- statistic can mean nothing or it can mean something. If a player is a +3 or a -3, he was kind of along for the ride. If his + or - become extreme, say worst on the team (let alone in the league, as in DeCenzo's case), then it says he's hurting. And if he was just unlucky in amassing a -41, well, I don't ever like being with someone who is that unlucky!

If you were looking for offensive whizzes in the USHL last season and this season, you would not exactly think of Anthony DeCenzo. Now, if you were talking minus-players in the league last season, he'd come to mind immediately. I guess his -41 was a compliment to his offensive abilities. But then, looking at his scoring totals this season, it kind of makes you wish for the -41 days, doesn't it?

Someone was concerned about Lenz's -19. I tried to tell them they needn't be, that Sneddon will teach Lenz how to play defense. Like you, jc, I was wondering what the heck they were concerned about?

Sometimes, a player's play in juniors give good indication of what the player will do in college. Looking at this year's team, Colin Vock is playing great and producing points on a great line just like he did when he was on one of the best lines in the USHL with Kyle Okposo of the NY Islanders and Trevor Lewis of the LA Kings. Brayden Irwin is scoring goals with his big shot just like he did for the St. Michael's Buzzers and Justin Milo is scoring goals just like he did in the USHL. Even Wahs Stacey produces points just like he did in juniors.

Might we expect DeCenzo to play like Brian Roloff? If he has a career like Carlson's, I'll be disappointed. I have higher expectations for both Connor Brickley and Lenz than I do for DeCenzo. We'll see.

Some schools have recruits that are doing well in their final preparatory seasons before coming to school and give indications of what they might do in college hockey. For UVM, we now enjoy explaining away facts and reality in our recruits.
        Last edited by grantfan; 01-20-2010, 10:31 AM.

Comment

In thinking about the coming weekend series at U-Mass I went back and looked at the below links regarding the U-Mass Game from just before thanksgiving at the Gutt when Casey Wellman (3 goals) & James Marcou (5 assists) were on fire.

UVM’s special teams were horrible: 0-4 on the power-play and let up 3 out of 6 on the kill. Thought you all might find the below links of interest as well.

UVM v. U. Mass Box - Tuesday, November 24, 2009 – Interesting to see different lines than today.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/09...s/mumaver1.n24

UVM v. U Mass Video highlights -

http://www.youtube.com/uvmathletics#p/u/71/0TOb0Ld5n_E

Sneddon Post Game -

http://www.youtube.com/uvmathletics#p/u/74/HCGCir19FWQ

Roloff Post Game -

http://www.youtube.com/uvmathletics#p/u/73/6zxwI9VPGcc

Comment

Originally posted by 4035 View Post
            In thinking about the coming weekend series at U-Mass I went back and looked at the below links regarding the U-Mass Game from just before thanksgiving at the Gutt when Casey Wellman (3 goals) & James Marcou (5 assists) were on fire.

UVM’s special teams were horrible: 0-4 on the power-play and let up 3 out of 6 on the kill. Thought you all might find the below links of interest as well.

UVM v. U. Mass Box - Tuesday, November 24, 2009 – Interesting to see different lines than today.

Sneddon Post Game -

Roloff Post Game -

The key to this loss was Spillane's 6GAA and 0.80 save%. If you goalie can't stop more then 4 out of 5 shots you aren't going to win too many games.

Comment

I am convinced that the reason one player wears completely different equipment than all of the other players is so jcarter will know who to blame for goals and losses.

In the first UMass game, the UMass powerplay, that is, Marcou and Wellman, went through the UVM penalty kill like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

If Sneddon does not put a player on Marcou when UMass is on the PP and let the other UMass players try to beat us, he is, well, a Penrose Trophy candidate.

The story of the first UMass game was not Spillane, it was an utterly defenseless penalty kill system and unit. Remember, UVM was leading before the UMass PP took the game away from us in about 8 minutes. The UVM PK looked like it was playing in the wrong league that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                Grantfan, let's say a player goes out and he scores 2 goals a game. And lets say that the teams goalie is a real sucky player and he gives up 5 goals a game. Of course as a coach you are playing your most gifted scorer as much as possible to try and score and offset the weakness at goal. So naturally the scorer is on the ice for many of the shltty goals being scored because the goalie is a sieve. Now lets be a little more realistic and say you guy averages 1 goal a game and your goalies give up 4, 4.7 and 5 GAA respectively. If you play 15 minutes a game then the odds you are on the ice for a GA are about 1 in 4 or 100%. Its pretty hard to rack up a "+" rating that way, and if you look you will find that not one single player has. Now, does that mean the kid can't skate, or that he can't score?? Nope it means the goalie sucks and one has nothing to do with the other.
                In my humble opinion Grantfan 73 pts for a College Career as Corey put up is fantastic. It appears Vock, Roloff, Irwin, Milo had he did 4 yrs will have similar numbers. D1 is good hockey and I am very happy to see UVM being a Top 20 team and reaching the Frozen Four last year was awful special. Plus you guys got my Bulldogs the other weekend and they are very talented. Corey scored 30 pts roughly his 1st year in Juniors if you check the records and like 67 or so the 2nd year finishing like 3rd in scoring or fourth. Actually it was his 3rd year as he played some after his Senior year and the playoffs. Also remember he was on a potent team which directly affects plus minus. He played with Stastny and Howe and Kaufman. Yes you will get points playing on a line with these guys. Hey Corey was a scorer. So is DeCenzo. I believe DeCenzo has a little more speed and having a D1 player as a Father and Coach he has lived for this his whole life. Corey Carlson brought so much to the rink. I believe he was one of your smartest players. If he had Gerbe,s speed it would have been quite a package. I am happy UVM liked him and i so enjoyed being one of his biggest fans and UVM,s the last 4 yrs. His Father was my linemate for 12 yrs thru youth and High School. Anyways all I can say is I believe my eyes are pretty good and DeCenzo will pan. Lets wait and see. As for me I am still following UVM from afar and will even more when Anthony skates as a Catamount.

Comment

Originally posted by 4035 View Post

Sneddon Post Game -

Roloff Post Game -

Wow 4 posts and already in the red...who did you **** off?

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                    Wow 4 posts and already in the red...who did you **** off?
                    I think it is probably just initiation from UML/BC fans.

Comment

• Re: 2009-2010 Official Vermont Season Thread : The Sequel

I think it is probably just initiation from UML/BC fans.

wow they are whiny little *****es...

Comment

Originally posted by kdaddy View Post
                        wow they are whiny little *****es...
                        Well, they are actually fine if you just agree with them, nod, and praise UML/BC but for heaven's sake do NOT under any circumstances insinuate that they maybe wrong, have a different opinion or (gasp) say their team may not be as good as they think

I am sure that this post alone will cost me at least 5 neg reps.

Comment

for heaven's sake do NOT under any circumstances insinuate that they maybe wrong
                          [sic].

Also, jcarter, did you really just have a conversation with yourself by using all 4 of your aliases?
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

SIXTH PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Raise a banner!!!!!!!!!!
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Seventh*

I know, though, it's hard to keep all the mediocre teams like NU and UVM straight.
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Actually, I think we're tied for 7th (for now), and tied for 12th in pairwise. No need to raise a banner, but we're doing just fine thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X