Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Were the Days, or, Rekindling the Flame (Wars): BC visits UNH, Saturday, 11/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Those Were the Days, or, Rekindling the Flame (Wars): BC visits UNH, Saturday, 11

On the plus/minus stuff ... it's kind of hard to criticize Coach Umile for leaning on his top line tonight. We b!tch about the ice time given to the less experienced/less talented players, so when he tries to ride his top line against one of the top 2-3 talented teams in the league, and this happens, then it's not exactly shocking, is it?

I'll stop here 'cuz I wasn't at the game, and I don't know the time on ice, line match-ups, etc. but a 3 goal loss is hardly surprising here. I'm just disappointed that a poor 3rd period may end up setting DT back, despite a (slight) recent upturn in his play. And with a return to non-conference play coming up, performances and results need to follow, and soon.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Re: Those Were the Days, or, Rekindling the Flame (Wars): BC visits UNH, Saturday, 11

Poturalski was on the ice for five BC goals - two were horrid defensive turnovers where it wouldn't have mattered which F's were on the ice for UNH (as they were all caught out of the play) and one was an empty netter. A fourth was almost called back for a BC off-sides. I did not see the first-period short handed goal.

Remove the ENG & the two turnovers and he's a -1 (He also had the primary assist on the PP goal - for which he does not get a +). Not sure if its ever occurred to YOU Chuck, but sometimes statistics can be misleading..
      Last edited by Dan; 11-21-2015, 09:20 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Ouch.

Several of us who predicted 5-2 for BC didn't miss by much.

Shame UNH scored 3 goals and still never really had a shot at the win.

There goes the "unbeaten in HE" thing. 3-5-3 isn't quite "Champions of December" quality. Ugh.
        Meh...this game basically met my expectations. Tight, low-scoring game early, until BC wears UNH out in the third.
        UNH

Comment

Watching the 'Cats fend off the 5 on 3 was an awesome thing to see. We played them tight til the end of the third. Game far exceeded my expectations. We challenged Demko and other kids stepped up. Game not indicative of the score. Talked to a few of the team after and they are realistic and looking ahead. Onward 'Cats!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Watching the 'Cats fend off the 5 on 3 was an awesome thing to see. We played them tight til the end of the third. Game far exceeded my expectations. We challenged Demko and other kids stepped up. Game not indicative of the score. Talked to a few of the team after and they are realistic and looking ahead. Onward 'Cats!
            How many other teams have lit up Demko for three goals this season?

Totally unrelated, but JvR, Dan Winnik, and their Leaf mates got shut out 2-0 by Tuukka and the Bs on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Remove the ENG & the two turnovers and he's a -1 (He also had the primary assist on the PP goal - for which he does not get a +). Not sure if its ever occurred to YOU Chuck, but sometimes statistics can be misleading..
              if the dog didn't stop to...........................nice to see a near sellout up there last night. You catch us in between Beanpot Monday's for the rematch, so there's that at least

Comment

There goes the "unbeaten in HE" thing. 3-5-3 isn't quite "Champions of December" quality. Ugh.
                But Providence won again and remains unbeaten. So UNH still last team to beat the Friars. We still have that going for us.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

As always... the Whitt P.A. announcer never shuts up. He is constantly telling the folks in attendance where they should eat their food, buy their gas or where to deposit their money. "This UNH POWER PLAY is being brought to you by.....". A lot of this chatter is going on during play.

BUT... the S.O.B. can't tell you who assisted on a goal? That pizzes me off.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Darius the kind-hearted Welcome Wagon UNH ambassador
                    Turns out they actually do not enforce the meters on weekends. Who knew?
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      if the dog didn't stop to...........................nice to see a near sellout up there last night. You catch us in between Beanpot Monday's for the rematch, so there's that at least
                      So all minuses are the same? When Dawson falls down while under control of the puck, and preparing to make a D to D pass, and instead puts it right on a BC stick for a 3 on 1 break or when he butchers a pass receipt at the point leading to a 2 on none break towards an empty net those are reflections of Poturalskis defensive play last night??

He's not going to win any best defensive forward awards - but -4 is not a reflection of his game last night. It's a large sample size stat that balances out games like last night.

Additionally, the pro can criticize Poturalski all he wants - the kid is growing into an absolute stud. He and Kelleher are keeping UNH competitive on their own. Without those two, we're having a CC type season (the Tigers fell to 0-11 without scoring a goal this weekend, FYI). Period.

Their continued offensive output inspite of the fact they are the only two forwards opponents need to pay any attention to is amazing...
                      Last edited by Dan; 11-22-2015, 11:16 AM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

So all minuses are the same? When Dawson falls down while under control of the puck, and preparing to make a D to D pass, and instead puts it right on a BC stick for a 3 on 1 break or when he butchers a pass receipt at the point leading to a 2 on none break towards an empty net those are reflections of Poturalskis defensive play last night??

He's not going to win any best defensive forward awards - but -4 is not a reflection of his game last night. It's a large sample size stat that balances out games like last night.

Additionally, the pro can criticize Poturalski all he wants - the kid is growing into an absolute stud. He and Kelleher are keeping UNH competitive on their own. Without those two, we're having a CC type season (the Tigers fell to 0-11 without scoring a goal this weekend, FYI). Period.

Their continued offensive output inspite of the fact they are the only two forwards opponents need to pay any attention to is amazing...
                        Totally agree on the comment above. And heaven help us if he leaves next year! Can't even let my mind go there...nope. Anyhoo... Here's a quick vid I took of him at the Bruins Dev Camp last summer in a scrimmage. Workhorse, yep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOUj_UkYFE4

Comment

Poturalski was on the ice for five BC goals - two were horrid defensive turnovers where it wouldn't have mattered which F's were on the ice for UNH (as they were all caught out of the play) and one was an empty netter. A fourth was almost called back for a BC off-sides. I did not see the first-period short handed goal.

Actually I totally agree Dan, and my (immediate) follow-up post kind of went in that direction, didn't it?

UNH has a lot of problems out there, but the first line forwards (y'know, the real ones ) aren't one of them.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Actually I totally agree Dan, and my (immediate) follow-up post kind of went in that direction, didn't it?

UNH has a lot of problems out there, but the first line forwards (y'know, the real ones ) aren't one of them.
                            You did, I knew you'd agree and was joking because I know you hate your stats! Haha
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

We did lose the SOG stat, if anyone happened to notice. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                We did lose the SOG stat, if anyone happened to notice. :-)
                                Haha noticed! And funny we lost the game too...(well not THAT funny)

Comment

Working...
                                X