Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Even if you get the basic of basic cable, you get channel 999 for the game tonight. I am PUMPED!!!!
    You were pumped, but I'm pretty bummed. The game did not show up on Comcast's channel guide, so I couldn't record in advance. Before leaving for the women's game I asked my wife to push "the red record button" at 7:00. She did and that TV was still on, and on that channel, when I got home. I went to watch on the DVR and was happy that it was on! Gophers took a 1-0 lead on a beauty by Kloos, and I fast forward to the 2nd period. The game plays for a bit...then goes DARK! Game (recorded telecast) was over after one hour, which was about a third of the way into the 2nd period, and I was left hanging....with colored, vertical bars.

    I guess seeing about half the game is better than nothing, and the picture quality was better than expected. But with the outcome of the game very much in doubt, it left me very disappointed. Hopefully in the future MN State (and SCSU) can negotiate better TV deals than "Special Events" channel 999 that can't be recorded!

    At least both of my Gopher teams won, coincidentally by the same 4-0 score, so all-in-all it was a very good night. Hoping both teams find a way to sweep tomorrow. I'll be there for both, and hopefully when I get home I can watch the COMPLETE GAME of Minnesota retaining and taking the Floyd of Rosedale back home to Minneapolis.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

      Originally posted by D2D View Post
      You were pumped, but I'm pretty bummed. The game did not show up on Comcast's channel guide, so I couldn't record in advance. Before leaving for the women's game I asked my wife to push "the red record button" at 7:00. She did and that TV was still on, and on that channel, when I got home. I went to watch on the DVR and was happy that it was on! Gophers took a 1-0 lead on a beauty by Kloos, and I fast forward to the 2nd period. The game plays for a bit...then goes DARK! Game (recorded telecast) was over after one hour, which was about a third of the way into the 2nd period, and I was left hanging....with colored, vertical bars.

      I guess seeing about half the game is better than nothing, and the picture quality was better than expected. But with the outcome of the game very much in doubt, it left me very disappointed. Hopefully in the future MN State (and SCSU) can negotiate better TV deals than "Special Events" channel 999 that can't be recorded!

      At least both of my Gopher teams won, coincidentally by the same 4-0 score, so all-in-all it was a very good night. Hoping both teams find a way to sweep tomorrow. I'll be there for both, and hopefully when I get home I can watch the COMPLETE GAME of Minnesota retaining and taking the Floyd of Rosedale back home to Minneapolis.
      It was on tv. Can't complain about that, given the stories of other teams. Just sayin'. We are really spoiled, but since it's the "normal" for us, we feel slighted when we are NOT on tv somewhere.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

        Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        It was on tv. Can't complain about that, given the stories of other teams. Just sayin'. We are really spoiled, but since it's the "normal" for us, we feel slighted when we are NOT on tv somewhere.
        Yes, you are right, we are spoiled. But that spoiling process happened back in the day, when there were far fewer sports channels...and we were still in the WCHA. And even with fewer sports channels back then we could rely on a single channel - FSN - to broadcast all but a handful of games, mainly those in far-flung places like Alaska and Michigan Tech. Now the Gophs seem to be on a different channel every game - if they're on at all.

        Except for the TV situation, I really don't mind being in the Big Ten. Some day I still think it will prove to be the right move. One would THINK that with the move to the "big school league" the TV situation would be at least as good as it used to be. But other than not being on TV at all, this channel 999 thing was a new low for me.
        Last edited by D2D; 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

          The good news is that my expectations couldn't be any lower going into tonight's game.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

            Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Yes, you are right, we are spoiled. But that spoiling process happened back in the day, when there were far fewer sports channels...and we were still in the WCHA. And even with fewer sports channels back then we could rely on a single channel - FSN - to broadcast all but a handful of games, mainly those in far-flung places like Alaska and Michigan Tech. Now the Gophs seem to be on a different channel every game - if they're on at all.

            Except for the TV situation, I really don't mind being in the Big Ten. Some day I still think it will prove to be the right move. One would THINK that with the move to the "big school league" the TV situation would be at least as good as it used to be. But other than not being on TV at all, this channel 999 thing was a new low for me.
            The channel 999 is awesome, IMO. No special cable package to get the channel, etc. And MSU's broadcast is student-run, so I give a LOT of leeway in that regard. Frankly, last night's broadcast was infinitely better than the past broadcasts. I remember seeing MSU games, and the lighting/contrast was so bad, you couldn't see the red/bluelines on TV. Yeah. As for the puck? Good luck with that. You had to take an educated guess, depending on the players' positions.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

              Can somebody hit an f-ING open net?!?! This is getting ridiculous. So many scorers just flay out missing the net when they get the goalie out of position.

              Everyone keeps talking about missing leitnwr, but they are getting open nets and just not finishing.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                The channel 999 is awesome, IMO.
                I had no problem with the broadcast itself. Picture quality was not true HD but better than most SD. Good camera action, and the announcing team did a very good job. My gripe is really with Comcast, which did not have the game on its program guide, which in turn made it impossible to set the DVR in advance. And the "program" was not for the game, but one hour increments of the game, which was not brought to the viewers attention. I would think that all of these shortcomings could be easily fixed, while still making the games available to those not having a special cable package.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                  Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I had no problem with the broadcast itself. Picture quality was not true HD but better than most SD. Good camera action, and the announcing team did a very good job. My gripe is really with Comcast, which did not have the game on its program guide, which in turn made it impossible to set the DVR in advance. And the "program" was not for the game, but one hour increments of the game, which was not brought to the viewers attention. I would think that all of these shortcomings could be easily fixed, while still making the games available to those not having a special cable package.
                  I caved and payed the $8 since I live outstate so didn't get the game. First period had horrible buffering - freezing for up to 7 or 8 seconds a few times and constantly for 1 or 2. Got better as game went on but was still a little jerky. As for the broadcast, I missed the Bridsted move due to a freeze. On every other replay, they showed enough to watch the play develop. But despite the announcers gushing about Bridstedt's move, none of the replays started early enough to show the move, just the shot and goal.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                    Once Gophs finally woke up late in the first, they looked pretty good, with some lapses. Nice of the Mankato D to back off a couple times and let our little guys pick their spots. The Cows had some stretches of standing around watching instead of trying to answer Gopher stretches of intense play. They also missed a few nets (Letteri had a nice one too). I think we will be looking at a closer game tonight with a better effort from Mankato. Hopefully MN keeps up the intensity and doesn't start out flat again. I though maybe we were looking at another team that only shows up on Saturdays. A sweep would be a good start on improving odds of making the tourney, not that I have aspirations for this team to gel enough to be a contender.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                      Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Once Gophs finally woke up late in the first, they looked pretty good, with some lapses. Nice of the Mankato D to back off a couple times and let our little guys pick their spots. The Cows had some stretches of standing around watching instead of trying to answer Gopher stretches of intense play. They also missed a few nets (Letteri had a nice one too). I think we will be looking at a closer game tonight with a better effort from Mankato. Hopefully MN keeps up the intensity and doesn't start out flat again. I though maybe we were looking at another team that only shows up on Saturdays. A sweep would be a good start on improving odds of making the tourney, not that I have aspirations for this team to gel enough to be a contender.
                      To be honest I was expecting more from Mankato last night, especially at home, but like you say we may very well see that this evening. Hope the Gophers are prepared and don't let the home crowd down. For this team to win consistently they need to give more than just an "honest effort"; the old "110%" saying definitely applies year. We've seen how taking shifts off can really get them into trouble.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                        One other comment, for a change it was nice to see the OTHER TEAM give the puck up at the blue line, giving OUR TEAM the breakaway going the other way. And nicer yet that Kloos was able to cash in and make them pay!
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                          Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          One other comment, for a change it was nice to see the OTHER TEAM give the puck up at the blue line, giving OUR TEAM the breakaway going the other way. And nicer yet that Kloos was able to cash in and make them pay!
                          No kidding.
                          Kloos did a fantastic job setting up the screen.

                          Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


                          And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

                          ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                            Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            I had no problem with the broadcast itself. Picture quality was not true HD but better than most SD. Good camera action, and the announcing team did a very good job. My gripe is really with Comcast, which did not have the game on its program guide, which in turn made it impossible to set the DVR in advance. And the "program" was not for the game, but one hour increments of the game, which was not brought to the viewers attention. I would think that all of these shortcomings could be easily fixed, while still making the games available to those not having a special cable package.
                            The 999 channel has always been like that, though. It's like an "easter egg" channel, IMO.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                              Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              It's like an "easter egg" channel, IMO.
                              The channel is colorful, fragile on the outside but tasty on the inside, with a yellow center?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

                                Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                Except for the TV situation, I really don't mind being in the Big Ten. Some day I still think it will prove to be the right move. One would THINK that with the move to the "big school league" the TV situation would be at least as good as it used to be. But other than not being on TV at all, this channel 999 thing was a new low for me.
                                I get so sick of the constant complaining about tv especially with the defacto "blame the B1G," when it's changes at FSN that are as much, if not more to blame. I even find it a bit silly, since every game is available to watch, even if it isn't as simple as flipping on FSN anymore.

                                But having said that, this is one case where I think the U really is in a position to demand more. If the Gophers are going to continue to schedule the in-state schools on a rotation, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say that the other schools have to give up the broadcast rights to their home games and let the Gophers tv crews pick them up. I'm sure a financial split could be worked out for any money that's made on the games, and being that any game broadcast on FSN or BTN is going to be a win for fans of any of the other 4 schools too. If the other schools aren't interested in playing ball, then that opens up a lot more non-conference dates and opportunities to start playing some of the other old WCHA schools that aren't on the schedule anymore.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X