X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koho
    replied
    Re: Minnesota vs Mankato State: Home and Home 11/13 & 11/14

Once Gophs finally woke up late in the first, they looked pretty good, with some lapses. Nice of the Mankato D to back off a couple times and let our little guys pick their spots. The Cows had some stretches of standing around watching instead of trying to answer Gopher stretches of intense play. They also missed a few nets (Letteri had a nice one too). I think we will be looking at a closer game tonight with a better effort from Mankato. Hopefully MN keeps up the intensity and doesn't start out flat again. I though maybe we were looking at another team that only shows up on Saturdays. A sweep would be a good start on improving odds of making the tourney, not that I have aspirations for this team to gel enough to be a contender.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I had no problem with the broadcast itself. Picture quality was not true HD but better than most SD. Good camera action, and the announcing team did a very good job. My gripe is really with Comcast, which did not have the game on its program guide, which in turn made it impossible to set the DVR in advance. And the "program" was not for the game, but one hour increments of the game, which was not brought to the viewers attention. I would think that all of these shortcomings could be easily fixed, while still making the games available to those not having a special cable package.
    I caved and payed the $8 since I live outstate so didn't get the game. First period had horrible buffering - freezing for up to 7 or 8 seconds a few times and constantly for 1 or 2. Got better as game went on but was still a little jerky. As for the broadcast, I missed the Bridsted move due to a freeze. On every other replay, they showed enough to watch the play develop. But despite the announcers gushing about Bridstedt's move, none of the replays started early enough to show the move, just the shot and goal.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The channel 999 is awesome, IMO.
    I had no problem with the broadcast itself. Picture quality was not true HD but better than most SD. Good camera action, and the announcing team did a very good job. My gripe is really with Comcast, which did not have the game on its program guide, which in turn made it impossible to set the DVR in advance. And the "program" was not for the game, but one hour increments of the game, which was not brought to the viewers attention. I would think that all of these shortcomings could be easily fixed, while still making the games available to those not having a special cable package.

Leave a comment:

• Bale
    replied

Can somebody hit an f-ING open net?!?! This is getting ridiculous. So many scorers just flay out missing the net when they get the goalie out of position.

Everyone keeps talking about missing leitnwr, but they are getting open nets and just not finishing.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Yes, you are right, we are spoiled. But that spoiling process happened back in the day, when there were far fewer sports channels...and we were still in the WCHA. And even with fewer sports channels back then we could rely on a single channel - FSN - to broadcast all but a handful of games, mainly those in far-flung places like Alaska and Michigan Tech. Now the Gophs seem to be on a different channel every game - if they're on at all.

Except for the TV situation, I really don't mind being in the Big Ten. Some day I still think it will prove to be the right move. One would THINK that with the move to the "big school league" the TV situation would be at least as good as it used to be. But other than not being on TV at all, this channel 999 thing was a new low for me.
    The channel 999 is awesome, IMO. No special cable package to get the channel, etc. And MSU's broadcast is student-run, so I give a LOT of leeway in that regard. Frankly, last night's broadcast was infinitely better than the past broadcasts. I remember seeing MSU games, and the lighting/contrast was so bad, you couldn't see the red/bluelines on TV. Yeah. As for the puck? Good luck with that. You had to take an educated guess, depending on the players' positions.

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied

The good news is that my expectations couldn't be any lower going into tonight's game.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

It was on tv. Can't complain about that, given the stories of other teams. Just sayin'. We are really spoiled, but since it's the "normal" for us, we feel slighted when we are NOT on tv somewhere.
    Yes, you are right, we are spoiled. But that spoiling process happened back in the day, when there were far fewer sports channels...and we were still in the WCHA. And even with fewer sports channels back then we could rely on a single channel - FSN - to broadcast all but a handful of games, mainly those in far-flung places like Alaska and Michigan Tech. Now the Gophs seem to be on a different channel every game - if they're on at all.

Except for the TV situation, I really don't mind being in the Big Ten. Some day I still think it will prove to be the right move. One would THINK that with the move to the "big school league" the TV situation would be at least as good as it used to be. But other than not being on TV at all, this channel 999 thing was a new low for me.
    Last edited by D2D; 11-14-2015, 12:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

You were pumped, but I'm pretty bummed. The game did not show up on Comcast's channel guide, so I couldn't record in advance. Before leaving for the women's game I asked my wife to push "the red record button" at 7:00. She did and that TV was still on, and on that channel, when I got home. I went to watch on the DVR and was happy that it was on! Gophers took a 1-0 lead on a beauty by Kloos, and I fast forward to the 2nd period. The game plays for a bit...then goes DARK! Game (recorded telecast) was over after one hour, which was about a third of the way into the 2nd period, and I was left hanging....with colored, vertical bars.

I guess seeing about half the game is better than nothing, and the picture quality was better than expected. But with the outcome of the game very much in doubt, it left me very disappointed. Hopefully in the future MN State (and SCSU) can negotiate better TV deals than "Special Events" channel 999 that can't be recorded!

At least both of my Gopher teams won, coincidentally by the same 4-0 score, so all-in-all it was a very good night. Hoping both teams find a way to sweep tomorrow. I'll be there for both, and hopefully when I get home I can watch the COMPLETE GAME of Minnesota retaining and taking the Floyd of Rosedale back home to Minneapolis.
    It was on tv. Can't complain about that, given the stories of other teams. Just sayin'. We are really spoiled, but since it's the "normal" for us, we feel slighted when we are NOT on tv somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Even if you get the basic of basic cable, you get channel 999 for the game tonight. I am PUMPED!!!!
    You were pumped, but I'm pretty bummed. The game did not show up on Comcast's channel guide, so I couldn't record in advance. Before leaving for the women's game I asked my wife to push "the red record button" at 7:00. She did and that TV was still on, and on that channel, when I got home. I went to watch on the DVR and was happy that it was on! Gophers took a 1-0 lead on a beauty by Kloos, and I fast forward to the 2nd period. The game plays for a bit...then goes DARK! Game (recorded telecast) was over after one hour, which was about a third of the way into the 2nd period, and I was left hanging....with colored, vertical bars.

I guess seeing about half the game is better than nothing, and the picture quality was better than expected. But with the outcome of the game very much in doubt, it left me very disappointed. Hopefully in the future MN State (and SCSU) can negotiate better TV deals than "Special Events" channel 999 that can't be recorded!

At least both of my Gopher teams won, coincidentally by the same 4-0 score, so all-in-all it was a very good night. Hoping both teams find a way to sweep tomorrow. I'll be there for both, and hopefully when I get home I can watch the COMPLETE GAME of Minnesota retaining and taking the Floyd of Rosedale back home to Minneapolis.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
    Stop me if you have heard this one:
    Mavs control play for most of the first period but don't score....
    Then they lose steam and their goalie doesn't display the confidence he once had and they lose _-0
    First period was rather disjointed for both teams, IMO.
    Very boring game overall, little flow.
    MN's talent, however raw, showed. Not a knock on the Mavs, mind you, just one of those games.

Leave a comment:

• crossjcek
    replied

Stop me if you have heard this one:
    Mavs control play for most of the first period but don't score....
    Then they lose steam and their goalie doesn't display the confidence he once had and they lose _-0

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

Solid game for the plucky Gophers.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Even if you get the basic of basic cable, you get channel 999 for the game tonight. I am PUMPED!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 7outof10
    replied

its going to be a fun weekend of hockey I feel a split coming but I really want a mav sweep I am really hoping we can keep lots of the maroon and gold out of the building

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

It'll be a split. And that's tArrogance talking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X