St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Felt great to watch tonight's game, first one I've been able to watch since... Thanksgiving? Can anybody else find something to be disappointed in, because I've pretty much got nothin'. Fantastic 60 minute effort tonight, and a well earned 2 points over a quality team.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Felt great to watch tonight's game, first one I've been able to watch since... Thanksgiving? Can anybody else find something to be disappointed in, because I've pretty much got nothin'. Fantastic 60 minute effort tonight, and a well earned 2 points over a quality team.
      Not a thing at all ... We played a fantastic all around game tonight. Even though we did ramp it up a bit in the 3rd (again) we still played good the first two periods as well, so definitely a great all around effort for the guys!
      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Very glad I made the trip to Troy. I thought SLU had good energy on every shift for the entire game. They were a little off in terms of execution for the first few shifts, but overall looked pretty good in the first period. I actually thought RPI played well in the first as well. As the game went on, SLU kept getting stronger, and kept getting better and better scoring chances. They easily could have been up by 3 goals after the second period. It was great to see it all pay off in the end.

To me, the best part of this game was that even though the puck wouldn't go in the net for 55 minutes, the effort never changed. They just kept playing, kept defending, kept attacking, and kept skating. And even though I thought SLU had the better of play for most of the game, Hayton was the #1 star. He looked dialed in from the very beginning. And really, if he had lost focus even for a second, that game could have been very different. Kasdorf came up with a pile of quality stops, but Hayton had to come with his share as well, and he made sure things stayed even until the dam finally broke for the offense. I'm glad he got the shutout. This was really a well-earned win by the entire team.

Were those first two goals beauties or what?

Comment

Nice win ! Boy, you guys are streaky !
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Sorry I didn't get to join Tim at the game. I missed a beauty. Even though we were snowed in without power I wound up driving to a restaurant for dinner (late) and brought my laptop with me and was able to watch the last half of the second and the whole third period. I agree.........we got stronger as the game went on. By the third, RPI wasn't even a factor.
            Great game all around and LOVED that they were consistent and skating hard start to finish. That's the team we saw earlier in the year.
            Some other thoughts...........
            -Did anyone see the box score from the Clarkson/Union game? Although losing Union outshot them like 45 to something. So that 4-1 score might have been deceiving.
            -If we want to model a TV broadcast; that RPI FREE broadcast was great. I could not believe the quality of the broadcast. Best I have seen so far paid or otherwise. Picture
            was crystal clear, never froze up, blinked, no light trails behind players, no moray effect, nothing. I was really impressed by the multiple replays, the graphics where they put up a picture of the player and his stats. I don't know how many camera's they used but at the end when the credits rolled they listed about 8 different camera people. I'm assuming they didn't have that many and those were just people who work the cameras. Anyone from RPI reading this know how many camera's they used??? Great broadcast.

Thanks for all the updates/texts Tim.
            SLU

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              There is one thing to be disappointed in, or more accurately, concerned about, and that's that Sullivan had mild concussion symptoms and reportedly will miss tonight's game as a result of that boarding that wasn't called. But yes, the best, most exciting game of the year along with the Q game, both for SLU and for just the hockey in general.

Originally posted by TimU View Post
              To me, the best part of this game was that even though the puck wouldn't go in the net for 55 minutes, the effort never changed. They just kept playing, kept defending, kept attacking, and kept skating.
              Yes, that was indeed the best part of it. That's been this team's personality for the last two seasons, except for the mid-season slumps.

And even though I thought SLU had the better of play for most of the game, Hayton was the #1 star. He looked dialed in from the very beginning. And really, if he had lost focus even for a second, that game could have been very different. Kasdorf came up with a pile of quality stops, but Hayton had to come with his share as well, and he made sure things stayed even until the dam finally broke for the offense. I'm glad he got the shutout. This was really a well-earned win by the entire team.
              I'm a huge Kyle Hayton fan. I think a year from now, before he's even three full seasons in, he will be indisputably SLU's greatest goalie ever, above Sloan, Broadbelt, Perani, Heffler, McKenna, Petizian, and any others you want to name. And you're right -- that game was so tight that he had to be very focused from start to finish. Both last night and last weekend, he shot out his right leg for a pad save so fast that I swear he's a robot. But despite all that, I would give the first star to Mike Marnell. This is the second time this season that he's come out flying and had a huge impact in his first game back from an injury. Every time he got the puck, I felt that he was in total control of the game. Speaking of which...

Were those first two goals beauties or what?
              The assists on those first two goals were beauties. Thompson did a great job finishing them off, but those were "co-goals" by Marnell and Horn.

Originally posted by critsports View Post
              I don't know how many camera's they used but at the end when the credits rolled they listed about 8 different camera people. I'm assuming they didn't have that many and those were just people who work the cameras. Anyone from RPI reading this know how many camera's they used??? Great broadcast.
              On the Facebook fan page, Carol said they had six cameras. And being a photographer, she probably pays pretty good attention to that stuff!
              Canton High School '76
              SLU '81
              KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
              SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

All and all nice evening in Troy. Good pre game ribs at Dinosaur, well played, well deserved Saints victory and I won the 50/50!

Comment

That was a very strange game. I feel like SLU should have won by 3 goals, and I feel like they were lucky to tie, all at the same time. There were stretches where they just didn't look good, and for a while in the third period I thought they kind of lost their composure for several minutes. But once again, they persevered, and once again Hayton made some huge saves at key moments. And a 3-point weekend on the road is nothing to sneeze at. Would've been nice to get four, but that's much easier said than done.

Pritchard has been heating up lately, but tonight he was on fire. I felt like he was the best player out there. That's the guy I expected to see when he arrived in Canton. Great game, he was the MVP.

Comment

Normally I would be happy to tie a game like that considering we have seen similar games in the past few years where we ended up losing it (last years game at Union is one of them). However, as tight as the standings are at the moment (are they ever not tight in the ECAC?) a win would have been nice and it is a bit disappointing to not get the win. All in all though, as TimU pointed out, 3 points on the road is a very good result in this league. We still are unbeaten in our last 4 games and we are 4-1-1 in our last 6 games. Let's keep it rolling! Tough one coming up on Friday though.
                    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

When have we ever came away from a road weekend in the ECAC with 3 points and been disappointed?!? Well we are disappointed in this weekend and all that shows is the caliber team we have.
                      Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2m2 minutes ago
                        2016 Friendship Four in Belfast will be Nov. 25-26. UMass, Vermont, St. Lawrence and Quinnipiac. League games first night, like this year.
                        Belfast bound with Quinnipiac for the Saints.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Friendsgiving with our best friends from CT!

Side note, I very well may consider this trip, as I am supposed to be off work for that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            Belfast bound with Quinnipiac for the Saints.
                            I went over this year and had a heckuva time. The event itself was very well organized, the arena is modern and first-class, and the locals are surprisingly knowledgeable. Plus, the mother-of-all-hockey bars (Rockies) is on the ground level of the arena complex. Conveniently, the arena is right next door to the Titanic Museum, which is an attraction unto itself. I stayed on for about a week and went on to Dublin and Cork in the Irish Republic. Terrific overall experience.

My recommendation would be for you to start prodding your universities to sponsor an organized trip with some options on how long to stay.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

So it didn't take much twisting my Dad's arm when I called him tonight. Very excited to be able to cross the pond for Thanksgiving to see our boys play over there. Thanks for the nice review Split-N, sounds like it should be a blast.

Comment

Does St. Lawrence offer a free stream of men's hockey home games?

Comment

Working...
                                X