Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

    Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Hopefully so, I only saw the last period so I do not know what took place before that. As in all rivalry games, I am sure it was a heated atmosphere.
    Yeah.....except only one team showed up. Kyle's father confirmed that Kyle got butt ended in the neck and the ref asked him to leave the ice. So it's confirmed it had nothing to do with sportsmanship......he was just following the referee's instructions.

    Hope we can salvage something from this weekend. the play is going south in a hurry and there hasn't been any sign things are going to turn around. Not much time to get ready for Friday.
    SLU

    Comment


    • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

      Originally posted by critsports View Post
      Was told by one of the players parents that the ref's asked Kyle to leave the ice. (Given the scrums and penalty he took earlier in the game.) Sure hope that's the case as it would explain a lot and make us all feel a bit better about it.
      If that is the case then I withdraw my criticism of him. He did play a great game. If not for him SLU probably would have lost by 5 or 6 goals. Was the best game I have seen Clarkson play since they tied Quinny earlier in the season.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

      Comment


      • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

        I think in allot of ways the Clarkson game is indicative of how teams will play us in the second half if we don't change.

        If you noticed on our powerplay they posted up man on man up high. They did not allow the outnumbered situation and one-timer opportunity from the back end. This resulted in several blocked shots and a breakaway for them. I think when you have one of the worst powerplays in the nation you need to change what you are doing.

        The other thing they did well was rent space in our goal tender's head. Teams have got to look at this and know it can be used to their advantage.

        The job of the coaching staff is to get the team ready to play, I am not sure that was accomplished in this game based on Carvel's own comments.

        "We looked like a very tired team and one that was uninspired. It was a very poor effort on our part and it is hard to imagine why in a game against your biggest rival," said Saint coach Greg Carvel.

        Comment


        • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

          All of the excuses here and on FB about the long layoff/poor scheduling are a crock. Great teams overcome that kind of thing.

          I think last night's game was among Hayton's best. He put on a goaltending clinic and, NO, he did NOT pull a Billy Smith.
          GO SAINTS.

          Comment


          • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

            Fyi Saints fans - ESPN3 will be covering your game v Harvard.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

            Comment


            • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

              Big weekend ahead for the guys. A tough weekend with some tired legs. We will definitely see the resolve of the team this weekend in how they manage to battle through adversity.

              We are on the St. Lawrence hockey bus trip for this weekends games. A packed bus of about 50 of us loud and proud Saints fans are coming to town. Should be fun! Let's Go Saints! :-)
              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

              6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

              Comment


              • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                So . . .

                Yet another loss. Losing to Harvard is not a terrible thing by itself. The way it happened has to hurt. But if we're honest I think we have to admit that a 1-goal loss in Cambridge and a win in Hanover would be movement in the right direction. But tomorrow is a must-win if this season is to be anything other than a step backwards.

                Comment


                • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                  Originally posted by TimU View Post
                  So . . .

                  Yet another loss. Losing to Harvard is not a terrible thing by itself. The way it happened has to hurt. But if we're honest I think we have to admit that a 1-goal loss in Cambridge and a win in Hanover would be movement in the right direction. But tomorrow is a must-win if this season is to be anything other than a step backwards.
                  Tim, I thought you guys dominated the first two periods. Your defensive game plan was excellent and you showed no fatigue that I could see through the first 40 minutes. And let's face it, a player like Vesey can change a game in the blink of an eye which he did tonight and players like that are special.

                  I was surprised at how physical the Saints were tonight. We don't often see that from your team. There was some chippiness on both sides. Things calmed down in the third.

                  Good luck tomorrow night.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    Tim, I thought you guys dominated the first two periods. Your defensive game plan was excellent and you showed no fatigue that I could see through the first 40 minutes. And let's face it, a player like Vesey can change a game in the blink of an eye which he did tonight and players like that are special.

                    I was surprised at how physical the Saints were tonight. We don't often see that from your team. There was some chippiness on both sides. Things calmed down in the third.

                    Good luck tomorrow night.
                    Thanks. You guys as well.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      And let's face it, a player like Vesey can change a game in the blink of an eye which he did tonight and players like that are special.
                      We all remember how Greg Carey could change the game when he had the puck, but Vesey is likely an even more complete player. If I had been told that SLU would give up a hatty to him, I would have expected an uglier score.

                      Didn't watch, but glad to hear the boys brought it tonight. Let's hope they have 60 minutes left in the tank, hopefully salvage a split and turn the tide. Still a lot of hockey to be played, and a very good opportunity for redemption.

                      With the strength of the league nationally, a strong run these next 2 months could put us back where we started last weekend.

                      Comment


                      • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                        That was not what I was hoping for.

                        SLU played a good first period, and was very unlucky to be behind. And they looked good to start the third as well. But I have to be honest, they did not look like a team desperate for a win, and I can't say they looked determined to outwork Dartmouth. There were plenty of shots but they just couldn't finish off chances in close. Dartmouth had some good luck with bounces and SLU had some bad luck. It was not a bad effort and it could have gone differently. Still . . . we had a terrible time finishing. We got some timely PP opportunities and didn't do anything with them. And worst of all, there were some bad penalties, including a slash behind our net to negate a PP, and another slash 150 feet behind the play when we were trying to dig out of a 2-goal deficit. It's really hard for me to say we got anything other than we earned tonight. I'm sure everyone is tired and a normal week of practice will help. But it appears that whatever is going on has turned into more than just a bump in the road. This weekend was better than the Clarkson game by a lot, but still not enough. I thought Dartmouth had some nice moments, but they weren't great.

                        On to the next one.

                        Comment


                        • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                          Well, the "Nine Days From Hell" are over. Three injuries and five losses in nine days are as tough as it gets. I hope our Saints can overcome this stretch and get hot when it counts. GO SAINTS.
                          GO SAINTS.

                          Comment


                          • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                            Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            That was not what I was hoping for.

                            SLU played a good first period, and was very unlucky to be behind. And they looked good to start the third as well. But I have to be honest, they did not look like a team desperate for a win, and I can't say they looked determined to outwork Dartmouth. There were plenty of shots but they just couldn't finish off chances in close. Dartmouth had some good luck with bounces and SLU had some bad luck. It was not a bad effort and it could have gone differently. Still . . . we had a terrible time finishing. We got some timely PP opportunities and didn't do anything with them. And worst of all, there were some bad penalties, including a slash behind our net to negate a PP, and another slash 150 feet behind the play when we were trying to dig out of a 2-goal deficit. It's really hard for me to say we got anything other than we earned tonight. I'm sure everyone is tired and a normal week of practice will help. But it appears that whatever is going on has turned into more than just a bump in the road. This weekend was better than the Clarkson game by a lot, but still not enough. I thought Dartmouth had some nice moments, but they weren't great.

                            On to the next one.
                            Well put Tim. We have the next four games at home. Brown/Yale.....then Gate/Cornell. The majority of our remaining games are at Appleton. We need to dominate. Of that 4 game home schedule in the next two weeks we need 6 points. I think the top 4 dream is shot....home ice is what we are likely playing for now.

                            So much went right tonight but a few moments of stupidity cost us dearly. That and we really were pretty unlucky. Hopefully some of those freak bounces will start going our way. We had one tonight and one Friday night on the puck that went around the dasher and right to Vesey. We need a few of those going our way. I saw lot's of positives tonight that were missing in weeks past. Good passing, crisp breakouts, we used our speed to advantage....even had a short handed chance or two. Earlier this year I wasn't afraid when we went on the kill as we were as often as not getting better chances to score than the team on the PP.

                            Hope we can get healthy for next weekend.......and, time for some repercussions for these ongoing stupid penalties. Penalties are going to happen.....but the one's Tim referred to are the one's killing us. Those need to be eliminated. Feeling a lot more positive about the effort and execution tonight..........just looking for a few good finishers to raise their hand (and stick after a few more goals.)
                            SLU

                            Comment


                            • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                              I don't get you guys this year. I watched the Harvard game and you were as solid a team (outside of Quinny) as we have played all year. Fast, physical but not dirty, and a high compete level. You don't have the high end talent or the true difference makers, but that is where a guy like Hayton can play the great equalizer (and I would take him over any other goalie in the league regardless of what the stats say).

                              As long as your guys don't quit and stay together (and in the midst of a tough losing streak, that can be hard) - SLU is not a team I would want to see in the playoffs.

                              Comment


                              • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                                Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                I don't get you guys this year. I watched the Harvard game and you were as solid a team (outside of Quinny) as we have played all year. Fast, physical but not dirty, and a high compete level. You don't have the high end talent or the true difference makers, but that is where a guy like Hayton can play the great equalizer (and I would take him over any other goalie in the league regardless of what the stats say).

                                As long as your guys don't quit and stay together (and in the midst of a tough losing streak, that can be hard) - SLU is not a team I would want to see in the playoffs.
                                We don't get it either. I guess with goalies being as proficient as they are now.....we need some of that high end talent to finish. We are just not scoring. Our highest end talent is Hayton, Bayreuther, Sweetman. If we're not scoring from our "D".......the forwards just aren't picking up the slack. Everyone keys on our D particularly on the PP as they know those two plus Gluchowski can bomb it and they are taking that away from us. We need a sniper or two up front.
                                SLU

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X