Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

    Once again, that was dreadful! I think maybe we need to work on the schedule next year to make sure we are not off for this long of a stretch around the holiday season. Not sure if that is any part of the problem with the awful performance this weekend, but I think it was a big factor in it for sure. Also, we just came back off a first half of the season where we play well, have the best record after the first half for a Saints team in almost 10 years and we start off the weekend with lines being shuffled all over the place? Not a good idea! I understand getting some of them rest for this long stretch and trying to set the lineups to help with that by resting some players, but we shouldn't be worrying about all that right now. We needed to win these games, not worry about rest the week after being off for almost a month. We will be regretting this later when we are sitting on the outside of the NCAA tournament bubble looking to get in. It would have been nice if these games against Northeastern were last weekend and the Clarkson game was tonight. Any who, time to move on and now we have pretty much set ourselves up to be a we have to win the ECAC tournament to get into the NCAA tournament team. It's incredibly frustrating!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

    6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

    Comment


    • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

      Originally posted by TimU View Post
      Wow. Is that who we are?
      Hopefully it is only temporary. After the next three games we should know a lot about who we are.
      SLU

      Comment


      • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

        As a UVM fan I thought I would post this regarding Martin St Louis having his number retired (1st ever for UVM). As I have posted here before I think Marsh was one of the best coaches ever in college hockey and a class act all around so this was a nice commentary from him. Good luck on the rest of your season.



        Retired St. Lawrence University head coach Joe Marsh said, “Martin St. Louis was without doubt the best player we ever played against in my coaching career.

        “Through my friendship with Mike Gilligan and working hockey camps, I was able to get to know Marty and the thing that impressed me was both seeing how hard he worked and how committed he was to the game,” Marsh said. “He was dynamic in all facets and is arguably one of the best college players of all time. What he meant not only to Vermont, but the league, was extraordinary. He was fun to watch and as tough as he was to play against, I hated to see him go.”
        Last edited by Kdaddy1968; 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM.

        Comment


        • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

          Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
          Once again, that was dreadful! I think maybe we need to work on the schedule next year to make sure we are not off for this long of a stretch around the holiday season. Not sure if that is any part of the problem with the awful performance this weekend, but I think it was a big factor in it for sure. Also, we just came back off a first half of the season where we play well, have the best record after the first half for a Saints team in almost 10 years and we start off the weekend with lines being shuffled all over the place? Not a good idea! I understand getting some of them rest for this long stretch and trying to set the lineups to help with that by resting some players, but we shouldn't be worrying about all that right now. We needed to win these games, not worry about rest the week after being off for almost a month. We will be regretting this later when we are sitting on the outside of the NCAA tournament bubble looking to get in. It would have been nice if these games against Northeastern were last weekend and the Clarkson game was tonight. Any who, time to move on and now we have pretty much set ourselves up to be a we have to win the ECAC tournament to get into the NCAA tournament team. It's incredibly frustrating!
          I think we are being a little bit exposed. The team is essentially a real good goalie and three defensemen. The plan is to bomb from the back end and bang in rebounds. I think the words of the coach are pretty telling with regards to what is expected and what happened against Northeastern: "We got a lot of pucks around the net, we just couldn't bang one in," Carvel said. "They're a pretty a good team and they played well, we just couldn't get that ugly goal."

          Without ugly rebound goals or firing one straight in from the point, we have no offense. I have watched all the games this year and I struggle to think of one time we broke the puck out, got it to our forwards with speed and scored off the rush.

          The offensive strategy is pretty one dimensional. I am sure teams look at tape and will figure it out. Play the D tight and don't worry about the forwards.

          The power play is the same thing, work it around up top and either shoot or set up for a one-timer from the point and bang in the rebound. Never a passing play down low. It was impressive watching Northeastern work the puck down low on their powerplay and get a goal from the forward in the middle of the box.

          Perhaps this is all just working to your strength, but it is predictable. Good teams will figure it out.


          I hope I am wrong, but this is how it has looked all year. Definitely not a tournament team.

          Comment


          • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

            Originally posted by SaintFan View Post
            I think we are being a little bit exposed. The team is essentially a real good goalie and three defensemen. The plan is to bomb from the back end and bang in rebounds. I think the words of the coach are pretty telling with regards to what is expected and what happened against Northeastern: "We got a lot of pucks around the net, we just couldn't bang one in," Carvel said. "They're a pretty a good team and they played well, we just couldn't get that ugly goal."

            Without ugly rebound goals or firing one straight in from the point, we have no offense. I have watched all the games this year and I struggle to think of one time we broke the puck out, got it to our forwards with speed and scored off the rush.

            The offensive strategy is pretty one dimensional. I am sure teams look at tape and will figure it out. Play the D tight and don't worry about the forwards.

            The power play is the same thing, work it around up top and either shoot or set up for a one-timer from the point and bang in the rebound. Never a passing play down low. It was impressive watching Northeastern work the puck down low on their powerplay and get a goal from the forward in the middle of the box.

            Perhaps this is all just working to your strength, but it is predictable. Good teams will figure it out.


            I hope I am wrong, but this is how it has looked all year. Definitely not a tournament team.
            I actually agree with a lot of this and I too have noticed that we do this very same thing quite often. It is good to play to your strengths, yes, but it also makes it easier for opposing teams to read your offense and adjust when knowing what to expect. Carvy is fantastic coach with years of experience under his belt and I have a feeling this is either some sort of strategy to make things appears simpler then they are. Maybe once teams feel they have our style of play locked down we throw a few different looks in there that might catch the defense we are playing that night off guard. If teams prepare for us expecting one thing because we always seem to play that style and then we change it up a bit from time to time then the defenses won't be prepared and therefore it could be a long night for them. Of course, that could be just how I look at things haha.

            Big one tonight! Does anyone know if we have ever beat Clarkson three times in a row at Cheel? Let's Go Saints!!!
            Last edited by Saints#1; 01-12-2016, 05:27 PM.
            St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

            6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
            4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
            2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
            16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
            2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

            Comment


            • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

              Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
              As a UVM fan I thought I would post this regarding Martin St Louis having his number retired (1st ever for UVM). As I have posted here before I think Marsh was one of the best coaches ever in college hockey and a class act all around so this was a nice commentary from him. Good luck on the rest of your season.



              Retired St. Lawrence University head coach Joe Marsh said, “Martin St. Louis was without doubt the best player we ever played against in my coaching career.

              “Through my friendship with Mike Gilligan and working hockey camps, I was able to get to know Marty and the thing that impressed me was both seeing how hard he worked and how committed he was to the game,” Marsh said. “He was dynamic in all facets and is arguably one of the best college players of all time. What he meant not only to Vermont, but the league, was extraordinary. He was fun to watch and as tough as he was to play against, I hated to see him go.”
              I think I can safely say that we all miss Coach Marsh. He was such a class act. The program is in great hands now, but there will never be another like Coach Marsh, that is for sure.

              Thanks for the well wishes. Good luck to UVM the rest of the way as well!
              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

              6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

              Comment


              • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                Comment


                • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                  I have to ask again: Is that who we are?

                  Comment


                  • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                    Originally posted by TimU View Post
                    I have to ask again: Is that who we are?
                    Sure looks like it to me Tim . Bush league play by Hayton leaving the ice and not shaking hands at the end of the game.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

                    Comment


                    • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                      I agree completely, one shot and out, no-one setting on the back door on our powerplays, no forecheck, cannot enter the zone with complete control of the puck---this weekend will tell how far this team is going
                      brashersaintsfan

                      Comment


                      • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                        Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        Bush league play by Hayton leaving the ice and not shaking hands at the end of the game.
                        The Clarkson webcast announcers ( who weren't horrible) actually had a discussion about Hayton's immaturity when rattled on the ice and how other teams may use it against him. They even backed up a replay where Hayton took a swing at a Clarkson players head while the action was continuing in his own zone. Be a tough call to give the kid pine time for not shaking hands, but maybe it is warranted.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

                        Comment


                        • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                          P.S. I'm agreeing with Saint Fan's earlier post
                          brashersaintsfan

                          Comment


                          • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                            Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Can't even get a job flipping Burgers in the North Country anymore Joe.

                            Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            I have to ask again: Is that who we are?
                            To not show up in a big rivalry game is inexcusable. The excuse last weekend was rink rust, lack of game action with 26 days off since the last game. What's tonight's reason? Tired from playing on the weekend?

                            Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Sure looks like it to me Tim . Bush league play by Hayton leaving the ice and not shaking hands at the end of the game.
                            I agree Vic. I love our coaching staff. I'd put them up against any staff at any program in the country. However I think it's time to send some messages. Carvy complains about "undisciplined penalties" costing us. Well after a butt end...Gluchowski should not have been playing tonight. He should have been forced by the staff to sit out a game. Our staff is great and they talk all the time about playing the game the way it is meant to be played. Love how Sweetman in particular body checks. But....butt ending is unacceptable from a SLU Player. He should have sat tonight.
                            Hayton played wonderfully tonight. Kept us in the game despite the onslaught of shots and quality chances by Clarkson. But he took an undisciplined penalty punching a player in the face and as Vic pointed out he left the ice without going through the handshake line. He should sit the next game. Time to let these boys turn into men and realize there are consequences for your actions even in the protected bubble that college sports is.
                            SLU

                            Comment


                            • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                              Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              The Clarkson webcast announcers ( who weren't horrible) actually had a discussion about Hayton's immaturity when rattled on the ice and how other teams may use it against him. They even backed up a replay where Hayton took a swing at a Clarkson players head while the action was continuing in his own zone. Be a tough call to give the kid pine time for not shaking hands, but maybe it is warranted.
                              Was told by one of the players parents that the ref's asked Kyle to leave the ice. (Given the scrums and penalty he took earlier in the game.) Sure hope that's the case as it would explain a lot and make us all feel a bit better about it.
                              SLU

                              Comment


                              • Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                                Originally posted by critsports View Post
                                Was told by one of the players parents that the ref's asked Kyle to leave the ice. (Given the scrums and penalty he took earlier in the game.) Sure hope that's the case as it would explain a lot and make us all feel a bit better about it.
                                Hopefully so, I only saw the last period so I do not know what took place before that. As in all rivalry games, I am sure it was a heated atmosphere.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X