Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Welcome to ECAC hockey. We've had it happen to us several times.
    Not last night.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

      Originally posted by critsports View Post
      An ugly win tonight. But as Tim U says.........an ugly win is better than a pretty loss....
      At least you're getting ugly wins. We're losing ugly. We may, MAY get 25 conference goals this season.

      And, if you read the Roundtable, the natives are getting restless.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

        Originally posted by joecct View Post
        At least you're getting ugly wins. We're losing ugly. We may, MAY get 25 conference goals this season.

        And, if you read the Roundtable, the natives are getting restless.
        You know Joe.......having seen your boys play a couple of times on TV (Internet) and with the start to the season you had........I think were all just as shocked as you are. Yale is struggling to losing to Princeton last night after getting shut out by Q Pac the night before. Q and Cornell are separating themselves....Harvard seems poised to move up the standings.......It looks like the fourth spot will be the one fought for at this rate.
        SLU

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

          Nice bounce back win for the Saints over Colgate. Now comes a couple of important out of conference games this weekend.

          Don't let UVM's record fool you. They beat BU on Friday and should have won on Saturday. While these are non conference games they are important in the PWR.

          SLU will have to bring their A game both nights.

          I'll be at the GUT Friday night with some of the Tupper Lake faithful. Many others on here making the game?
          SLU '97

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

            Well I for one don't agree SLU will be fighting for fourth spot. I see us finishing at least 2nd again. After having watched both the Quinnipiac and Cornell games I am confident that we can beat any team on any given night. I thought we were the better team in both of those games but unfortunately didn't get rewarded with two wins. I don't think we've played our best hockey yet. If our powerplay was even operating at 15pct which still isn't very good I think we would have 3 more wins. It's got to get better! I also think with the exception of the McGovern line which is playing very well the other lines can be better. I expect more from the Ward and Thompson lines. I also think Lough's line gets better every game and was our best line against Cornell. With our speed if we get our transition game going like we did at times last year I think we can be scary good! With the exception of the RPI game the "D" has been solid. I like the make-up. Would like to seem them move the puck up quicker to the forwards to take advantage of our speed. Hayton has been real good but I believe he can play even better. I think he's capable of out goaltending the best goalies in the league and if he can do this consistently watch out! I'm very excited about this years team and what their potential may be.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

              Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
              Nice bounce back win for the Saints over Colgate. Now comes a couple of important out of conference games this weekend.

              Don't let UVM's record fool you. They beat BU on Friday and should have won on Saturday. While these are non conference games they are important in the PWR.

              SLU will have to bring their A game both nights.

              I'll be at the GUT Friday night with some of the Tupper Lake faithful. Many others on here making the game?
              Mike and I will be there.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                Originally posted by slufan View Post
                Well I for one don't agree SLU will be fighting for fourth spot. I see us finishing at least 2nd again. After having watched both the Quinnipiac and Cornell games I am confident that we can beat any team on any given night. I thought we were the better team in both of those games but unfortunately didn't get rewarded with two wins. I don't think we've played our best hockey yet. If our powerplay was even operating at 15pct which still isn't very good I think we would have 3 more wins. It's got to get better! I also think with the exception of the McGovern line which is playing very well the other lines can be better. I expect more from the Ward and Thompson lines. I also think Lough's line gets better every game and was our best line against Cornell. With our speed if we get our transition game going like we did at times last year I think we can be scary good! With the exception of the RPI game the "D" has been solid. I like the make-up. Would like to seem them move the puck up quicker to the forwards to take advantage of our speed. Hayton has been real good but I believe he can play even better. I think he's capable of out goaltending the best goalies in the league and if he can do this consistently watch out! I'm very excited about this years team and what their potential may be.
                I don't think anyone questions the potential. But there are a lot of "ifs" there.

                We've played a third of the season and so far SLU is not the second-best team. Doesn't mean they can't be, but there are quite a few things that need to improve. I still think we have a really good team, but Harvard and Quinnipiac are stacked, and Cornell to this point has actually played to its potential. Ylae is singing a tune not so different from ours in terms of its best hockey being ahead of it. Hard to imagine RPI duplicating its results in the second half (they seem to have been dominated and somehow come up on top in close, and weird, games several times), but you never know. They earned those points and nobody can take them away.

                I agree 100% that SLU can beat any team on any given night. But a number of other teams can say the same thing. The ECAC is Quinnipiac's to lose. I would like to see SLU battling for second, but that fourth spot is nothing to sneeze at. Whoever gets it will have to play a lot of good hockey along the way.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                  Look we have played one less game than the teams ahead of us or we would be tied for 3rd place now. We have also played a lot of road games. Cornell is simply not as good as their record. We outplayed them in their home rink and lost. I only counted about four scoring chances for them in that game. The first goal they scored was because of an incorrect read on the play and some mis-communication. I believe Cornell will fade along with RPI. Quinnipiac is the real deal and I do not expect to catch them. However that being said their goalie and team in general I don't think can play any better and when we played them in their rink we were the better team and deserved to win. As their own coach said their goalie probably played his best game ever against us. Harvard does not have four strong lines and I believe we will wear them down as the game goes on like RPI did this past weekend.

                  We have proved we are very good 5 on 5. The powerplay has to get better and will be a welcomed addition. Our powerplay is too focused on the points. Needs to move the puck quicker and take advantage of what the other team gives us similar to Colgate. I think it will also help to have Dahl back. I just really like our team speed. I'm looking for guys like Ward, Thompson, Lough and Marnell among others to get hot at some point.

                  In my opinion it's going to be an exciting year!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by TimU View Post
                    Mike and I will be there.
                    If you can't get there the games should be on nsnsports.net
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

                    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016




                      former Colorado College player
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM.
                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post



                        former Colorado College player
                        Sweet!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                          On the surface it looks like he will be coming in with 2.5 years of eligibility and will likely need to sit out the first half of next year. Stats and his info are here:

                          http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=143640

                          It appears he is an offensive minded defenseman. Boy this SLU team and future teams are stacked at defense and half lots of depth!

                          Congrats to all on this commitment!
                          SLU '97

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                            With the commitment of Garret Cecere one observation to note is the openness of coach Carvel and staff to bring in players who have less than 4 years of eligibility. You don't see that much in college hockey, but it appears Carvy is keeping his eyes peeled and if the talent is there even if they only have 2-3 years to play they are open to the idea of bringing them in.

                            Current examples on the team now are Ward and Horn. Both very good players I am happy we have.
                            Last edited by Spaceman; 12-09-2015, 08:07 AM.
                            SLU '97

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                              Nice.

                              I believe Pat, Erik and my wife will be heading to Ruben James before the game. Let me know if you want to join us.
                              SLU '97

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

                                The University of Vermont men’s hockey team will be without four key players for part or all of the Catamounts’ home-and-home non-conference series with St. Lawrence University this weekend. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...east/77073422/
                                SLU '97

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X