1989 Never Happened: MN Hosts Harvard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Never Happened: MN Hosts Harvard

I still refuse to congratulate Harvard on the win that never happened.

Game notes - per Driftryder's post in the MN seaon thread.

Minnesota (9-10-1) vs. Harvard (2-8-2)
    Date: Friday-Saturday, Jan. 8-9
    Time: 7 p.m.
    Series History: Minnesota leads 20-6-0
    Radio: WCCO830 AM -Fri. / KNOF95.3 FM- Sat. - Wally Shaver and Glen Sonmor
    Television: Fox Sports North (tape on Sat.) - Frank Mazzocco and Doug Woog

Minnesota and Harvard meet for the first time in over 10 years when the Crimson visit Mariucci Arena for a two-game non-conference series. The Gophers enter the weekend having won four of their last five games, though they suffered a 4-2 loss in their most recent outing against Northern Michigan. This weekend's games mark Minnesota's final non-conference games of the season.

Last Time Out
    Despite a season-high 50 shots on goal, the Gophers lost to Northern Michigan 4-2 in the title game of the DodgeHoliday Classic last weekend, snapping their four-game winning streak. Minnesota owned a 50-23 advantage in shots, but Wildcats' goaltender Brian Schwartz made 48 saves. Mike Hoeffel and Jacob Cepis each had goals for the Gophers. Hoeffel also had the game-winning goal with 2:50 left in the third period of a 3-1 win over Bowling Green in the first round.

Series History
    Minnesota leads the all-time series 20-6, including a 12-2 advantage over the last 14 meetings. Both of Harvard's wins during that span came in Frozen Fours in 1989 and 1983 as the teams have played five times in the Frozen Four. TheGophers and Crimson are playing for the first time sinceDec. 29, 1999 when the Gophers posted a 5-2 win in the DodgeHoliday Classic. Minnesota has only played Harvard in Boston twice, coming in 1963 and 1932 at the Boston Garden.

About the Crimson
    Harvard snapped a 10-game winless streak with a 3-1 win over nationally-ranked Quinnipiac on Dec. 29 in its first game following the holiday break. The Crimson beat Dartmouth to open the year and picked up its second win last week. Junior Kyle Richter made 36 saves in the victory and leads the team with a 3.55 goals against average and .900 save percentage for the season. The Crimson are playing their first road game since Nov. 14 after playing seven straight home games. Four of their eight losses are by one goal. Junior Michael Biega leads the team in scoring with four goals and eight assists for 12 points. Freshman Conor Morrison is the top goal-scorer with six goals for the season. Harvard ranks 54th of 58 teams nationally in scoring defense, allowing 3.92 goals per game. The Crimson have also allowed 14 power play goals in 56 chances for a 25.0 opponents power play percentage.

Hoeffel Heating Up
    Junior forward Mike Hoeffel brings a four-game scoring streak into the weekend and had a goal in each game of the Dodge Holiday Classic. Hoeffel also added an assist against Bowling Green to earn all-tournament honors. Hoeffel leads the team with 10 goals and 15 points for the season. He has six points over the past four games, including two power play goals.

Shooting Gallery
    The Gophers put 50 shots on goal in their loss to Northern Michigan, marking the first time they've had 50 shots in defeat since putting 51 shots on goal in an 8-7 overtime loss to St. Cloud State on March 17, 2006.

Firing Squad
    Minnesota has outshot nine of its last 12 opponents and is averaging 34.1 shots on goal during that span. In the Gophers' first eight games of the season, they outshot just two opponents and averaged 26.5 shots on goal per game. Defensively they've also improved, allowing 33.9 shots over the first eight games and 27.9 shots during the past 12 contests. The Gophers have held their opponents to 25 shots or fewer in five straight games.

Dynamite Debut
    Junior forward Jacob Cepis had a solid debut weekend for the Gophers while playing his first career game against his former team. He transferred from Bowling Green at semester break last season and put a team-high six shots on goal against the Falcons. Cepis scored his first goal against Northern Michigan the following night while putting four shots on net.

Record Setter
    Sophomore forward Jordan Schroeder helped the United States win a gold medal and became the Americans' all-time leading scorer in the World Junior Hockey Championships with three goals and five assists in the recent tournament in Canada. He played in three World Junior tournaments and surpassed Jeremy Roenick as the U.S. career scoring leader with 27 points. Schroeder was already the all-time assists leader and now has 20 for his career, which is six more than previous record-holder Doug Weight and third all-time among players from all countries. He is the first Gopher to win a World Juniors gold medal. Schroeder missed last week's Dodge Classic, but will play this weekend.

Streak Speak
    Minnesota's recent four-game winning streak was its longest since a memorable four-game streak from March 15-21, 2008 that resulted in a run to the WCHA Final Five championship game. The Gophers won three of those games in 2008 in overtime and another on a goal with 13 seconds left in regulation.

Road Warriors
    The Gophers' current four-game road winning streak is their longest since winning five straight from Jan. 13-Feb. 17, 2007 when they beat Wisconsin and swept consecutive series at Alaska Anchorage and Colorado College. In fact, the Gophers had won back-to-back road games just twice since that streak with one of those being the consecutive WCHA playoff wins at Minnesota State in 2008.

Battling Back
    Minnesota trailed Bowling Green 1-0 through two periods before rallying for its first win this season when trailing after two periods. The Gophers' only victory last year when trailing after two periods was also in the Dodge Holiday Classic against Northeastern. Minnesota is now 1-7 this year when behind at the second intermission.

Strength of Schedule
    Minnesota played 11 of its first 14 games this season against teams in this week's national rankings. The Gophers played six different nationally-ranked squads. Following this week's series, they will see four straight games against ranked foes when they take on North Dakota and St. Cloud State the next two weekends.

Saturday Night Fever
    Saturdays have been the Gophers' best night of the week as they have a 6-2-1 record, while posting a 3-8 mark on Fridays and Sundays. Minnesota has outscored its opponents 32-19 on Saturdays and been outscored 37-18 on the other days of the week.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Re: 1989 Never Happened: MN Hosts Harvard

Another opportunity for the gophes to prove their ineptitude. Is that a word?
    Bob is making me concerned
    I am the voice of reason

Comment

I am rooting for hilarity.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
        Ineptitude is indeed a word. Haven't you ever watched the Detroit Lions?
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'm making the trek out and could not be more excited. Thanks to all the Minnesota fans for their thoughtful recommendations on places to eat in Minneapolis.

Oh...and 1989 did happen. I have the DVD to prove it

Comment

It is.

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            I'm making the trek out and could not be more excited. Thanks to all the Minnesota fans for their thoughtful recommendations on places to eat in Minneapolis.

Enjoy your trip and watching your obviously doctored DVD.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post

It'll be like a cake eater summit!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                It'll be THE cake eater summit!
                FYP
                Originally posted by solovsfett
                To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately it = the State of Minnesota 2009.

Comment

MN Sweeps
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Of course it is. Google "St. Cloud State in the NCAA tournament". You'll see the word used frequently there.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Of course it is. Google "St. Cloud State in the NCAA tournament". You'll see the word used frequently there.
                        Original.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          Original.
                          To be fair to goldy, Skeeter did serve it up to him pretty well.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                            To be fair to goldy, Skeeter did serve it up to him pretty well.
                            I could take a Skeets post and segue into practically anything.

Comment

Harvard sucks. (c)
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X