Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Union (Fri., 11/23) & RPI (Sat., 11/24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan @ Union (Fri., 11/23) & RPI (Sat., 11/24)

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    Not everyone's like you. A normal person would probably fly.
    Hey now, what's wrong with a little road trip? The journey is part of the joy of the trip. Plus, I'm sure for westerners, 600 miles is typical.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      If you can't find anything to do in the Capital District, then you aren't looking very hard. BTW, both Troy AND Schenectady also have a Bombers.
      Good to know. I don't frequent the CD unless I'm going to AMCH or St. Peters (other than for hockey), so the Bombers in Albany is always closer.

I've been to the Dinosaur in Syracuse and Crotchfester ... never knew there was one in the CD.
      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
      12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
        Good to know. I don't frequent the CD unless I'm going to AMCH or St. Peters (other than for hockey), so the Bombers in Albany is always closer.

I've been to the Dinosaur in Syracuse and Crotchfester ... never knew there was one in the CD.

Right down the hill from RPI, next to Riverfront Park in downtown Troy. Right on the water. Also the biggest one in the state. When standing in the Dinosaur parking lot, if you look across River St. and a little to the left, you can see Bombers.
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          I hope this trip also disproves the theory that Michigan doesn't travel for nc series, although only one game each.
          But both RPI and Union had to agree to each play 2 games at Michigan for them to go to the NY CD. RPI played two games last year there and Union will play two there next year.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            So you all know, we are used to old rinks. Yost is the second oldest building being used for a college hockey rink. Although, it's only been used for hockey since the early 70's.

The recent renovation helps a lot, but most of us were there with the old wood benches, and the closed end feel. Used to have places with dust you could measure with a ruler.
            I miss Yost. The current building isn't Yost, it feels like a can of sardines...
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Places to get food/beverages in Schenectady: You actually have lots of good choices, but near the campus here are a few worth checking out:
              Katie O'Byrnes, The Van Dyck, Clinton's Ditch, Wolff's Biergarten. If you want to drive a little farther away Recovery Room in Rotterdam is nice too. There's really no shortage of options.

I've been to a lot of cities. Every town has its charm and decent spots and things to do. As someone else said, if you can't "find anything to do" you just aren't trying very hard. In schen there's a couple nice museums, and central park - just a couple obvious ones.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                I miss Yost. The current building isn't Yost, it feels like a can of sardines...
                I guess we are in the minority who love the current yost. After +20 years in a cave, this is really nice. And +20 years of a gloomy exterior, seeing it is also really nice.

(the time frame is mine, as I started watching in 1990)

Comment

I've never been to Union's arena, but I see it described in this thread as "similarly old" to the Houston Field House.

I suppose the term "similarly" is open to broad interpretation, but I would tend to think that RPI's Field House is the older of the two by 20 or more years.

When I graduated from RPI in 1970, the hockey team had completed its 21st season playing home games at the Field House (which had not yet been named for former RPI President Livingston Houston). Union did not yet have a varsity team. They had a club team, but I don't know where the club team played or practiced.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to when the current Union hockey arena opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    But both RPI and Union had to agree to each play 2 games at Michigan for them to go to the NY CD. RPI played two games last year there and Union will play two there next year.
                    Union played a single game at Yost a couple years ago. I thought this was the return favor. I know RPI was there at T'giving last season, but, like an agreement with BU back aorund 08-09, U-M returned for single meetings last season and the year before. I thought that was what was going on here. Still, I had not seen U-M travel for nc games because of the restrictive CCHA schedule which only allowed for 5-6 nc games- with two of those at the GLI. I don't think it had much to do with anything beyond economics and the schedule limitations before.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      I guess we are in the minority who love the current yost. After +20 years in a cave, this is really nice. And +20 years of a gloomy exterior, seeing it is also really nice.

(the time frame is mine, as I started watching in 1990)
                      What I miss most about current Yost has nothing to do with the renovations which were badly needed. Most of my dismay is the overall dead atmosphere filled with semi-Wolverine football fans posing as hockey fans now that the previous admin ran off most of the large, knowledgable student section, and the cheap canned music + goal horn (which now appears to have been muted.)

Comment

What I miss most about current Yost has nothing to do with the renovations which were badly needed. Most of my dismay is the overall dead atmosphere filled with semi-Wolverine football fans posing as hockey fans now that the previous admin ran off most of the large, knowledgable student section, and the cheap canned music + goal horn (which now appears to have been muted.)
                        There is still canned music though, much to my dismay. It's still at the Football stadium too!
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

What I miss most about the current HFH is not having the band on the stage on the east end. I also don't like the fact that the WRPI and visiting broadcasters no longer broadcast from the catwalk. I am very happy that most of the poles were removed back in the early 1980s.

Edit: What I really don't like is that we lose too much.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

... and the cheap canned music + goal horn (which now appears to have been muted.)
                            I think that was more of a technical issue than a change in philosophy. I expect the goal horn to be back. For better or worse...
                            Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                              I think that was more of a technical issue than a change in philosophy. I expect the goal horn to be back. For better or worse...
                              Someone needs to make sure some plug is left behind, then.

As for the hockey- it will be interesting to see how this team plays on the road- they looked reasonably together last weekend, and there are no appearances of issues. But those always come up more when you are away from home.

Comment

I think the travel had a lot to do with the two third period losses in Alaska, That being said, they had to travel the same distance back to Troy. I hope they have made the adjustment and can carry their play for sixty minutes.
                                Unfortunately, I will not be around to witness or listen to the game. Take good notes.

lets go red!!!!!!
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X