No announcement yet.

BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we need it, I'm sure the portal will be kind to us in terms of a seasoned goalie (maybe from one of the Ivies). What goalie wouldn't want to play behind what the roster will look like next year?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post
      If we need it, I'm sure the portal will be kind to us in terms of a seasoned goalie (maybe from one of the Ivies). What goalie wouldn't want to play behind what the roster will look like next year?!
      Going to have A LOT of freshmen, so definitely some.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post

Going to have A LOT of freshmen, so definitely some.
        A lot of VERY good freshmen (and sophs).

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

No. Craig Simpson was 16 part of his freshman year until he turned 17 late in the season, February 15th. (Smiley)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Simpson
          Did Mike Cammalleri play as a 17 yo at Michigan in the late 90's his entire freshman year?

Comment

• Over the next 2 seasons, the transfer portal combined with the extra year of COVID eligibility will result in more flux for many programs. It's very possible there are current Seniors at BU who could utilize their extra year of eligibility by remaining at BU next season. If that occurs, then the coaching staff is faced with the challenge of which of the projected incoming Freshmen may be deferred (and in some cases, again)?

The risk there is a potential parting of ways between the commit and with BU if that player wants to play D1 next season. Not to mention the risk/reward proposition of retaining any current Senior for their 5th season and where they might fit in next season's lineup...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              I think it's 90% likely that Drew is gone after this season. Getting your degree (via summer school classes) in 3-years and going pro seems to be the new model for drafted goalies. And God knows the Blackhawks can use all the help they can get.

I'm sure that Vinny and the US Under 18 kid is the plan. Coach 'em up!
              I am 99.999999999% Drew would be signing after this BU season. No way Chicago lets him come back for his senior season and risk losing him to free agency. None.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                Over the next 2 seasons, the transfer portal combined with the extra year of COVID eligibility will result in more flux for many programs. It's very possible there are current Seniors at BU who could utilize their extra year of eligibility by remaining at BU next season. If that occurs, then the coaching staff is faced with the challenge of which of the projected incoming Freshmen may be deferred (and in some cases, again)?

The risk there is a potential parting of ways between the commit and with BU if that player wants to play D1 next season. Not to mention the risk/reward proposition of retaining any current Senior for their 5th season and where they might fit in next season's lineup...
                Very interesting questions, especially when you add scholarship money into the equation.

One man's opinion - I don't see guys like Brown, Skoog, McCarthy, O'Brien and Fensore as candidates for an "extra" season. Two guys I'd like to see stay would be Sam Stevens and Jamie Armstrong. Solid defenders, good on faceoffs (Stevens), score often enough for 3rd/4th liners. Skate them with Zabeneh, and there's a real good 3rd or 4th line, plus PK. Again, just a view from the sidelines, recognizing that coaches/players preferences, $$, experience vs new talent considerations will drive the decisions.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Very interesting questions, especially when you add scholarship money into the equation.

One man's opinion - I don't see guys like Brown, Skoog, McCarthy, O'Brien and Fensore as candidates for an "extra" season. Two guys I'd like to see stay would be Sam Stevens and Jamie Armstrong. Solid defenders, good on faceoffs (Stevens), score often enough for 3rd/4th liners. Skate them with Zabeneh, and there's a real good 3rd or 4th line, plus PK. Again, just a view from the sidelines, recognizing that coaches/players preferences, $$, experience vs new talent considerations will drive the decisions.
                  Depending how the season pans out there could be a mass exodus of talent - Tuch, Peterson, Commesso are all in that jr season post draft and NHL teams don't want to risk losing them if they stay their senior season and turn to free agency. Brown and Skoog could absolutely garner NHL offers and since they weren't drafted it would be a no brainer for them to take it. OBrien although drafted by Flyers I believe he will become a free agent if he isnt already and is a 1998 birth year so would be looking to turn pro sooner than later? Weber is a junior and could also sign given he was drafted in 2019 and would become a free agent. Lots of moving pieces.....they could all come back as well....Fensore is ready for the next level as well….

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                    Over the next 2 seasons, the transfer portal combined with the extra year of COVID eligibility will result in more flux for many programs. It's very possible there are current Seniors at BU who could utilize their extra year of eligibility by remaining at BU next season. If that occurs, then the coaching staff is faced with the challenge of which of the projected incoming Freshmen may be deferred (and in some cases, again)?

There are six senior forwards on the team and including Celebrini, who apparently is accelerating, there are seven incoming. Many are older and will have used up their junior eligibility. Shane Lachance, Jack Harvey and Nick Roukounakis will be 20. Jack Gorton and Doug Grimes will be 21. Michael LaStarza just turned 19. Not much wiggle room there.

Ty Gallagher ended up at BU when Notre Dame added two grad transfer defensemen (Blackmun from Lowell, Karashik from UConn) and asked him to defer. He declined. He describes getting a call from Albie and quickly changing his commitment in a new podcast interview with The Boston Hockey Blog crew (nice job by Caroline and James) https://open.spotify.com/episode/6EE...8efac408b&nd=1

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      Weber is a junior and could also sign given he was drafted in 2019 and would become a free agent. Lots of moving pieces.....they could all come back as well....Fensore is ready for the next level as well….
                      I believe since Webber played a year of Jr.A before coming to BU (and post draft), I don't think that counts as a year towards his signing period. If I'm correct, he'd only be able to sign with Carolina this summer, unless rights are traded.

Comment

• Originally posted by hydrant View Post

I believe since Webber played a year of Jr.A before coming to BU (and post draft), I don't think that counts as a year towards his signing period. If I'm correct, he'd only be able to sign with Carolina this summer, unless rights are traded.
                        Side note - Seniors I expect that could potentially use another year of eligibility are: Stevens, Armstrong, Phillips. Even potentially Copeland if he wants to.

Comment

• I think Commesso will leave. Tuch and Peterson haven't exactly been tearing it up so I'm not sure how aggressive Montreal and St. Louis will be to sign them. They could still turn into NHLers, but not without at least a couple years in the AHL, IMHO. I think Skoog will get many offers and I think has a very good chance to play in the NHL within a couple years. He has turned into Coyle/Greenway in terms of protecting the puck, he's got a good shot, and he plays with a bit of an edge. I hope Brown makes it to the NHL, but with his smaller size, I'm not sure he overcomes that with any of his other skills. I think O'Brien is a long-shot to be an NHLer, as disappointing as that might be for Flyers fans.I agree that Stevens and Armstrong would be great 5th year guys.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            I think Commesso will leave. Tuch and Peterson haven't exactly been tearing it up so I'm not sure how aggressive Montreal and St. Louis will be to sign them. They could still turn into NHLers, but not without at least a couple years in the AHL, IMHO. I think Skoog will get many offers and I think has a very good chance to play in the NHL within a couple years. He has turned into Coyle/Greenway in terms of protecting the puck, he's got a good shot, and he plays with a bit of an edge. I hope Brown makes it to the NHL, but with his smaller size, I'm not sure he overcomes that with any of his other skills. I think O'Brien is a long-shot to be an NHLer, as disappointing as that might be for Flyers fans.I agree that Stevens and Armstrong would be great 5th year guys.
                            Idle speculation - Brown's size and skillset may be a good match for Euro league hockey?

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post

Idle speculation - Brown's size and skillset may be a good match for Euro league hockey?
                              I think Browns stature is an asset in todays NHL. Reminds of Brad Marchand type size. Thick. I am sure he will have a ton of NHL teams calling for his services as it will cost them nothing to sign him (as in draft pick compensation, etc.).

Comment

• Macklin Celebrini, after scoring two third-period goals vs. the NTDP U17s, is tied with Jack Harvey for the USHL points lead (45) in seven fewer games. He's two behind Harvey in goals (23). Now expected to arrive on Comm Ave next September.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoSteel/sta...au7aI1N_XarsMQ

https://twitter.com/ChicagoSteel/sta...au7aI1N_XarsMQ

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X