No announcement yet.

BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU gets its third commitment in a week, '04 SSM forward and Montreal native Michael La Starza. NEHJ's Cox calls him "one of the more highly regarded Canadian players in his birth year" whose "skating, puck skills and hockey sense are all high-end." Led SSM 16U in scoring (24-42-66). Ranked #10 for the Q draft before tendering with USHL Waterloo (similar to Bowers' path).
    NEHJ:

I’ve seen La Starza several times with Shattuck-St. Mary’s and in a couple of summer showcases in New England. La Starza was the best player in the Junior Chowder Cup last summer. He produces because of his shiftiness and ability to make plays in small areas. His edge work was very good and he was able to get space for himself and his teammates.
    More on the blog.
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• 2021 recruit Quinn Hutson scored twice in the BCHL Penticton Vees’ Peach Cup intra-squad game last night, leading Team White to a 4-0 win against Blue. Hutston had 51 goals last season for North Jersey Avalanche 16U Premier.
      https://www.pentictonvees.ca/game-re...ches-cup-crown
      https://twitter.com/PentictonVees/st...222553088?s=20

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
        BU gets commitments from two high-end forwards for 2022: 6'4" Tabor forward Shane Lachance, son of Scott Lachance and grandson of Jack Parker; and Jack Musa, a 5'8" forward from Trinity-Pawling and North Jersey Avalanche 16U.

More on the blog

Saw LaChance a lot at Andover HS. You could see the physical tools were there, but I thought he walked through many games. Played to the level of competition without a whole lot of desire. Perhaps that's changed at Tabor?

https://www.andovertownsman.com/spor...2cfa50ebd.html

Comment

• All three 2021 BU recruits on the NTDP U18s—Jeremy Wilmer, Tyler Boucher and defenseman Roman Schmidt—found the net in Team USA’s 5-0 shutout of NAHL Austin. Boucher, who also had an assist, and Wilmer each recorded their third goal in as many games.
          Wilmer https://twitter.com/USAHockeyNTDP/st...90138860777476
          Boucher https://twitter.com/USAHockeyNTDP/st...00590864908289
          Schmidt https://twitter.com/USAHockeyNTDP/st...187591168?s=20

Comment

• Six BU recruits made NHL Central Scouting’s players-to-watch rankings for the 2021 draft. NTDP U18 defenseman Roman Schmidt received an A-rating, while his teammate, forward Tyler Boucher got a B-rating. Four received a C-rating: U18 forward Jeremy Wilmer; West Kelowna defenseman Charles-Alexis Legault; Tabor forward Shane Lachance; and Thayer forward Nick Roukounakis. Schmidt, Boucher, Legault and Wilmer are 2021 recruits.
            https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/a...-file/file.pdf

Comment

• 2021 recruit Quinn Hutson scored a hat trick and added an assist in Penticton’s 6-3 win over Vernon. Hutson, a right wing, leads all goal scorers in the BCHL pre-season tournament with 9. tinyurl.com/y56k58ko

Comment

• BU gets a commitment for 2021-22 from NAHL Maryland Black Bears RD Thomas Jarman. 6'3", 200. Primarily a defensive defenseman. 4-13-17 with 113 PIMs in 50 games last season. Teammate of Wilmer Skoog first half of last season. tinyurl.com/y4vgux43

NEHJ:"Jarman isn’t the household name of many of BU’s recruits, but it’s a solid commit for the Terriers. He’s likely to stay all four seasons, provide depth, and be more of a defensive defenseman, unlike many of the program’s NHL draft picks on the blue line."

https://www.marylandblackbears.com/2...on-university/
                Last edited by Rogie21; 11-26-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• 2021 recruit Quinn Hutson has left the Penticton Vees and joined the USHL Muskegon Lumberjacks due to the delay in starting the BCHL's regular season. The right-shot forward had scored 17 points in a 14-game pre-season tournament, second best for the Vees. Since joining the Lumberjacks in mid-December, Hutson has 5 points (3G,2A), all coming in his last three games.

Comment

• It seems like Tyler Boucher and to a slightly lesser extent, Jeremy Wilmer have hardly played any games this year. Does anyone know if either of them have actual injuries? I also wonder if there may be a thought to push either of them back a year if this has been somewhat of a lost year of development for them.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      It seems like Tyler Boucher and to a slightly lesser extent, Jeremy Wilmer have hardly played any games this year. Does anyone know if either of them have actual injuries? I also wonder if there may be a thought to push either of them back a year if this has been somewhat of a lost year of development for them.
                      Real question is will there be any room for them to come in? NCAA has awarded everyone another year of eligibility so technically you can return the entire team. I would assume Ferrance is a no brainer to leave and possibly Cockerill? Team may not have room for any incoming freshman - this will be a major issue across the NCAA as teams wont have room for incoming class of commits.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        It seems like Tyler Boucher and to a slightly lesser extent, Jeremy Wilmer have hardly played any games this year. Does anyone know if either of them have actual injuries? I also wonder if there may be a thought to push either of them back a year if this has been somewhat of a lost year of development for them.
                        I’d been wondering about Boucher’s status for a while. One source with NTDP connections was unable to get an answer, but a contributor to the Flyers’ NHL.com site tweeted a month ago:
                        Speedy recovery to USNTDP winger Tyler Boucher from a knee injury that could sideline him 6-to-8 weeks. The son of @FlyersAlumni goalie and TV commentator, @BrianBoucher33 , Tyler played for the Jr. Flyers. Committed to BU for 2021-22, he is a solid prospect for 2021 NHL Draft.
                        His last game was Jan. 14, but he also was out of the line-up all of December. Boucher, who received a B-ranking from Central Scouting's Watch List, was off to a strong start to his U18 season with 10 points in 10 games, including goals in each of the first six games. Plus two goals in a start with U17s. One frequent NTDP observer said he’d made the biggest jump from U17 to U18 of anyone this season. Boucher is a 6’1”, 200 lb. power forward who loves to hit.

Wilmer (5'7") has played 26 of the U18s’ 30 games and has a 10-19-29 line. He’s been out of the line-up the past two games. Previously was playing right wing on the top line, although he’d been a center with the N.Jersey Avalanche. The third U18 headed to BU next year is 6’5” RD Roman Schmidt, who also got a B-ranking.
                        Last edited by Rogie21; 02-15-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• NHL.com's latest look at draft-eligible players to watch includes 2021 recruit Tyler Boucher, a power forward, and 2023 recruit Shane Lachance.
                          http://www.nhl.com/news/cole-silling...ft/c-323712120

Tyler Boucher (6-1, 205), RW, USA U-18 (USHL): The son of Brian Boucher, a goalie for 13 NHL seasons, has established himself as a power forward in the 2021 draft and is a B-rated skater on NHL Central Scouting's players to watch list. The 18-year-old is progressing well after sustaining a knee injury Jan. 14 and is expected to return to the ice in May. He scored 11 points (six goals, five assists) in 12 games (0.92 points per game) this season after scoring 26 points (nine goals, 17 assists) in 43 games for the Under-17 team in 2019-20.

"You don't get to this level without compete and work ethic and the things that separate you, because eventually you're going to be with just as talented or more talented players, but what Tyler brings to the table is a lot of skill," NHL Central Scouting's senior manager David Gregory said. "He's got very good vision and hockey sense and can fly with the puck, but at the same time he's thinking to make the right play, so that's a deadly combination."

Shane Lachance (6-4, 195), LW, Boston Jr. Bruins (NCDC): The 17-year-old is the son of former NHL forward Scott Lachance and grandson of United States Hockey Hall of Famer and former Boston University coach Jack Parker. The C-rated skater scored 15 points (six goals, nine assists), five power-play points (three goals, two assists) and two game-winners in 25 regular-season games for the Junior Bruins of the National Collegiate Development Conference.

"Shane is a really interesting player; here's a guy that has really good hockey sense," Gregory said. "He's impressive in tight situations for a big guy with nice hands and he's gotten a lot bigger over the last couple of years. His skating has gotten a lot better from last year to this year."

TSN's Bob McKenzie projects Boucher at #40 for the upcoming draft and has 6'5" defenseman Roman Schmidt at #55.

Comment

• At the World U18s in Michigan last night 2022 recruit Lane Hutson set up Team USA's tying goal in the third period and then scored the only goal in the shootout to give the US the extra points in a 2-1 win against The Czech Republic. (video). He had three assists in a 7-6 OT exhibition game loss to Russia.
                            Asst Dir. of Scouting @LastWordOnPuck tweeted:
                            Lane Hutson is one of the smartest players I’ve watched in the last 12 months. Seriously. His hockey IQ and ability to think quick is incredible. He combines it with great hands and super-smooth skating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              At the World U18s in Michigan last night 2022 recruit Lane Hutson set up Team USA's tying goal in the third period and then scored the only goal in the shootout to give the US the extra points in a 2-1 win against The Czech Republic. (video). He had three assists in a 7-6 OT exhibition game loss to Russia.
                              Asst Dir. of Scouting @LastWordOnPuck tweeted:
                              small correction- In a brilliant move tournament was moved to Texas a couple of months ago to avoid virus restrictions and most likely cancellation

Comment

• Hutson's play at the World U18s continues to get positive reviews.
                                https://www.si.com/hockey/news/lane-...-a-small-frame

Excerpts from feature piece in New England Hockey Journal (subscription) on 2021 recruit RW Tyler Boucher, who has missed most of the season with a leg injury. Father is ex-NHL goalie Brian Boucher. His U18 coach, Dan Muse, says:
                                “Tyler is a power forward who also has the skill-set where he can make plays with anybody. He’s a guy who plays a powerful, physical game. He can create space for those guys who are around him. In terms of getting in on the forecheck, finishing checks, driving the net and driving defenders wide, he’s able to create space with and without the puck, and he leads with power. He plays a (Washington Capitals right wing) Tom Wilson type of game. It’s not just physical and power, there’s also a skill element to it. He has a great shot, a hard release. He can score from distance and around the net.”
                                Boucher, who earned a B-rating from NHL Central Scouting, says he wants to be “physical and mean out there.”

“I wanted to anger people. But at the same time, I can use my skills, too. My coaches and my dad helped me find that. My dad said to me halfway through the year that I needed to watch Tom Wilson, (Calgary Flames left wing) Matthew Tkachuk and (Montreal Canadiens right wing) Josh Anderson. Those three players, that has to be me. Ever since then, I’ve been watching them and adding stuff that I see in their games to my game. At the same time, I’m also my own player and my own version of that. I try to play that mean, hard, powerful, skill game.”

Comment

Working...
                                X