Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
    Any speculation on who might not be coming? Might it be Jay O'Brien?
    Or could it be related to Skoog coming early? I guess in terms of actual roster spots, the fact that he arrived early wouldn't change the numbers for next year. Other forwards for next years class besides O'Brien are: Tuch, Peterson, Connors, Carrabes, and Zabaneh.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Drew Commesso had a strong performance in the BioSteel All-American game, stopping 10 of 11 shots including a breakaway. The only goal he gave up went off a diving d-man's stick. Central Scouting ranked him #2 among N.American goalies for the 2020 draft.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Or could it be related to Skoog coming early? I guess in terms of actual roster spots, the fact that he arrived early wouldn't change the numbers for next year. Other forwards for next years class besides O'Brien are: Tuch, Peterson, Connors, Carrabes, and Zabaneh.
        BU would need to replace 5 forwards (Curry, Harper, Chabot, Brink, Zegras -- assuming he's 1-and-done) and would have the following 5 forwards currently slated to come this Fall:

O'Brien
        Peterson
        Shlaine
        Tuch
        Zabaneh

I believe Carrabes and Connors are 2021-22 commits; both would be 20 years old as Freshmen.

Comment

I may have missed this but are they red-shirting Amonte?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I may have missed this but are they red-shirting Amonte?
            Yes; he'll have 2 years' eligibility remaining. Next year's projected forward corps could be:

Seniors
            Cockerill
            Witkowski

Juniors
            Amonte (redshirt)
            deBoer
            Quercia
            Wise

Sophomores
            O'Brien (PC transfer)
            Armstrong
            Boguslavsky
            Mastrosimone
            Phillips
            Skoog
            Stevens

Freshmen
            Peterson
            Shlaine
            Tuch
            Zabaneh

17 forwards. A deep group if anything barring any other roster changes after this season.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                Artem Shlaine who was expected to come in fall of 2021 has signed his NLI for next fall. Could possibly mean a forward expected to come next year will not be coming.
                Going back to this, it is possible Shlaine is coming early because 2020 recruit Cade Webber went down with a season ending injury for Penticton. Maybe Webber's injury will keep him out next year too (which would lead us to bring Shlaine early), cannot find what the injury is exactly but season ending must be bad. Just a conspiracy.
                IMO Webber out for next year would not be worst case scenario because only defenseman I see leaving early is Farrance, which would leave our top 6
                -Crotty
                -Kasper
                -Fensore
                -Vlasic
                -McCarthy
                -Doyle
                Yet there is no evidence that Cade Webber will miss next year too, Penticton hasn't released what exactly the injury is. All this is just my crazy conspiracy to bring Shlaine in early.

Comment

The Hockey Writers: Commesso Might Be Second-Best Goalie in 2020 NHL Draft
                  https://thehockeywriters.com/prospec...messo-lambert/

Comment

BU recruit news from The Draft Analyst:

G Drew Commesso (Ranked No. 156) – If you were going to base the NHL upside of a draft-eligible prospect off of just one tournament or small stretch of games, then watching Commesso play at the Five Nations would lead you to believe he’s a lock for the first or second round. Much like 2019 first-round pick Spencer Knight, Commesso plays like he has ice water in his veins. You rarely see him out of position or make a movement that isn’t fluid and doctrinally sound. Most followers of this year’s NTDP 18’s will tell you that this group has played a ton of close games against the best competition in three circuits – the USHL, the NCAA, and international tournaments, and Commesso has pooled together several stellar performances in each of them. One thing is certain – the future Boston University Terrier significantly outplayed Yaroslav Askarov in this tournament, which was something Knight couldn’t do last February. I think I’ve seen enough of Commesso the last two months to give him a significant boost in my next rankings.

LW Luke Tuch (Ranked No. 60) – Tuch is one of my favorite draft-eligible players to watch for a variety of reasons. Yes, he has those NHL bloodlines from big-brother Alex, who was a first-round pick in 2014 and a regular with the Vegas Golden Knights. Luke, unsurprisingly, is a hard-charging power winger who uses his speed and puck control to frequently attack the inside, even against top-rated defenders with the fleetest of feet. Tuch is a hunter on the prowl in the neutral zone; one who looks for telegraphed passes to pick off or an unassuming puck carrier to nail into the boards. Although it’s nearly impossible to not notice Tuch on a given shift, his best performance was in a 3-2 win over Russia in which he scored an insurance goal after setting up Jake Sanderson’s wrister that opened the scoring. His physicality, quick stick and strong puck protection are critical to the success of the NTDP’s top line with center Thomas Bordeleau and Landon Slaggert.

C/RW Dylan Peterson (Ranked No. 142) – It’s starting to become very clear that I was a bit harsh for really dropping the hammer on Peterson for having a slow start to his draft season. Before I did so, however, I consulted with a couple of trustworthy people who confirmed that he wasn’t playing well but reiterated that Peterson’s potential for greater things still remained. Nonetheless, the California native has put together a nice second-half run, and his play at the Five Nations should be considered another feather in his cap. For what it’s worth, I ranked Peterson 45th in my August rakings that were based off his mean, dominant play with the 17’s last year. In the Czech Republic, and several weeks leading up to the tournament, Peterson has been an absolute pain to play against. It’s at the point where it goes without saying that he will treat the opening seconds of every shift as a violent seek-and-destroy mission to separate opponents from the puck and turn or keep the momentum in his favor. From then on, however, you get to see Peterson make sausage the old-fashioned way – winning board battles, protecting the puck, outmuscling defensemen for low-slot positioning, and stickhandling under control in the face of pressure. He can skate like the wind when you consider how big and thick he is — a key aspect of the allure his game exudes. Still, Peterson playing unbridled can have its drawbacks, specifically in the form of low-percentage (and inaccurate) shots and undisciplined penalties at inopportune times. In any event, you once again saw why scouts are in love with this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      BU recruit news from The Draft Analyst:

G Drew Commesso (Ranked No. 156) – If you were going to base the NHL upside of a draft-eligible prospect off of just one tournament or small stretch of games, then watching Commesso play at the Five Nations would lead you to believe he’s a lock for the first or second round. Much like 2019 first-round pick Spencer Knight, Commesso plays like he has ice water in his veins. You rarely see him out of position or make a movement that isn’t fluid and doctrinally sound. Most followers of this year’s NTDP 18’s will tell you that this group has played a ton of close games against the best competition in three circuits – the USHL, the NCAA, and international tournaments, and Commesso has pooled together several stellar performances in each of them. One thing is certain – the future Boston University Terrier significantly outplayed Yaroslav Askarov in this tournament, which was something Knight couldn’t do last February. I think I’ve seen enough of Commesso the last two months to give him a significant boost in my next rankings.

LW Luke Tuch (Ranked No. 60) – Tuch is one of my favorite draft-eligible players to watch for a variety of reasons. Yes, he has those NHL bloodlines from big-brother Alex, who was a first-round pick in 2014 and a regular with the Vegas Golden Knights. Luke, unsurprisingly, is a hard-charging power winger who uses his speed and puck control to frequently attack the inside, even against top-rated defenders with the fleetest of feet. Tuch is a hunter on the prowl in the neutral zone; one who looks for telegraphed passes to pick off or an unassuming puck carrier to nail into the boards. Although it’s nearly impossible to not notice Tuch on a given shift, his best performance was in a 3-2 win over Russia in which he scored an insurance goal after setting up Jake Sanderson’s wrister that opened the scoring. His physicality, quick stick and strong puck protection are critical to the success of the NTDP’s top line with center Thomas Bordeleau and Landon Slaggert.

C/RW Dylan Peterson (Ranked No. 142) – It’s starting to become very clear that I was a bit harsh for really dropping the hammer on Peterson for having a slow start to his draft season. Before I did so, however, I consulted with a couple of trustworthy people who confirmed that he wasn’t playing well but reiterated that Peterson’s potential for greater things still remained. Nonetheless, the California native has put together a nice second-half run, and his play at the Five Nations should be considered another feather in his cap. For what it’s worth, I ranked Peterson 45th in my August rakings that were based off his mean, dominant play with the 17’s last year. In the Czech Republic, and several weeks leading up to the tournament, Peterson has been an absolute pain to play against. It’s at the point where it goes without saying that he will treat the opening seconds of every shift as a violent seek-and-destroy mission to separate opponents from the puck and turn or keep the momentum in his favor. From then on, however, you get to see Peterson make sausage the old-fashioned way – winning board battles, protecting the puck, outmuscling defensemen for low-slot positioning, and stickhandling under control in the face of pressure. He can skate like the wind when you consider how big and thick he is — a key aspect of the allure his game exudes. Still, Peterson playing unbridled can have its drawbacks, specifically in the form of low-percentage (and inaccurate) shots and undisciplined penalties at inopportune times. In any event, you once again saw why scouts are in love with this kid.
                      Imagine these guys skating with Zegras and Ferrance next season? I want it to be 1997. *sigh*
                      It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                        Imagine these guys skating with Zegras and Ferrance next season? I want it to be 1997. *sigh*
                        Dreeeeeeeeaaaaam dream
                        Dreamdreamdream
                        Dreeeeeeeeeaaaaam dream
                        Dreamdreamdream
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Two 2021/22 recrruits will be playing in the BCHL next year. Quinn Hutson will be playing for Penticton (Fabbro, Amonte, Jay O'brien alum) and Liam Connors will be playing for Trail Smoke Eaters. Both teams are losing a ton of production so hopefully these two will have an opportunity to step into those roles.

Comment

2022 recruits Lane Hutson and Devin Kaplan, both from the North Jersey Avalanche 16U, named to next year's NTDP U17 roster. Their 2019-20 stats:

LD Hutson 65 GP, 27 goals, 71 assists,
                            RW Kaplan 32 GP 19 goals, 39 assists

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                              Two 2021/22 recrruits will be playing in the BCHL next year. Quinn Hutson will be playing for Penticton (Fabbro, Amonte, Jay O'brien alum) and Liam Connors will be playing for Trail Smoke Eaters. Both teams are losing a ton of production so hopefully these two will have an opportunity to step into those roles.
                              Trail Smoke Eaters ... Grant Rollheiser.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                                Trail Smoke Eaters ... Grant Rollheiser.
                                Best team nickname in junior hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X