Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota vs UMD: 10/16 & 10/17

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    So the Gophers were outshot, had little consistent offense, had few scoring chances, and were dominated by UMD - yet Minnesota "gave the game away"?

Ok, just checking.
    Give your opponent 6 unnecessary PPs, it kills momentum and most likely you give that game away. The 2 PP goals were ultimately the difference in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      Give your opponent 6 unnecessary PPs, it kills momentum and most likely you give that game away. The 2 PP goals were ultimately the difference in the game.
      Dress it up however you want to. They beat us.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

University of Minnesota Duluth center Austin Farley (11) and University of Minnesota center Austin Farmey (26) eyed the puck as it flew in the air during the third period.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Dress it up however you want to. They beat us.
          Talent + Experience > Talent alone

As long as the Gophers learn some things from each game that they can begin to apply down the stretch, they will be fine.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Talent + Experience > Talent alone

As long as the Gophers learn some things from each game that they can begin to apply down the stretch, they will be fine.
            Agree. We may have to wait a year, but it will happen.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Not dressing it up at all and not trying to make excuses. Romanko's call for interference was a weak call, the UMD player fell over on his stick while Romanko was trying cover him in front of the net from behind. That led to UMD's first PP goal. Gates' roughing call was also a questionable call. He was fighting for the puck on the wall and it got physical, but Gates did NOT deliberately punch or strike the UMD player. That led to the second UMD PP goal. IMO two questionable calls within two minutes of each other that essentially shutdown whatever momentum the Gophers had in a 0-0 game in the 2nd period.

UMD is a much better team than UVM and I thought the Gophers responded well and kept the game close. They just didn't have a lot of offensive zone time and lost some puck battles on the walls for SOG, where in past seasons they cycled out of those much better. And the 6 penalties killed their momentum. Let's see how they respond tonight. Go Gophers!

Comment

Not dressing it up at all and not trying to make excuses. Romanko's call for interference was a weak call, the UMD player fell over on his stick while Romanko was trying cover him in front of the net from behind. That led to UMD's first PP goal. Gates' roughing call was also a questionable call. He was fighting for the puck on the wall and it got physical, but Gates did NOT deliberately punch or strike the UMD player. That led to the second UMD PP goal. IMO two questionable calls within two minutes of each other that essentially shutdown whatever momentum the Gophers had in a 0-0 game in the 2nd period.

UMD is a much better team than UVM and I thought the Gophers responded well and kept the game close. They just didn't have a lot of offensive zone time and lost some puck battles on the walls for SOG, where in past seasons they cycled out of those much better. And the 6 penalties killed their momentum. Let's see how they respond tonight. Go Gophers!
                That summary is much different than saying we gave the game away, IMO.

We couldn't overcome some calls, because we are not good enough to do so. tUMD is a better team to begin with, so there's that factor. Adds up to a loss.

Hope to find that pesky rabbit in the hat, and wow the audience tonight...

Comment

Tonight was a very long night for the Minnesota Gophers in Duluth in a 3-0 loss as a veteran and speedy Bulldogs team completed another series sweep against their intrastate rival. The Gophers were outshot again tonight 33-21 and struggled getting a shot on Kaskisuo all game.

There was absolutely no offense in this game for the Gophers who have now played 9 periods of hockey and scored only 1 goal. For long stretches of the game the Gophers had no offensive zone pressure and no SOG. At one point in the first the Gophers went without a SOG for 17 min.

The Gopher D was very passive, had no intensity and pressure on UMD in the Gopher's zone and let the Bulldogs setup time and time again. Schierhorn made some good saves, but received little help from the guys in front of him.

IMO this eclipses any poor performance last season, and was one of the worst by a Gopher team in recent memory. There were no standout players in this game for the Gophers. Even Kloos looked powerless and made a few errant passes. Lots of work to do on this Gopher team.

Comment

Tonight was a very long night for the Minnesota Gophers in Duluth in a 3-0 loss as a veteran and speedy Bulldogs team completed another series sweep against their intrastate rival. The Gophers were outshot again tonight 33-21 and struggled getting a shot on Kaskisuo all game.

There was absolutely no offense in this game for the Gophers who have now played 9 periods of hockey and scored only 1 goal. For long stretches of the game the Gophers had no offensive zone pressure and no SOG. At one point in the first the Gophers went without a SOG for 17 min.

The Gopher D was very passive, had no intensity and pressure on UMD in the Gopher's zone and let the Bulldogs setup time and time again. Schierhorn made some good saves, but received little help from the guys in front of him.

IMO this eclipses any poor performance last season, and was one of the worst by a Gopher team in recent memory. There were no standout players in this game for the Gophers. Even Kloos looked powerless and made a few errant passes. Lots of work to do on this Gopher team.
                    Not the way I saw it. I thought the Gophers had the better of the play the last half of the game, but didn't have the quality to convert it into scoring chances. Overall, though, in the last 30 minutes tonight I thought the effort and intensity was pretty darn good, their movement from zone-to-zone improved, and they held a territorial advantage. That's progress, and it came against a very good, very veteran team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Not the way I saw it. I thought the Gophers had the better of the play the last half of the game, but didn't have the quality to convert it into scoring chances. Overall, though, in the last 30 minutes tonight I thought the effort and intensity was pretty darn good, their movement from zone-to-zone improved, and they held a territorial advantage. That's progress, and it came against a very good, very veteran team.
                      Didn't have the "quality"? What does that mean? UMD clearly sat on the lead for the last half of the game and allowed a few SOG for the Gophers. Look at the shots during the 2nd and 3rd period, they were either off target or directly into Kaskisuo's pads. They had 9 PPs with very few SOG. They made many errant passes throughout the game and did not improve much at all for the remainder of the game. This was a very poor performance by the Gophers with very few positives. There is no excuse for a Gopher team with this amount of talent to score 1 goal in three games...unacceptable. I can guarantee having played this game for most of my life, there is not ONE Gopher player tonight that is saying "well, we were pretty darn good".

Comment

Closed circuit to Harley:

Just finishing the Rum King now. Yeah. That beer is redonkulous.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Closed circuit to Harley:

Just finishing the Rum King now. Yeah. That beer is redonkulous.
                          I could use about 5 of those after a game like this. Compared to the Horny Devil?

Comment

Didn't have the "quality"? What does that mean? UMD clearly sat on the lead for the last half of the game and allowed a few SOG for the Gophers. Look at the shots during the 2nd and 3rd period, they were either off target or directly into Kaskisuo's pads. They had 9 PPs with very few SOG. They made many errant passes throughout the game and did not improve much at all for the remainder of the game. This was a very poor performance by the Gophers with very few positives. There is no excuse for a Gopher team with this amount of talent to score 1 goal in three games...unacceptable. I can guarantee having played this game for most of my life, there is not ONE Gopher player tonight that is saying "well, we were pretty darn good".
                            Didn't have the quality means just what it sounds like...
                            I never said they were pretty darn good, I said the effort and intensity was. And maybe that distinction will help you in understanding what is meant by the "quality" comment.

I also have to disagree a bit on the talent issue. I see Kloos as the only really proven, veteran "quality" player. Fasching still needs to grow into that. Expectations for him and what he has shown in his previous two years I think were a bit out of alignment.
                            I've been on record numerous times as saying C. Reilly is a shooter, and not much else. So if he doesn't get fed he is going to disappear for big chunks of time.
                            The D doesn't really have much in terms of offensive talent outside of flashes from Brodzinsky.
                            The freshman are still getting their feet wet, and I don't think anyone was expecting any of them to jump right into the college game at a full sprint.

So, when you take that all into account, I thought they showed pretty well in the last half of the game tonight. Yeah, Duluth took up a more defensive posture but I don't think they were content to spend more time in their defensive zone over those final 30 minutes. MN was doing a better job moving the puck D-to-D, doing a better job on the forecheck and cycling, and a better job battling along the boards and in the corners. And that all added up to a territorial advantage and an edge in possession. And it was against arguably one of the best teams in college hockey.

There is no way to sugarcoat the results so far this year. Like I said in the season thread - 1 goal in 3 games, 1/13 on the PP, and being out shot every game is not good. But they have looked better (imo) in each game.

The big test is next weekend. We need to see some goals and some results against NU.

Comment

I could use about 5 of those after a game like this. Compared to the Horny Devil?
                              I like the Horny Devil, but there's a reason I have 4 spare bottles of Rum King for future consumption.

That being said, the next bottle will be cracked next summer at the earliest.

Comment

They didn't have the "quality" scoring chances and offensive zone presence to bury one goal tonight is what your saying. So they looked somewhat like a D1 hockey team, got shutout 2/3 games to start the season, but let's be thankful they can pass from zone to zone? It's nice of you to try to take some positives out of this game. As fans we have the privilege of doing that. But I don't buy it...that's BS. BTW there is talent on this team to bury more than 1 goal in three games.

UMD clearly sat on the lead. If they turned up the speed and intensity as in the first 2 periods, I highly doubt the Gophers look like they have "effort and intensity" and lose by at least 5 or 6. Of course they looked a little better than that shipwreck against UVM, but they didn't look better than last night. They sucked tonight, pure and simple.

As a player, you NEVER look at positives in a horrible losing effort like this. Kloos was tentative and was destroyed on the walls tonight. He had 3 poor SOG. Cammarata looked like a pee wee and had ZERO SOG. Lettieri had ZERO SOG. Fasching had 1 SOG. C. Reilly had 2 SOG and on and on... I can guarantee you 100%, the locker room was volatile tonight and these guys are totally ****ed off at themselves. There are no moral victories. Screw that. You don't work your *** off, get your face smashed and fight a mother fk'n war on ice to lose three in a row. They didn't do their job tonight and that will sting for a long time. Has there ever been a Lucia coached team lose 3 opening games of the season, get swept, and shutout in two??? They better right this ship asap or this season is toast.

Comment

Working...
                                X