Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Equals to UND? I always know I can count on good ol' Red Cows for extensive homerism and a laugh. And a novel on how great UNO is.

You won a game in OT. Nice. You've also been swept twice in conference play this year. You're in 5th in the conference.

BTW, SCSU is ahead of you and UND in all things that matter and guess what? We are still not equal to UND as a program. You get respect by earning it. You haven't yet.

So stop already. You are out-Janning Jan.

Sincerely,

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      This "summation" was probably longer than the gamer.

This is one of the most delusional things I have ever read.

Your team just got swept at home by a team that wasn't even in the top 16 of the PWR last weekend. UNO isn't even in the top half of the conference. They have given up more goals than they have scored in conference play. It would be one thing to say that you think UNO is as good as North Dakota this year. For today, and probably today only, you could make that case based on RPI. But to pretend that UNO is equals with North Dakota as a program is something that you might literally be the only person who believes.

Your team has made one Frozen Four, and only did so because they got to play the autobid team from Atlantic Hockey to get there. It is the only accomplishment your program has. You have one banner and are now going to act like your program is on the level of North Dakota? Omaha is now a destination job? Because they made one Frozen Four? So did RIT and Bemidji. Are those destination jobs?
      I have no idea what last weekend has to do with my basic fundamental statement about where these two programs are. In the FWIW category, as far as I am personally concerned, the conference race is irrelevant to me and I could care less if we win a conference titles or not. What I care about is making the NCAA tourney and winning NCAA titles. Period. And, we now play in a league that facilitates that. And, UNO is currently #3 in Pairwise on January 16th and just beat the #1 team in the nation, on the road, with a goalie in net starting and playing in his first ever collegiate game. The ship is heading in the right direction, overall, solely based on my "wants".

Show me any team that ever got to the Frozen Four by accident. We played whoever they put in front of us to get there. That's certainly not UNO's fault. Sorry if we didn't beat the "right" teams, whoever they are, to do so.

What does North Dakota have that UNO does not now have?

A beautiful, state of the art, on-campus facility in which to play and which is a huge asset to recruiting? We both have that. A fanbase that sells out all our games? That is true of both programs now that we play in a place that is more reasonably sized. Huge booster groups supporting both teams? Check. Excellent, proven head coaching? Oops! Exactly what advantage does UND enjoy over us now, or in foreseeable future? You seem to have not noticed the qualifier in my post above about what I said in my statement regarding the place(s) the two programs are currently in:

Keep in mind that I am talking snapshots of the here and now, mind you.
      Obviously, UNO does not compete well with North Dakota's past. Big deal. This ain't the past and they haven't won a title since the year 2000. We are close to the point now where no player on North Dakota's team will have been alive the last time they won one. They can throw their legacy around all they want but they haven't won in something approaching a generation. In fact, approaching the same length of time we've even had a program here.

It's similar to (but not the same as) Nebraska fans here that think the program should be respected and revered by all, no matter what, because they have won 5 national championships, except, they haven't won any since 1997 and haven't played for one since 2001.

If and when Dean Blais walks off into the sunset, if you don't think there is going to be a line for his job, you are the one that is delusional. Dean Blais is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college hockey:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/new-deal-ma...b77f64009.html

....and the school can now afford to pay someone worthy of the job even more than that if they want to or need to.

Baxter Arena was the final piece of the program's puzzle and it was and is a complete game-changer for the hockey program here. We built an arena that compares favorably with anyone's. Is the Ralph nicer? Yup, but it isn't enough nicer that it is going be the difference it once was. Would you rather live in Omaha or Grand Forks? That's an easy one. Throw in a proven championship coach on top of that. UNO is one of the "haves" of college hockey, now, and that isn't changing anytime soon. The only real threat to that I can see on the horizon is if the wrong choice of successor to Dean Blais gets made.

We get to see if North Dakota gets off the mat tonight. Looking forward to it. If they are a great team, they'll rebound. if not, they won't. Even if we beat them tonight, that doesn't mean they couldn't end up winning a title this season (although doing it with a first year head coach makes this EXTREMELY unlikely, IMHO). This is a brutal league where it is kill or be killed. If you don't show up, every night, it will be more of the later than the former.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 01-16-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I may have given my wife ptsd when I yelled SCORRRRRRRRRRRRE. I'm thrilled with the win. I was thinking with the present goalie situation that Kirk is never going to be #1 and at best he is a distant #2. I look for Alex to get more playing time after the Denver sweep and the win last night. It was interesting how none of the NoDak tv announcers used the term fighting hawks more than once. Even oil of olay face stumbled over her words to avoid saying it. Tonight will be fun to watch I hope.
        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
          I may have given my wife ptsd when I yelled SCORRRRRRRRRRRRE. I'm thrilled with the win. I was thinking with the present goalie situation that Kirk is never going to be #1 and at best he is a distant #2. I look for Alex to get more playing time after the Denver sweep and the win last night. It was interesting how none of the NoDak tv announcers used the term fighting hawks more than once. Even oil of olay face stumbled over her words to avoid saying it. Tonight will be fun to watch I hope.
          It's hilarious that I somehow seem to have stuck in SCSU fan's craw, of all things today, somehow, despite the fact that we put them in first place last night. They don't like what I post, I suggest they not read it. There is a handy feature here called ignore. And now, someone thinks SCSU is "ahead of us (and UND) in all things that matter", because they apparently think I care deeply, somehow, about the conference race.

The things that matter to me are:

1. Facilities
          2. Recruiting
          3. Coaching

You have all those boxes ticked (and, we do, now) everything else will take care of itself. Let SCSU and UND fight over pretty much meaningless (to me) conference titles if they care to. They serve little useful purpose from my vantage point. They aren't the big picture at all. And, if it were up to me, I'd eliminate conference tournies altogether. It minimizes and diminishes the regular season of whoever did win the real conference title and provides more wear and tear on your team, to say nothing of increasing the chances for injuries to occur, and makes the season even longer than it already is. You can't get into the post season on the merits of what you did during the regular season, then I say too bad. Not a fan of these in basketball or in hockey.

Even if UNO makes it to the Frozen Faceoff, I'm not wasting any of my hard earned money going up there for it. I want to end up at and be at the Regional in either Cincinnati or in St. Paul where something that actually matters to me is on the line.

I think Coach Blais knew that Blankenberg could probably not have been any worse than Thompson has been. He rolled the dice and won making a dare to be great decision. If last night is who Blankenberg really is, that has me thinking that Thompson is the one that might be disappearing from the scene next year, senior next season or not. We sure aren't going to carry 4 goalies.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            I have no idea what last weekend has to do with my basic fundamental statement about where these two programs are.
            One team is in a position to be the best team in its conference. The other looks like it is not even in the top half of teams in the conference and is in danger of playing on the road in the first round of the conference tournament. Which is important, considering losing in the first round of the conference tournament has kept you out of the NCAAs before. Also, playing Denver, UND, SCSU, and Duluth will probably lead to your second half record being not as good as your first half record. Which will affect your PWR.

In the FWIW category, as far as I am personally concerned, the conference race is irrelevant to me and I could care less if we win a conference titles or not. What I care about is making the NCAA tourney and winning NCAA titles. Period. And, we now play in a league that facilitates that.
            It is easy to say that when you no longer have a shot at winning the conference race. You have one lonely piece of hardware in the history of your program. My team has 4 and I think that is kinda sad. Your team not making the NCAA tourney wasn't the fault of the CCHA. It was the fault of your AD and coach. UNO has made made the NCAA tourney 3 times in 18 years. UND has made the NCAA tourney 18 times in 18 years.

And, UNO is currently #3 in Pairwise on January 16th and just beat the #1 team in the nation, on the road, with a goalie in net starting and playing in his first ever collegiate game.
            Yes, they did. That's ONE GAME. UNO has consistently folded like an accordion in the second half of seasons, so don't pen them into that spot just yet. And stay consistent with your rankings please. Use PWR for both or polls for both. Don't switch between the two to make your argument stronger.

Show me any team that ever got to the Frozen Four by accident. We played whoever they put in front of us to get there. That's certainly not UNO's fault. Sorry if we didn't beat the "right" teams, whoever they are, to do so.
            It isn't UNO's fault for taking advantage of that. But you now seem to think they are a Frozen Four mainstay despite the fact that they have only made the NCAA tournament at a once-every-six-years clip.

What does North Dakota have that UNO does not now have?
            A full trophy case, a bigger fanbase, better facilities, Toews, Parise, Oshie, Ed Belfour, Brock Nelson, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, and many other players that they can point to as players with long and successful NHL careers. You can write off the history as not being important but there is literally nothing more important. North Dakota can say "while you are here, you will be playing for one of the top teams in the country, in the top facilities in the country. You will be competing for a league title and national title every year. You will follow in the footsteps of these players that are now stars in the NHL." Dean Blais can't say that. Tell me what player chose UNO over North Dakota. Maybe one or two guys.

Obviously, UNO does not compete well with North Dakota's past. Big deal. This ain't the past and they haven't won a title since the year 2000. We are close to the point now where no player on North Dakota's team will have been alive the last time they won one. They can throw their legacy around all they want but they haven't won in something approaching a generation. In fact, approaching the same length of time we've even had a program here.
            UNO HASN'T WON ANYTHING, EVER!!! Seriously.
            No conference tournament titles. North Dakota has 5 since UNO went D-I. Since joining the WCHA UNO hasn't even ever made it out of the first round of the conference tournament.
            No regular season titles. I don't think they have ever even finished second. North Dakota has 7 regular season titles.
            UNO has 1 Frozen Four appearance since 97-98. North Dakota has 9.
            Your program can't even point to one year in it's whole history that it was better than North Dakota. Not one. And now Omaha is somehow on equal footing? Dude, no one believes that but you.

It's similar to (but not the same as) Nebraska fans here that think the program should be respected and revered by all, no matter what, because they have won 5 national championships, except, they haven't won any since 1997 and haven't played for one since 2001.
            Except not the same at all, because if Nebraska had played in 9 BCS bowls in that time, they still would be respected and revered by all.

If and when Dean Blais walks off into the sunset, if you don't think there is going to be a line for his job, you are the one that is delusional.
            There will be a line... filled with USHL coaches and probably no that has ever won anything as a head coach in D-I college hockey.

Dean Blais is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college hockey
            Yeah, because he has 2 National Titles. And even he has only been able to lead your program to 2 decent seasons in six years.

Baxter Arena was the final piece of the program's puzzle and it was and is a complete game-changer for the hockey program here. We built an arena that compares favorably with anyone's.
            Yes, just look at the turbo boost a new arena gave to Bemidji, RIT and Canisius.

Would you rather live in Omaha or Grand Forks? That's an easy one.
            Gun to my head? Because you would have to put a gun to my head to make me move to either of those cities. It is for 4 years. You don't have to live there for the rest of your life. I would guess that being a hockey player at UND would be a more enjoyable college experience than being a hockey player at UNO just based on their sports status to their community.

Throw in a proven championship coach on top of that. UNO is one of the "haves" of college hockey, now,
            Except when it comes to trophies.

and that isn't changing anytime soon. The only real threat to that I can see on the horizon is if the wrong choice of successor to Dean Blais gets made.
            Dean Blais is 64. That change might be coming sooner than you think.

We get to see if North Dakota gets off the mat tonight. Looking forward to it. If they are a great team, they'll rebound. if not, they won't. Even if we beat them tonight, that doesn't mean they couldn't end up winning a title this season (although doing it with a first year head coach makes this EXTREMELY unlikely, IMHO). This is a brutal league where it is kill or be killed.
            UND should know. They have done a whole lot of killing.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Bro. Reel it in. You're making us look bad. I'm not going to argue with you about perspective on where we land in the college hockey landscape because we're all somewhat biased. You're not doing anyone any favors by bashing respected programs and patting ours on the back. We have a long way to go, and if you're content with where we're at right now, your expectations are stuck in the last decade.

Comment

It's hilarious that I somehow seem to have stuck in SCSU fan's craw, of all things today, somehow, despite the fact that we put them in first place last night. They don't like what I post, I suggest they not read it. There is a handy feature here called ignore. And now, someone thinks SCSU is "ahead of us (and UND) in all things that matter", because they apparently think I care deeply, somehow, about the conference race.

The things that matter to me are:

1. Facilities
                2. Recruiting
                3. Coaching

You have all those boxes ticked (and, we do, now) everything else will take care of itself. Let SCSU and UND fight over pretty much meaningless (to me) conference titles if they care to. They serve little useful purpose from my vantage point. They aren't the big picture at all. And, if it were up to me, I'd eliminate conference tournies altogether. It minimizes and diminishes the regular season of whoever did win the real conference title and provides more wear and tear on your team, to say nothing of increasing the chances for injuries to occur, and makes the season even longer than it already is. You can't get into the post season on the merits of what you did during the regular season, then I say too bad. Not a fan of these in basketball or in hockey.

Even if UNO makes it to the Frozen Faceoff, I'm not wasting any of my hard earned money going up there for it. I want to end up at and be at the Regional in either Cincinnati or in St. Paul where something that actually matters to me is on the line.

I think Coach Blais knew that Blankenberg could probably not have been any worse than Thompson has been. He rolled the dice and won making a dare to be great decision. If last night is who Blankenberg really is, that has me thinking that Thompson is the one that might be disappearing from the scene next year, senior next season or not. We sure aren't going to carry 4 goalies.
                Ummm ok. What's all the uproar for anyway. We had a great game last night. That's really all that matters at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Sauce View Post
                  Bro. Reel it in. You're making us look bad. I'm not going to argue with you about perspective on where we land in the college hockey landscape because we're all somewhat biased. You're not doing anyone any favors by bashing respected programs and patting ours on the back. We have a long way to go, and if you're content with where we're at right now, your expectations are stuck in the last decade.
                  thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Sauce View Post
                    Where did I do any bashing of North Dakota here? By claiming that the two programs, right now, are pretty much in the same place on the hockey landscape as one another?

Heresy, I guess.

Other than questioning the wisdom of their hiring and having a head coach with ZERO head coaching experience, where or how did they get bashed? Because I had the audacity to say they are in no better place than we are right now as a program? Sorry, but I believe this is the truth, and I'm not apologizing to anybody for saying so, either.

Would I trade our past for theirs? You bet.

Would I trade our future for theirs? Nope. There isn't enough difference any more to make that a worthwhile bet.

If you think we somehow have "a long way to go" you're the one that's stuck in the past decade, not me. This would seem to imply that you're unhappy with something about our program. Pray tell, what is it?

Comment

Dude, I don't know you but I'm trying to save you and the perception of our fan base from public ridicule. Don't try to rope me into your argument because if you can't validate what everyone else has said, I'm not going to change your mind either. If you need help realizing where you're wrong, look a tipsy's post where he picks apart every line you've come up with. I shouldn't have to go to the trouble of making an account on this forum and being the 10th person to tell you how far off base you are, but let's just suffice it to say that when you're this out numbered in an informed discussion, you're probably wrong. The more you ignore the obviously valid criticism, the more credibility you lose, and whether you realize it or not, your passionate opinion's get partially projected on the rest of our fan base.
                      Don't take it personal. I admire your passion. I'd like to think I have it too, but I'm not going argue that one game should over ride what the bodies of work suggest. We can hang with the big boys right now. Great. No one's disputing that. What everyone is taking away from your message is that Omaha deserves more respect than they've been given. Don't be that guy. It comes off as entitled.

Comment

Dear lord man. We beat UND in overtime. We made the Frozen Four last season for the first time. You say that we are about to be a mainstay. Is it possible that it was an anomaly? Comparing North Dakota history to Nebraska football history is simply absurd. Nebraska hasn't sniffed a conference championship or BCS berth in well over a decade. UND is in the running annually and has been for the last decade. You just sound uneducated when you make that type of statement.

We were beat 5-1 tonight. That must mean that we are the worst team in the NCHC. It must mean that we are out of the running. Since every win/loss is the deciding factor for everything. Man alive...take a step back. Look at the bigger picture here. We were SWEPT at HOME by Denver. We beat UND in OT. Then got steamrolled the next night. The next four or five weeks will tell us what this team looks like. These posts come off as extremely delusional. Is Dean Blais a better coach than UND's current? Who knows. The guy started Thompson tonight, so what does that tell you? UNDs history is a difference maker when it comes to recruiting. Is UNO on a bit of a roll? Sure. But only time will tell what type of difference Blais, a new arena makes. UND all ready has it all. We can only HOPE to become half of what UND has become.

I just hope we make the second round of the conference tourney. An NCAA berth would be nice. But UND EXPECTS it. As they should. We hope.
                        If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post

It isn't UNO's fault for taking advantage of that. But you now seem to think they are a Frozen Four mainstay despite the fact that they have only made the NCAA tournament at a once-every-six-years clip.

A full trophy case, a bigger fanbase, better facilities, Toews, Parise, Oshie, Ed Belfour, Brock Nelson, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, and many other players that they can point to as players with long and successful NHL careers. You can write off the history as not being important but there is literally nothing more important. North Dakota can say "while you are here, you will be playing for one of the top teams in the country, in the top facilities in the country. You will be competing for a league title and national title every year. You will follow in the footsteps of these players that are now stars in the NHL." Dean Blais can't say that. Tell me what player chose UNO over North Dakota. Maybe one or two guys.

UNO HASN'T WON ANYTHING, EVER!!! Seriously.
                          No conference tournament titles. North Dakota has 5 since UNO went D-I. Since joining the WCHA UNO hasn't even ever made it out of the first round of the conference tournament.
                          No regular season titles. I don't think they have ever even finished second. North Dakota has 7 regular season titles.
                          UNO has 1 Frozen Four appearance since 97-98. North Dakota has 9.
                          Your program can't even point to one year in it's whole history that it was better than North Dakota. Not one. And now Omaha is somehow on equal footing? Dude, no one believes that but you.

Except not the same at all, because if Nebraska had played in 9 BCS bowls in that time, they still would be respected and revered by all.

There will be a line... filled with USHL coaches and probably no that has ever won anything as a head coach in D-I college hockey.
                          Good stuff there. Agreed with the history and impact of it all. It is convenient to look at last year's Frozen Four and a new arena and recent success and suggest that UNO is on the upswing. But to put UNO and UND on the same level is just a bit delusional. When it comes to recruiting, history plays a MAJOR role. UND can say that when you arrive, go ahead and pencil in the NCAAs. You can tell your family to reserve some hotel rooms a year in advance. UNO doesn't have the history. And that does matter to recruits.

The only point I disagree with is when Blais retires. Not that UNO is such a destination job that it will attract top-notch coaches. It has more to do with money. If UNO throws another 4-year, $1 million contract to the next coach, experienced coaches will be interested. Simply for the money.

Comment

Tipsy hit it pretty much on the head. And good to see other UNO fans can see it as well. To be clear, I do think UNO has a lot to be excited about. Frozen Four trip, new arena, trending up on recruiting and a solid coach. But any statement you're anywhere close to equal to UND is completely delusional. History matters to recruits. PROGRAM matters a lot which is why an unproven coach (at least as a head coach) could step in at UND and have tremendous success immediately. We'll see how he does when the teams he has are truly his but I have a feeling they'll be just fine, unfortunately for the rest of us who get to deal with them every year.

Last thing, teams that win conference titles aren't on the bubble of making the big tournament. Shooting for 3rd to 5th place won't guarantee a trip. And I'm pretty sure there isn't a sign in any locker room that says "Play like a 3rd place team today."

Comment

Omaha has two Hobey nominees for the the 2nd time in school history. They're pretty good so you should vote for them. #guentzelortega2016

Comment

Well, as stated previously before the winter break, we have no idea who this team is yet. And still don't. Three straight home losses. I don't care about the parity of the NCHC, you shouldn't lose to Miami at home. Evan Weninger is a lot more important to this group than we think. We seem lost without our starting goalie.

Comment

Working...
                                X