Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
    I would agree with that, especially in areas that aren't hockey-focused. Places up north have more hockey-centered mindsets I would guess. Husker football will always cut into UNO attendance during the first half, simply unavoidable. Even when they are terrible that will be the case. If Bill Callahan couldn't chase away the fan base, I don't think anyone will.
    I sort of wrote off Nebraska football after they refused to fire Pelini after the tape surfaced of him saying "eff the fans". Yeah, they did fire him, ultimately. Too little, too late in my book.

I do wish Riley and company well but Nebraska football is a long way from being "anything" again. And, it will NEVER again be what is was in the '90's. No other program will ever do anything like that, either. It is a totally unrealistic expectation.

That said, I have never gone to or watched a Husker football at the expense of a UNO hockey game. And, I think anybody doing so now is delusionally wasting their time.

Which would you rather watch and support?

A team that has a legitimate shot at the National Title or one that may not even have a winning record?

The choice now is way more obvious that it was way back along about 2002 or so.

Hence, my earlier description of the state of football at UNL.

"Nobody, doing nothing, going nowhere".

Comment

Well, looky who may very well be in goal for Team USA at the World Junior A Challenge this December:

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/sho...rer_id=1197335

Comment

Wonder why he didn't make the trip...preparing for World Juniors? Thompson in goal all weekend. Hang on to your seats.

NCHC broadcast was terrible. Saw the 3rd period and OT, double OT. Announcers at Miami were thoroughly confused about the rules for OT. Thought it was 4-4 and then 3-3. Turned out to be 5-5 for the first OT as it supposed to be. Thompson couldn't tuck the puck away and gave up the rebound for the OT loss.

Hopefully the boys rebound tomorrow and can get some points.
        Last edited by gomavs#1; 11-20-2015, 09:27 PM.
        If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
          Wonder why he didn't make the trip...preparing for World Juniors? Thompson in goal all weekend. Hang on to your seats.

Hopefully the boys rebound tomorrow and can get some points.
          As far as your first sentence is concerned, I assume you mean Evan Weninger? Kris Oldham is a member of the Omaha Lancers. And, he is not playing in "World Juniors". World Juniors is an IIHF event and is played 12-26 through 1-5--in Finland.

Oldham is playing in the World Junior A Challenge from December 13-19th in Whitby, Ontario.

As far as your 2nd, I assume you know we got a point tonight? It was a tie for NCAA purposes. This is only an a "loss" as far as the NCHC is concerned and not even a real "loss" at that.

Comment

Interesting game tonight, one that UNO played with a hand tied behind it's back.

Starting goalie Evan Weninger did not make the trip for some reason.

Defenseman Joel Messner was a late scratch and did not play. I know for a fact he made the trip, though.

No word about why as far as either are concerned.

Tony Boone of the Omaha World Herald was even tweeting during the game wondering about the whereabouts of both of them.

I submit that if Weninger had been in goal for this game the outcome would have been different. Thompson is average, at best.

What a shame. At least we salvaged a tie in a pretty entertaining game.

I have yet to see a player that can skate with Austin Ortega. He creates havoc for the opposing team every time he steps out on the ice. I mean, to the point that you can't help but notice him even if you tried not to. A spectacular and special player.

Comment

That's crazy that no one reported that Weninger didn't even make the trip. Boy that's suspicious. Hate to say it but my mind instantly wonders what he did to get suspended...
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                That's crazy that no one reported that Weninger didn't even make the trip. Boy that's suspicious. Hate to say it but my mind instantly wonders what he did to get suspended...
                Stranger, still, is that even at this hour the Omaha World Herald does not have a final score, even, on their web site or any sort of synopsis, as I write this. Highly unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  Stranger, still, is that even at this hour the Omaha World Herald does not have a final score, even, on their web site or any sort of synopsis, as I write this. Highly unusual.
                  Very. with UMD, they don't let much information out of the program anymore.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    Very. with UMD, they don't let much information out of the program anymore.
                    These would seem to be two different situations. I saw pictures of UNO warm-ups today in Miami on Twitter that had Messner in them.

Me and Mrs. Red Cows met Messner's parents when we were in Mankato to start the season. Get this, they saw us and asked us if we were parents, too, when they came over and introduced themselves. Super nice people. His dad says he attends every UNO game home and away and has since his son joined the program. The Messners live in the Winnipeg area!

I hope that Weninger wasn't some sort of discipline thing although I suppose the alternative, some sort of injury, presumably in practice, would be worse.
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 11-20-2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

The World Herald now has a synopsis:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-m...bafe3c501.html

The article says Weninger made the trip, but did not dress, and will start tomorrow night. On the Miami television broadcast on FCS, the announcers unilaterally said that Weninger did not make the trip (and did not say why). Since I know from previously corresponding with Tony Boone of the OWH in the past that the paper has been given erroneous info on several occasions in as much as UNO Hockey is concerned from the Sports Information Director (read: Dave Ahlers), I am somewhat dubious about this press report's accuracy. Note that the link above is a "staff report".

And, not a word about the whereabouts of Messner, who has started, I believe, every game UNO has played before tonight.

Comment

The article says Weninger made the trip, but did not dress, and will start tomorrow night.
                        This is even more of a head scratcher. One thing I don't understand with Blais is when a goaltender gets hot (Weninger was in net with the UMD sweep), why go back to Thompson? Unless he was being punished for something. Weninger is the CLEAR #1 goalie...just wish we could stick with him night in and night out.

Comment

I have yet to see a player that can skate with Austin Ortega. He creates havoc for the opposing team every time he steps out on the ice. I mean, to the point that you can't help but notice him even if you tried not to. A spectacular and special player.
                          He and Guentzel are game changers. Love seeing both of them on the same line. Fun to watch for sure.

Comment

No Messner, again, tonight.

Weninger IS in goal.

Comment

Nice road victory for the Mavs. Weninger looked good as usual which of course begs the question of why he was not in net last night. Weird 5-minute major in the second - a rare call from a linesman. Ohio State at home next weekend.

Comment

Great OT win tonight.

Now that that is out of the way....................

How long can we continue this level of success when being outshot like this, night after night after night?

We've been outshot 385 to 325 so far this season. We have been outshot in 8 of our 9 wins, now.

Wait, it gets stranger. We have more shorthanded goals than power play goals this season.

Scarier, still, is that UNO does not have single win or point against a team currently ranked higher than 24th in Pairwise, and, the one team that we played that is higher than 24th in Pairwise, Western Michigan (21st) swept us.

UNO now 7-0-1 when scoring first this season.

So far, we are a logic defying headscratcher.

Much of this can be laid at the feet of Evan Weninger's 1.7328 GAA and .951 Save Percentage, numbers that, so far, blow away what Massa did last season.

If Kirk Thompson starts even so much as another one single game in goal, Dean Blais is officially certifiable. Thompson's numbers are way worse so far this season than they were even last season.

And, don't know how much we'll really learn from next weekend with OSU coming in, who is off to a very poor start and is now 3-7-0 after and an 0-7-0 start.

Comment

Working...
                                X