Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Well, that game was fairly terrible. Too many defensive mistakes. Turnovers killed us and Thompson let one go that shouldn't have gone in for sure. We weren't going to go undefeated, but losing the first game in conference play is not the start we needed.
    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
      Well, that game was fairly terrible. Too many defensive mistakes. Turnovers killed us and Thompson let one go that shouldn't have gone in for sure. We weren't going to go undefeated, but losing the first game in conference play is not the start we needed.
      ...................Thompson let one go that shouldn't have gone in for sure.
      A recurring theme in every game he has played.

Comment

Seriously ugly game tonight. At least we won. Poorly played on both sides. The only guys that showed up, really, were the two goalies.

The expected end of Kirk Thompson in goal happened tonight and Weninger got the start and he should have been the 1st star (he was the 2nd).

Outshot in yet another victory. This time, massively. 47-28.

UNO has played or has upcoming series involving 16 games, total, against teams currently ranked 31 or below in Pairwise. Our SOS isn't looking so hot right now, currently 24th and looks to be heading south from here since we have yet to play 10 of those aforementioned 16 games.

Comment

But we got to see your new home or part of it..
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
            But we got to see your new home or part of it..
            As well as Austin Ortega's nation leading 8th goal, his fifth game winning goal of the season.

Now, only 6 shy of tying the all time NCAA career record for game winners.

Only 9 games into his junior season.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              As well as Austin Ortega's nation leading 8th goal, his fifth game winning goal of the season.

Now, only 6 shy of tying the all time NCAA career record for game winners.

Only 9 games into his junior season.
              Doesn't count unless the game is tied when the goal is scored. Eventual Game Winning goals should be a separate category.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Doesn't count unless the game is tied when the goal is scored. Eventual Game Winning goals should be a separate category.
                Except we don't make the rules. Your way would also manifestly change the existing record books. I don't necessarily disagree with you, though. I wonder if all the game accounts that would be necessary to cull through actually exist to change/fix this? If so it would be a huge undertaking.

Nevertheless:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mi...austin-ortega/

He sticks around through next season and I can see him becoming the new standard bearer of this record, whatever one's interpretation of it is.

He causes more problems for opposing teams out on the ice than any other player in UNO history, IMHO, save perhaps, Scott Parse. He is firmly in the category of "He is getting his. It's everybody else you have to worry about".

Comment

Good home sweep after a terrible showing last weekend. Needed that against a good Duluth team. Really, really, really, really am disliking the (new?) rule of reviewing nearly every single goal. Slows the pace of the game down and any momentum teams develop from scoring is wiped out by 5-10 minute delays. I understand getting a call right, but does it have to be every goal?

Comment

Good home sweep after a terrible showing last weekend. Needed that against a good Duluth team. Really, really, really, really am disliking the (new?) rule of reviewing nearly every single goal. Slows the pace of the game down and any momentum teams develop from scoring is wiped out by 5-10 minute delays. I understand getting a call right, but does it have to be every goal?
                    Every one of those goals that was reviewed should have been.

Worse, I had to explain to the large number of band-wagoners and wannabes that are now a fixture in our new arena, many of which seem to be sitting in close proximity to me, why these 3 goals were reviewed.

For those not in attendance (and, we are referencing the Saturday night game here):

1. Guentzel's disallowed goal occurred after he flattened/interfered with the goalie in the crease just prior to jamming in a rebound while he was still in the crease. He is lucky they didn't call a goaltender interference penalty. The refs looked at this one for every bit of 5 minutes, maybe more.

2. Olofsson's goal looked like it might have been played with a high stick. It wasn't. When replayed on the replay board from an angle where you could see it well, you could see it was not and the refs took all of 15 seconds to look at this one. Goal.

3. The review that took place on what looked like a glove save right out of the air by Weninger on a very hard slap shot from the right wing by a UMD player was because it looked like Weninger might have caught the puck in the air behind the goal line. To me, it was obvious what the review was about right away. I then had to explain to everyone sitting around me that, save or not, if the goalie catches the puck in his glove behind the goal line it's still a goal. I got this one wrong. The goal was allowed but I was pseudo-sure it wouldn't be. This wasn't a terribly lengthy review but it was sure obvious to me what they were looking at.

4. Guentzel's first goal that was allowed, looked like it might have been kicked in. It wasn't and the review was almost as fast as it was for Olofsson's goal.

Far more significant than this weekend's outcomes is concern about the answer to this question: How long can we sustain an .800 winning percentage while getting outshot in almost every game to the extent that we are? UNO has now been outshot this season 329 to 275. Our Corsi number is 48.3 (36th out of all D-1 teams). We've been outshot in every win but one.

For the naysayers about our team, I submit this. So far, we are a team with the leading goal scorer in the country and the leading scorer in the country. And, those are two different guys. Throw in great goaltending (Western Michigan excepted, Weninger has been phenomenal for a freshman, 5th, nationally, in save percentage and 9th in GAA) and Thompson has stunk and still managed to rack up a 3-1-0 record. Couple that with well above average team defense (13th, nationally) as well as an above average penalty kill (16th, nationally), throw in another guy with with a double digit point total, already, as well as leading the nation in short-handed goals, and you have an 8-2-0 team that is channeling the Kansas City Royals in winning unconventionally.

Even though we have been outshot, pretty massively, so far, I have had no real sense of it in the 8 games I have seen this season (all of the 8 games UNO has won). I find this very, very encouraging for later in the season. Being outshot, we have still, by and large looked like the better team in the 8 wins I have seen. (Duh). As the season wears on, as everyone establishes more of a comfort level with one another (we have more newcomers than you might think getting significant ice time), I think this bodes very well for us. My guess is that the shot disparity tide will turn slowly but surely. UNO is giving regular shifts to four different lines. Developing better cohesiveness when doing this takes some time. Not one of these lines returns as it was from last season (and, we didn't play 4 lines last year, either).

This is, by far, the deepest team we have ever sent out on the ice in the history of the program. As well as Weninger has played and looked, I'll go out on a limb, now, and state that this team is better than last year's team. That said, whether that translates into anything approaching last year's success obviously remains to be seen.

We're gonna be heard from. I'm pretty convinced of that. To what extent is still unknown. I've seen enough already this season to know that there is reason to be somewhat more optimistic than you might have been last season at this time.
                    Last edited by Red Cows; 11-09-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I think Duluth is a pretty darn good hockey club, and this sweep will come in mighty handy down the road.

The PP definitely needs work, not enough quality chances.

One very encouraging sign is how many goals this team scores by going to the net. Ortega almost had one on the first shift Saturday night too.

Parizek is excellent in breakaway situations, he was very patient on that goal.

8-2 is a fine start and I think this off week comes at a pretty good time. Miami will not be easy on the road, and I'd be ok with a split.

Comment

UNO did not sell out their Saturday night game with UMD.

Thus is the power of Husker football.

The attendance was 7,135 and capacity is 7,898.

Selling out every game (nearly every reserved seat in the building is already sold for the entirety of the season) is predicated upon the students filling the 830 seat student section. These are not available until game day.

It was nowhere close to even half full. The box office, itself, had a sign that said the game Saturday night was sold out, otherwise.

Apparently, we have an element of the student body that is more interested in watching nobody, doing nothing, going nowhere, than watching a team that actually has a chance at a title, I guess.

Of note on Saturday night, too. The cheaper the seats in the arena on Saturday night, the more packed a given section of the building was. Club section and suite attendance was an issue Saturday night. Actual attendance was inversely proportional to ticket prices. I, frankly, find that pretty disgusting.

Comment

Of note on Saturday night, too. The cheaper the seats in the arena on Saturday night, the more packed a given section of the building was. Club section and suite attendance was an issue Saturday night. Actual attendance was inversely proportional to ticket prices. I, frankly, find that pretty disgusting.
                          Welcome to the big leagues

Comment

Apparently, we have an element of the student body that is more interested in watching nobody, doing nothing, going nowhere, than watching a team that actually has a chance at a title, I guess.

I think we will find this to be a fairly regular occurrence at the new barn in both respects. Students will pack it in on Friday night because they can plan their day/night around going to class and then pre-gaming for a Friday night game. Then Saturday comes and they just don't put it in their plans.

And the club/suite people were all watching the Husker game at their regular bar or rich-folk gathering. We need their money to fund the new barn, but those aren't your dedicated UNO hockey fans. They have a boatload of money and can say they have a suite/club seat at the new arena. But I wouldn't expect to see them as regular attendees.

Comment

And the club/suite people were all watching the Husker game at their regular bar or rich-folk gathering. We need their money to fund the new barn, but those aren't your dedicated UNO hockey fans. They have a boatload of money and can say they have a suite/club seat at the new arena. But I wouldn't expect to see them as regular attendees.
                              I think this is an issue for a lot of schools this time of year - college and high school football still going on, hunting season opening, fall harvest (Well, maybe not harvest for you guys, but for those of us in more rural areas it can play a part) - and it doesn't help that the early part of the season can include non-conference teams who don't really stoke the fires of the fans. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot, unless it stretches into January.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                I think this is an issue for a lot of schools this time of year - college and high school football still going on, hunting season opening, fall harvest (Well, maybe not harvest for you guys, but for those of us in more rural areas it can play a part) - and it doesn't help that the early part of the season can include non-conference teams who don't really stoke the fires of the fans. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot, unless it stretches into January.
                                I would agree with that, especially in areas that aren't hockey-focused. Places up north have more hockey-centered mindsets I would guess. Husker football will always cut into UNO attendance during the first half, simply unavoidable. Even when they are terrible that will be the case. If Bill Callahan couldn't chase away the fan base, I don't think anyone will.

Comment

Working...
                                X