Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Interview with Ohio State Head Coach and former UNO Assistant Coach Steve Rohlik on this weekend's series with UNO at Baxter Arena here in Omaha:

https://soundcloud.com/milesmcquinn/...medium=twitter

Comment

Hopefully our Powerplay begins to show up...anemic thus far. Definitely our biggest weakness to this point. If Thompson touches the ice this weekend I'm finding a beach ball and throwing it on the ice. Give us 2 minutes...I like us better on the penalty kill anyway.
      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Blais called it an ugly win and that we were outplayed last night. I suppose if you take into account the penalties it was sloppy. But I thought we controlled the play for most of the game. Hoping Weninger is in net again...I've seen Blais do crazier things.

Comment

Another home sweep. Ohio State is now 0-5-1 in its last 6 games against UNO and that tie was also a shootout loss for them (which was played in front of a tidy gathering of 13,147 here in Omaha for said shootout back in February of 2010, the 3rd largest home crowd in program history).

This is the most wins (11), pre-December 1st, in program history. 8-0-0 in non-conference play. Sweeps against WCHA, AHC, HEC and Big 10 teams. One more non-con left--with independent ASU, at home, in 3 weeks. No reason we should not end up 10-0-0 in non-conference play.

Back to back nights where a sell out was NOT announced. Kudos to UNO for being honest about it and shame, shame, shame on UNO students, who are the sole reason the last two games weren't sold out. Watching the Husker game on Friday (the nobody's, doing nothings, going nowheres Huskers) in lieu of watching the #6 team in the country that's #4 in Pairwise play Ohio State makes you complete loser fans in my book if you did that instead of attend the hockey game. The Huskers, and their season, are utterly meaningless. Tonight, they got a bit cannibalized by the Lancers playing at home, literally right down the street, in front about 3,000, there, at Ralston Arena.

Further kudos to the school for recognizing this issue beforehand and making student tickets available to anyone by re-instituting rush seating for UNO games.

UNO outshot, again, in two more wins. How long can they keep this up?

UNO was outshot this weekend 81-67 yet outscored OSU 9-5. Plus, the entire weekend was largely the Austin Ortega (tied for the national lead in goals) and Jake Guentzel (3rd, nationally, in scoring) show, with a very strong supporting actor nod to Evan Weninger who is doing the unthinkable--making everyone forget about Ryan Massa. We need some more production out of other players. Nice that the power play decided to show up tonight, finally, as well. We almost doubled our entire output of power play goals for the entire season in one game! 3 tonight making for 7, now, on the season.

Speaking of Guentzel, he tied the all time program record tonight for points in a single game tonight with 5. The same Mike Guentzel that Air Force Head Coach Frank Serratore called "The greatest college hockey player I have ever seen." and then compared him to Wayne Gretzky, of all things.

On to more meaningful (and better) competition against St. Cloud State on Olympic ice. A place where UNO has won exactly twice, ever.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 11-29-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Good weekend for the Mavs for sure. A little concerned with the inability to put away Ohio State with a 5-2 lead in the final period. Just about let them force an overtime. Weninger was laid out to dry on a few of those for sure.

So far so good....but the meat of the schedule lies ahead. Let's see what these Mavs are made of.

Comment

By the way.

That 24 shots on goal UNO allowed in the 3rd period last night?

That broke the all time program record for shots allowed in a period.

The irony there is that the previous record was also accomplished by none other than Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                Another home sweep. Ohio State is now 0-5-1 in its last 6 games against UNO and that tie was also a shootout loss for them (which was played in front of a tidy gathering of 13,147 here in Omaha for said shootout back in February of 2010, the 3rd largest home crowd in program history).

This is the most wins (11), pre-December 1st, in program history. 8-0-0 in non-conference play. Sweeps against WCHA, AHC, HEC and Big 10 teams. One more non-con left--with independent ASU, at home, in 3 weeks. No reason we should not end up 10-0-0 in non-conference play.

Back to back nights where a sell out was NOT announced. Kudos to UNO for being honest about it and shame, shame, shame on UNO students, who are the sole reason the last two games weren't sold out. Watching the Husker game on Friday (the nobody's, doing nothings, going nowheres Huskers) in lieu of watching the #6 team in the country that's #4 in Pairwise play Ohio State makes you complete loser fans in my book if you did that instead of attend the hockey game. The Huskers, and their season, are utterly meaningless. Tonight, they got a bit cannibalized by the Lancers playing at home, literally right down the street, in front about 3,000, there, at Ralston Arena.

Further kudos to the school for recognizing this issue beforehand and making student tickets available to anyone by re-instituting rush seating for UNO games.

UNO was outshot this weekend 81-67 yet outscored OSU 9-5. Plus, the entire weekend was largely the Austin Ortega (tied for the national lead in goals) and Jake Guentzel (3rd, nationally, in scoring) show, with a very strong supporting actor nod to Evan Weninger who is doing the unthinkable--making everyone forget about Ryan Massa. We need some more production out of other players. Nice that the power play decided to show up tonight, finally, as well. We almost doubled our entire output of power play goals for the entire season in one game! 3 tonight making for 7, now, on the season.

Speaking of Guentzel, he tied the all time program record tonight for points in a single game tonight with 5. The same Mike Guentzel that Air Force Head Coach Frank Serratore called "The greatest college hockey player I have ever seen." and then compared him to Wayne Gretzky, of all things.

On to more meaningful (and better) competition against St. Cloud State on Olympic ice. A place where UNO has won exactly twice, ever.
                Jake Guentzel. Mike coaches for the Goofers, though did coach a season at UNO
                UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

You need to get over the Husker football thing. UNO hockey has been around since 1996 and Husker football started in 1890. Football season is wrapping up and hockey conference play hasn't even started. Student focus will shift once that happens. I'm willing to bet that 98% of UNO students don't even know the basic rules of hockey. To most of them, the last Husker football game of the year is more important than a series against a 3-7 team.

Comment

A split at SCSU is never a bad thing, especially considering their dominance over us up there. And to play that well without Ortega and Guentzel (for the most part) was a good sign. Hopefully Guentzel returns soon, though probably don't need to risk it until after the break. Good first half up to this point, but a lot of hockey left to play.

Comment

I sure hope Frederick Olofsson is able to make it back from Finland in time to play in UNO's series with DU. World Juniors ends on the 6th with both the title and consolation games that day and Sweden is likely to be a participant in one of those two games, methinks. The DU games are the 8th & 9th. I sure want to face them at full strength (pardon the pun).

I'd bet some pretty big money that Alex Blankenburg gets a start, or, starts, in at least one of UNO's next three games. I think Coach Blais will use the upcoming "opportunity" to see what he has in that guy. UNO's goalie situation is going to be really interesting next season with the appearance of Kris Oldham on the scene.

He's somebody that is going to arrive here next season with some cache' like Weninger had:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/lancers-...fc47545f3.html

Comment

Another quick thought.

Has anyone's' star fallen more than Avery Peterson's has so far this season?

From being "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" year before last and a reasonably solid freshman season last year to now just about having fallen off the face of the Earth in this, his sophomore season.

He has even been a healthy scratch in a couple games. He was going to be, too, this past Saturday night but Ortega's allergy problem nixed that. He has one point (an assist) the entire season so far and that came just this past Saturday night against SCSU on Morelli's first career goal in the 3rd period, a shot that Peterson actually took but was just barely deflected in by Morelli and, thus, he got it instead.

This is one player we need to get it going. I thought he'd end up being a cornerstone kind of guy as an upperclassman. He might, yet, but he's just about nowhere to be found at the moment. Does he have some sort of physical issue that we haven't heard anything about?
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 12-08-2015, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Another quick thought.

From being "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" year before last and a reasonably solid freshman season last year to now just about having fallen off the face of the Earth in this, his sophomore season.

He has even been a healthy scratch in a couple games. He was going to be, too, this past Saturday night but Ortega's allergy problem nixed that. He has one point (an assist) the entire season so far and that came just this past Saturday night against SCSU on Morelli's first career goal in the 3rd period, a shot that Peterson actually took but was just barely deflected in by Morelli and, thus, he got it instead.

This is one player we need to get it going. I thought he'd end up being a cornerstone kind of guy as an upperclassman. He might, yet, but he's just about nowhere to be found at the moment. Does he have some sort of physical issue that we haven't heard anything about?
                          I watched him pretty closely on Saturday night (sitting with people from Grand Rapids) and I thought he was all over the ice and had a good game. His points were very sporadic and came in bunches last year, so maybe he hasn't hit his stride.

On a side note that is sure to stick in your craw, Kirk Thompson had the NCHC's #1 play of the week

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
                            I watched him pretty closely on Saturday night (sitting with people from Grand Rapids) and I thought he was all over the ice and had a good game. His points were very sporadic and came in bunches last year, so maybe he hasn't hit his stride.

On a side note that is sure to stick in your craw, Kirk Thompson had the NCHC's #1 play of the week
                            Yeah, I saw that. Good for him! I don't know where or how everyone formulated the opinion that I somehow hate Kirk Thompson.

True confession, my wife thinks he's smoking hot and THAT doesn't even color my thinking.

What colors my thinking is a desire to win an NCAA D-1 Hockey Championship and it isn't going to happen with Kirk Thompson in goal. He hasn't done squat everywhere he has been. Hell, I even had a chance to meet him at the meet and greet the Omaha Storm Chasers did for the Mavs at Werner Park here in Papillion after the Frozen Four. Great guy. Really nice.

Not a championship goalie. Not even close.

Nobody even has to take my word for it. Look at his numbers while at UNO and before, even.

I wish him well in life, but it won't be getting paid to be a goalie anywhere. He's a Criminal Justice major and, for his sake, here's hoping he's a lot better at saving us from bad guys than he is at saving pucks from the net.
                            Last edited by Red Cows; 12-09-2015, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Another quick thought.

And now he's left the team for personal reasons.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                And now he's left the team for personal reasons.
                                http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbm...CLID=210585589

Comment

Working...
                                X