X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Hall of Fame game - Vermont @ Minnesota 10/10/15

Originally posted by harry View Post
    Ok, I'll ask....

Why a Hall of Fame game? The inductions are not on Saturday, correct?
    Is there any pomp or circumstance surrounding this game? Any hall of famers going to be there or anything?
    I am excited for the out of conf matchup and all, just wonderin'!
    When the Gophers play there's always a future HOFer in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      I get FS North, but not North Plus. So what are my online options, if any? Thanks.
      Fox College Sports is carrying it if you get that.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Vermont game notes from Gophersports.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...100715aab.html

The Gopher Hockey program enters its 95th season in 2015-16 as the two-time defending Big Ten regular-season champions and the defending Big Ten tournament champions. Minnesota opens the campaign -- the 17th under head coach Don Lucia -- on Saturday, Oct. 10, hosting the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game at Mariucci Arena against Vermont at 7 p.m.

The Gophers feature only one player who saw the ice the last time Minnesota took on Vermont (a two-game road sweep for the Gophers in 2012-13), but it was certainly a memorable experience for A.J. Michaelson. The senior forward tallied his first collegiate point (an assist) in the series opener -- a 5-1 Minnesota Victory -- and then notched his first collegiate goal -- the eventual game winner -- the following night in a 3-1 sweep-clinching victory.

Four Championships -- A Program First
        For the first time in Gopher Hockey history, the Maroon & Gold have earned four-straight regular-season conference titles after repeating as Big Ten champions last year. Minnesota's 6-2 win over Penn State in the regular-season finale clinched the championship for Minnesota with the title standing as the 16th regular-season conference crown in program history. Prior to the back-to-back Big Ten titles, Minnesota won two-straight MacNaughton Cups as WCHA regular-season champions in the team's final two years in the league (co-champions in 2012-13).

Pacing the Nation
        Not only have the Gophers won four-straight conference titles, they've earned four-straight NCAA tournament berths over that span including two trips to the NCAA Frozen Four and added a Big Ten tournament title last year. Perhaps even more impressive is the overall record of the Maroon & Gold over that stretch. Over the last four years, Minnesota leads the nation in total wins (105), winning percentage (.690) and fewest losses (43).
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'll ask....

Is there any pomp or circumstance surrounding this game? Any hall of famers going to be there or anything?
          Good questions and you're not the only one wondering about the details behind the marquee. If there is anything special being held on Sat. to commemorate the event, I haven't seen it. IMO this event could use a strong dose of marketing expertise as it does not appear to be marketed very well.

This is essentially a fund raising event for the non-profit "U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame" in Eveleth, MN, not to be confused with the "NHL Hall of Fame" in Toronto, CA. The U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame honors only Americans for their contribution to hockey in the United States. As a non-profit organization, the US Hockey HOF generates its income from private donations, grants, fund raising events, and sponsorships from USA Hockey, the Minnesota Wild and others.

There is also a Women's Hockey Hall of Fame Face-Off College Game involving the University of Minnesota vs. St. Cloud State University @ Roseville Ice Arena, St. Paul, MN, December 11, 2015. The actual U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place this year in Boston, MA, December 17.

U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinees since 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Fox College Sports is carrying it if you get that.
            Hmmm, pretty sure I do -- will check tonight. Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

The Gophers had a full week of practice instead of playing the traditional early exhibition game:

"It seemed like some of these exhibition games have been kind of lopsided, out-shooting somebody 45-15. I don't know how much that does for you," Lucia said. "You don't get any practice time. I just felt that maybe we would get more benefit out of practice."
              With a full week of practice, the Gophers appear to be going with Gates/Kloos/Fasching on the first line. Brent Gates Jr., an 18 year old freshman, has good puck handling skills. According to the practice line sets we could see: 2nd line: Cammarata/Sheehy/C. Reilly, 3rd line: Bristedt/Novak/Lettieri and 4th line: Michealson or Ramsey or R. Reilly/Romanko/?

The Catamounts with 9 FR will be a good opening challenge for the equally young Gopher squad. I would expect to see Santaguida in net who posted a respectable 2.08 GAA and .923 SV% last season. In front of him defensemen like ex-Boston University D Alexx Privitera and offensive minded FR D Mike Lee from the Penticton Vees are players to watch on the backline. Up front former Hockey East Rookie of the Year Mario Puskarich and returning 19 goal scorer last season JR Brady Shaw are expected to help lead the offensive surge for the Catamounts this season.

I would expect to see Schierhorn, possibly Lehr as well sharing duties between the pipes for the Gophers. With home ice advantage and having the edge with their speed game and talent, I've got the Gophers as the favorite for the W in their season opener. Go Gophers!

Comment

I thought they moved Vinni to C, but I could have that wrong.

It's game day!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Good questions and you're not the only one wondering about the details behind the marquee. If there is anything special being held on Sat. to commemorate the event, I haven't seen it. IMO this event could use a strong dose of marketing expertise as it does not appear to be marketed very well.

This is essentially a fund raising event for the non-profit "U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame" in Eveleth, MN, not to be confused with the "NHL Hall of Fame" in Toronto, CA. The U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame honors only Americans for their contribution to hockey in the United States. As a non-profit organization, the US Hockey HOF generates its income from private donations, grants, fund raising events, and sponsorships from USA Hockey, the Minnesota Wild and others.

There is also a Women's Hockey Hall of Fame Face-Off College Game involving the University of Minnesota vs. St. Cloud State University @ Roseville Ice Arena, St. Paul, MN, December 11, 2015. The actual U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place this year in Boston, MA, December 17.

U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinees since 1973.
                  I remember attending a Hall of Fame game of the Gophers years ago that was held either in Eveleth or the Hibbing Hippodrome, so at least one year it was held near the US Hockey Hall of Fame.

Comment

MN wins, 28905-2. Rookie goalie is totally a sieve.

/tArrogance
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      MN wins, 28905-2. Rookie goalie is totally a sieve.

/tArrogance

Comment

Ok, I'll ask....

Isn't this an extra game, allowing both teams to have a game over the NCAA limit?
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

It is an "extra" game, ya.

Comment

Maybe that should be Santa & Mario to the Rescue.
                            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                              Maybe that should be Santa & Mario to the Rescue.
                              True...Santa came early for you guys. Super Mario had some good bounces, but nothing spectacular as it looked like Schierhorn batted the first one in and the rebound on the second took a very funny bounce.

Gophers didn't play well at all and laid a big egg tonight losing their home opener 3 zip to a tenacious, hard skating UVM team. Credit the Catamounts, who played hard for 60 min. as a team, were strong on the forecheck and plugged the neutral zone well. Santa was very good in net, but arguably not tested by the typical Gopher barrage of shots/game. Gopher PP last season was #1 in the nation, tonight was 0-4.

Both teams came out with energy from the puck drop with strong pace and physicality. But the chemistry clearly wasn't there for the Gophers on the top 2 lines tonight, which led Lucia to dump Gates off the 1st in the 2nd period and bring C. Reilly up. Kloos was the dominant player on offense, but didn't get the supporting cast he needed to bury a goal. Schierhorn made good saves when needed, but the D seemed too porous tonight, letting VM launch far too many scoring chances.

Scoring chances were few by comparison for the Gophers. Passing at times was off target and led to 2X as many turnovers as UVM. The game was punctuated with numerous FR mistakes in the transition zone while trying to do too much rather than taking care of the puck. Lots of work to do on this team if the Gophers expect to hang any banners this season.

Comment

True...Santa came early for you guys. Super Mario had some good bounces, but nothing spectacular as it looked like Schierhorn batted the first one in and the rebound on the second took a very funny bounce.

Gophers didn't play well at all and laid a big egg tonight losing their home opener 3 zip to a tenacious, hard skating UVM team. Credit the Catamounts, who played hard for 60 min. as a team, were strong on the forecheck and plugged the neutral zone well. Santa was very good in net, but arguably not tested by the typical Gopher barrage of shots/game. Gopher PP last season was #1 in the nation, tonight was 0-4.

Both teams came out with energy from the puck drop with strong pace and physicality. But the chemistry clearly wasn't there for the Gophers on the top 2 lines tonight, which led Lucia to dump Gates off the 1st in the 2nd period and bring C. Reilly up. Kloos was the dominant player on offense, but didn't get the supporting cast he needed to bury a goal. Schierhorn made good saves when needed, but the D seemed too porous tonight, letting VM launch far too many scoring chances.

Scoring chances were few by comparison for the Gophers. Passing at times was off target and led to 2X as many turnovers as UVM. The game was punctuated with numerous FR mistakes in the transition zone while trying to do too much rather than taking care of the puck. Lots of work to do on this team if the Gophers expect to hang any banners this season.
                                As a Vermont fan who got to watch the broadcast, I would suggest that all is not lost in Minnesota. The reality is that the Gophers had at least 6 to 8 shots on great scoring chances go wide. Wide means no rebound and no ability to out muscle the rather small UVM defence. I am sure as the season goes on many of those shots will either go in or on net and goals will be scored.
                                Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X