SCSU 2015-2016 Season: This Year Is Our Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    My gut feeling is they'll put the higher seed of the two in STP.
    Same here.
    UND will travel better no matter where they are put so the higher team will likely get STP.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Re: SCSU 2015-2016 Season: This Year Is Our Year

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
      I'd really like to see more consistent effort. We've been good enough to get away with it a few times this year, but it won't fly in the tournament. We've also given 3+ goals more often then I'm comfortable with lately.
      I think this is a question every hockey fan asks of their team X times per season. Whether it be a h.s. team I follow, the Gophers, the Wild hell we've even seen it in the Olympics. It's maddening and frustrating especially when it would seem "the moment" alone should be enough to prevent anyone from taking the situation lightly. Physical mistakes happen, pipes are hit, an accidental trip, a seeing eye puck finds the impossible gap, etc. Sometimes you just get beat. But why there can be games where seemingly an entire team has taken the night off is confounding. Perhaps that's where coaches earn their paycheck - finding ways to see it before it happens and leading them away of the funk. And no that's not a comment on Motzko - we have our **** problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        My gut feeling is they'll put the higher seed of the two in STP.
        This is what I would expect also.

Comment

I agree. The higher of the two seams in the pairwise will be placed in St Paul. Obviously both teams will have a better turnout by playing in St Paul than playing in Cincy. I think there's a good chance that St Cloud finishes higher in the pairwise but its looking more increasingly like UND will win the conference title. The fact that St Cloud lost to 23 ranked Miami and still stayed at #2 says that their ranking is pretty strong. I also think there's a good chance either Minnesota or Mankato end up in St Paul if they make the tournament (if MN gets in they HAVE to play there).

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
            I agree. The higher of the two seams in the pairwise will be placed in St Paul. Obviously both teams will have a better turnout by playing in St Paul than playing in Cincy. I think there's a good chance that St Cloud finishes higher in the pairwise but its looking more increasingly like UND will win the conference title. The fact that St Cloud lost to 23 ranked Miami and still stayed at #2 says that their ranking is pretty strong. I also think there's a good chance either Minnesota or Mankato end up in St Paul if they make the tournament (if MN gets in they HAVE to play there).
            I'm hoping they go with putting the higher seed in St. Paul and I can't recall a time they moved the higher seed further away from home. But they can. It's entirely possible UND will be the higher seed if these two end up meeting in the Frozen Faceoff and UND wins. Not saying that will happen but clearly both have good teams, could definitely happen.

If SCSU ends up at the X and the Gophers get in (I still think they'll win their AQ) we're probably looking at 6-7,000 per session (tickets sold). If it is Mankato instead, probably 4,000. UND going to Cinci is probably close to 6,000. So call it a total of 12-13,000 between the two on the high side.

UND to the X facing the Gophers and you're probably in the 10-12,000 range. Mankato instead, 8-9,000. Ship SCSU to Cinci and I think we're looking at 3,000 max. So looking at 13-15,000 total between the two regions.

That's pretty close between the two. Again, I'd hope they just keep the higher seed closer to home.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
              I'm hoping they go with putting the higher seed in St. Paul and I can't recall a time they moved the higher seed further away from home. But they can. It's entirely possible UND will be the higher seed if these two end up meeting in the Frozen Faceoff and UND wins. Not saying that will happen but clearly both have good teams, could definitely happen.

If SCSU ends up at the X and the Gophers get in (I still think they'll win their AQ) we're probably looking at 6-7,000 per session (tickets sold). If it is Mankato instead, probably 4,000. UND going to Cinci is probably close to 6,000. So call it a total of 12-13,000 between the two on the high side.

UND to the X facing the Gophers and you're probably in the 10-12,000 range. Mankato instead, 8-9,000. Ship SCSU to Cinci and I think we're looking at 3,000 max. So looking at 13-15,000 total between the two regions.

That's pretty close between the two. Again, I'd hope they just keep the higher seed closer to home.
              If the over/under is 6,000 per day in Cincinnati with UND there, I'll take the under.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

One last random (home) attendance thought. I hadn't attended a SCSU home game in years (live in Duluth, have been to many Husky games in Duluth, plus some Final Five, North Star Cup games), but finally went again in Nov. 2014 vs. UMD, and have been to games against Arizona State and Western Michigan this season. It seems pretty obvious to me that while "official" attendance has dropped considerably, actual attendance hasn't dropped much at all. The announced attendance for those 3 games were all between 4200-4600 and it looked like that was relatively close to how many people were actually there. Those types of crowds would have been announced as 5500-6000 ten years ago. At the very least, they're not counting 1500 students even if there is zero. They're still not selling every last ticket for North Dakota and Minnesota game (and not selling over 7000 like they used to), but run-of-the-mill games are about what they have always been.

As for regional attendance, I would take the under if the over/under was 6000 with North Dakota there too. Yes, they'd bring a lot more than SCSU, but 2000 is a lot more than 500, and a lot less than 6000.
                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

There are fewer seats available in the NHC now that it's been remodeled and re-branded the HBNHC. Adding seatbacks and limiting the SRO so it's no longer three-deep in certain sections of the building all cut in to that total.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    There are fewer seats available in the NHC now that it's been remodeled and re-branded the HBNHC. Adding seatbacks and limiting the SRO so it's no longer three-deep in certain sections of the building all cut in to that total.
                    I realize that, but I know that they didn't sell all available tickets anyway to the last North Dakota series. I think they came close on Saturday.

I also hope they can at least finish renovating the concourses and bathrooms at some point. When the plan was announced, I was most looking forward to the upgrades to the seating bowl, but now that the first half is finished and phase 2 on indefinite hold, I've changed my tune a little. The entrance is great. The upgraded south concourse, bathrooms, and concessions are great. The new paint job, murals and banners in the seating bowl look nice. However, as you walk around the rink you can pretty much say here is where they ran out of money. If they could refurbish the rest of the concourse it would at least feel finished, even though not all proposals were completed.
                    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                    UMD Men: 2011

Comment

The Huskies are #1 in the Pairwise right now!

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSUhuskies View Post
                        The Huskies are #1 in the Pairwise right now!
                        Actually your wrong SCSU, UND and QU are tied for #1 in pairwise. They are #1 in RPI though

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                          Actually your wrong SCSU, UND and QU are tied for #1 in pairwise. They are #1 in RPI though
                          That's still number one in the pairwise.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

And DU winning flipped the QU/UND comp back to QU, so it's back to how it was.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

A big thanks to DU! I really thought we were out of the points race coming into this weekend.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                A big thanks to DU! I really thought we were out of the points race coming into this weekend.

The Pioneers graciously accept your thanks.
                                Hope to see you again.
                                New Year-New Game
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X