UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

Very disappointed with the game, but there was a tremendous amount of freshman ice time and Acadia's goalie was awesome. However with the upcoming slate of games it may have been more prudent to act as if this game counted. Regardless, I agree with alot of j24vt's points...

The first line will be a line to reckon with. Puskarich and Shaw should do alot of damage this year if they can stay healthy.

I thought the line of Coughlin - J. Priv - Bowen was excellent and I am excited to watch them as they get some practice and game time together. They should contribute a lot, especially Coughlin who clearly isn't afraid to shoot the puck and had some good chances. He had 60 pts in 54g last year so he knows how to score and I think he will be an impact player sooner then later.

Abramson looked good and I expect him to contribute on the score board as well eating up minutes on the ice. One shot in particular stuck out in my mind that was a great shot at a great time. I wish I could explain it.

The defense does scare me. Abramson, A. Priv, Pattyn, and Phillips all looked decent, but the rest scare me. I was high on Hamilton as a frosh as he has good offensive instinct and the defensive mistakes I thought would work themselves out. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case. Now I'm not sure the risk/reward favors Hamilton getting a lot of ice time.

The D definitely needs some work, which fortunately has always been a strength. That and the PP needs to get going before next weekend. Granted it's the first game of the season and there was a hot goalie in net, but with that many chances especially with extended 5 on 3's there needs to be more going in the net.

Either way, I hope that Acadia goalie earned another start in goal, because for a back up tender he played a stellar game.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

had to leave after the second period for a family thing (thanks 4pm start) but scoreline is disappointing my takeaway is that they'll be competitive but might take some time to gel problems in the back on defense are going to take a while it seems. Also hard to get a read on line combos given that they were able to dress guys in between periods"? thought I saw Ted Ryan tweet that might be wrong. But will say it is nice to see more size on the ice with Couglin and Bowen and some others and they aren't stiffs either
      Stinkbell will have to sit most the year unless Sneddon wants to have a guy in the box all game wouldnt shock me if Lee or Kearly take his spot they looked pretty decent.
      Like I said this is gonna take some time I think theyll take lumps early and perhaps be in position to be midpack and be the team people don't want to play late in the season. Losing Paliotta on D is gonna hurt for a while until things get together and forward lines are solid.
      Speaking of Paliotta he was assigned to Columbus' AHL team with Jamie Sifers and "head whacker" Connor Brickley is probably gonna make the Panthers.

Comment

A very small note of interest in a VTDigger article the other day on UVM Fundraising

"Though it was not hyped in any speeches or media materials released as part of the announcement, Sullivan told VTDigger after his remarks that some of the campaign money will go toward a new hockey and basketball arena .....He did not have a cost or timeframe for that project, saying it would be built “as soon as we have those commitments.”"

As for a time line ...

"the university has collected $248 million toward its $500 million goal. It plans to raise the remaining quarter-billion dollars by 2019."

Keep in mind the $500M is for many new things in addition to the arena. On a positive note it looks as if construction could begin sooner then later.

Comment

Great to have hockey back. I was very excited for this game. Although, I did miss the 1st period, I thought the team played very well. A couple of players seemed to have a little rust, Santa included. Both goals were a defensive breakdown, but I felt if he were a bit quicker he could have made the saves. I felt the rest of the team was very aggressive and opportunistic. They intercepted a lot of passes through the neutral zone, and were constantly putting pressure on the Acadia's defensemen at the blue line. Obviously, only one game so it is very tough to tell what we have here.

I can't say I like the chippiness of these exhibition games. 2 game misconducts. Not sure I understand the reasoning behind scheduling these Canadian teams that just seem to want to throw punches. I guess its a good way to toughen our guys up, I just worry about injuries in meaningless games.

Overall I liked the way they looked. But looking at the first 5 games on the schedule, I can't help but have the thought enter my mind that there is a real good chance this team starts out 0-5. Lets hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule617 View Post

I can't say I like the chippiness of these exhibition games. 2 game misconducts. Not sure I understand the reasoning behind scheduling these Canadian teams that just seem to want to throw punches. I guess its a good way to toughen our guys up, I just worry about injuries in meaningless games.
            The reasoning is two fold...

1.) put the guys into a game situation so that the coaches can watch and see what needs immediate work for the next weekend. Remember the first practice was Sat and they were playing Sun, so Sneddon wants to see whats try and figure out if the PP needs work or PK, or whatever. Also and opportunity to watch the freshman in action.

2.) They can charge people. By having an actual opponent, all season ticket holders cough up $25. Attendance was just under 3300, so by scheduling the game as opposed to not (which some schools do) UVM took in $82,000.

I still believe they should simply take the week off and have practice, these games aren't worth the risk of injury and it's not even a good prep for the regular season as the style of play is so different from NCAA hockey. There are enough players to field nearly two teams for UVM with all the extra players that have been brought in. Just have an intra squad scrimmage to evaluate for the following weekend. And then have a mid season exhibition to make up the funds. An exhibition game against the USNDTP or certain d-3 squads would sell out, as opposed to the poor attendence versus a canadian squad that is likely to injure a key player.

Comment

I figured it was money driven. I just don't know why they keep choosing teams that play such a different style of hockey. Cross checking and hits after the whistle and such. I miss the Green and Gold games. But alas, UVM wasn't making any money on those games.

Comment

The other part of it is UVM doesn't even fair well against them. They are now 6-4 in preseason exhibition games (1 loss was against the U-18) and have lost 4 of the last 7. So they basically start he season with a demoralizing loss against a Canadian College team full of the Hanson Bros.

How about some AHL teams at the very least?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  The other part of it is UVM doesn't even fair well against them. They are now 6-4 in preseason exhibition games (1 loss was against the U-18) and have lost 4 of the last 7. So they basically start he season with a demoralizing loss against a Canadian College team full of the Hanson Bros.

How about some AHL teams at the very least?
                  you either get a team like that which will give a challenge or beat you or you get the royal military guys from last year and win 8-0 and really AHL teams? clearly you know that is illegal they are pros come on amaturs can't play pros. truth is UVM doesnt care what any of us think and want the $25 bucks at least it is just one game remember them doing 2 of these 2 years ago and Reynolds getting out for year but could always be the basketball team scheduling 3 games agianst not D1 competition this year at home pathetic.
                  I would rather play a d3 locally later in the season like Norwich or Midd maybe even Castleton but UVM probably think it interrupts the season and since d3s dont start til later we won't see them here in October. also UVM doesn't want the nightmare of losing to any of them doubt it would happen now but those 6-win teams it was a strong possibility and UVM wants to make everyone believe no other school in state plays any kind of sports are are good at it on any level.
                  Also that article on the arena sounds like all the statements theyve made in the past it is part of the plan but how much money is dedicated to it and how much is raise Sullivan leaves it very vague we will see.
                  I too suspect a possible 0-5 start but to me this seems like bridge year they'll be fine by the end of the year but perhaps build toward true competitiveness next season.

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
                    you either get a team like that which will give a challenge or beat you or you get the royal military guys from last year and win 8-0 and really AHL teams? clearly you know that is illegal they are pros come on amaturs can't play pros. truth is UVM doesnt care what any of us think and want the $25 bucks at least it is just one game remember them doing 2 of these 2 years ago and Reynolds getting out for year but could always be the basketball team scheduling 3 games agianst not D1 competition this year at home pathetic.
                    I would rather play a d3 locally later in the season like Norwich or Midd maybe even Castleton but UVM probably think it interrupts the season and since d3s dont start til later we won't see them here in October. also UVM doesn't want the nightmare of losing to any of them doubt it would happen now but those 6-win teams it was a strong possibility and UVM wants to make everyone believe no other school in state plays any kind of sports are are good at it on any level.
                    Also that article on the arena sounds like all the statements theyve made in the past it is part of the plan but how much money is dedicated to it and how much is raise Sullivan leaves it very vague we will see.
                    I too suspect a possible 0-5 start but to me this seems like bridge year they'll be fine by the end of the year but perhaps build toward true competitiveness next season.
                    Some random thoughts from watching the exhibition game and reading all your posts:

1) I think it is good to play an exhibition game against a good team, no matter where it comes from. I wish the NCAA teams were able to play 2 or 3 exhibition games. As for the Canadian teams being rough, you have to realize that the NCAA Division 1 is candy *** compared to pro, Major and Tier 2 level hockey in Canada and even the USHL. Plays that would be never called in those other leagues seem to be a penalty to these maternal NCAA referees. I don't want anyone to get hurt but learning to keep your head up is not a bad thing.

2) From the few shifts that Coughlin and Bowen got, it appears that we are getting some aggressiveness that is backed up by size, which is a good thing. It remains to be seen as to how long it will take them to catch up to the speed of the games but when they do, I think we are going to see a power forward game that was absent last year. O'Neil has the ability to do this as well but didn't show it on Sunday. Puffer is a smaller player but looks like he reads the ice well and may be a distributor of the puck.

3) On defence, only Pattyn and Abramson consistently looked like the other team was not going to be able to score. Those two control the boards, especially Abramson and that was good to see. Privittera and Phillips played well but have limitations in the defensive zone. Too bad as the coaches this year and last year seem to think that Privittera is all world, and he is not remotely that. He is an awkward skater, is small and has no shot, but has good hockey sense and heart. Hamilton looks to see a lot of ice and he scares me every time he is on the ice. So does Muscoby. Ferguson looked ok but not physical. The two new guys had better be better then they were last night. Lee is hyped as a puck moving D. The puck should move to his own team. I was also shocked at how slow he was. Not good for a puck moving D. Kearley had moments but seemed to trip over his own two feet on more then one occasion. Bottom line is that as much as the coaches talk about the new depth on defence, Abramson and Pattyn better kill most of the penalties and Pattyn, Abramson, Privittera and Phillips better log most of the ice. This won't happen though as they seem to be infatuated with Hamilton and overrate Privittera on defence. On the PP, they had Hamilton, Privittera, Lee and Phillips as the two d pair. Great, except not one of those guys can break an egg with their shot. Abramson has the hardest shot on the team and Pattyn's isn't bad either. Why are they on the bench during the pp? Kearley might have a big shot as well. Watching the smurf d work it around trying to get it close enough that they can get it all the way to the net in the air was a bit frustrating. Of course, this was an exhibition game so who knows.

Comment

AHL teams? clearly you know that is illegal they are pros come on amaturs can't play pros.
                      Illegal? It happens all the time in baseball? In fact the Univeristy of Tampa just beat the Phillies this past spring. Moreover The Portland Pirates just played University of New Brunswick prior to the UNB v. BC game. UNB being amateurs... no?

I would rather play a d3 locally later in the season like Norwich or Midd maybe even Castleton but UVM probably think it interrupts the season and since d3s dont start til later we won't see them here in October.

I agree. And actually UVM has played mid season games before against the U-18 teams. I'd actually prefer the holiday tourney consisted of Norwich Middlebury and PSU every year. Pick up a non-conference series in one of the off weeks.

??? Really??? I think it was pretty clear, they've raised 250M of 500M they planned on raising and expect to complete all of the fundraising by 2019. I think that's new information? Vague yes in that we don't know how much of the 500M is for the arena and only that once the arena money is raised construction will start... ergo by 2019 at the least. That' is the first definitive timeline I've seen and the first time I've seen where there is a definitive we are building a new arena.
                      Last edited by jcarter7669; 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Illegal? It happens all the time in baseball? In fact the Univeristy of Tampa just beat the Phillies this past spring. Moreover The Portland Pirates just played University of New Brunswick prior to the UNB v. BC game. UNB being amateurs... no?

I agree. And actually UVM has played mid season games before against the U-18 teams. I'd actually prefer the holiday tourney consisted of Norwich Middlebury and PSU every year. Pick up a non-conference series in one of the off weeks.

??? Really??? I think it was pretty clear, they've raised 250M of 500M they planned on raising and expect to complete all of the fundraising by 2019. I think that's new information? Vague yes in that we don't know how much of the 500M is for the arena and only that once the arena money is raised construction will start... ergo by 2019 at the least. That' is the first definitive timeline I've seen and the first time I've seen where there is a definitive we are building a new arena.
                        yeah and baseball is a different sport from hockey and rules for different NCAA sports apply. you don't see the basketball teams playing the Maine Red Claws in the DLeague do you? How you don't know that New Brunswick is not govern by NCAA and are govern by Canada where eligibility rules are different so they can play AHL teams and a NCAA team cannot. pretty simple.
                        And yes of that money what is going to arena, what is raised by arena? You know UVM has single person in charge of raising funds for arena in this project and Sullivan says it is depending on funds when project gets started so it still about UVM reaching its goals and we have no number on how much funds been raised specific to arena and what is to say the goal is not met for the arena specifically by 2019? All I said is nothing we havent heard from the school before so pardon me for not being gung ho ready to go.

Comment

yeah and baseball is a different sport from hockey and rules for different NCAA sports apply. you don't see the basketball teams playing the Maine Red Claws in the DLeague do you?
                          NCAA teams have played the harlem globetrotters, a clearly non amateur team. And college players have also played against professional players in Football. I will start reading through the NCAA hockey rule book unless you know the particular rule already.

Comment

Preview of Minnesota for anyone is interested in this weekends upcoming games...

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-h...%80%99s-hockey

Comment

2.) They can charge people. By having an actual opponent, all season ticket holders cough up $25. Attendance was just under 3300, so by scheduling the game as opposed to not (which some schools do) UVM took in $82,000.[/QUOTE]

Just a small correction, the tickets are $23 for reserved seats and not all 3300 are reserved tickets. In any case they get the money for all the season tickets regardless of whether the seat is filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermont Ref View Post
                                2.) They can charge people. By having an actual opponent, all season ticket holders cough up $25. Attendance was just under 3300, so by scheduling the game as opposed to not (which some schools do) UVM took in $82,000.
                                Just a small correction, the tickets are $23 for reserved seats and not all 3300 are reserved tickets. In any case they get the money for all the season tickets regardless of whether the seat is filled.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, some of those 3300 were student tickets which are free to students. I'm not exactly sure how many but if we say the student section is 4 of 28 or 1/7 then there were ~2830 paying customers, meaning UVM pulled in $65,000 instead of $0.

Comment

Working...
                                X