• Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2015-2016 The New Season

UVM, South Burlington relaunch idea of arena for Catamounts

http://www.sburl.com/vertical/Sites/..._2-23-2016.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
      Creativity is either part of a player's makeup or drilled into the player with coaching. Virtually none of the forwards have any creativity. I think that the defense as a whole are far more creative. That said, any hint of creativity is snuffed out by an offensive scheme that begins and ends with a dump and chase and a defensive scheme that preaches high off the glass to the other team and then let's chase it. Other teams hang on to the puck in a non dangerous way, looking for a team mate to pass to or a scoring lane to open. As with the Turk example, all he did was fire the puck rather then looking for the dman who was trailing. We never pass to the point. Almost all the top teams run the offensive zone play from the point....BU, BC, Providence, Lowell. Why is that?
      I agree, the dump and chase is very frustrating. Not to mention, it doesn't work. Giving up possession of the puck and crossing your fingers that you get it back somewhere near the net is not a good offensive strategy. I always joke that if they put a net in each corner we'd be unstoppable.
      Last edited by Mule617; 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

More disappointment, sure would be great to have a new arena, sorrowful that UVM needs South Burlington to help them because Burlington won't? That said traffic in and out maybe better and if they run shuttle buses the student section shouldn't be too bad.

I do agree with the article that fundraising has languished because no one believes it will ever actually happen... If they had sketches and plans in the lobby for example with a decent on ice product they could generate a signficant amount funding right there. Start selling beer with all proceeds going to fund raising and they'd have the money long before they were ready to break ground. A serious funding effort will produce the funds, but it's time to do make a decision and do it or just stop and upgrade the Gutt with more and better seating and a video scoreboard.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          More disappointment, sure would be great to have a new arena, sorrowful that UVM needs South Burlington to help them because Burlington won't? That said traffic in and out maybe better and if they run shuttle buses the student section shouldn't be too bad.

I do agree with the article that fundraising has languished because no one believes it will ever actually happen... If they had sketches and plans in the lobby for example with a decent on ice product they could generate a signficant amount funding right there. Start selling beer with all proceeds going to fund raising and they'd have the money long before they were ready to break ground. A serious funding effort will produce the funds, but it's time to do make a decision and do it or just stop and upgrade the Gutt with more and better seating and a video scoreboard.
          First of all I would really love this too work, not only because we need it but it would be within walking distance to my house. Games, shows and events that close to home would be awesome.

And for those of you who like a brew at the game wouldnt moving the rink off-campus allow beer to be sold????

As long as it doesnt double my taxes I am all for it.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Great to see. Any how often does UVM play UConn when it's nice out and people would be chillin outside on their cell phone? Watch the vid closely.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

Taking the arena away from campus will eventually be a very bad thing. Every effort possible should be made to keep it right where it is. This will hopefully get Burlington off its AR$$S$S##@SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                Creativity is either part of a player's makeup or drilled into the player with coaching. Virtually none of the forwards have any creativity. I think that the defense as a whole are far more creative. That said, any hint of creativity is snuffed out by an offensive scheme that begins and ends with a dump and chase and a defensive scheme that preaches high off the glass to the other team and then let's chase it. Other teams hang on to the puck in a non dangerous way, looking for a team mate to pass to or a scoring lane to open. As with the Turk example, all he did was fire the puck rather then looking for the dman who was trailing. We never pass to the point. Almost all the top teams run the offensive zone play from the point....BU, BC, Providence, Lowell. Why is that?
                I hate to say "I told you" but I cant help it. This is the fundamental problem with Sneddon's style of play. He does not alow creativity. In fact he squeezes it out of players as soon as they arrive. Just look back at players that come here from the best Junior leagues. They start out making good plays and by the time they leave, they are robots. And if you are a skilled player that he cant pound into his square box, he moves you out for the next guy and the next guy.. Our 2nd, SECOND!!, leading scorer has 18 points. Puskarich had his most dynamic and successful year in his freshman season..
                Last edited by catmandoo; 02-24-2016, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                  I hate to say "I told you" but I cant help it. This is the fundamental problem with Sneddon's style of play. He does not alow creativity. In fact he squeezes it out of players as soon as they arrive. Just look back at players that come here from the best Junior leagues. They start out making good plays and by the time they leave, they are robots. And if you are a skilled player that he cant pound into his square box, he moves you out for the next guy and the next guy.. Our 2nd, SECOND!!, leading scorer has 18 points. Puskarich had his most dynamic and successful year in his freshman season..
                  He also spent that freshman season playing with McCarthy and Fallon, and most teams were focusing more on those two as Mario was a undrafted unknown. Then Chris left and Mario became the other teams biggest target with nobody as good as Chris to set him up.
                  New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I saw that Mario has the 2nd most shots on goal in the country!
                    Do we run through him too much? or just maybe bad luck?
                    Interesting stat....don't really know what it tells.
                    Just thought it caught my eye to have a Catamount near the top when looking at the leaderboards.

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Big series this weekend at MC from a home ice perspective. The potential is there for MC and UVM to meet in the 1st round, but which team is home rests on this weekend's results (if MC takes 3, they'd be tied, but Merrimack would have the tiebreaker. Really surprised to see that UVM only has 3 more goals scored than Merrimack...thought your offense would be much better this year (especially with Puskarich).
                      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

• Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                        Big series this weekend at MC from a home ice perspective. The potential is there for MC and UVM to meet in the 1st round, but which team is home rests on this weekend's results (if MC takes 3, they'd be tied, but Merrimack would have the tiebreaker. Really surprised to see that UVM only has 3 more goals scored than Merrimack...thought your offense would be much better this year (especially with Puskarich).
                        We're always challenged offensively, so no surprise there. What is surprising is that we've been an unmitigated disaster at times defensively. We also don't seem to have the intangibles or team chemistry to take an average squad and make it really good. I predict a split this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          He also spent that freshman season playing with McCarthy and Fallon, and most teams were focusing more on those two as Mario was a undrafted unknown. Then Chris left and Mario became the other teams biggest target with nobody as good as Chris to set him up.
                          Very True

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                            Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see much at stake this weekend from a home ice perspective. We cant get home ice IMHO. We're in seventh place, five points behind Neastern. Thus even if we sweep Merrimack and Northeastern gets swept by Maine (unlikely) we're still in seventh and thus on the road, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus22 View Post
                              Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see much at stake this weekend from a home ice perspective. We cant get home ice IMHO. We're in seventh place, five points behind Neastern. Thus even if we sweep Merrimack and Northeastern gets swept by Maine (unlikely) we're still in seventh and thus on the road, as far as I can tell.
                              2016 Hockey East Men's Tournament Friday - Sunday, March 4-6: Best-of-Three Opening Round
                              Play on Campus
                              (#5 hosts #12, #6 hosts #11, #7 hosts #10, #8 hosts #9)
                              Friday - Sunday, March 11-13: Best-of-Three Quarterfinal Round
                              Play on Campus
                              (Schools #1 - #4 host four opening round winners, highest vs. lowest, etc.)
                              Friday, March 18
                              at TD Garden: Semifinal Games
                              Saturday, March 19
                              at TD Garden: Championship Final
                              http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/tourney/index.php
                              Last edited by boblav1; 02-25-2016, 12:07 PM.

Comment

rufus, you been under a rock the last few years?

Comment

Working...
                                X