X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    I sat, as a youth at Dane County Coliseum watching the old WCHA when Michigan was in it. I was at the 1977 NC game between our schools at Detroit's Olympia. I could be considered an "old-timer" too. We lost ALOT, but at least it was entertaining, like this weekend was.
    Hey! I was there too! Small world, huh?

Man that is getting to be a long time ago, isn't it...
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Teams tend to lose recruits when they ax the guys that recruited them. It's just a fact of life.

I was fine with Barry axing Eaves last summer and said so several times. I thought there was little to no chance of it actually happening. I earlier put his retention chances as all but a sure thing at 16 or more wins this year and he's all but done at 10. That's what I think about it. I'd bet it's accurate. But I have zero control over it. If I'm Barry today, I support Eaves and the program until April. That's not that hard to figure out.

Whether or not I like these kids has nothing to do with whether Eaves was retained last summer. My Delorean is in the shop. I can't go back and change it. I want them to win, and if there are any encouraging signs toward that goal, I'm pleased with them. (I would have used Lynn Dickey's Packers with Lofton, JJ, and Coffman as a fun to watch example!) So if you have those things you mentioned as standards, you can't root for this team, (because there's little chance they are meeting them) and anyone who does is a fool? That's maybe overstated, but it's basically where I have the disconnect. Coach X wasn't going to walk in and instantly make these guys a top 5 team. But we could watch them I guess and then it would be ok to be be happy if there are any improvements week to week? It makes no sense to me. Same boys on the ice either way for the most part.

I don't know... maybe the same people would still ***** that they weren't suddenly 12-2.
      For me it boils down to the chicken **** move by eaves last year to fire the poor assistants that he hired versus stepping down. That and he has basically destroyed the program. I just think people are done with him and the program until he is gone. He has lost the fanbase (like he did the team last year) and I don't think they are coming back to him. I hear that more and more from people I talk to.

I support the team but not eaves. While I want them to win, I believe it is in the best interest of the program If they don't. Call me whatever you want, but that's the way I see it.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
        If you believe it is pointless to apply a standard of excellence that has always been demanded at all things at the University of Wisconsin, then it is you sir, that I believe is in error. That should never get old, and when you settle for less, you get what we have seen in the last couple of years. Satisfaction with this mediocre program is a malaise I find unacceptable.

Always been demanded at all things? You sir, are dreaming. Hockey is the about only thing that was consistently good, before Richter hired Barry, and then Bo. (Although we had a pretty good club Badminton team when I was in school) Bo is the only coach with a winning conference record since 1934. Barry since my pops played for Bucky. (and he lived a reasonably long life.) And even that just barely. And speaking of Bo, what kind of standard of excellence are you demanding? Bobby Knight won 3 Championships and 11 Big 10 titles in the time Bo has had. Bo is averaging one conference championship for every four years he's been here. And ZERO NCAA Championships. I find satisfaction with this mediocre program unnacceptable!

The funny thing is I more or less agree with solo in principle, just probably not in application. But I want to disagree with you. Honestly, this post just makes you sound like a bit of a supercillious jerk, which you're probably not. Who said anything about settling or being satisfied?
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          For me it boils down to the chicken **** move by eaves last year to fire the poor assistants that he hired versus stepping down. That and he has basically destroyed the program. I just think people are done with him and the program until he is gone. He has lost the fanbase (like he did the team last year) and I don't think they are coming back to him. I hear that more and more from people I talk to.

I support the team but not eaves. While I want them to win, I believe it is in the best interest of the program If they don't. Call me whatever you want, but that's the way I see it.
          To be fair, you'd feel the same way or probably worse if they didn't fire the assistants.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I will not engage in ad hominen attacks with you regardless of how passive-aggressive they may be. I have found that once this begins, the quality of the argument (meaning discussion) is typically degraded. We disagree, and with that you may have the last word if you so wish.

Comment

For me it boils down to the chicken **** move by eaves last year to fire the poor assistants that he hired versus stepping down. .
              Firing the assistants was the right move after BA retained Eaves. It they had made no changes, I may have jumped ship. Something had to give there. It was not ideal, but it was a positive move.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                It was not ideal, but it was a positive move.
                It was a move. Putting some new wheels on a '78 Pinto might make it handle better for a while, but it's still a Pinto.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Highlights here from Saturday. http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...120515aad.html

It's hard to really fault Jurusik on most of MI goals, although Downing's to take the lead seemed pretty straight forward. He's got the skills but he's still learning on the job. He can be, and really has to be, a bit better I think.

Ryan Wagner I believe is the first Badger to sit atop a conference points list since Hobey Blake in 2010 with his 2-3-5 weekend. Davison 2-2-4 tied for second. Davison stepping in and breaking down the defender was a thing of beauty. If he could only play some D. Also Zirbel's spin-o-rama assist was pretty sweet.

Some of those weasel goals were pretty ugly plays by our boys though... Coulda, shoulda, woulda... blech.
                  Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-07-2015, 10:24 AM.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Firing the assistants was the right move after BA retained Eaves. It they had made no changes, I may have jumped ship. Something had to give there. It was not ideal, but it was a positive move.
                    What we have been told was said it was either he fires the assistants or loses his job.... Again, he hired them, they take the downfall. Eaves gets by and will probably get an extension in May this year.
                    Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

What we have been told was said it was either he fires the assistants or loses his job.... Again, he hired them, they take the downfall. Eaves gets by and will probably get an extension in May this year.
                      Just out of curiosity, who told us that?
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Kunin #15 on NHL Draft Buzz rankings: http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!2016-dec/crq0
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                        X