This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

I'm already ****ing sick of blowing leads and losing. You shouldn't lose this often with 1, 2, or 3 goal leads in a game. ESPECIALLY if you have them in the third period.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
      I'm already ****ing sick of blowing leads and losing. You shouldn't lose this often with 1, 2, or 3 goal leads in a game. ESPECIALLY if you have them in the third period.
      Have you ever watched a Mike Eaves team play in the 3rd? Get a lead, turtle, and hope to hang on.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Hughes -2
        Wittchow -2
        Kunin -3
        Besse -2
        Soleway -2

6 goals is great but our transition defense sucks (see: Wittchow on goal against #5).

Comment

You guys can ***** all you want. IMO that was a hell of a hockey game to watch.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            You guys can ***** all you want. IMO that was a hell of a hockey game to watch.
            I listened in for a bit and it sounded fun (or at least the bits in the 2nd period did) but,...where are the wins?

This is WISCONSIN Hockey, one losing season is more than enough for about a decade or more, they need to start winning, period. I don't care what Eaves or Alvarez says about this team or the staff. win and win now.

In better news, the women's teams swept the rats and are now 18-0. Congrats!
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I mean it's great that they are scoring goals, but the blown leads are getting old quickly. When is the last time the Badgers scored 10 goals in a weekend and have one lousy point to show for it? I'll admit, I'm spoiled by watching the women's team getting out front of teams and closing them out.

Comment

I was at the women's game Friday night when they put the men's score up on the board at 4-2. I turned to my wife and said, just wait. The Hockey Fb page said "we're a 2nd period team" after scoring 3 in the 2nd period 2 nights in a row, and I commented that they should try to be a 3rd period team sometimes too. Eaves' 3rd period style over the years has made it to easy to adopt this attitude.
                Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                sigpic
                Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Obviously I agree with solo that they HAVE TO WIN NOW. (It should be obvious at least because solo and I always agree. We're like long lost brothers that way. It's uncanny!)

Having said that, already down Rockwood, down 2-0 right off the bat, and then down Soleway early (out for the game), the Badger's don't just fold up on the road. They get a couple of PP goals from Wagner filling in for Jed, and then press to build a lead. Double shifting Kunin and Besse and god knows all the line combos they were running all night. Had Ustaski on the top line and Besse on the 4th and all possibilities inbetween. The pace is brutal and they cough up the lead in the third on just a horrible lapse by Eddie, but still they don't fold up as they have so much over the past year. They battle, get pucks in and Kunin finally beats his man down the slot and draws the penalty with the puck right on the doorstep. Beautiful, beautiful play by Seamus to hit Freytag right at the top of the crease in the waning seconds of the PP to knot it again at 6 for their second comeback of the game. Granted, if you hold a lead, you don't have to come back. On the other hand, everybody was tired of boring hockey. This was definitely not boring.
                  They fight off a MI PP with Kunin in the box (on a call I hated, considering the calls they let go just prior) in a do or die situation and get it done against one of the top PP's in the country. (Badgers PK is perfect on the weekend and 4-7 on the PP) I hate not winning, but there was a lot of good, along with all the bad on the weekend and the Badger's consolation prize is at least getting points against all three top echelon opponents they faced in the last six. Two at home against Michigan are the only teams of this quality left on the schedule. (It remains to be seen if PSU is a paper tiger or not.)

Badgers left it on the ice, and some of these guys are going to sleep 'til Monday.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I'm tired of losing. Lose 2-1, lose 7-6. Neither will get you an NCAA berth. Does the committee award style points? Now it seems we are chalking moral victories because we can score more than last year. Coughing up leads in the 3rd seems to be this team's MO. I guess the old timers here just have our sights set too high. Boys and girls, just recalibrate and declare the season a success if we get to 10 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
                      I guess the old timers here just have our sights set too high.
                      I doubt there are a large number of "old timers" here that have seen more games going back to the 70's than I have. You may very well be one I have no idea, but it's pretty much irrelevant anyway. It's perfectly fine to have very high standards for the program. Applying those standards to this particular team is fairly pointless. I could have saved you the time early on by guaranteeing this team was not going to win 25 and be a #1 seed. There's really ZERO reason to follow along.

Unless of course it's simply to ***** about how they don't live up to Wisconsin standards and throw cold water on any one who is interested in watching if/how these players and this team develops. And is occasionally pleased at some progress. Which doesn't matter of course, because they'll never meet Wisco standards this year.

I completely understand the sentiment, but it also gets a little old.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I doubt there are a large number of "old timers" here that have seen more games going back to the 70's than I have. You may very well be one I have no idea, but it's pretty much irrelevant anyway. It's perfectly fine to have very high standards for the program. Applying those standards to this particular team is fairly pointless. I could have saved you the time early on by guaranteeing this team was not going to win 25 and be a #1 seed. There's really ZERO reason to follow along.

Unless of course it's simply to ***** about how they don't live up to Wisconsin standards and throw cold water on any one who is interested in watching if/how these players and this team develops. And is occasionally pleased at some progress. Which doesn't matter of course, because they'll never meet Wisco standards this year.

I sat, as a youth at Dane County Coliseum watching the old WCHA when Michigan was in it. I was at the 1977 NC game between our schools at Detroit's Olympia. I could be considered an "old-timer" too. We lost ALOT, but at least it was entertaining, like this weekend was.

Comment

Wisco, I understand the team isn't relying on the trap anymore which makes them more entertaining to watch but the fact remains losing is not fun. They are 3-6-5 which is hardly impressive and now they've lost yet another recruit.

How long do you personally feel this can continue before you want to see changes to the coaching staff? Honest question.

They may get 10 to 14 wins this season, it's certainly possible given 4 of 6 b10 schools are struggling. But again, 10 wins, 14 or even 16 wins: not impressive. I want winners. It should go without saying. 20 wins and north of that 3 out of every 4 years. Ncaa appearances 3 of every 4 years minimum. That's not an impossible standard. Get to the ff with relative consistency. How about 3-5 ff's per decade?

Anyway I belabor the point here I understand that but it sucks that we now have a standard of "it was fun to watch". Yeah so was air Coryell with the Chargers in the 80's but they didn't win squat and thus no-one cares today how fun it was to watch a team score 30 and lose
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

If you believe it is pointless to apply a standard of excellence that has always been demanded at all things at the University of Wisconsin, then it is you sir, that I believe is in error. That should never get old, and when you settle for less, you get what we have seen in the last couple of years. Satisfaction with this mediocre program is a malaise I find unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              They can't close yet, but scoring 4 goals is a good sign.
                              Actually, I'm rather disheartened with them allowing 6 goals a game the last 3. That's a bad trend after really doing a nice job on the sue and game 1 of DU. That's a turn that I was not expecting.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Wisco, I understand the team isn't relying on the trap anymore which makes them more entertaining to watch but the fact remains losing is not fun. They are 3-6-5 which is hardly impressive and now they've lost yet another recruit.

How long do you personally feel this can continue before you want to see changes to the coaching staff? Honest question.

They may get 10 to 14 wins this season, it's certainly possible given 4 of 6 b10 schools are struggling. But again, 10 wins, 14 or even 16 wins: not impressive. I want winners. It should go without saying. 20 wins and north of that 3 out of every 4 years. Ncaa appearances 3 of every 4 years minimum. That's not an impossible standard. Get to the ff with relative consistency. How about 3-5 ff's per decade?

Anyway I belabor the point here I understand that but it sucks that we now have a standard of "it was fun to watch". Yeah so was air Coryell with the Chargers in the 80's but they didn't win squat and thus no-one cares today how fun it was to watch a team score 30 and lose
                                Teams tend to lose recruits when they ax the guys that recruited them. It's just a fact of life.

I was fine with Barry axing Eaves last summer and said so several times. I thought there was little to no chance of it actually happening. I earlier put his retention chances as all but a sure thing at 16 or more wins this year and he's all but done at 10. That's what I think about it. I'd bet it's accurate. But I have zero control over it. If I'm Barry today, I support Eaves and the program until April. That's not that hard to figure out.

Whether or not I like these kids has nothing to do with whether Eaves was retained last summer. My Delorean is in the shop. I can't go back and change it. I want them to win, and if there are any encouraging signs toward that goal, I'm pleased with them. (I would have used Lynn Dickey's Packers with Lofton, JJ, and Coffman as a fun to watch example!) So if you have those things you mentioned as standards, you can't root for this team, (because there's little chance they are meeting them) and anyone who does is a fool? That's maybe overstated, but it's basically where I have the disconnect. Coach X wasn't going to walk in and instantly make these guys a top 5 team. But we could watch them I guess and then it would be ok to be be happy if there are any improvements week to week? It makes no sense to me. Same boys on the ice either way for the most part.

I don't know... maybe the same people would still ***** that they weren't suddenly 12-2.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X