This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Interesting article on The B1G proposing that the NCAA lower the age restriction to 20 for freshman.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ion_raises.php
    Walt Kyle is spot on. What's the real reason whiny mike and Lucia have a I problem with the age of freshman suddenly?

Likely because of recent on-ice results and recruiting whiffs, period.

It's a scummy way to treat the rest of the college hockey world and it reeks of arrogance.
    I really hope that dominant conference known as the big ten loses on this effort.

To be honest I'm tired of the b10 in hockey already. Bring back the wcha of old, fire eaves and Alvarez, hire Granato and drop the puck!
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      I hope you aren't talking about me as I am in your camp.

But honestly, I don't see anything happening to MM and assume he will get an extension in May....
      No, poorly worded. I was referring to the comments I saw on Facebook and the articles, radio, etc. where everybody was saying Wisconsin hockey is set up for a big run through the big ten because we're playing so well now. I'll get optimistic when we sweep a good team at home, not take 1 point.

I don't want to see new fans pulled into badger hockey right now by the PR machine, when the product is not even close to be fixed or what it used to be.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXIV: A Season without Chuck

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
        No, poorly worded. I was referring to the comments I saw on Facebook and the articles, radio, etc. where everybody was saying Wisconsin hockey is set up for a big run through the big ten because we're playing so well now. I'll get optimistic when we sweep a good team at home, not take 1 point.
        Agreed. Saturday's matchup looked way different from Friday's.

I don't want to see new fans pulled into badger hockey right now by the PR machine, when the product is not even close to be fixed or what it used to be.
        I disagree with this, though (unless you mean you wish the team were much better right now so the new fans would see something closer to Wisconsin hockey as we know it). Want to know how to multiply the difficulty of fixing the product? Let even more potential new fans slip by for another year or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
          Agreed. Saturday's matchup looked way different from Friday's.

I disagree with this, though (unless you mean you wish the team were much better right now so the new fans would see something closer to Wisconsin hockey as we know it). Want to know how to multiply the difficulty of fixing the product? Let even more potential new fans slip by for another year or more.
          The product on the ice needs to be fixed first is what i'm saying. You could lose a potential new fan for life if they come and see the team get pounded in a lifeless building. We all became fans in the glory days of badger hockey, not four win seasons. Marketing a bad product will get you one buy, but not repeat buyers.

Comment

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/1...x?path=general

Well, I guess I can get serious about buying some tickets. Think they have done this in the past. Of course last year I got tickets to the Friday night Tech game and it was easily the worst Badger hockey game I've been to.

Anyway, I'm curious enough about the product to roll the dice yet again. Yeah, they are doing better than last year, but that bar is so low it's not saying a ton. I also agree with others that saying this weekend really shouldn't be seen as a success. They blew a 3-1 lead on Friday and then got smoked on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
              The product on the ice needs to be fixed first is what i'm saying. You could lose a potential new fan for life if they come and see the team get pounded in a lifeless building. We all became fans in the glory days of badger hockey, not four win seasons. Marketing a bad product will get you one buy, but not repeat buyers.
              I'm going to have to disagree with most of that. First of all, those two things don't have to happen one at a time. Second, the damage done by keeping Wisconsin hockey out of sight and mind is much greater than the diminished returns from a newbie seeing something less than elite.

Also, I became a fan in 2011, and I have plenty of friends who have been going to every game starting at or after that time. A large chunk of our time watching UW hockey has been during this turmoil.

Marketing a sports team is a much different, and much more abstract, situation than marketing some kind of food. It's the reason why people usually find more enjoyment rooting for one team through the ups and downs, rather than just watching whichever team is ranked number 1 each week. The "product" is the experience of being a fan. That's everything from the actual plays being made on the ice to discussions had with fellow fans during the week. I once saw someone try to argue that sports fandom is an absurd case of brand loyalty, as if rooting for a bad team is the same thing as continuing to buy faulty parts for your car. The reason why almost every sports fan will disagree with that is the same reason that this isn't approached in the same way.

Casual fans (the ones for whom this stuff makes the difference*) aren't going to come to a game and decide they had a bad time because of all the stuff has been discussed on this board for the past few years. They're going to see a hockey game. Would the games this season be ideal? No, but it's what we have to work with. If someone was at Saturday's game, they would've seen some good D-I hockey, and would've been slightly disappointed that the Badgers couldn't come back to win. There is virtually no chance that that will diminish their willingness to buy a ticket to a game a couple of years from now. Brand awareness and recognition are important things in all of marketing, and they're extra important when it comes to cultivating a sports team's fan base...because they have to follow the team. In fact, those people will be more likely to buy tickets in the future if they go to a game in this weird year than if UW hockey remains a fringe thing in their peripheral vision when they log on to UWBadgers.com. People who aren't watching the team right now aren't watching because it's not a "thing" in their mind - they're not interested. They're not waiting around saying, "hmmm, maybe I'll try this Badger Hockey thing, but only when the time is right."

*Also the ones who make the difference between a big-time college sport and being some kind of "extra."

As far as seeing the team get pounded in a lifeless building is concerned -

I can't speak for how lively the building is, because I know it sucks compared to what it should be, but from the middle of the student section, the difference is much less striking. However, is it going to be more or less lively if more people give it a shot? More lively.

Thankfully, the team hasn't been really pounded at home this year. Even on Saturday, the Badgers showed some life to make it 4-2 for quite a while. What was happening on the ice was a far cry from that disaster versus Michigan last year (the one where Michigan got a 3 goal lead about 6 minutes in). There were enough exciting plays in there that it wasn't going to make people think "wow, college hockey is boring."

I know I've mentioned it before, but I feel like I cannot stress enough that they need to treat the program like they're completely building it. That's not to say they should ignore the team's history, of course - that's a big selling point. I mean it in terms of getting people who are barely aware of what college hockey is and what Wisconsin Badgers hockey to be aware.

I wish I had a better grasp of how exactly men's hockey was viewed on campus during those blocks of time, but I know that the casual sports fans on campus only a few years ahead of me have a radically different view of Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey than do the students on campus now. People were, for the most part, 100% unaware that the team was among the best in the country in 2013-14. They had no idea that they were supposed to be one of the best coming in, and they had no idea that maybe, just maybe, that home series vs. Minnesota should've been appointment TV if they couldn't get tickets. I wonder how many students watched the NCAA tournament game vs UND. I would guess the number could be described as "low." I know of plenty of NHL fans who, while into the sport, are at the very best loosely aware of what's going on with the Badgers. They certainly aren't actively following the team and participating as fans. (By "participating," I'm including the broadest methods of following a sports team - regularly reading about what happens, tuning in to games sometimes, and feeling more than the minimum emotional response to things that happen in games.)

The more time spent with that being the case, the deeper into the hole of minimal relevance the program will fall.

I hope that made sense. I didn't re-read it because I didn't sleep very much and it's late, but if there's one thing I can rattle off paragraphs about, it's Wisconsin Badgers hockey brand equity.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/1...x?path=general

Well, I guess I can get serious about buying some tickets. Think they have done this in the past. Of course last year I got tickets to the Friday night Tech game and it was easily the worst Badger hockey game I've been to.

Anyway, I'm curious enough about the product to roll the dice yet again. Yeah, they are doing better than last year, but that bar is so low it's not saying a ton. I also agree with others that saying this weekend really shouldn't be seen as a success. They blew a 3-1 lead on Friday and then got smoked on Saturday.
                And the season ticket holders get - absolutely nothing, except an offer to "enhance our experience." why buy season tickets when you can get deals like this?
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  And the season ticket holders get - absolutely nothing, except an offer to "enhance our experience." why buy season tickets when you can get deals like this?
                  The "special experiences" marketing was really something. I was kind of excited to open the email. Didn't last when I saw deals like $50 to meet Bucky, $50 to ride the Zamboni, $50 to watch warmups.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    If you don't see the return on your investment then don't buy them.

Being a season ticket holder right now does a few things for you:
                    1 - guaranteed seat location
                    2 - most likely you make a donation to the development fund, which brings other perks with it (Bucky's Locker Room discounts, priority points for post-season events, etc)
                    3 - you get a discount off of the face-value of the ticket
                    4 - the "legacy factor" of being able to say "I've been a season ticket holder for XXX years"

What more do you want?

Right now it probably doesn't make sense for most people to buy season tickets, especially if you are going to miss a few games during the year. If you can't look at the benefits listed above and say "Yup, that makes sense to me", then don't renew your tickets, but them for which games you want, and move on with your life. You don't need to be grumpy about it.

As a season ticket holder myself, I am thrilled to see them making attempts to get more people to the game. I really couldn't care less about how much the other people pay, or what extra perks they get when they buy their tickets. I made the choice to buy my tickets in advance, other people are making the choice to buy tickets now; neither group of people should hold a grudge against the other group.

Find the system that works for you and run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                      The "special experiences" marketing was really something. I was kind of excited to open the email. Didn't last when I saw deals like $50 to meet Bucky, $50 to ride the Zamboni, $50 to watch warmups.
                      So they give you $25 for a $50 special experience. So it still costs additional money.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

2 - most likely you make a donation to the development fund, which brings other perks with it (Bucky's Locker Room discounts, priority points for post-season events, etc)
                        4 - the "legacy factor" of being able to say "I've been a season ticket holder for XXX years"

What more do you want?

Right now it probably doesn't make sense for most people to buy season tickets, especially if you are going to miss a few games during the year. If you can't look at the benefits listed above and say "Yup, that makes sense to me", then don't renew your tickets, but them for which games you want, and move on with your life. You don't need to be grumpy about it.

As a season ticket holder myself, I am thrilled to see them making attempts to get more people to the game. I really couldn't care less about how much the other people pay, or what extra perks they get when they buy their tickets. I made the choice to buy my tickets in advance, other people are making the choice to buy tickets now; neither group of people should hold a grudge against the other group.

How about a system that doesn't result in 3000 fans in the aeats for the home opener?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

What more do you want?

#1. is the only one I care about and why I kept my Saturday tickets one more year (I already gave up my friday seats and didn't donate to the badger fund this year).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                            How about a system that doesn't result in 3000 fans in the aeats for the home opener?
                            Do you really think that the formatting of the ticket packages is what resulted in the low attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                              I really couldn't care less about how much the other people pay, or what extra perks they get when they buy their tickets. I made the choice to buy my tickets in advance
                              When I posted the link to MI ST $10 and $15 tickets, I just knew if they did something similar here there would be complaints. Which is silly IMO. Seems to me that if I pay $1000 for a TV and in 3 months there's ten million TV's available so they cut the price to $500, I seldom get a $500 refund.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                When I posted the link to MI ST $10 and $15 tickets, I just knew if they did something similar here there would be complaints. Which is silly IMO. Seems to me that if I pay $1000 for a TV and in 3 months there's ten million TV's available so they cut the price to $500, I seldom get a $500 refund.
                                That is hardly a fair comparison. But if we use your hypothetical and you consider it is within a time frame of a month and it goes on discount the seller generally credits you the difference (ie the $1,000 TV goes to $750 the next week or two, best buy will credit the $250 to you within a certain period of time).

Comment

Working...
                                X