• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2015-16: The next step

Well...that was easy!.

Comment

Just curious: Geof, Statman, or any other poster who has gotten to watch a lot of the games this year, I wanted to get your estimates on TOI for some of the boys. I'm interested in how many minutes you think McHugh, Saulnier, and Brears get a game? 20 minutes or more a night? Then next maybe Fletcher? With his face-off and defensive acumen I figured he'd be next in line.

On D, would you say Misuraca and Buri get the most? Close to 30 a game? Parker, I'd guess, would also get a lot of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post
        Just curious: Geof, Statman, or any other poster who has gotten to watch a lot of the games this year, I wanted to get your estimates on TOI for some of the boys. I'm interested in how many minutes you think McHugh, Saulnier, and Brears get a game? 20 minutes or more a night? Then next maybe Fletcher? With his face-off and defensive acumen I figured he'd be next in line.

On D, would you say Misuraca and Buri get the most? Close to 30 a game? Parker, I'd guess, would also get a lot of minutes.
        I don't pay a ton of attention to it, which is to my detriment. If I had more time, I'd rematch games and try to pick that up.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by GetOutDaKitchin View Post

I couldn't tell you, but those sound about right. The team does keep track of TOI (I noticed it when I visited for the UAA series in October), but it's not public.
          Michael Napier - UAH '97
          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
            I couldn't tell you, but those sound about right. The team does keep track of TOI (I noticed it when I visited for the UAA series in October), but it's not public.
            Is this a difficult stat to track? (And I'm legitimately curious on this, not asking rhetorically or sarcastically) I don't see it made public anywhere for any college team, but it would be interesting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
              Is this a difficult stat to track? (And I'm legitimately curious on this, not asking rhetorically or sarcastically) I don't see it made public anywhere for any college team, but it would be interesting to see.
              I would think manually would be a pain, but they were using this program on a tablet where you tap players on grid when they go on or off the ice. You're also tapping a button to start and stop a timer so that you sync it with the game clock. The program then calculates how long each player has been on the ice in real time.
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Because the NCAA doesn't require it, not everyone does it, and as I understand it, the software packages that are industry standards (the TAS family) for college athletics don't have the package as a default for them. Michael has it right in how they do it. It does require human resources to do it, the same as shot charts or +/-, but the toolset is tougher.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

I've gotta admit that I'm going into Friday night with equal parts anticipation and dread. Which UAH team is this, really? Is it the team that started 3-2-1, or is it the team that's run 0-6-0?

Well, let's look at it:
                  Home split with Connecticut: currently 53rd in CHN's KRACH at 21.1 (UAH is 51st at 23.5)
                  Home loss and tie to Anchorage: 30th at 98.3 (essentially NCAA average)
                  Road sweep at Lake Superior: 48th at 31.4

Home swept by Tech: 22nd at 149.9
                  Road swept at BG: 26th at 128.8
                  Home swept by Bemidji: 41st at 51.8

While it's a little reductive to say that we've had success against the teams that are roughly on our level (per KRACH) and, well, nada against teams above us, the thing is this: is Bemidji really that much better than UAH? They came into town without a defined #1 goalie, weren't scoring outside of Gerry Fitzgerald, and are still struggling with the loss of their three top D. And the team that started out scoring 3.0 G/GM —*remember, last year's team was 1.63 G/GM, and 2013-14 was 1.08 — scored two goals on Bemidji.

Then there's the fact that Carmine isn't at the level he was last year and Matty Larose has rounded into a solid 1B, shedding nearly 1.5 GAA in this his junior season.

After starting off a disciplined team (less Saulnier, who's pretty much still good for one head-shaker a game), the penalties are piling up. UAH has been near the top of PIM/GM for their entire time in D-I, and we're earning that reputation again this season (14.1 PIM/GM, 11th nationally). It's come lately, too: 27, 23, 10, 33, 4, and 8 in their last six games.

So what team shows up this weekend? Is it the team that plays within itself, trusts the system and the people in it, and tries to play smart hockey? Or is it the team that lacks discipline and can't maintain possession? SOG against are down from 41.1 a game (!!!) two years ago and 37.6 last year (!!!) to just 28.9 this year, and the margin is just 4.4 a game. But again, UAH has been outshot 40-18, 30-18, 28-18, 24-20, and 26-17 in five of their last six games (out-shooting BG 36-28 in the second contest).

I think that they need smart hockey, short passes, good pressure, and being willing to take the shot when it's even sorta there.

This team is too good to be 3-8-1. Are they as good as they were in those first six games? Maybe not. Are they as bad as they have been in the last six? I don't think so. As I harp on those six games, it's important to note that the second Tech game and both BG games were one-goal losses, including an OT on Friday night in Ohio.

But the results just aren't there, and my enthusiasm after that emphatic effort in the Soo has really waned.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Wanna turn that into a Friday morning column on the .com?

I didn't worry too much about the Tech and BG losses because we've still got a bit to go before we catch up with them talent-wise (they are my and your picks to win the league, after all), and I didn't think UAH played necessarily bad (if not necessarily well) to hang with those clubs.

The Bemidji series was just a disaster all around and its still fresh in our minds. I'm hoping it serves as a wake-up call, and I think the team also knows its too good to be 3-8-1.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

I didn't worry too much about the Tech and BG losses because we've still got a bit to go before we catch up with them talent-wise (they are my and your picks to win the league, after all), and I didn't think UAH played necessarily bad (if not necessarily well) to hang with those clubs.

The Bemidji series was just a disaster all around and its still fresh in our minds. I'm hoping it serves as a wake-up call, and I think the team also knows its too good to be 3-8-1.
                      If UAH wins one or both of those games — let's say both! — they're 4-7-1 or 5-6-1. 5-6-1 in our first twelve? Yes.

I should be really slow on console tonight, so I can c&p and use that as the basis.

GFM

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

You'll see it at 0830! [TOO LAZY TO EMAIL]

gfm
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Better effort tonight hopefully they can continue that tomorrow night. Tough loss guess that happens when you turnover the puck on the pp.

Comment

I have few words for that. Good effort? Yes. Poor puck decisions at the back end? Once is a mistake, twice is worrisome, but giving up three goals on them ... COME ON. It wasn't just the kids doing it, either.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I wore a tie on Thursday. Coincidence? Probably, but it beats a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratus View Post
                                I wore a tie on Thursday. Coincidence? Probably, but it beats a loss.
                                Yes, but they were very fortunate just to get the tie. NMU dominated the second half of the game, partially because UAH continued to needlessly turn the puck over. Fortunately, Carmine Guerriero was March 2015 Carmine Guerriero last night.
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X