UCONN 2015-2016: The Hockey East Journey Continues..the Future Looks Bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Honestly, crowing about attendance is about as lame as it gets. At least the UNH fans actually had something on the ice that was accomplished when they raised all those banners at the Whitt.
    Thanks? I think?
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Re: UCONN 2015-2016: The Hockey East Journey Continues..the Future Looks Bright

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      So to clarify. UConn promised as a part of the agreement when joining hockey east they would build an on campus arena. UConn has stopped (?) planning to build an on campus arena because they're happy with their attendance at one of their off campus sites, but the other ones they continue to schedule even with the poor attendance.

Personally, besides the breach in contract i could care less where UConn plays their home games. That said, I'm skeptical that playing at XL is sustainable, if the team continues it's poor on ice product (not saying they will, though i find it laughable to think UConn believes it can play like this in the first half and get hot ala BC in the second half) attendance will dip. On campus arenas stabilize attendance because all that need be done at a school as large as UConn is open up more seats to students.

In the end, you are going back on your word, which is indefensible at least to many on this board. In light of UConn trying to get into a better conference for all sports, pulling this stuff is probably not sending the best message
      to me, this is what it comes down to... atmosphere is harder in a place like that and its far away from campus... at UConn all I had to do was walk up from grad dorms (the first couple of yrs before I moved off campus). 10 minute walk.

If I were there now... I'd have to walk to the parking lot where my car is (5 minutes), drive down to hartford in the evening (30-50 minutes), and park up ($$$).

It really comes down to how much you like taking the atheltic department funded buses.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: UCONN 2015-2016: The Hockey East Journey Continues..the Future Looks Bright

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
        So to clarify. UConn promised as a part of the agreement when joining hockey east they would build an on campus arena. UConn has stopped (?) planning to build an on campus arena because they're happy with their attendance at one of their off campus sites, but the other ones they continue to schedule even with the poor attendance.
        Looking at my season tix now. All home games are at the XL Center this year. Not sure why some were scheduled in Bridgeport or Taft School last year. Difficulty in getting dates? A marketing tactic? A payoff to someone in the Legislature for their UConn vote? I have no clue. I would be interested in hearing theories from someone with data.

None of us on this board know exactly what covenants were entered into by UConn and HE. We have heard the widely reported summaries, but no more really. Every school is sympathetic to financial and political pressures and realities of the other schools. Further, we do not have any idea what marketing data UConn may have in its pocket regarding the effect of moving to Storrs. So, I wouldn't over-react and get all holier than thou just yet. And, btw, I have heard that the financing is not the problem.

Meanwhile, have you been to a game at the XL? Other than a lack of paint in the parking garage stairwells, the place is in fine shape. And the options for food and drink are truly exceptional for a college venue. Add to that the restaurants in the neighborhood and the easy access from I-84, I think it is a great facility.
        Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          to me, this is what it comes down to... atmosphere is harder in a place like that and its far away from campus... at UConn all I had to do was walk up from grad dorms (the first couple of yrs before I moved off campus). 10 minute walk.

If I were there now... I'd have to walk to the parking lot where my car is (5 minutes), drive down to hartford in the evening (30-50 minutes), and park up ($$$).

It really comes down to how much you like taking the atheltic department funded buses.
          Ahh, yes, I so long for that wonderful quaint atmosphere of Freitas ... NOT. The place was utterly devoid of atmosphere. The place that had atmosphere was the long gone warming hut with its fireplace and clam chowder.

If you want to drive to Storrs and park in the future you will pay what you would pay in Hartford now. No difference. Hockey spectators got a free ride back in the day. You drove up, told the people collecting the parking fees that you were going to hockey not BB, and you got a free pass. No more if they build a new barn.

Comment

From what I've heard recently the plan has shifted from building a new on campus facility to renovating Freitas but continuing to play all Hockey East games in Hartford at the XL Center. The renovation would be geared towards a nicer practice facility, satisfying the Hockey East officials and whatever agreement was made when joining Hockey East, and potentially playing the occasional non-conference game.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi08 View Post
              From what I've heard recently the plan has shifted from building a new on campus facility to renovating Freitas but continuing to play all Hockey East games in Hartford at the XL Center. The renovation would be geared towards a nicer practice facility, satisfying the Hockey East officials and whatever agreement was made when joining Hockey East, and potentially playing the occasional non-conference game.
              Yeah, I am hearing the same sorts of things. Also the state is talking about spending $250MM on the XL to modernize it (mid level luxury, much wider concourses, increase in seating) which smacks of luring the NHL back. At this point it is all speculation and probably not worth even discussing. But something is definitely up in the long range vision department.
              Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-18-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi08 View Post
                This assumes the HCC will work... if it does... fine and move on.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                  Also the state is talking about spending $250MM on the XL to modernize it (mid level luxury, much wider concourses, increase in seating) which smacks of luring the NHL back.
                  Wait a state that has huge financial issues and only more heading down the pike is going to give a quarter of a billion to renovate an arena for an AHL team and an athletic program that is going to have to make some huge financial decisions within the next 5-10 years?

there's only so long you can pay a men's bball coach ($3 MM), a women's bball coach ($2 MM) & a football coach (~$2 MM) when one of your top sources of revenue (TV) is bringing in $2 MM

any commenter who thinks the nhl is coming back should hang up their keyboard. any politician that thinks so should give back their bloated pension.

Comment

Meanwhile, have you been to a game at the XL? Other than a lack of paint in the parking garage stairwells, the place is in fine shape. And the options for food and drink are truly exceptional for a college venue. Add to that the restaurants in the neighborhood and the easy access from I-84, I think it is a great facility.
                    If you think XL is in fine shape, I don't know what to tell you. The place is a dump and its concessions only surpass that of Merrimack and UVM.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      any commenter who thinks the nhl is coming back should hang up their keyboard.
                      I really had to hold myself back from commenting on that part.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        If you think XL is in fine shape, I don't know what to tell you. The place is a dump and its concessions only surpass that of Merrimack and UVM.
                        Interesting. You are saying that every venue in HE has craft beers, wine, mixed drinks, carver stations, traditional stadium fare, and club seating ... all on campus? Guess I need to get out more. Btw, build a campus venue and most of that goes away, certainly anything with alcohol.

Hey, the Guv is a hockey guy. You say it is silly but I will bet he is gonna try. Why else would the state consider $250MM?
                        Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM.

Comment

IWhey else would the state consider $250MM?
                          lol, the state doesn't have $250 M. And while some HE arenas have the alcohol (BU/Lowell), you just noted carving stations and club seating as the non-alcoholic amenities. Nearly all HE arenas have this, or some form of specialty food in place of a "carving station." There are so many things wrong with the XL Center, it's not funny.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                            Interesting. You are saying that every venue in HE has craft beers, wine, mixed drinks, carver stations, traditional stadium fare, and club seating ... all on campus? Guess I need to get out more. Btw, build a campus venue and most of that goes away, certainly anything with alcohol.
                            Lowell and BU (not sure about wine for BU but i don't go to college hockey games to drink) have everything mentioned above. Question who pockets the concessions money? Parking? Is your program currently breaking even, or relying on the state and athletic department (WBB and MBB I suspect). A lot of the reasons why college hockey is one of three NCAA sports that can at least sustain itself is because of that kind of revenue.

I don't know the answer to that question, maybe you guys can help?
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

If last night's crowd was typical of a UConn hockey game at the XL, you can have it. There was zero college hockey feel for the home team. And the Wolfpack logo at center ice did nothing to help. I think it's important for a D-I team to have an identity. Fervent student support goes a long way as well.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                              Northeast Regional:
                              West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                                If last night's crowd was typical of a UConn hockey game at the XL, you can have it. There was zero college hockey feel for the home team. And the Wolfpack logo at center ice did nothing to help. I think it's important for a D-I team to have an identity. Fervent student support goes a long way as well.
                                It was typical ... for any team that had lost eight in a row. Let them get hot and it will be different. There were plenty of Huskies logos on the ice. Did not realize that the placement of logos had such a powerful effect on some people.

Comment

Working...
                                X