Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA and Cost of Attendance

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Actually, the article that broke the news clearly states he played for BG for 4 years:
    http://www.adn.com/article/20150617/...eawolves-staff
    This was the only announcement that I saw. Someone from BG posted the link.
    http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=13400

Admittedly, I didn't search much beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Possibly the worst analogy ever. No kid has to choose college, no kid has to play hockey, and no kid has to choose to play hockey in college. Oh no, come to our school and get an education. If you're smart and or determined you'll learn something. If you're good enough to last play the sport you love. When you leave it could be for the NHL, It could be with a degree, and you'll most likely have a network of contacts to get your foot in the door you otherwise wouldn't have if you were Joe Blow student.
      And to remind uaafanblog... slandering somebody with the truth is not slander no matter how wound up you are.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Possibly the worst analogy ever. No kid has to choose college, no kid has to play hockey, and no kid has to choose to play hockey in college. Oh no, come to our school and get an education. If you're smart and or determined you'll learn something. If you're good enough to last play the sport you love. When you leave it could be for the NHL, It could be with a degree, and you'll most likely have a network of contacts to get your foot in the door you otherwise wouldn't have if you were Joe Blow student.
        There is no other game in town for many sports by which a talented athlete may develop his skills and reach his goal of playing professionally. When the NCAA monopoly is the defacto minor league system (were talking football and basketball) such athletes don't have another choice. Sure, there are some basketball opportunities overseas opening up, but an 18 year old accessing these opportunities is problematic. So yeah, the thirsty guy that wants water doesn't have to take it from the rapist/murderer. But the risk profile in not doing so is pretty broad. Luckily for athletes in our sport, the NCAA isn't the only game in town.

It's hilarious to me that historically there's a pretty major dislike on this board for anything to do with the NCAA. And yet here on this subject there are multiple people bending over backward to excuse the monopoly that the NCAA has on athletes. Makes me wonder why. I guess when hockey fans are a-ok with a team using a ridiculously racist nickname like "Fighting Sioux" they are also blind to the racism inherent in the NCAA's monopoly.

Comment

What is with your rapist/murderer bleating? Are you implying that all NCAA coaches raped and/or murdered someone during their playing days? If so, pretty smeary.

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          BullThe NCAA has long taken advantage of essentially "slave labor" conditions on a wide range of athletes. It's been shameful and it's time it is beginning to end.
          Yeah, it's "slave labor" to play D1 football/basketball/baseball/hockey, nevermind the (quarter/half/full) scholarship and all of the perks that come with being BMOC.

Could you be a bigger nitwit? Great job cheapening actual slavery that still occurs in this world.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-18-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X