Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should College Hockey Should Adopt 3-on-3 OT

Frigging circus sideshows aren't hockey. In the regular season a 5 minute overtime between two TEAMS (5 on 5) is fine. No winner after OT and put it in the books as a tie. If you're concerned about breaking ties in the standings then have a circus shootout BEFORE EVERY GAME. That way the insipid mob who don't know what the game is really about can get their jollies regardless of the result. At the end of the season use the pregame shootout results to break ties in the standings.

The NCHC is for rubes. What a crap league with idiots in charge.

EDIT: Also, the NCAA is categorically NOT a development league for the friggin NHL; right now there's 305 players from the NCAA in the NHL for 31 percent. If you average that over 10 years then you're talking about 31 players a year out of about 1550 players in the NCAA. I'd tend to think that 31 player number is a little high ... some of those 305 players have been in the show for more than 10 years but even if I'm being generous 31 sure as heck doesn't make the NCAA a development league.

It's certainly a path where some players will develop into NHL caliber players. But the NCAA is there for the 1520 players who want to continue their education by trading their athletic talent and hard work for an education. That's what college hockey is about.
    Last edited by uaafanblog; 06-27-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I don't have all the rules books, but based on the ones I do have the change happened between 1988 and 1990. In the 1987 rules book it was a 10 minute overtime and in the 1991 rules book it was a 5 minute overtime (and not a new change).
      So much the better; thanks for the additional facts. With that info in hand, my guess would be the change came in 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        Also, the NCAA is categorically NOT a development league for the friggin NHL; right now there's 305 players from the NCAA in the NHL for 31 percent. If you average that over 10 years then you're talking about 31 players a year out of about 1550 players in the NCAA.
        Dude, if you're going to rant, make sure you at least get your math right.

1550 players in the NCAA, sure, but that includes four classes worth of student-athletes. Whereas your 31 players number is per one year. So of those 1550 players, 124 can be expected to make it to the NHL (assuming your 31 players a year number is correct), not 31.

Now, yes, the 31 players a year number is probably generous, and we also have to consider that not all NCAA players (especially the future NHLers) play four years. But I think my numbers are closer than yours.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Just because UAA can barely develop a player to save their lives, doesn't mean other schools have the same problem.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

3-on-3 > shootout, if that is the only option.

Problem with 10 min OT is ice gets pretty hacked so the thought that re-surfacing is needed. That makes the game too long for some, like TV. I would like to see 8 min with no re-surface, just a break for some shortskirted co-eds to clear the ice from around the boards. Even after 8, call it a tie. Bad ice could be an issue in game once in awhile, but better than full break. I don't like getting rid of OT all together, as it is very exciting and is still real hockey, has been around a long time and will never happen. Here is how I see it.

So: Shootout (with any combo) < no OT < 3 v. 3 < 4v4 < 5 min OT < 10 min OT < 8 min OT

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              Just because UAA can barely develop a player to save their lives, doesn't mean other schools have the same problem.
              Don't be mad on such a wonderful day for UND.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Dude, if you're going to rant, make sure you at least get your math right.

1550 players in the NCAA, sure, but that includes four classes worth of student-athletes. Whereas your 31 players number is per one year. So of those 1550 players, 124 can be expected to make it to the NHL (assuming your 31 players a year number is correct), not 31.

Now, yes, the 31 players a year number is probably generous, and we also have to consider that not all NCAA players (especially the future NHLers) play four years. But I think my numbers are closer than yours.

Powers &8^]
                Cos every college hockey player that goes to the NHL in any given year played for four years? Get your logic right before criticizing my math ... dude. Freshman leave for the NHL, sophomores leave for the NHL, juniors leave for the NHL, seniors leave for the NHL.

Comment

Cos every college hockey player that goes to the NHL in any given year played for four years? Get your logic right before criticizing my math ... dude. Freshman leave for the NHL, sophomores leave for the NHL, juniors leave for the NHL, seniors leave for the NHL.
                  Want critique on math: How did a percentage suddenly become a flat number?

Comment

Try reading my final paragraph again.

Powers &8^]

Comment

What do you guys think the conversations were like when the game went from 6x6 to 5x5 as the standard format during regulation play all those years ago? I'd have to think the conversations would've sounded something like what we've read in a few posts here.

Players get bigger and faster as the population gets bigger and the technology for training athletes better. The game adapts. This one seems like a pretty big change, but the players are pretty big and fast these days, well, except for Jimmy Murray; he's still short.

I don't like how they're implementing the change in the NHL, but I can't say that I'm entirely against it because we've yet to witness it. If this proves to be a change to the rules that the NCAA needs to make, that change should extend to both the regular season and post season play.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I don't like how they're implementing the change in the NHL, but I can't say that I'm entirely against it because we've yet to witness it. If this proves to be a change to the rules that the NCAA needs to make, that change should extend to both the regular season and post season play.
                        3 on 3 will never be adopted by the NCAA, for regular season or post season. The coaches have far too much input in the rule making. 3 on 3 takes most of the coaching away and relies almost entirely on the skill or creativity of the skaters. If their is one thing coaches hate, it is relinquishing power. It is one of the reason they hate the shootout. Other than picking the shooters, which a blind monkey should be able to do fairly well, there is zero coaching in a shootout. NCAA basketball coaches are not thrilled about not being able to call timeouts from the sidelines anymore because it took a tiny amount of control out of their hands and put it in the hands of *GASP* players!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          3 on 3 will never be adopted by the NCAA, for regular season or post season. The coaches have far too much input in the rule making. 3 on 3 takes most of the coaching away and relies almost entirely on the skill or creativity of the skaters. If their is one thing coaches hate, it is relinquishing power. It is one of the reason they hate the shootout. Other than picking the shooters, which a blind monkey should be able to do fairly well, there is zero coaching in a shootout. NCAA basketball coaches are not thrilled about not being able to call timeouts from the sidelines anymore because it took a tiny amount of control out of their hands and put it in the hands of *GASP* players!
                          But by that logic, wouldn't the coaches rather have SOME coaching opportunities with 3 on 3 and hopefully avoid shootouts more often, which have no coaching involved?
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                            But by that logic, wouldn't the coaches rather have SOME coaching opportunities with 3 on 3 and hopefully avoid shootouts more often, which have no coaching involved?
                            I actually think that the coaching involved in 3 on 3 is negligible too. Also, the shootouts we have in the NCAA are mostly window dressing. Not used in any post-season play (conference or NCAA tournament) and not considered at all when determining the field. So getting reluctant coaches on board for it was a little easier. I haven't crunched all the numbers over the last 7 seasons (since the CCHA brought the shootout back to the NCAA) but has it had much of an impact on the individual standings in the CCHA, NCHC or the B1G? In the one season I did look at (08-09 of the CCHA) there would have been no significant difference in the standings had all games still tied after 65 minutes ended without a SO. Notre Dame still would have been first, BG still would have been last, and all the teams that got a bye would have still had the weekend off. I have yet to read a quote from an NCAA coach who was in favor of the shootout, but I've seen numerous quotes from ones who hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by satking View Post
                              Anything.........I do like 4X4 for 5 then 3X3 for the next 5 then its a tie
                              I like this as well. The players would love it. More open ice and a chance to demonstrate their skill. Some coaches don't like it because they feel the more skilled team has the advantage. Well, if they were much more skilled they would have won the game in regulation.

Comment

Working...
                              X