This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

I haven't seen this team in person but if we're saying its worse than the Wes Clark led club......good God. It's over.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      I haven't seen this team in person but if we're saying its worse than the Wes Clark led club......good God. It's over.
      The 2008 team had some genuine quality on it in Bishop, Ryan, Tyler, Sweetland, Duffy, and Hopson. This year's team doesn't have that but definitely has much better third and fourth lines along with better depth on defense. Looking back on it, 2008 was a very strange year. They had the quality players I mentioned but also had seven or eight guys who had no business playing D1 hockey. I believe the seven game losing streak they went on in February coincided with Ryan and Sweetland getting hurt or they probably would have finished fifth in the league.

Regardless of who the coach is it is going to take a few more years for Maine to be decent again. I don't think coaching has been the issue with either Red or Timmy, it is getting the talent. I like some of the guys Red has lined up the next few years but others obviously see it differently.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

IIRC Bish had a pretty rough first half that year and then stood on his head in February and March and during that stretch they couldnt find the net with a map and compass.

This is worse than I ever envisioned. Its a wreck.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          IIRC Bish had a pretty rough first half that year and then stood on his head in February and March and during that stretch they couldnt find the net with a map and compass.

This is worse than I ever envisioned. Its a wreck.
          It really is bad, I can't tell whats going on except lack of talent. I don't believe thats all of it though.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            It really is bad, I can't tell whats going on except lack of talent. I don't believe thats all of it though.
            It's a 50/50 deal IMO. Lack of talent and coaching/recruiting.

Comment

Agreed, I didn't think the talent was this bad. Vesey should be better. Byron and Brown too. They're not Gus and Shore but they as good as like Billy Ryan was and they're surely better than this.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Agreed, I didn't think the talent was this bad. Vesey should be better. Byron and Brown too. They're not Gus and Shore but they as good as like Billy Ryan was and they're surely better than this.
                In 18 games played Vesey has 2 goals and 2 assists.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                  It's a 50/50 deal IMO. Lack of talent and coaching/recruiting.
                  Maybe some guys are made to be asst coaches and not head coaches?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Agree. Hence my new thread.

Comment

Agreed. Another point I'd add would be the lack of "institutional success" in recent years, between the players AND the coaching staff. It's what I worry about with UNH gradually falling away from the top echelon of HE and D-1 overall. If you're up there and competing at those levels regularly, then your players and coaches know what's involved, and probably have a good idea on how to sustain it, while trying to press further up the competitive pyramid.

Once you get away from those things for a couple of years, then *maybe* you begin to lose track, both on and off (recruiting) the ice. Expectations (perhaps subconsciously?) begin to drop, your program's results drop, and you can't attract the same level of recruits you used to get. It's a vicious cycle. UNH had missed the final four of the HE Tourney for a few years not too long ago, but were eking their way into the NCAA's ... and now, having missed the last two NCAA's, they've had two decent runs in the HE Tourney to get to Boston to keep the program's profile (and momentum?) at least somewhere in the mix. And at least these last two seasons (with a promising start in Year Three this season) they've finished the HE RS pretty strongly. UNH now has to find a way to keep some late season relevancy this season to try to start a march back up the ranks. Coach Umile certainly comes with his flaws, but he's kept his program on the fringes of the mx even in his worst seasons. Frankly, he's surprised me that way, since his UNH mentor wasn't able to pull that trick off himself.

I think one of UMaine's problems now is the program has lost touch with ALL of that. None of the current UMaine players or coaches can point to any point in their current tenures where they've enjoyed success on even a modest level. Turning this around is going to be a huge ask, and will have to be rebuilt from the ground floor. The only guy I can think of who might logically be interested and willing is probably not attainable (Leaman). But if I was at UMaine and wanted to turn the program around in a way that energized the campus and community like the old days, I'd start exploring that possibility now, and be patient that it might take a few years for his window of opportunity/interest to open. BC eventually got around to hiring Coach York, so there is precedent.

Good luck, truly ... no one misses the ferocity and banter of the old UNH-UMaine rivalry than me.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Agreed. Another point I'd add would be the lack of "institutional success" in recent years, between the players AND the coaching staff. It's what I worry about with UNH gradually falling away from the top echelon of HE and D-1 overall. If you're up there and competing at those levels regularly, then your players and coaches know what's involved, and probably have a good idea on how to sustain it, while trying to press further up the competitive pyramid.

Once you get away from those things for a couple of years, then *maybe* you begin to lose track, both on and off (recruiting) the ice. Expectations (perhaps subconsciously?) begin to drop, your program's results drop, and you can't attract the same level of recruits you used to get. It's a vicious cycle. UNH had missed the final four of the HE Tourney for a few years not too long ago, but were eking their way into the NCAA's ... and now, having missed the last two NCAA's, they've had two decent runs in the HE Tourney to get to Boston to keep the program's profile (and momentum?) at least somewhere in the mix. And at least these last two seasons (with a promising start in Year Three this season) they've finished the HE RS pretty strongly. UNH now has to find a way to keep some late season relevancy this season to try to start a march back up the ranks. Coach Umile certainly comes with his flaws, but he's kept his program on the fringes of the mx even in his worst seasons. Frankly, he's surprised me that way, since his UNH mentor wasn't able to pull that trick off himself.

I think one of UMaine's problems now is the program has lost touch with ALL of that. None of the current UMaine players or coaches can point to any point in their current tenures where they've enjoyed success on even a modest level. Turning this around is going to be a huge ask, and will have to be rebuilt from the ground floor. The only guy I can think of who might logically be interested and willing is probably not attainable (Leaman). But if I was at UMaine and wanted to turn the program around in a way that energized the campus and community like the old days, I'd start exploring that possibility now, and be patient that it might take a few years for his window of opportunity/interest to open. BC eventually got around to hiring Coach York, so there is precedent.

Good luck, truly ... no one misses the ferocity and banter of the old UNH-UMaine rivalry than me.
                        Excellent post Chuck. You really hit on a lot of what I've been saying. And we all miss the rivalry. Not just with you guys but with all the old school battles. I don't think I'm a radical by saying a big change has to be made. There is nothing more in this world I love...aside form my children and family members ..than Maine hockey. It's killing me. Ugh!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                          Excellent post Chuck. You really hit on a lot of what I've been saying. And we all miss the rivalry. Not just with you guys but with all the old school battles. I don't think I'm a radical by saying a big change has to be made. There is nothing more in this world I love...aside form my children and family members ..than Maine hockey. It's killing me. Ugh!!!!
                          Your last couple sentence's state pretty much how a lot of Maine Hockey Die-Hards feel about the Program and what Hockey is @ UMaine...hard to believe how much this program has sunk and with no relief in sight...frustrating/maddening...we ALL KNOW that there will never/ever be another Shawn Walsh...but at the same time it doesn't mean this Program has to be bad forever...there is someone out there that could and would take on this monster of a job to try and restore UMaine Hockey...but it's many-many things that have hurt this Program...the last three AD's/recruiting/lack of deep pocket Donors/season ticket holders...and not throwing Mr. Creech under the Bus here but he has NO KNOWLEGDE about the game of Hockey and what it means to the U and the Die-Hards all over Maine and the Alumni through out the US..he is a Basketball/Football person and you just don't turn on the switch and know hockey and see what happens when this Program is running on all cylinders...sadly...just look @ UML/Providence/and to some degree Merrimack...once those three schools brought in Hockey wise administrative people things started to change...UML with Norm Bazin,Providence with Nate Leaman and Merrimack with Dennehey...and all three improved there Arena's...UML turning it into more of a College Hockey venue instead of a AHL building, Providence has remodeled there Building along with Merrimack...positives there for sure...we can ONLY HOPE these days and that stinks to most.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Your last couple sentence's state pretty much how a lot of Maine Hockey Die-Hards feel about the Program and what Hockey is @ UMaine...hard to believe how much this program has sunk and with no relief in sight...frustrating/maddening...we ALL KNOW that there will never/ever be another Shawn Walsh...but at the same time it doesn't mean this Program has to be bad forever...there is someone out there that could and would take on this monster of a job to try and restore UMaine Hockey...but it's many-many things that have hurt this Program...the last three AD's/recruiting/lack of deep pocket Donors/season ticket holders...and not throwing Mr. Creech under the Bus here but he has NO KNOWLEGDE about the game of Hockey and what it means to the U and the Die-Hards all over Maine and the Alumni through out the US..he is a Basketball/Football person and you just don't turn on the switch and know hockey and see what happens when this Program is running on all cylinders...sadly...just look @ UML/Providence/and to some degree Merrimack...once those three schools brought in Hockey wise administrative people things started to change...UML with Norm Bazin,Providence with Nate Leaman and Merrimack with Dennehey...and all three improved there Arena's...UML turning it into more of a College Hockey venue instead of a AHL building, Providence has remodeled there Building along with Merrimack...positives there for sure...we can ONLY HOPE these days and that stinks to most.
                            I know a lot of others feel like I do. And that's a good thing. It's to the point now where something and something very different has to be done...see the definition of insanity!

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              I know a lot of others feel like I do. And that's a good thing. It's to the point now where something and something very different has to be done...see the definition of insanity!
                              Let The "MAINE HOCKEY DIE-HARD's" Brigade move on..!...!!

Comment

"Goaltender commits to UMaine"
                                https://bangordailynews.com/link/goa...its-to-umaine/

Comment

Working...
                                X