X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Who knows is right but, but I bet more or less people would be incline to believe that Montgomery was more of the solution to jump starting and regaining that edge Maine had from years past...nobody will ever fill the shoes of Shawn Walsh, but I would have felt a whole lot better with Montgomery coming in.
    Really?, he certainly isn't exceeding what the former coach did at DU. A program with far more money and one that hadn't dropped at all before Jimmy took it over
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Really?, he certainly isn't exceeding what the former coach did at DU. A program with far more money and one that hadn't dropped at all before Jimmy took it over
      Yes Really...he might be "JUST" 7-7-2 @ Denver right now to date but a whole lot better then 4-9-4(Maine)and you can BET that Denver is happy to have Montgomery behind there bench and by the end of the regular season they'll be in the hunt for a chance at playing in the NCAA's compared to a Gendron run Maine team that has holes every where's to fill and the only way to fill it is to talk about it and maybe by 2018/etc.-etc...Gendron does have his hands full, and he won't come close to rebuilding this team in his 4 years, will a Extension improve there chances..? I won't get in a #issing match with you but Montgomery in the long run will get it done and Gendron has many question marks on what he'll do in the long run. My hope is he does as he's the man behind the Maine bench now...but from what I've seen over 2 seasons and 17 games...he's having all he can handle.

Comment

D -- OK- first timer here. Been a fan a long time and go to many games. Sitting here by the woodstove and missing hockey, mention of AD makes me jump in for a response. The current guy will do nothing for hockey - he's a football guy. I believe the program began its slide while in the hands of prior AD Blake. Can't say why but when you run off long time local supporters in box seats and local radio to chase some money you know things changed. This is a supported program from local folks and students at the school, without it who knows what will happen. Going to a game without much student section being there is just not the same. Although there has been some recent improvement with this, if there open seats let the students in!! The new AD, watch it, will move this hockey program to Portland where they see the money to be. I don't expect the current AD to be here long though, he likely took the job to get some experience and will jump to something else when the opportunity arrives. How about Jack C. as an AD?? He's a UMO guy. What has the current guy done for hockey? Its probably the worst I've seen for getting the team in the press and promoting what's going on.

Why a D - I had high and maybe still have hopes for RED, I thought he would bring to the program that we had lost -- hard work, (hockey is a working mans sport) discipline and players who thought in terms of a team/program and not themselves. Like from Miracle on Ice - who do you play for? So I'm surprised after 3 years we have made such little progress. Will be disappointed if RED has a two year extension. Should hold his feet to the fire and see how next year goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          Yes Really...he might be "JUST" 7-7-2 @ Denver right now to date but a whole lot better then 4-9-4(Maine)and you can BET that Denver is happy to have Montgomery behind there bench and by the end of the regular season they'll be in the hunt for a chance at playing in the NCAA's compared to a Gendron run Maine team that has holes every where's to fill and the only way to fill it is to talk about it and maybe by 2018/etc.-etc...Gendron does have his hands full, and he won't come close to rebuilding this team in his 4 years, will a Extension improve there chances..? I won't get in a #issing match with you but Montgomery in the long run will get it done and Gendron has many question marks on what he'll do in the long run. My hope is he does as he's the man behind the Maine bench now...but from what I've seen over 2 seasons and 17 games...he's having all he can handle.
          Yeah Denver is 6th in their conference, I'll bet the DU fans are jumping for joy right now

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            The new AD, watch it, will move this hockey program to Portland where they see the money to be. I don't expect the current AD to be here long though, he likely took the job to get some experience and will jump to something else when the opportunity arrives. How about Jack C. as an AD?? He's a UMO guy.
            If Creech is a short-timer in Maine you might be on to something here, maybe Cozzy's new job is really on the job training to take over the big chair.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Yeah Denver is 6th in their conference, I'll bet the DU fans are jumping for joy right now
              Like I said before, not in this to #iss people off...both yourself and I want Maine hockey to come back...we will see by seasons end that Montgomery has his Team playing for the NCAA's...Maine is in trouble no matter how you or I slice & dice it up. My last comment on Gendron is, I will support him while he's behind the Maine bench...but feel so far that no progress has been made and I am not speaking about the W's/L's part. I don't think and who really knows if a Extension is in the works but he should have to prove himself is all I have to say...enough with this subject and "IF" I post nothing else till after the Holidays...Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all..!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                D -- OK- first timer here. Been a fan a long time and go to many games. Sitting here by the woodstove and missing hockey, mention of AD makes me jump in for a response. The current guy will do nothing for hockey - he's a football guy. I believe the program began its slide while in the hands of prior AD Blake. Can't say why but when you run off long time local supporters in box seats and local radio to chase some money you know things changed. This is a supported program from local folks and students at the school, without it who knows what will happen. Going to a game without much student section being there is just not the same. Although there has been some recent improvement with this, if there open seats let the students in!! The new AD, watch it, will move this hockey program to Portland where they see the money to be. I don't expect the current AD to be here long though, he likely took the job to get some experience and will jump to something else when the opportunity arrives. How about Jack C. as an AD?? He's a UMO guy. What has the current guy done for hockey? Its probably the worst I've seen for getting the team in the press and promoting what's going on.

Why a D - I had high and maybe still have hopes for RED, I thought he would bring to the program that we had lost -- hard work, (hockey is a working mans sport) discipline and players who thought in terms of a team/program and not themselves. Like from Miracle on Ice - who do you play for? So I'm surprised after 3 years we have made such little progress. Will be disappointed if RED has a two year extension. Should hold his feet to the fire and see how next year goes.
                WELCOME aboard...eveyones insight to Maine Hockey and College Hockey in general is interesting to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Denver is 1.3 games out of 3rd with two games in hand. They are also tied for 18th in the pairwise. Let's not pretend they have fallen off the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Denver is 1.3 games out of 3rd with two games in hand. They are also tied for 18th in the pairwise. Let's not pretend they have fallen off the planet.
                    They ain't setting the world on fire either, which is my point.For all the hype Maine fans give Jimmy you'd think DU would have won 2 championships already. Just like Walshy ain't walking thru that door, neither is Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Denver is certainly relevant, and Maine is not... In hindsight, it's hard to make an argument that Red was a better hire than Jimmy would have been.

(I wanted Corkum, though. )

Comment

Hard to compare Maine's coaches success to DU's right now. One inherited a successful in recent years program, the other had a lot more work to do. I can't say either has an edge over the other at this point in time. Give em both 2 more years... patience
                        sure why not

Comment

It's hard to make a 5 star meal when the cupboard is bare. That being said a good chef can usually come up with something besides gruel with what's available. Red and Co haven't had the best to work with but I think they could've done a better job to date. Maybe Bob or Jimmy could've done better....maybe not. It's irrelevant because they ain't here.

Comment

DU has proven to be a very difficult place to coach. Gwozdecky only had 2 seasons in his 19-years there that he didn’t have more wins than losses having had 20 win seasons in his last 12-years at the helm. Jimmy, I’m sure, is very aware of this and was confident enough that he could make them a Frozen Four contender within 5-years.

It’s my understanding Jimmy was never contacted by U-Maine regarding taking over for Tim.

Give Red and his staff 5-years too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post

Give Red and his staff 5-years too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
                              Bam !

Its not as if Red and staff will be able to turn this Mack truck around on a dime with their recruiting prowess. Even Walshy couldn't do that, it took a quarter for him to accomplish it. Will be occasionally painful and frustrating , but I am seeing little things I like out of the freshman and tending has improved. At least we don't have BU's problems right now. If you are patient, what goes around always seems to come around.
                              Last edited by all bear; 12-22-2015, 11:53 AM.
                              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                                It's hard to make a 5 star meal when the cupboard is bare. That being said a good chef can usually come up with something besides gruel with what's available. Red and Co haven't had the best to work with but I think they could've done a better job to date. Maybe Bob or Jimmy could've done better....maybe not. It's irrelevant because they ain't here.
                                Obviously Red knows hockey but I'm not sure he knows college age kids at this point in his life. Can he get them to do what he wants? I'd say it looks better this year then it did last year. The team plays hard they just aren't that talented. Can Ben find kids who can compete and will come to Orono still remains to be seen. At least 2 of next years recruits look good so thats promising.

Comment

Working...
                                X