X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey: Summer 2015 on the Stillwater

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    11 games, 11 goals.
    Never said they could score...obviously gripping their sticks (both of em) too hard...Im in the camp also you build from the goalie on out which I think we are seeing with occasional bumps. Goalie and defense have generally been pretty good even with the addition of a few freshmen and the loss of Hutton, who admittedly contributed more on the offensive end of things than on D. Forwards are - some upperclassmen who have never scored much, a bit snakebitten maybe, and or freshmen who usually take a while to find the back of the net. Whats worrisome to some degree is the lack of multiple good chances, but I keep coming back to a brutal schedule, almost entirely on the road....lets give this guy the 5 year plan at least, with all his guys, and see whats shaken at that point. Chreerist we gave the pencil neck geek what 12 years or so, though most were ready to hang him in effigy after the first 5.
    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      Wasn't the U, it was the cash cows at the Maine Principals Association, who tend to screw things up more than the U
      You Mean alfond stadium is under MPAs control and not the U? BS, the U own policy is not schedule stuff the night of hockey games and guess what they can't even follow their own policy
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
        That's the truth... Prices are climbing and wages are not, comparatively. On that reason alone we should not be bringing in as many foreigners as refugees that we have been. It's asking for trouble when we're already in a depression and there aren't even enough bad paying jobs to go around.
        Maine needs more working age people. People that are going to start businesses, raise families, and sustain the economy. Maine is old and getting older. Whether those people come from another state or another country does not matter, but the most likely source is probably from another country. Like how immigrants provided labor for our industrialization (textiles, shoes, paper). Who is going to bring jobs to Maine, when it is a old state? Do you think a car company wants to build a factory to employ a bunch of 50+ year old out of work mill workers, who will soon be retired, meanwhile there are dwindling numbers of kids who will eventually take their place? Maine can be an attractive place for people to COME and start small tech startups (Portland startups are attracting some venture capital, we need more of that). Maine does little to improve infrastructure (we have ****ty internet) to help facilitate this, and under funds their University (the system needs more computer science and engineering graduates, some will leave the state, but some will create startups). There is little chance of attracting big businesses to Maine, without first improving the economic situation and talent pool through home-grown small business.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          You Mean alfond stadium is under MPAs control and not the U? BS, the U own policy is not schedule stuff the night of hockey games and guess what they can't even follow their own policy

It's been in the MPA's rotation since the four-class format came into play, so both sides can take the blame. But yes, parking will be absolute hell on Friday

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Maine needs more working age people. People that are going to start businesses, raise families, and sustain the economy. Maine is old and getting older. Whether those people come from another state or another country does not matter, but the most likely source is probably from another country. Like how immigrants provided labor for our industrialization (textiles, shoes, paper). Who is going to bring jobs to Maine, when it is a old state? Do you think a car company wants to build a factory to employ a bunch of 50+ year old out of work mill workers, who will soon be retired, meanwhile there are dwindling numbers of kids who will eventually take their place? Maine can be an attractive place for people to COME and start small tech startups (Portland startups are attracting some venture capital, we need more of that). Maine does little to improve infrastructure (we have ****ty internet) to help facilitate this, and under funds their University (the system needs more computer science and engineering graduates, some will leave the state, but some will create startups). There is little chance of attracting big businesses to Maine, without first improving the economic situation and talent pool through home-grown small business.
            I have a bachelors degree, and the school system I work for required me to have a 4 year degree to be hired as an Ed Tech 3 at the time of my hire. This is my 4th year working at the school. After all deductions, my daily income is $62 a day. I still pay $250 a month for student loans and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment for $625 a month. I have a car to get to work in that I have to maintain and put gas in. I was also in the Army Guard for 8 years... $62 a day! In case you're wondering, my hourly wage is just over $15 an hour, but after deductions I make $8.85 an hour profit.

How will taking in foreigners make my situation any better? Refugees?
            Last edited by blackbearbandie; 11-18-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Five recruits signed on the dotted line during the early signing period, which ends today

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...20151118keyesq

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                we shouldn't be bringing anyone into this country until every vet has a roof over their head!!! 1/20/17 can't come fast enough.
                yes indeed..!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                  I have a bachelors degree, and the school system I work for required me to have a 4 year degree to be hired as an Ed Tech 3 at the time of my hire. This is my 4th year working at the school. After all deductions, my daily income is $62 a day. I still pay $250 a month for student loans and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment for $625 a month. I have a car to get to work in that I have to maintain and put gas in. I was also in the Army Guard for 8 years... $62 a day! In case you're wondering, my hourly wage is just over $15 an hour, but after deductions I make $8.85 an hour profit.

How will taking in foreigners make my situation any better? Refugees?
                  How will it hurt? You work in education. An aging state, that will constantly be downsizing schools (outside of greater Portland), is not a good thing for your future. Immigrants/refugees will likely be younger, have children or will soon have children, and will help stabilize out shrinking school populations. What did you study? With a more vibrant economy, there will be more opportunity for everyone. Maybe even opportunity for you outside of education. That won't happen without bringing people into this state. Its not enough to just keep a larger fraction of the young people leaving the state.

In just my department at my company, both in our Maine office and an office out of state, there are many people here on work visas. I may be the only person left in my 10 person Maine-based group that was actually born in Maine. All together we have hundreds of employees in Maine that came "from away", many from overseas. Without those immigrants we might as well close up shop, because we would never find enough qualified people locally. In my department people are making 60-100K a year, spending that money locally, putting their kids in local school, etc. All together, across the entire company, millions of dollars being spent locally. It has a huge impact. Maine absolutely CANNOT succeed without attracting younger work-aged residents from away. Immigrants will be an important part of that.

Sorry to continue the off topic discussion. But bringing it back around, Maine as a state, is in big trouble economically, which does not bode will for the University and its athletic program.

Comment

Five recruits signed on the dotted line during the early signing period, which ends today

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...20151118keyesq
                    Best class of signees on paper under Gendron by far! Hopefully that translates on the ice.

OK....back to wages and immigrants.

Comment

Wasn't the U, it was the cash cows at the Maine Principals Association, who tend to screw things up more than the U
                      Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      It's been in the MPA's rotation since the four-class format came into play, so both sides can take the blame. But yes, parking will be absolute hell on Friday
                      The only way it gets into the MPA's rotation is at the hands of the landlord: the University of Maine. Either the U scheduled a hockey game at the same time they had previously agreed to rent the stadium out, or they agreed to rent the stadium out at the same time they had a hockey game scheduled. Either way, the organization in charge - the one creating the chaos - is the U.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                        Best class of signees on paper under Gendron by far! Hopefully that translates on the ice.

OK....back to wages and immigrants.
                        Like any signing in the last few seasons, until there on the ice and games under the belt...there's no telling what...being negative a bit but our hopes have been dashed quickly through the last 6-7 years of the Whitehead era and now going forward into the Gendrons tenure...which to date has been slower then expected and to a big degree/Painful to watch at times...oh well things have to change in a Positive way sooner...right..?????

Comment

Pearson and Pappalardo are big time commits.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                            The only way it gets into the MPA's rotation is at the hands of the landlord: the University of Maine. Either the U scheduled a hockey game at the same time they had previously agreed to rent the stadium out, or they agreed to rent the stadium out at the same time they had a hockey game scheduled. Either way, the organization in charge - the one creating the chaos - is the U.
                            Shorter answer - $$$$

Comment

Parking on Friday will be a definite problem but back some time ago we were allowed to park on College Ave. but they stopped it. Do they allow parking on one side of College Ave. now during football games?

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                                Pearson and Pappalardo are big time commits.
                                Pearson came close to being @ Maine this fall...but figure a year in the USHL is better then what is going on @ Maine so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X