This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Yes I know the Baker family but I will let them speak to any details regarding the process of committing to Wisconsin. Just felt the need to clarify that the article wasn't entirely factual.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfan69! View Post
      Yes I know the Baker family but I will let them speak to any details regarding the process of committing to Wisconsin. Just felt the need to clarify that the article wasn't entirely factual.
      Fair enough.

A lot of the people on this board have "connections" of one type or another.

We used to have a guy who had his finger on the pulse of a lot of insider information. He'll still lurk, but his current job makes it unwise for him to post anything. Hi Chuck/Andy!!!

Some people have connections to families, some have connections to players, some have connections to connections to connections.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        Right direction - yes they are. After a four win season, you really can only go up.

No one said anything disparaging about the kid, but the appeasers just assume every comment is negative. You guys make me laugh.
        I am glad the laughter goes both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          No one said anything disparaging about the kid, but the appeasers just assume every comment is negative.
          I don't know about that...

How would you spin these comments
          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          It's not as juicy as it seems. He's got 14 pts in 25 games in his 2nd year in the USHL. And he's originally from Verona.
          as something positive?

3 items in the comment
          1 - "Not as juicy as it seems" sure seems like a negative
          2 - "14 pts in 25 games in his 2nd year in the USHL" as a stand-alone comment, could be taken either way. In the context of the post, sure seems negative to me.
          3 - "And he's originally from Verona" again, as a stand-alone comment could be taken to mean pretty much anything. In the context of the post it sure seems like a negative comment. As in "come on, no good players have ever come out of Verona".

You spin things the way you want, I'll spin them the way I want.

But please, tell me how it was wrong to see this as anything but a negative reaction? How did you read this as a positive post?

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
            How many points would he have to have for you to be excited?

It sounds different if you say he is tied for the lead in points on his team, rather than say it's not so juicy because he's in his second year in the USHL and has 14 points in 25 games.
            A point a game would get me excited.

My point was that we didn't pluck a blue chippah from the rodents (like the sue did to us with Boeser), which would be really, really juicy. Baker has the potential to be a very nice 4 year contributor, he could be a 4 year anchor or traffic cone, he could be the next Pavs. I surely desire the later and welcome him into the Badger den. I'm glad he came to his senses.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A point a game would get me excited.

My point was that we didn't pluck a blue chippah from the rodents (like the sue did to us with Boeser), which would be really, really juicy. Baker has the potential to be a very nice 4 year contributor, he could be a 4 year anchor or traffic cone, he could be the next Pavs. I surely desire the later and welcome him into the Badger den. I'm glad he came to his senses.

So, there are maybe 5-8 players right now in the USHL that you would find acceptable/excited to be a Badger?

You sure like the term "blue chippah".

I am glad you covered everything Baker could potentially be.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                So, there are maybe 5-8 players right now in the USHL that you would find acceptable/excited to be a Badger?

You sure like the term "blue chippah".

I am glad you covered everything Baker could potentially be.
                Oh my! How my words have become so twisted! Seriously. When I saw the twitter post, I was excited. I was hoping UW snatched a rodent born and raised blue chippah (Yeah, I LOVE to use that term) from the rodents. Turns out they snatched a solid player who has roots in WI from them. That's it. It was not a commentary on Eaves. It was not meant to be a rip on the program. I wasn't ripping Baker. It just wasn't as big of a get as I was hoping (Boeseresque). If y'all been paying attention, I have been supporting Eaves and the new staff. I want them to get a chance to turn the program around and I hope Baker is a piece of the puzzle. Hopefully Bittner and Strand had a hand in this.

Comment

Oh my! How my words have become so twisted! Seriously. When I saw the twitter post, I was excited. I was hoping UW snatched a rodent born and raised blue chippah (Yeah, I LOVE to use that term) from the rodents. Turns out they snatched a solid player who has roots in WI from them. That's it. It was not a commentary on Eaves. It was not meant to be a rip on the program. I wasn't ripping Baker. It just wasn't as big of a get as I was hoping (Boeseresque). If y'all been paying attention, I have been supporting Eaves and the new staff. I want them to get a chance to turn the program around and I hope Baker is a piece of the puzzle. Hopefully Bittner and Strand had a hand in this.
                  Thanks for owning your love of the term "blue chippah"

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                    Thanks for owning your love of the term "blue chippah"
                    I've often thought it would be more appropriate in regards to UW to change "blue" to "red" for the obvious reason, but then some people would take that as a commentary on the recruit and not be able to figure out why I'm using the word "red".

Wisconsin Hockey: There should be nothing blue about red.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I don't know about that...

How would you spin these comments

as something positive?

3 items in the comment
                      1 - "Not as juicy as it seems" sure seems like a negative
                      2 - "14 pts in 25 games in his 2nd year in the USHL" as a stand-alone comment, could be taken either way. In the context of the post, sure seems negative to me.
                      3 - "And he's originally from Verona" again, as a stand-alone comment could be taken to mean pretty much anything. In the context of the post it sure seems like a negative comment. As in "come on, no good players have ever come out of Verona".

You spin things the way you want, I'll spin them the way I want.

But please, tell me how it was wrong to see this as anything but a negative reaction? How did you read this as a positive post?

Nothing was stated by Tim other than the facts and while it may end up being a nice signing after we look back on it a few years from now, it's not a big steal from the Gophers at this point. It's just not all that juicy.

And my kid currently plays for Verona and I didn't take the Verona comment for anything other than that's where he's from. Skille and the Schmaltz brothers are also from Verona. Plenty of decent talent around the Madison area with more coming up.

You're turning into a whiny one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        You're turning into a whiny one.
                        I think it is more me being sick and tired of the constant negative attitude on the board and how it skews pretty much everything that I see people posting.

Someone made a comment, someone said it wasn't a negative comment, I replied with how I saw it as a negative comment. I think that is a perfectly acceptable level of discourse.

When I see someone make a comment that I don't agree with, I can certainly make my case and explain how I got there. You came back with your explanation, which is fine and perfectly valid, but then you worked a personal jab in too. If that is what you need to do then knock yourself out, I can handle it. And to his credit, Timothy A came back and explained his comments, which is a great way to resolve the conversation. I think the statements and stances have all been pretty much straightened out and we can let this go now.

To me it feels like there is a swelling of support and positivity on the board, and it is great to see that happening...until the some people come in to refresh their negative arguments.

Comment

I think it is more me being sick and tired of the constant negative attitude on the board and how it skews pretty much everything that I see people posting.

To me it feels like there is a swelling of support and positivity on the board, and it is great to see that happening...until the some people come in to refresh their negative arguments.
                          And a lot of us are sick and tired of the constant appeasement and acceptance of sub par results and recruiting from this head coach, so the feelings go both ways. You need to keep that in mind. All of us want the program to excel, but myself and others don't think that can happen consistently under Eaves.

Again the "positivity," if that is even a word, is a result of a 4 win season, and there is basically no way it can get worse than that. But we are far from a championship contender with this team....
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Someone made a comment, someone said it wasn't a negative comment, I replied with how I saw it as a negative comment. I think that is a perfectly acceptable level of discourse.

When I see someone make a comment that I don't agree with, I can certainly make my case and explain how I got there. You came back with your explanation, which is fine and perfectly valid, but then you worked a personal jab in too. If that is what you need to do then knock yourself out, I can handle it. And to his credit, Timothy A came back and explained his comments, which is a great way to resolve the conversation. I think the statements and stances have all been pretty much straightened out and we can let this go now.

You read into his statement(s) and applied your own personal bias to them and came back with comments that were based upon those biases, not what he said.

Of course, now you're the victim.

Again, it's not a "negative argument" to say this is a rather pedestrian signing compared to us losing Boesser etc...

It's not a bad signing. It's not a great get. It's a signing.

You're jumping at shadows lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin
                              It's not a bad signing. It's not a great get. It's a signing.
                              Frankly, all signing are just signing until they show what they can do on the ice for UW.

Most of us are sick of Eaves and his excuses and metaphors , sick of blown 3rd period leads, sick of OT losses sick of being uncompetitive against top teams, but most of all just plain sick of all the losses.

Hell, if I'm not allowed to express my displeasurewith the state of the program I'm sure I can find better things to spend my time money and emotional energy on. Once Eaves is gone I'll be back to start the new thread: "Wisconsin Hockey: Dawn of the Fifth Age! Vol I"

Comment

I'll just be happy if we still have a team when Alvarez leaves.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X