Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    While the Press Release is not up yet on the ECAC site, Ken Schott is reporting Tim Marcin and Max Gotttlieb made the ECAC All-Rookie team. Can't remember when we last had that happen, if ever.
    And Nick Lappin on First Team!

Comment

1700 had Yesterday's Harvard Brown lacrosse game. BTW, anyone know what % of the attendance Perhaps Kane88 is right - winning will get the fans back to Meehan. I will disregard the sunny weather.

Comment

1700 had Yesterday's Harvard Brown lacrosse game. BTW, anyone know what % of the attendance Perhaps Kane88 is right - winning will get the fans back to Meehan. I will disregard the sunny weather.
        I went to the lax game yesterday - this Brown team is awesome! Roughly half the crowd was there to cheer on Brown, and a fairly sizable Brown student section formed on the far side of Harvard Stadium. I'd guess about 100 students, which is more than we get for most home hockey games. Not sure if the university bussed them up to Allston, but either way, it shows the impact on student support that successful teams can have.

The athletic department could certainly be more aggressive in marketing the hockey team, but, frankly, there isn't a whole lot to market right now. Winning is the only sure-fire way to get butts in seats.

Comment

Lappin is tearing it up in Albany. Definitely looks like he was prepared for the next level, which is a credit to the Brown coaching staff.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
          12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
            Lappin is tearing it up in Albany. Definitely looks like he was prepared for the next level, which is a credit to the Brown coaching staff.
            He definitely is. Another point yesterday. He and Matt Lorito were certainly prepared for that next level. Interesting to see some posts on the NJDevils main blog Fire and Ice looking forward to both Matt and Nick with NJ next year.

Comment

Kdiff - Your choice for this thread's title was quite prophetic!

Comment

Kdiff - Your choice for this thread's title was quite prophetic!
                Kdiff:
                Speaking of thread titles, I still like your initial choice from last year that was ultimately shelved and suggest that Brown Hockey 2016-17: The Quest Continues be considered for next season.
                LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Any Brown fans coming to Albany for the regional finals?

Comment

Looking ahead to next year-->
                    Any updates or notes on the potential class of players the Coaching Staff has compiled? Go Bruno.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      I went to the lax game yesterday - this Brown team is awesome! Roughly half the crowd was there to cheer on Brown, and a fairly sizable Brown student section formed on the far side of Harvard Stadium. I'd guess about 100 students, which is more than we get for most home hockey games. Not sure if the university bussed them up to Allston, but either way, it shows the impact on student support that successful teams can have.

The athletic department could certainly be more aggressive in marketing the hockey team, but, frankly, there isn't a whole lot to market right now. Winning is the only sure-fire way to get butts in seats.
                      Sorry folks, you cannot bring up Lax when the Yale Bulldogs are the #1 ranked team in the land, just sayin. They took care of the Natty Squash Champ, Lax next! Hockey, oh well
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                        Looking ahead to next year-->
                        Any updates or notes on the potential class of players the Coaching Staff has compiled? Go Bruno.
                        Here's a compilation of all recruits that you can weed through. It's not sorted whatsoever, so it can be a pain, but it is probably the most comprehensive list.

Elite Prospects filters commitments by team, but I don't know how accurate it is. A 13-member freshman class would be almost unprecedented.

In any event, it looks as though goaltending and defensemen will be the focal point of this year's class. Nieto had terrific stats in the NAHL, and the d-men seem to all have decent size. Not much in terms of point production, however.

On the forward side of things, August Von Ungern-Sternberg (now THAT'S a fun name!), Chris Berger and Brent Beaudoin could provide some decent offensive production, while the other forward recruits have not been big-time scorers but bring some size to the table. Ben Taylor, in particular, is intriguing, as he's 6'3" and has managed to put up points during his career at prep school. He might be a little unpolished since he didn't play juniors, but might he be the next Volpatti or Hathaway?

There don't seem to be any hyped-up recruits like there were two years ago, but I'm interested to see what these guys can bring to the table. If nothing else, the goaltending situation should see an upgrade and the defensive corps should be solidified with more depth. If we can shore up the back end, we could see a big improvement next season. The offense wasn't always great these past two years, but the defense was definitely a much bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Sorry folks, you cannot bring up Lax when the Yale Bulldogs are the #1 ranked team in the land, just sayin. They took care of the Natty Squash Champ, Lax next! Hockey, oh well

We'll see you on April 16th! I personally think this year's Brown team has made the adjustments necessary to beat Yale after seeing its offense completely thwarted by Yale's stout defense last year, but time will tell. After the relentless run-and-gun failed twice against the Bulldogs last season, Brown spent the offseason developing a more versatile and balanced attack. Now, they like to slow it down and control the game much more, which is the key to beating a stalwart defense and ball-hoarding team like Yale. We did just put up 19 on Villanova through a combination of quick transition attacks and controlled tempo, but they were clearly overmatched from the start and didn't appear to be a legitimate top-5 team.

Dylan Milloy now deals with double teams by taking on the role of playmaker and feeding Kylor Bellistri and Henry Blynn. Plus, Jack Kelly has established himself as one of the nation's premier goalies and the defense took a leap forward. I haven't seen Yale play yet this year, (the Ivies get no respect from ESPN) but I'm assuming they're simply an improved version of last year's team, which is a scary thought.

In any event, it should be a great game. I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

More Brown hockey in Sunday Globe via Bobby Farnham:

Scroll down - http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/ho...FeK/story.html

Comment

Divver reported on Twitter that we're hosting UNH and Providence next season, with road games at Maine, Holy Cross and Army and a trip to the desert for Arizona State's tournament with St. Cloud and UConn.

Comment

Yikes - apparently there was a fire at the hockey house. According to Mark Divver, Andrew Doane was the student mentioned in the article below who was brought to the hospital. I hope everyone is ok!

http://m.providencejournal.com/news/...rs-to-hospital

Comment

Working...
                                X