Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    One other matter - attendance at Meehan. Small but spirited crowd on Saturday, but can't AD do something to draw more fans? I realize it was tough this past weekend with ND v PC but there seems to be no effort to draw fans. How about kids get in free with paid admission or drop prices or hold promotions, eg, T shirts (I heard that BBall does a lot of them), dedicated parking somewhere
    This is hilarious. You expect someone in the athletic department to do something to bring more fans into the games?

Listen we don't have 7 Associate Athletic Directors for no reason. There are a lot of very important things they're doing. It takes a lot of effort to run an entire athletic program directly into the ground. They are working hard during those 20-25 hours a week that they may or may not be working to make sure pretty much nothing gets done except the bare minimum. Listen, coffee doesn't make itself. Cutting and pasting player bios from one year's media guide to the next is very hard to make look like actual work. Pizza needs to be ordered for the press box!!

I'd write some more things that are done with half-*ssed effort by the athletic department, but I can't think of anything else they actually get accomplished.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brownfan14 View Post
      Yes, and Naclerio reached 100 points. Those two seniors will be missed.
      Those two and Lorito have been lone bright spots for the program these past few years. It'll be sad to see them go, but I'm excited to see how far they can go in the pros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        One other matter - attendance at Meehan. Small but spirited crowd on Saturday, but can't AD do something to draw more fans? I realize it was tough this past weekend with ND v PC but there seems to be no effort to draw fans. How about kids get in free with paid admission or drop prices or hold promotions, eg, T shirts (I heard that BBall does a lot of them), dedicated parking somewhere
        A few years ago, tickets were a mere $5 a pop. Now they're up to $12. That's not a good way to get butts in seats.

Considering that the P-Bruins and PC will play at the same time as Brown quite a few times during the season, Brown needs to give local casual fans (of which there are many) reason to choose its game over those two superior options. If tickets are only a couple bucks less than a PC game or $5 less than a P-Bruins game, a team that has been stuck in the bottom half of a conference with few big-name, marketable opponents for 12 years is not going to compete with the defending national champions or Bruins' farm team.

Cheaper tickets, student incentives, giveaways and a memorable game experience need to be incorporated in order to make Brown even semi-competitive at the gate. For too long, it's been only a handful of season ticket holders and the traveling fans who frequently attend games.

When Brown had good teams during the Yann Danis era, they drew good crowds. Since the program has not been able to build sustainable success as of yet, they need to get creative.

Comment

When Brown had good teams during the Yann Danis era, they drew good crowds. Since the program has not been able to build sustainable success as of yet, they need to get creative.[/QUOTE]

Seeing the '76 team a couple weeks ago reminded me that Meehan would sell out for games against Harvard and Cornell and would be packed and rocking for most other games. I think more students would go with more wins. Thank goodness the band still goes most of the time. I agree that $12 tickets are a turn-off for a family, and will need to be lowered to get non-students in the gate; for example, the Ivy swimming championships this weekend are offering $1 - $3 tickets for kids under 12.

Comment

• Thank goodness the band still goes most of the time.
            Said nobody, ever.

Comment

In a over saturated hockey market such as New England with college programs such as Boston College, BU, UCONN, PC, ETC.. The only way to bring the crowd back to the Meehan is simple. Just Win Baby!.
              Of all the top five-ten teams; we might matchup with QU the best. Need two points on the road at Princeton. If nothing else we are undoubtedly the team nobody wants to draw headed into the playoffs. That statement referring to the bottom three only (Gate and Princeton). Roll bears

Comment

It would be super cool if we beat Quinnipiac tonight. Or tied them. Or even a one-goal loss wouldn't be disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  It would be super cool if we beat Quinnipiac tonight. Or tied them. Or even a one-goal loss wouldn't be disappointing.
                  Please beat them!
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

I see Max Willman is in the starting lineup tonight. I thought he was out for the year??

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      I see Max Willman is in the starting lineup tonight. I thought he was out for the year??
                      Heard his hand was fractured?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brownfan14 View Post
                        Heard his hand was fractured?
                        That's what Divver reported after the Cornell game. Maybe it was less severe than initially thought?

Comment

The only good thing about this game so far has been the audio feed cutting out. The video quality is exceptional, but the commentators are atrocious. I haven't heard homers this bad since the last time I watched one of Brown's broadcasts.

Comment

Expecting a strong game tonight to finish regular season - albeit a disappointing 11th place finish - which can give team some confidence for next week against ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              Expecting a strong game tonight to finish regular season - albeit a disappointing 11th place finish - which can give team some confidence for next week against ?
                              In typical Brown fashion (this year), a goal allowed within three minutes of a Brown goal and with 7 seconds left in a period. I'm not sure to what we should chalk that up - mental weakness/letdowns, or just plain bad execution. Every mistake this team makes turns into a goal the other way.

I'm scoreboard watching to see where this team ends up. Clarkson or Cornell is my guess at this hour. Either way, looking at the standings and this team's top line, regardless of injury, 2015-16 is going to go down as one of the most frustrating and disappointing seasons in memory, given the way I felt about this team after the Belpot and even after the PC victory. Maybe we can do something in the second season, but I don't think Brown is sneaking up on anyone, even with a five win regular season.

Wait... I just typed that. Five wins is just unacceptable at this point. It's not for lack of trying, but is there a sport at Brown this winter where Brownisn't in last or near the bottom of the league? Does Christina Paxson know this? Does she care?

Comment

Incidentally, this isn't on Ernst. Terrific glove save with :22 seconds left on a 2-1 break for the Tigers.

Comment

Working...
                                X