Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Other than not being in last place, Brown's record is not great. But what is especially telling is that over the last several years Brown is consistently last. Can this be explained by Ruth Simmons' indifference to athletics or is something else going on?
    Ruth Simmons: YES

There's more to it than that, but her legacy (including athletic administrative and coaching appointments due partly to low-ball salaries, and clamping down on admission flexibility) has been devastating to most team sports. In addition to the ways our men's programs have suffered, Brown's women's teams have taken a big hit in the past decade. Women's sports used to be our pride and joy, but look at the records of women's hockey and basketball this year. B'ball hasn't won a single game.

I'd love to be proved wrong. In the meantime, I have loser fatigue.

Comment

As to admissions, brief excerpt from an article in today's NY Post by a former Yale Asst Director of Admissions:

" After fierce pressure from the athletic department, I had to admit a highly sought-after French Canadian hockey recruit. He had crappy grades, dismal scores, and his essay consisted of one sentence scribbled hastily in pencil: “I want to bée a great hockey player.” Article says the recruit then passed on Yale and went to BU.

Comment

Bitter cold in Upstate and Central NY tonight. Lynah could be colder than Meehan

Brown has 2 opportunities left to notch its first Ivy League win - tonight and last game of season at Princeton. I can't remember when Brown last had a winless Ivy season. Bruno, can you help out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
          Bitter cold in Upstate and Central NY tonight. Lynah could be colder than Meehan

Brown has 2 opportunities left to notch its first Ivy League win - tonight and last game of season at Princeton. I can't remember when Brown last had a winless Ivy season. Bruno, can you help out there?
          2005-06, only five wins: Clarkson, St. Lawrence (twice), UConn, Quinnipiac.
          2008-09: no Ivy wins in the regular season, but two against Harvard in the playoffs.

That's twice in the past 10 years, with a third potentially this year. Maybe that's a stat someone should send Ruth, the President's office, and Admissions.

Comment

Brown has shown time and again this year that it can play with (and often outplay) many of the best teams in the country. However, the finishing hasn't been there this year and shaky goaltending has hurt the team as well. I'm hoping Gavin Nieto will prove to be a reliable contributor in the crease next year and that the young forward corps continues to improve.

The three freshmen defensemen have been very encouraging, and I hear we have a couple more promising rookies coming in next year.

I'm hoping we can continue our strong possession play next year but improve in terms of goal scoring, goaltending and putting teams away.

As for the remainder of this year - I still think there's hope we could put together a nice run toward the end of the season and into the playoffs. We have a lot of talent and I don't think many teams will look forward to playing in the playoffs as opposed to Princeton or Colgate.

Comment

A classmate who lives in the Chicago area was at last night's Blackhawks - Ducks game. He said he was quite surprised to see 2 Brown alumni - Ryan Garbutt and Harry Z - playing for the Ducks. He said their play was reminiscent of Dennis Macks '67 play!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ursecure
                The problem is the (4) freshman defensemen with the exception of Gottlieb have played behind the upper classmen defenseman. Filling in when they are injured. Last night it was Scherer and Wynne sitting in the stands. The current forward lines are working as witnessed last night (Three different lines scored) and the #2 power play unit looked good. As for goaltending we almost had Berrafato 2 years ago . He opted for Holy Cross and after sitting most of last year, is putting together a pretty good year this year as the #1. He got the win against us in relief in our 1st game of the season.
                I've been very disappointed that Sherer and Schoo don't play consistently. They're big upgrades over Wood, Cooper and Tegtmeyer. Wood doesn't appear to even be a part of the rotation - I believe he's played every game this season.

The goaltending situation is a shame - both Blake Weyrick and Derek Roy were expected to be on the roster currently, and both would likely be upgrades over what we currently have. Also, Tyler Steel was excellent his freshman year before injuries apparently derailed him. He's never been the same since his hip (I think?) issue a year ago.

It's no use crying over spilled milk and I'm aware that I've beaten this horse to death in the past, but our first line right now should have Miles Wood and Kevin Roy, two of Hockey East's preeminent talents, on the wings. Plus, Tim Doherty was expected to be a major contributor.

I just feel sorry for Brendan Whittet - he's done an amazing recruiting job, consistently drawing Massachusetts talent away from the likes of BU, BC, Harvard, Lowell and PC. But four of his most prized recruits never played a game in a Brown uniform. We could be legitimate ECAC contenders if those players had come to Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  It's no use crying over spilled milk and I'm aware that I've beaten this horse to death in the past, but our first line right now should have Miles Wood and Kevin Roy, two of Hockey East's preeminent talents, on the wings. Plus, Tim Doherty was expected to be a major contributor.

I just feel sorry for Brendan Whittet - he's done an amazing recruiting job, consistently drawing Massachusetts talent away from the likes of BU, BC, Harvard, Lowell and PC. But four of his most prized recruits never played a game in a Brown uniform. We could be legitimate ECAC contenders if those players had come to Brown.
                  Add to your list Nate Widman who is logging lots of ice time and is Asst Capt for St. Cloud State now ranked 4th. He left Brown despite Brendan's efforts due to financial aid issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    Add to your list Nate Widman who is logging lots of ice time and is Asst Capt for St. Cloud State now ranked 4th. He left Brown despite Brendan's efforts due to financial aid issues.
                    Yes, he was very promising in the few games he played for us. He would be our best defenseman this year.

Comment

For you Mike Hutter. I don’t know if this interests you but several Alb. Devils will be signing autographs @the Hockey Giant store on Wolfe Rd. Wed. from 6-8pm. Loritto will be one.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Mark Divver reported on Twitter than Max Willman is out for the season with a broken hand. He blocked a shot against Cornell and sustained the injury.

We have absolutely no forward depth now (as opposed to "extremely limited depth").

Comment

Whoops - I missed one of his tweets. Apparently Dane Cooper is out for the year, as well, after undergoing an emergency appendectomy. So our defensive depth is limited as well.

I'd expect to see something like this against SLU and Clarkson:

Marchin-Naclerio-Lappin
                          Pryzbek-Lafferty-Bird
                          Doane-Corcoran-Brink
                          Rossi-Middleton-Prescott

Gottlieb-McArdle
                          Pfeil-Wood
                          Schoo-Tegtmeyer

Not exactly awe-inspiring, but the roster is depleted at this point. I hope Scherer gets some minutes this weekend, but he appears to have fallen out of favor for the time being.

Comment

• Originally posted by ursecure
                            Doane is out with a broken foot, broke it blocking shot in practice. Scherer had hurt his wrist but is practicing full contact. Waiting for Whittet to give Wynne a chance. He had scholarship offers from several Hockey East schools and chose Brown. What do we have to lose with only 4 wins.
                            Wow - didn't know about Doane or Scherer's injuries. This is crazy! We've had some injury-plagued teams in the past, but this one takes the cake, especially if you consider that Kyle Kramer and Braedan Russell both were forced to hang up their skates for good earlier this year.

I liked what I saw of Wynne whenever he played - I forget which games. I definitely agree that it's time to experiment, since nothing is working at the moment.

I wonder who will fill Willman's spot in the lineup? I would imagine it'll have to be another defender, since we're out of forwards...

Comment

Lets slow down here with the recruiting speculation. Ya Miles Wood and Kevin Roy are bona fide studs, but Derrick Roy and Blake Weyrick have both flamed out and have proven to not be capable Division 1 goaltenders. In regards to the lineup.. playing time should be given out on nothing other than current play and work ethic. You have to believe that the coaching staff is making decisions in the best interest of the club. College athletics isn't about getting a chance and lets see what he/she has to offer. Its about earning that chance. #bears

Comment

• Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                                Lets slow down here with the recruiting speculation. Ya Miles Wood and Kevin Roy are bona fide studs, but Derrick Roy and Blake Weyrick have both flamed out and have proven to not be capable Division 1 goaltenders. In regards to the lineup.. playing time should be given out on nothing other than current play and work ethic. You have to believe that the coaching staff is making decisions in the best interest of the club. College athletics isn't about getting a chance and lets see what he/she has to offer. Its about earning that chance. #bears
                                At a certain point, work ethic simply cannot overcome a dearth of talent. Though he is an extremely likable figure and has excelled in recruiting top talent during his tenure, Brendan Whittet has shown time and again that he will often sit more skilled and intelligent players in favor of big guys who appear to have "grit" and "toughness." And it's ok to disagree with those decisions. After seven years at the helm and a career winning percentage of .388, coach Whittet has not exactly earned immunity from being fairly critiqued by those who invest time, money and emotion in his team each week.

Also, for what it's worth, Weyrick has a .924 save percentage in the NAHL this season, and would almost certainly be an improvement - even if it were a marginal one - over the current crop of goaltenders that we have. I reiterate my sympathy for coach Whittet, who did a truly incredible job of luring such high-end talents as Wood, Roy, Widman, Weyrick and Doherty to Brown in the first place, only to have to watch them continue their careers elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X