Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2015-16: (s)Lappin' around the competition

Bruno - I agree that we seemed to be missing a piece offensively this weekend. I'd like to see them try Willman on the first line for a couple games. I think he's too fast for Lafferty and Bird. They're certainly not slow, but at times they can't keep up with him. He could be the final piece that the first line needs to score consistently (not that they haven't been doing so already).

Marchin is a very impressive player and has played well alongside Lappin and Naclerio, so I don't think we would mitigate the effectiveness of the second line by "demoting" him. If anything, he might be a better fit with Lafferty and Bird. Willman needs linemates who can better read his lightning-quick movements.

Joe Prescott has no business playing on the third line, and Rossi has no place in this lineup. The latter didn't play a minute in the third and Whittet had to mix and match the lines. Why dress him at all? And why is Tim Lappin rotting away on the fourth line? He's far too talented.

I think we should roll with:

N. Lappin-Naclerio-Willman
    Bird-Lafferty-Marchin
    Brink-Corcoran-T. Lappin
    Pryzbek-Middleton-Prescott

The top three lines should be able to consistently maintain possession, while the fourth is your classic heavyweight line - but they can also chip in offensively, and Middleton is a good defensive player, as well.

Kepler - Gillam was tremendous. I was pleasantly surprised by the way Brown controlled the game, as I was kind of expecting Cornell to put its foot on the gas after not scoring the night before. But they didn't even have to, because their goaltender was unflappable. He had perfect positioning all night and looked confident even when blocked by traffic. He's certainly capable of stealing you guys some games, even when the rest of the team doesn't play particularly well.

All in all, the results weren't there for Brown this weekend, but the process certainly was. Ernst looks like a very solid starter at the moment, while the defense is immensely improved over the first couple weeks of the season. The offense was dominant in spurts against Colgate and then controlled the entire game against Cornell, but only came up with a single goal to show for it. If we keep generating large numbers of quality scoring chances each game, the goals will come.

This team is miles ahead of last year. Even when they don't win, at least it's exciting to watch.

Comment

[QUOTE=kdiff77;6229010]I think we should roll with:

Bird-Lafferty-Marchin
      Brink-Corcoran-T. Lappin

What is going on with Pryzbek? DNP for both games this weekend. Is he in Brendan's dog house? He was starting to show his promise this year.

Comment

As a follow-up to Bruno's comment, note that Matt Lorito is the leading scorer for the Albany Devils, 14th league-wide, and 4th among all rookies - http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....division_id=-1

Comment

I created a thread for the trip over the pond should any want to chime in on anything.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...l-Northeastern
          Gary

www.umlhockey.com
          Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
          "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
          KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mike Hutter;6229329]
            Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            I think we should roll with:

Bird-Lafferty-Marchin
            Brink-Corcoran-T. Lappin

What is going on with Pryzbek? DNP for both games this weekend. Is he in Brendan's dog house? He was starting to show his promise this year.
            He played on Saturday, on the third line. Unfortunately, Brink sat in his stead while Rossi remained in the lineup for reasons unbeknownst to me. I don't see why Pryzbek and Brink can't be in the same lineup, but that's just me.

Comment

Below is the television schedule for the Belfast Friendship Tour:

Brown's opening game v Colgate will be broadcast live on Friday, November 27th at 11am ET on NESN and TSN nationally in Canada. It may also be on Time Warner in NY. A rebroadcast will occur at 6pm on NESN.

The Consolation and Finals will be broadcast live on NESN Plus on Saturday, November 28th at 11am ET and 2:15pm ET.

Packing for the trip.

Best to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                Below is the television schedule for the Belfast Friendship Tour:

Brown's opening game v Colgate will be broadcast live on Friday, November 27th at 11am ET on NESN and TSN nationally in Canada. It may also be on Time Warner in NY. A rebroadcast will occur at 6pm on NESN.

The Consolation and Finals will be broadcast live on NESN Plus on Saturday, November 28th at 11am ET and 2:15pm ET.

Packing for the trip.

Best to all.
                I believe a rebroadcast of Saturday's action will be on NESH (regular) later in the day.
                Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

be interesting to see what the staff decides on for line combinations this weekend. Have to assume Ernst will be in net.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane88 View Post
                    be interesting to see what the staff decides on for line combinations this weekend. Have to assume Ernst will be in net.
                    I like Kdiff's suggest about Willman playing with Naclerio and Lappin. Speaking of Lappin it is interesting to note he has 0 penalties so far, quite the difference from the start last season., and his aggressiveness on the ice has not lessened

Comment

Euler:

Have you arrived? How about posts - "Euler's Excellent Adventure" - regarding what you are seeing hockey-wise?

Comment

Wow. The first line is incredible. They have three goals in the second period. Marchin has two, Naclerio scored a gorgeous goal and Lappin has two assists.

Comment

Marchin now has a hat trick. What a period for that line!

Comment

Marchin now has a hat trick. What a period for that line!
                            Marchin looks great - he has established himself in front of the goal as a legitimate presence. I disagreed with the line shakeup proposed a couple weeks ago, for no reason other than I like the Power Forward and scoring instincts that Marchin has. At the same time, there is something about Willman-Lafferty-Bird that reminds of something Dartmouth did several years ago with three studs of the same year, same line (the Mike Maduro line) that became downright unstoppable due to chemistry and talen.

With two in the book here against Colgate, the key, in my opinion, will be not allowing anything silly in the first 3-4 minutes of the period that could get Colgate thinking they can claw back in this one. Good opportunity for Brown to see if it has learned anything since the Dartmouth game.

I'm not sure if this is a boy, this team is pretty good game, a boy, Colgate just isn't very good game, or a boy, we have a shot at being decent if we play well on a nightly basis game. Either way, have to set the DVR and watch the third period later. I'll be scoreboard watching for the early afternoon.

Comment

This was a thorough and dominant performance. The only concern I have is that we might be a little top-heavy, since only the first line is scoring consistently. But they were absolutely sensational today.

BF00, I think I'll have to retract my prior statement about Marchin playing on the second line. He fits in extremely well with Naclerio and Lappin.

Meanwhile, Tim Ernst has only given up two goals in the last three games. That's great!

Comment

This was a thorough and dominant performance. The only concern I have is that we might be a little top-heavy, since only the first line is scoring consistently. But they were absolutely sensational today.
                                200' x 100'

Too bad there aren't any olympic size ice sheets in the ECAC. Perhaps the Bears should schedule more out-of-conference games at UNH, Minnesota and Notre Dame.

What a spectacular victory, particularly after last weekend's 1-1 draw vs. Colgate at Meehan. And bringing home two vital ECAC points adds a significant bonus to the Belfast trip.

Moreover, the schedule's biggest plus may be that Brown will never again have to set foot in the Raiders' Starr Rink and can make the western NY road trip a one-game visit to Lynah Rink this season for another crack at Cornell.
                                LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Working...
                                X