• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streaker
    replied
    Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    That high dump outlet pass saved our rears a few times last night. Given our issues, it's great we started doing that.

You can see what kind if team PSU is- other than lot pressing the D down, they did nothing with that play. Like us, the allowed a lot of odd man rushes. Without good play from both goalies- it could have been 11-8.

BTW, anyone notice that we are now 4th in the important rankings? When was the last time we were that high?
    Probably in the Hunwick era. The Beanpot on Monday will juggle it again I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• JoeZ
    replied

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    Question, what are the tie-breakers for the regular season if teams tie in points? I'm guessing 1.) Head-to-head, 2.) Regulation wins, 3.) PWR. Is that correct?
    Here is the official word from the B1G:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...100815aac.html

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    Penn State saw something on film about our breakouts. Obvious that the guys were being deliberate in our own end which just exacerbated the situation. Someone on twitter pointed out that we were keeping our forwards below the dots- but moved at least one of the wingers higher to help with clearing the zone up high and not letting PSU's de-men cheat low. It worked. They are relentless at forechecking, give them credit- and they shoot from everywhere hoping for the type of goals like the third goal, a scramble in front etc.
    That high dump outlet pass saved our rears a few times last night. Given our issues, it's great we started doing that.

You can see what kind if team PSU is- other than lot pressing the D down, they did nothing with that play. Like us, the allowed a lot of odd man rushes. Without good play from both goalies- it could have been 11-8.

BTW, anyone notice that we are now 4th in the important rankings? When was the last time we were that high?

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

I'm not paying close enough attention, but there are plenty of issues that need to be worked out that someone can go. The D play is very much why we have such a bad GA stat- they STILL panic with the puck, or dump it blindly to nobody, or something. PSU had some extended pressure just because of poor puck play by the D. And our forwards are not really helping, too.

It's funny- when working, even partially, we are out of our zone super quickly. But when not- the team starts to glaze over and look lost. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

My point being- Martin can find a spot.
    Penn State saw something on film about our breakouts. Obvious that the guys were being deliberate in our own end which just exacerbated the situation. Someone on twitter pointed out that we were keeping our forwards below the dots- but moved at least one of the wingers higher to help with clearing the zone up high and not letting PSU's de-men cheat low. It worked. They are relentless at forechecking, give them credit- and they shoot from everywhere hoping for the type of goals like the third goal, a scramble in front etc.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

So, now does he have to fight to get back into the top 6 defensive rotation? Piazza has represented well. IMO Martin comes back, so does someone else sit? Boka? Ceccone? De Jong?
    I'm not paying close enough attention, but there are plenty of issues that need to be worked out that someone can go. The D play is very much why we have such a bad GA stat- they STILL panic with the puck, or dump it blindly to nobody, or something. PSU had some extended pressure just because of poor puck play by the D. And our forwards are not really helping, too.

It's funny- when working, even partially, we are out of our zone super quickly. But when not- the team starts to glaze over and look lost. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

My point being- Martin can find a spot.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

I don't know why, but mentioning Nieves seems to work. Red took Selman off his line and moved him to center. Kinda worked out in Marody's absence. Piazza is making hay, which is great.

As far as the hit on Motte, I could see this coming. PSU was frustrated and taking runs. This better warrant more than 1-2 games- it looked deliberate- and he didn't get a game misconduct for CTH? I have never seen a 5:00 interference/roughing major. I can't say it measures up to the way Martin lost it- but it ranks up there. Motte could have been seriously injured.
    So remember to post next week about Boo. He can use all the help he can get, real or not.

BTW, you have seen a 5 min major w/o a suspension before- but it's been 20 years. The rule of thumb has always been blood=5 min. For some reason, the game I totally remember about that was back somewhere between 90-92, Aaron Ward got a high stick on him that drew blood against Western when we were one goal down with less than 5 min left in the game. We won in regulation.

In today's game, you are right- it's rare that 5 min isn't given the rest of the night off, at a minimum. The replay did pretty clearly show it was deliberate- he line him up and jumped. To me, the jump is the key part of the deliberate part. So elbow by the side hit squarely in the head. That was less interference and far more elbowing to the head- which Mike has gotten well more than once.

Anyway- that was just the end of the game. Thanks to him, he made certain that PSU would not win. Not smart at all.

Leave a comment:

• klbaum1077
    replied
    I thought that Piazza's move was outstanding. I was very impressed that he drew the Penn State guy in like that and them walked rihght past him. Then he topped it off with that pass to Boo for the easy tap in.

Yea tht was an ugly play by Shuartz and I agree tht it deserves a suspension. The thing is Penn State goes to Minny next week. Since we go to Minny in a few weeks but Penn State comes to Yost to end the season it would benefit Michigan if Penn State swept Minny next weekend (or at least split).

Question, what are the tie-breakers for the regular season if teams tie in points? I'm guessing 1.) Head-to-head, 2.) Regulation wins, 3.) PWR. Is that correct?
    1St tie breaker is most league wins 2nd is most points in head to head games

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I really don't know what to say. What a series. Finally swept those bastárds.

Cutler Martin knocking the **** out of that buckeye was definitely worth it now. 100%. His suspension is over and we swept the one team that we have not been able to sweep.
    So, now does he have to fight to get back into the top 6 defensive rotation? Piazza has represented well. IMO Martin comes back, so does someone else sit? Boka? Ceccone? De Jong?

Yes, satisfying sweep, especially since it was a real boost to the morale, tied for tops again in conference and huge boost to RPI (QW bonus > top 20 RPI team, plus two quality road wins.) We only have two teams on the schedule that will give us the top 20 RPI boosts- PSU and Minnesota. On the flip side, can't lose at home (damaging to PWR/RPI) and can lose to the other bad teams on the schedule- although a run of 11 more undefeated games is possible but unlikely. MSU, Wisconsin, Ferris and OSU may not be "good" teams but you can't just throw your sticks on the ice against them either. I suspect that the Minnesota road games and PSU home games will be barnburners.

Leave a comment:

• MGoBlueHockey
    replied

I really don't know what to say. What a series. Finally swept those bastárds.

Cutler Martin knocking the **** out of that buckeye was definitely worth it now. 100%. His suspension is over and we swept the one team that we have not been able to sweep.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Yea, I most definitely assumed you knew that but the fact that you said a BTHC regular season championship would put them in the tourny threw me a little. I know that you know what you are talking about when it comes to Michigan Hockey. I apologize.

Have you ever listened to a sparty football fan? If you have you are all too ware tht statistics can be manipulated.
    No problem... and no, I don't listen to Spartan logic about anything.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Great that you mentioned him- while still kind of lost in our defensive zone, he finally got a goal tonight. Great one, too, thanks to our Engineer. Piazza made a great and daring move with the puck, and totally faked a shot to let Boo have the easiest goal of the night.

That Compher, Conner, Motte line is really something- to struggle like that and still put a great goal in to seal the game.

And I sure hope that rather nasty interference that drew blood results in at least one game suspension.
    I don't know why, but mentioning Nieves seems to work. Red took Selman off his line and moved him to center. Kinda worked out in Marody's absence. Piazza is making hay, which is great.

As far as the hit on Motte, I could see this coming. PSU was frustrated and taking runs. This better warrant more than 1-2 games- it looked deliberate- and he didn't get a game misconduct for CTH? I have never seen a 5:00 interference/roughing major. I can't say it measures up to the way Martin lost it- but it ranks up there. Motte could have been seriously injured.

Leave a comment:

• UMICH
    replied

Great that you mentioned him- while still kind of lost in our defensive zone, he finally got a goal tonight. Great one, too, thanks to our Engineer. Piazza made a great and daring move with the puck, and totally faked a shot to let Boo have the easiest goal of the night.

That Compher, Conner, Motte line is really something- to struggle like that and still put a great goal in to seal the game.

And I sure hope that rather nasty interference that drew blood results in at least one game suspension.
    I thought that Piazza's move was outstanding. I was very impressed that he drew the Penn State guy in like that and them walked rihght past him. Then he topped it off with that pass to Boo for the easy tap in.

Yea tht was an ugly play by Shuartz and I agree tht it deserves a suspension. The thing is Penn State goes to Minny next week. Since we go to Minny in a few weeks but Penn State comes to Yost to end the season it would benefit Michigan if Penn State swept Minny next weekend (or at least split).

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

And Alfa- I like Boo- nice guy, nice talent. But he is weak on the puck (as a senior!) and his line is abysmal defensively, especially when Werenski or Downing are on the ice. Just an observation.

Leave a comment:

• UMICH
    replied

You're preaching to the choir, son. I'm not an idiot, I know how it works. I was referencing how Michigan is 6th in the PWR now and presumably, if they win most of their games, can be a contender for an at large. The regular season is symbolic, a nice banner, and a means to secure a way to the national tournament in case they trip during the BiG Ten tourney. The regular season is for seeding purposes. If you recall, that is how they made it in 1998. Both MSU and OSU (who were in the CCHA championship) were ranked higher after Michigan lost to the Bucks in the CCHA semi's. The Bucks beat MSU at Yost, while Michigan upset North Dakota to advance (after squeaking by Princeton.) The Buckeyes went to the FF and got blown out by BC, who Michigan defeated to win it all.

In the first B1G Ten tourney, Wisconsin won it IIRC and Minnesota got beat by the Bucks in the semi's. Anything can happen so better to have a bid secured than count on an autobid and end up a 4th seed in the national tourney.

As far as stats, I have no clue what you meant by being manipulated. They are pretty telling.
    Yea, I most definitely assumed you knew that but the fact that you said a BTHC regular season championship would put them in the tourny threw me a little. I know that you know what you are talking about when it comes to Michigan Hockey. I apologize.

Have you ever listened to a sparty football fan? If you have you are all too ware tht statistics can be manipulated.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

The regular season championship has NOTHING to do with the autobid. The autobid goes to the conference tournament champion. Therefore it is technically possible for the regular season BTHC champion to miss the NCAA tournament.

Imagine this scenario, sparty wins the conference tournament and is the only representative of the BTHC. While HIGHLY unlikely it is a possibility...

While statistics don't lie they can be manipulated.
    You're preaching to the choir, son. I'm not an idiot, I know how it works. I was referencing how Michigan is 6th in the PWR now and presumably, if they win most of their games, can be a contender for an at large. The regular season is symbolic, a nice banner, and a means to secure a way to the national tournament in case they trip during the BiG Ten tourney. The regular season is for seeding purposes. If you recall, that is how they made it in 1998. Both MSU and OSU (who were in the CCHA championship) were ranked higher after Michigan lost to the Bucks in the CCHA semi's. The Bucks beat MSU at Yost, while Michigan upset North Dakota to advance (after squeaking by Princeton.) The Buckeyes went to the FF and got blown out by BC, who Michigan defeated to win it all.

In the first B1G Ten tourney, Wisconsin won it IIRC and Minnesota got beat by the Bucks in the semi's. Anything can happen so better to have a bid secured than count on an autobid and end up a 4th seed in the national tourney.

As far as stats, I have no clue what you meant by being manipulated. They are pretty telling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X