Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

IF the refs were going to favor one team or the other last night it wouldn't have been Michigan, and certainly not for the reason Happy claims. Had they been in the bag for either team, it would have been Minnesota. Red and Michigan were going to play on after last night, regardless of the outcome of the game. Hell, they were going to be the overall 6 seed I think regardless of the outcome. But for Minnesota it was win or go dig out the golf clubs. A few well placed calls and suddenly the B1G has TWO teams in the tournament, instead of only one. That's an unfortunately powerful incentive and one of the reasons the NCAA needs to do away with conference officials in all of their sports. All anyone needs to do is watch SEC football games to see why this is an actual concern. I didn't see any of that last night, thankfully, but If there were going to be shenanigans, Minnesota would have been the beneficiary. I think Michigan probably won the game because they are the better team, and they have one of the most dynamic college hockey players the game has seen in years.

Comment

Saw the replay- that 3rd goal was something. Not because of the great move Connor made to put the goalie on his stomach. But the fact that he founds such a massive hole in Minnesota's defense. He's the best player in the NCAA right now, and I'm sure the gophers tried to mark him all night. And he STILL got that open. His hockey sense is just amazing.

Kyle, I'm pretty sure you are going pro after the season is over. Give Dylan Larkin a call and find out how he beefed himself up- you do that, and not only will you have an amazing rookie season, you will have a long and amazing career. So amazingly good.

And it was great to see OUR team not get into a bad mental funk after giving up 3 straight goals. Sounded like they kept pushing in spite of that in the 2nd, and obviously the 3rd was all Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Saw the replay- that 3rd goal was something. Not because of the great move Connor made to put the goalie on his stomach. But the fact that he founds such a massive hole in Minnesota's defense. He's the best player in the NCAA right now, and I'm sure the gophers tried to mark him all night. And he STILL got that open. His hockey sense is just amazing.

Kyle, I'm pretty sure you are going pro after the season is over. Give Dylan Larkin a call and find out how he beefed himself up- you do that, and not only will you have an amazing rookie season, you will have a long and amazing career. So amazingly good.

And it was great to see OUR team not get into a bad mental funk after giving up 3 straight goals. Sounded like they kept pushing in spite of that in the 2nd, and obviously the 3rd was all Michigan.
        A bunch of the more dedicated Gopher fans (including moi) were on pins and needles going into the 3rd, despite the lead. All the nervous. All of it. There were 2 ways MI could have reacted after the 2nd period, and they showed why they will continue playing, while the Gophers will be hitting the golf course. Once MI tied it up, we started praying more than Mother Theresa.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          I wouldn't call you a liar on that one.
          Of course it doesn't hurt that the head of B1G hockey officiating and Red have been buddies and golfing partners for years now does it?
          Don't go there, especially with Urban Meyer running your football program.

Comment

Notre Dame on Friday evening.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
              Connor:
              I thought I would never see anything like the 90s glory days again. Great players? Sure. But the idea that a group of players could be so thoroughly dominant that they could score every time they step on the ice? No way.
              And Connor?
              He's getting better.
              Hockey is a sport where even the best players can get shut down by run of play, bad luck, etc. You just can't go to a game and KNOW that you're going to be dazzled. It just doesn't happen.
              But it does with him. I've attended two games. Told my kids to watch #18. And he has been unforgettable.
              Since sometime in December when Dylan Larkin started getting kudos for the season he is having I have been telling people there is another freshman at U-M that as far as I am concerned is even better. That was usually met with a scoff. Not so much anymore. I am convinced when we are watching him play next year he will be wearing Jets sweater.
              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7
              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Don't go there, especially with Urban Meyer running your football program.
                Pio ALWAYS officiated EVERY Michigan playoff and championship game. Never any bias there I'm sure! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                  Now, on to Cincy and presumably Notre Dame. Payback for the past is in order in hockey, in football and now in BB.
                  You got your wish.

I DO have fond memories of that place from 1996. Although it DID seem like it took forever before that game got started. I managed to acquire one of those about 15' long banners they had hanging in the concourse.
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Give Dylan Larkin a call and find out how he beefed himself up
                    Two words: "Mike" and "Barwis". Larkin works out at his Plymouth facility.
                    Row 1
                    Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      IF the refs were going to favor one team or the other last night it wouldn't have been Michigan, and certainly not for the reason Happy claims. Had they been in the bag for either team, it would have been Minnesota. Red and Michigan were going to play on after last night, regardless of the outcome of the game. Hell, they were going to be the overall 6 seed I think regardless of the outcome. But for Minnesota it was win or go dig out the golf clubs. A few well placed calls and suddenly the B1G has TWO teams in the tournament, instead of only one. That's an unfortunately powerful incentive and one of the reasons the NCAA needs to do away with conference officials in all of their sports. All anyone needs to do is watch SEC football games to see why this is an actual concern. I didn't see any of that last night, thankfully, but If there were going to be shenanigans, Minnesota would have been the beneficiary. I think Michigan probably won the game because they are the better team, and they have one of the most dynamic college hockey players the game has seen in years.
                      You apparently did not consider the just as likely possibility that using refs from a different league still might result in their consciously affecting the outcome to favor THEIR league.
                      Row 1
                      Seats 6 & 7

Comment

So I suspect that for a mid-west regional, the fact that one game is Michigan-Notre Dame means that more than a handful of people show up.

Good old CCHA days coming up.

Comment

So just because Miami is the closest D-1 hockey program to Cinci they're automatically "host" team even though they're not in the tournament?
                          They need to come up with a better system!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            So just because Miami is the closest D-1 hockey program to Cinci they're automatically "host" team even though they're not in the tournament?
                            I'm pretty sure Miami bids to be the host

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                              I'm pretty sure Miami bids to be the host
                              Exactly. Much like my Vandals were the host of the BB games in Spokane.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                You have no idea what the "host" of a regional does, do you?

Each bid for any NCAA tournament host includes a membership institution (school or conference) as the host. The host has a large number of responsibilities, none of which can be delayed until the selections are announced.

Read up a bit

http://67.227.214.227/~bidsncaa/about/faq/#toggle-id-2

Comment

Working...
                                X