Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
    I'm not sure if you know this but the poor GAA / high goals allowed against certain teams started the last year of the CCHA (not the year Mel left). Technically, it improved the first year after Mel left. For example, GAA for 2011-2012 was 2.17. I'll further point out this was fifth in the country, Hunwick had an average just below 2 (7th in country), and Hunwick had a 93.2 save percentage (6th in country). If this is downhill, then I believe you are talking nonsense. I will admit that after the 2011-2012 season our defense has gotten worse. For comparison, GAA for each season:
    2008-2009: 2.05
    2009-2010: 2.27
    2010-2011: 2.23
    2011-2012: 2.17
    2012-2013: 3.25
    2013-2014: 2.54
    2014-2015: 2.89
    2015-2016: 3.16

The trend I most clearly see is that our defense has continually dropped while in the B1G. Putting this all on Mel leaving is presumptous. Did it have an affect on the team? I would be surprised if many would disagree.

On the "fun" note, I beg to disagree. This is the first Michigan hockey team or Michigan football team that I have actually believed could come from behind and win on a routine basis in the last ten years. Personally, I find this fun as this is a luxury I have greatly missed. Granted the defense is heartbreaking at a minimum but the offense reminds of the teams from the 90's. I'll grant you this season we are 2-5 in one goal games and that is not fun.
    If you go back farther- it takes a while until the GAA stabilizes-

98-99: 2.32 (Blackburn)
    99-00: 2.48
    00-01: 2.42
    01-02: 2.29
    02-03: 2.37 (Montoya)
    03-04: 2.4
    04-05: 2.43
    05-06: 3.01 (Sauer)
    06-07: 3.14
    07-08: 2.03

The issues really started the year that Montoya went pro early, and we had to bring in Billy Sauer a year early. So 3 of the 4 seasons where we had a GAA over 3 (even barely), Mel was still coaching here (counting back to the first season after the last NC).

Comment

This is an era of college hockey where scoring is down and talent is down, yet Michigan's stats continue to get worse. Function of goalie and continuous defensive breakdowns.

Comment

• Anyone know dates of when Michigan is coming to Dartmouth next year?
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Yep, it isn't the WCHA, but if the choice is you or the badgers or ohio state getting it, or Us, I want it for Us. the Big Ten sucks, but it's always better to win.
          Enjoy it while you sit at home and watch us in the NCAA Tournament (hopefully)....
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Rumor is that Coach Berenson will announce his retirement Saturday night. Of ourse we knew that.
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              Rumor is that Coach Berenson will announce his retirement Saturday night. Of ourse we knew that.
              I disagree, I think he would more likely announce something like retirement after the season is over or at the awards banquet. I suppose we will find out on senior night.
              Last edited by Khryx; 03-11-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Heck of a win tonight. Got us next Thursday off.

Comment

Thank you, seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    Enjoy it while you sit at home and watch us in the NCAA Tournament (hopefully)....
                    Please, this is not the year of Big Ten winning any national championship or a top four finish this year.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
                      I disagree, I think he would more likely announce something like retirement after the season is over or at the awards banquet. I suppose we will find out on senior night.
                      Uh, Saturday was Senior night.....

According to the broadcasters Coach said that he doesn't know yet, he still has to talk to AD Manuel. I hoestly haven't talked to any players or Coach's son (Gordie) in a long-time. Last time that I saw Gordie was about 9 years ago but he said that Coach will keep coaching until he thinks that he is getting in the way.

I'll have a talk with the guy who said that Coach would announce Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post

According to the broadcasters Coach said that he doesn't know yet, he still has to talk to AD Manuel. I hoestly haven't talked to any players or Coach's son (Gordie) in a long-time. Last time that I saw Gordie was about 9 years ago but he said that Coach will keep coaching until he thinks that he is getting in the way.

The Daily published this article back in January in case you were not aware. Article title is "Manuel will defer to Berenson on hockey program's future".

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post

With all due respect, khryx was right- we did see Saturday night on Senior night- no announcement.

We will be going to the banquet- maybe there will be an announcement there. HOPEFULLY not, as we would have another weekend of hockey to be played.

Comment

Congratulation Kyle Connor. This comes as a suprise to absolutely no one.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ten_player.php

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              With all due respect, khryx was right- we did see Saturday night on Senior night- no announcement.

We will be going to the banquet- maybe there will be an announcement there. HOPEFULLY not, as we would have another weekend of hockey to be played.
                              Thanks alfablue. It just didn't seem like Red to announce after the game on senior night. Since they tend to make announcements at the banquet, like Red signing an extension, I would expect him to do it then. However, since we are in the tournament, I think he would wait until the season is over to announce as it would be too large of a distraction otherwise. Personally, I'm still reluctant to believe that this is his last season.

Comment

Not meaning to be out of place on your guys thread but personally I would hate to see Red go.
                                Who as a college hockey fan no matter who your team is not totally respect the man and what he's accomplished?
                                It wouldn't seem the same without him just like when Bo retired. Red has to me always been the embodiment of Michigan hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X