Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Forgive me for asking, if you don't like this play that much, why do you watch? Not many of the current fans have been around longer than Red, so I suspect you are pretty used to this.

I'm quite angry with the team, too. But "this play" is pretty ****ed fun to watch for me. All but how this D is turning out. Give you hope, and take it all back.
    That's nonsense. We weren't seeing 24 goals given up to one team when Mel was still around. Everything has gone downhill since he left.

This is not "fun". Michigan can't win close games or games where there are less than 3 goals scored. There hasn't been a close win since the GLI.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Hopefully, Penn State smells the blood in the water.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        Hopefully, Penn State smells the blood in the water.
        You mean PSU who lost to Wisconsin last night? And you lost 5-0 to MSU. A team that struggles to score 3 goals.

Have fun not making the tournament.
        ---
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          You mean PSU who lost to Wisconsin last night? And you lost 5-0 to MSU. A team that struggles to score 3 goals.

Have fun not making the tournament.
          Well, we will probably hang a banner, and we don't have two hobey candidates on our top line. How can you squander an offense like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
            Well, we will probably hang a banner, and we don't have two hobey candidates on our top line. How can you squander an offense like that?
            You're awfully mouthy after getting the **** beat out of you by the 5th place team. Wisconsin has momentum. You do not. Things could still take a turn.

As far as Michigan goes, the most important prize is still on the table for them. Can you say that about your team?
            Also, I'm so sure your team said before their season that their goal was to win the B1G Mistake and not make the tournament.
            ---
            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
              That's nonsense. We weren't seeing 24 goals given up to one team when Mel was still around. Everything has gone downhill since he left.

This is not "fun". Michigan can't win close games or games where there are less than 3 goals scored. There hasn't been a close win since the GLI.
              No, it's not. We have always been based around a creative and dynamic offense. The idea that our D suddenly dropped off forgets- all of the complaining about any goalie after Turco- most obviously Billy Sauer. You forget that the defense totally sucked when he was goalie- and he was constantly being let out to dry. Our most "talented" D-man also was one of the worst at actually playing defense- made huge hits, scored a lot of goals, but didn't exactly stop any, too.

People panned Blackburn a lot- and some even posted here that he was not good enough to be a goalie coach. He is 4th all time in NCAA wins. Montoya was a major frustration for most, and there is Sauer- who we all thought would be well replaced by Racine and some other kid who left early. We have had D problems for a long time.

To say that this JUST happened when Mel got a new job isn't paying attention.

But also to say that the dynamic offense we have isn't fun- well, you can think that. But I think it's a blast to watch them. Infuriating to see the D keep making the same mistakes that Jack Johnson did drives me nuts.

Don't fool your self into thinking that change is the only way forward- you sound a LOT like the people who wanted Coach Carr out badly. That didn't turn out all that well, and it's not as if there's a Miles or Harbaugh out there that can replace Red.
              Last edited by alfablue; 03-07-2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                ...To say that this JUST happened when Mel got a new job isn't paying attention.

But also to say that the dynamic offense we have isn't fun- well, you can think that. But I think it's a blast to watch them. Infuriating to see the D keep making the same mistakes that Jack Johnson did drives me nuts.

Don't fool your self into thinking that change is the only way forward- you sound a LOT like the people who wanted Coach Carr out badly. That didn't turn out all that well, and it's not as if there's a Miles or Harbaugh out there that can replace Red.
                The difference is that when Mel was still here, we used to win. Conference championships, league tourneys and we always had a shot to win it all. Since he's been gone, we lose way too many games that we shouldn't. And it seems like we lose every big game we play the past few years - games to make the tourney and games to win the B10 - like the past 3 losses. The offenses is fantastic to watch but the results the past 4 years have been incredibly frustrating and can only be labeled as underachieving.

There may not be a Harbaugh or Miles out there, but Mel has done really well considering he's at Michigan Tech. He stayed at Michigan much longer than he needed to and he's now proven he can win as a head coach. It's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Maznblu View Post
                  The difference is that when Mel was still here, we used to win. Conference championships, league tourneys and we always had a shot to win it all. Since he's been gone, we lose way too many games that we shouldn't. And it seems like we lose every big game we play the past few years - games to make the tourney and games to win the B10 - like the past 3 losses. The offenses is fantastic to watch but the results the past 4 years have been incredibly frustrating and can only be labeled as underachieving.

There may not be a Harbaugh or Miles out there, but Mel has done really well considering he's at Michigan Tech. He stayed at Michigan much longer than he needed to and he's now proven he can win as a head coach. It's time.
                  Again, you are seeing the wins over the issues. Mel may or may not fix the issue- but I think that one can not correlate our current problems with Mel leaving. We lost bad big games even when he was here- heck our struggles with MSU when they had a good D is pretty clear.

Our defensive issues go a lot longer back than you think. You don't remember the year we HAD to win the CCHA to get into the tournament? Or some of the terrible first round losses?

This isn't new- it's just a little worse. And it doesn't take a lot from going from an NCAA streak to not having one. Had John Gibson come in instead of going pro at the last moment, that probably would have been enough for you to miss the issues, and Mel would not be the key you think he is.

I would like to see Mel come back, too, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    Oh wow a banner, that means a lot.
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

And so it begins...

https://www.michigandaily.com/node/2...e+Daily+Digest

Hopefully the debacle against ohio state wakes the guys up just in time so they can win-out (including the NCAA Tournament). That's a large hop though...
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        Lol... Even though the Big Ten is weak, it means we were better than you in conference play. Knowing how your team has been you'll choke in the NCAA and end up with nothing to show for the season and lose all your talent.

Comment

And so it begins...

https://www.michigandaily.com/node/2...e+Daily+Digest

Hopefully the debacle against ohio state wakes the guys up just in time so they can win-out (including the NCAA Tournament). That's a large hop though...
                          If we remember, past years have seen Red make mid-Feb adjustments to the line up, as the team starts to stagnate. But this team, the issues are coming really late- so it will be interesting to see if Red shuffles the line up so that the team pays more attention to details again.

Based on Friday's game, I would break up the CCM line- they scared me all night with their defensive zone play. And for a second, I though Red did- as Compher came out with the second line in the 3rd period.

We'll see.

Comment

I agree with the MN fan here...

Long gone are all the program's accomplishments from 1990-2005. Over the last 11 seasons, Michigan only has two regular season titles (Senior Seasons of Porter and Hagelin) and one playoff championship (09). This group of players has repeatedly come up short in nearly all money games over the past four seasons. I know in recent years that NCAA 4 seeds have gotten hot and made the Frozen Four, but I guess I have higher expectations and want more wins along the way.

There has been considerable talent at certain positions here the last four years, now is the time to make something of it while these high-end players are here. So yeah, it will be more disappointing if the regular season shortcoming carries over into the conference playoffs.

Comment

Yep, it isn't the WCHA, but if the choice is you or the badgers or ohio state getting it, or Us, I want it for Us. the Big Ten sucks, but it's always better to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post

I'm not sure if you know this but the poor GAA / high goals allowed against certain teams started the last year of the CCHA (not the year Mel left). Technically, it improved the first year after Mel left. For example, GAA for 2011-2012 was 2.17. I'll further point out this was fifth in the country, Hunwick had an average just below 2 (7th in country), and Hunwick had a 93.2 save percentage (6th in country). If this is downhill, then I believe you are talking nonsense. I will admit that after the 2011-2012 season our defense has gotten worse. For comparison, GAA for each season:
                                2008-2009: 2.05
                                2009-2010: 2.27
                                2010-2011: 2.23
                                2011-2012: 2.17
                                2012-2013: 3.25
                                2013-2014: 2.54
                                2014-2015: 2.89
                                2015-2016: 3.16

The trend I most clearly see is that our defense has continually dropped while in the B1G. Putting this all on Mel leaving is presumptous. Did it have an affect on the team? I would be surprised if many would disagree.

On the "fun" note, I beg to disagree. This is the first Michigan hockey team or Michigan football team that I have actually believed could come from behind and win on a routine basis in the last ten years. Personally, I find this fun as this is a luxury I have greatly missed. Granted the defense is heartbreaking at a minimum but the offense reminds of the teams from the 90's. I'll grant you this season we are 2-5 in one goal games and that is not fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X