Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

QUOTE=MGoBlueHockey;6284415]New info came out today on Rivals about the Hockey scenario.

It's all but officially announced that Red is retiring after the season.

What's going to stun you is the most commonly heard candidate. -

Nate Leaman of Providence (unlikely imo)
    Rand Pecknold of Quinnipiac

That's the name people are hearing the most aside from Pearson.[/QUOTE]

Pecknold's more interested in Hockey East... don't be surprised when they come and talk to Q.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
      QUOTE=MGoBlueHockey;6284415]New info came out today on Rivals about the Hockey scenario.

What's going to stun you is the most commonly heard candidate. -

That's the name people are hearing the most aside from Pearson.
      Pecknold's more interested in Hockey East... don't be surprised when they come and talk to Q.[/QUOTE]

Danton Cole would make sense with the number of commitments coming to UM from the NTDP.

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
        New info came out today on Rivals about the Hockey scenario.

What's going to stun you is the most commonly heard candidate. In order-

Danton Cole(!)
        Mel Pearson
        Brian Wiseman (*** )
        Derek Schooley of Robert Morris
        Enrico Blasi.........

Danton Cole is said to be more interested in the Michigan job than an opening at state based on how he they treated him the last time they went looking for a coach and found a disgraced conference commissioner.

Mind sharing a reference to the Rivals page you are referencing? The last news I had heard was from the Daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
          Mind sharing a reference to the Rivals page you are referencing? The last news I had heard was from the Daily.
          The Michael Spath ITF extra. It's on the premium site.
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Bumping this to get the packers off the front page

"Go Blue!" to stay relevant
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
              New info came out today on Rivals about the Hockey scenario.

What's going to stun you is the most commonly heard candidate. In order-

Danton Cole(!)
              Mel Pearson
              Brian Wiseman (*** )
              Derek Schooley of Robert Morris
              Enrico Blasi.........

Danton Cole is said to be more interested in the Michigan job than an opening at state based on how he they treated him the last time they went looking for a coach and found a disgraced conference commissioner.

I honestly know very little inside information regarding the hockey program currently but from what I've witnessed (which isn't much) is that Wiseman has a chance. He's actually doing most of the in-game coaching from what can tell too. I guess that I'm on the outs as far as why you are not thrilled with Wiseman. Care to elaborate? Also, I've gotta believe that Coach Berenson has significant input on who takes over, he's earned that (and more). Obviously Coach would like for Mel to come home and take over, that's a given. However that does not appear too likely (but ya never know). With that being the case who do you think is his next choice? On the outside Danton Cole looks like a good selection but be careful, you don't want to go too far away from what got you here. Didn't we just learn that through the football debacle?

Onto another tangent, I love Yost as much as anyone but let's be honest, eventually we'll need a new arena. What are the odds that it is named the Berenson Ice Arena? I'd like to open the line at 4:1, although I think I'm underestimating it.
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                I honestly know very little inside information regarding the hockey program currently but from what I've witnessed (which isn't much) is that Wiseman has a chance. He's actually doing most of the in-game coaching from what can tell too. I guess that I'm on the outs as far as why you are not thrilled with Wiseman. Care to elaborate? Also, I've gotta believe that Coach Berenson has significant input on who takes over, he's earned that (and more). Obviously Coach would like for Mel to come home and take over, that's a given. However that does not appear too likely (but ya never know). With that being the case who do you think is his next choice? On the outside Danton Cole looks like a good selection but be careful, you don't want to go too far away from what got you here. Didn't we just learn that through the football debacle?

Onto another tangent, I love Yost as much as anyone but let's be honest, eventually we'll need a new arena. What are the odds that it is named the Berenson Ice Arena? I'd like to open the line at 4:1, although I think I'm underestimating it.
                I know Tech people will be pretty upset, but I do think Mel will come back and be HC. My dad is a Techie, and I think he's pretty convinced, too.

IF there's a new arena, I'd say the odds are really good for the Berenson name. Then again, some of the names of the facilities have nothing to do with that sport. So... Yost was a football guy, and Yost Field House did have some practices, but also was indoor track, basketball, etc. Fritz Crisler didn't exactly have anything do to with Basketball. Don Canham was the AD, not a swimming guy. I guess at least Ray Fisher was a Baseball coach. And I bet Alumni Field will quickly be renamed after Hutch retires.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post

Wiseman has barely any coaching experience and would a disaster hire. Think Brady Hoke but with zero head coaching experience. That would be a slightly better hire than Anastos. Anastos had a little bit less coaching experience than Wiseman does. Shut it down if that happens.

Cool, he's doing in-game coaching. And the team still repeats the same mistakes they have been the last 4 years. If Red has input and that's his guy......that would be akin to Football hiring Ron English in 2008 because Carr wanted him.

Why on earth would we settle for someone with absolutely no experience when there are real options out there?

Warde Manuel knows what will work and what won't. The new boss, same as the old boss thing is a non-starter since the team has not improved in 4 years. They're a lock to make the tournament because their entire schedule is an absolute joke. Joke non-conference, joke conference. We're still seeing the same problems we have the last 4 years. Nothing has changed. Still can't win the must-win games.
                  Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM.
                  ---
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

What about Rick Bennett? Seems like Gadowsky has done some great things after coming from Princeton to PSU, no reason Bennett, a disciple of Nate Leaman couldn't do good things for Michigan?

And anyone that says Mel should "come home" to Michigan isn't exactly come across as smart. He may have been there for a long time, but a kid born in Vancouver, who grew up in Edina, MN and went to college at Michigan Tech isn't "coming home" to Ann Arbor. Will he take the job if offered? I certainly hope not but it does seem to be at least a coin toss. I hate the thought of having to replace him.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      What about Rick Bennett? Seems like Gadowsky has done some great things after coming from Princeton to PSU, no reason Bennett, a disciple of Nate Leaman couldn't do good things for Michigan?

And anyone that says Mel should "come home" to Michigan isn't exactly come across as smart. He may have been there for a long time, but a kid born in Vancouver, who grew up in Edina, MN and went to college at Michigan Tech isn't "coming home" to Ann Arbor. Will he take the job if offered? I certainly hope not but it does seem to be at least a coin toss. I hate the thought of having to replace him.
                      Danton Cole would be the bigger hire right now and from what that article said, he's the leading candidate right now.

That UAH team he took to the NCAA Tournament nearly upset Miami and would've faced Michigan in the regional final. It was only a 2-1 loss.
                      ---
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        Danton Cole would be the bigger hire right now and from what that article said, he's the leading candidate right now.

That UAH team he took to the NCAA Tournament nearly upset Miami and would've faced Michigan in the regional final. It was only a 2-1 loss.
                        Hiring a guy who coached one of the most obscure college teams for 3 years and led them to 3rd place finish in a 4 team conference and managed to win a game in the NCAA tournament is a bigger hire than a guy with a national championship, 3rd place finish on his resume, and two conference regular season titles? Why because its all perceived to be inheritance from Nate Leaman?
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Any of the candidates you have listed earlier would be real good. You will have to raise the pay over what it is now to get one of them though. Even then it's no slam dunk. I'm sure they are developing a list of guys to interview. The only thing I resent is the coming home reference.
                          In fact, to list the factors. Positives: Very large Big time school, plenty of resources, easy air travel, Fairly easy recruiting. Good admin support. And the negatives: Don't mess up/lose. (So the position is not as secure as some others.) Rink is a significant negative, Hockey is an afterthought at Michigan.
                          Other schools have equal or better assets in many ways. Players these days do not get better exposure at a big school than a small one. The scouts find you wherever you are, in fact even AIC has scouts go.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Any of the candidates you have listed earlier would be real good. You will have to raise the pay over what it is now to get one of them though. Even then it's no slam dunk. I'm sure they are developing a list of guys to interview. The only thing I resent is the coming home reference.
                            In fact, to list the factors. Positives: Very large Big time school, plenty of resources, easy air travel, Fairly easy recruiting. Good admin support. And the negatives: Don't mess up/lose. (So the position is not as secure as some others.) Rink is a significant negative, Hockey is an afterthought at Michigan.
                            Other schools have equal or better assets in many ways. Players these days do not get better exposure at a big school than a small one. The scouts find you wherever you are, in fact even AIC has scouts go.
                            Rink is a negative?! I haven't really seen the negative in recruiting. Three first round draft picks to play here in the last 4 years. Give me near-100 year-old Yost over some characterless new building any day.

Hockey is not an afterthought here. It's a niche sport, but it always gets good attendance unless it's against some obscure AHA team that not many people have heard of. It's not #1, but hockey is #1 at very few all-sports D1 schools. The ones it is #1 at are ones that are mid-majors.

It can rise up to #2 depending on bad Basketball is playing. It WAS #2 for the entire 2000s.

Playing in the B1G Mistake has lowered attendance. Believe me when I say, 99.9% of Michigan fans hate this league.
                            Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 03-02-2016, 03:31 PM.
                            ---
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

And the negatives: Don't mess up/lose. (So the position is not as secure as some others.) Rink is a significant negative, Hockey is an afterthought at Michigan.
                              It's really hard to say the rink is a negative without knowing what the behind the scenes facilities are like. A smaller intimate building like Yost could be an asset because it's easier to fill. As long as the amenities are there for the coaches and players, I think you're over stating it...it's not the Ralph but nothing else is and I'm sure right now, the Badgers wish they had a smaller hockey rink so it didn't feel so empty.

Comment

Rink is a significant negative, Hockey is an afterthought at Michigan.
                                Wrong. I have spoken with multiple players. Eric Nystrom, Mike Cammalleri, Mike Komisarek, Al Montoya, Kevin Porter, Marty Turco, etc. who have all stated that playing in Yost was a significant factor in why they came to Michigan. And I know that most people haven't been in the locker-room, weight-room, film-room, etc in Yost but I have. They are definitely on par with, if not beyond what most other schools have. Now I've never been to North Dakota but I have heard that is phenomenal, so what else do they have other than a world class curling facility? There is nothing in North Dakota other than UND Hockey, that's why it is basically a professional team. At Michihgamn you get everything. World class athetics (not just hockey), an elite academic university, one of the top medical centers in the nation, a great college town, the college life, etc. At North Dakota you have hockey and snow....
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X