Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    I thought that Piazza's move was outstanding. I was very impressed that he drew the Penn State guy in like that and them walked rihght past him. Then he topped it off with that pass to Boo for the easy tap in.

Yea tht was an ugly play by Shuartz and I agree tht it deserves a suspension. The thing is Penn State goes to Minny next week. Since we go to Minny in a few weeks but Penn State comes to Yost to end the season it would benefit Michigan if Penn State swept Minny next weekend (or at least split).

Question, what are the tie-breakers for the regular season if teams tie in points? I'm guessing 1.) Head-to-head, 2.) Regulation wins, 3.) PWR. Is that correct?
    1St tie breaker is most league wins 2nd is most points in head to head games

Comment

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      I don't know why, but mentioning Nieves seems to work. Red took Selman off his line and moved him to center. Kinda worked out in Marody's absence. Piazza is making hay, which is great.

As far as the hit on Motte, I could see this coming. PSU was frustrated and taking runs. This better warrant more than 1-2 games- it looked deliberate- and he didn't get a game misconduct for CTH? I have never seen a 5:00 interference/roughing major. I can't say it measures up to the way Martin lost it- but it ranks up there. Motte could have been seriously injured.
      So remember to post next week about Boo. He can use all the help he can get, real or not.

BTW, you have seen a 5 min major w/o a suspension before- but it's been 20 years. The rule of thumb has always been blood=5 min. For some reason, the game I totally remember about that was back somewhere between 90-92, Aaron Ward got a high stick on him that drew blood against Western when we were one goal down with less than 5 min left in the game. We won in regulation.

In today's game, you are right- it's rare that 5 min isn't given the rest of the night off, at a minimum. The replay did pretty clearly show it was deliberate- he line him up and jumped. To me, the jump is the key part of the deliberate part. So elbow by the side hit squarely in the head. That was less interference and far more elbowing to the head- which Mike has gotten well more than once.

Anyway- that was just the end of the game. Thanks to him, he made certain that PSU would not win. Not smart at all.

Comment

So, now does he have to fight to get back into the top 6 defensive rotation? Piazza has represented well. IMO Martin comes back, so does someone else sit? Boka? Ceccone? De Jong?
        I'm not paying close enough attention, but there are plenty of issues that need to be worked out that someone can go. The D play is very much why we have such a bad GA stat- they STILL panic with the puck, or dump it blindly to nobody, or something. PSU had some extended pressure just because of poor puck play by the D. And our forwards are not really helping, too.

It's funny- when working, even partially, we are out of our zone super quickly. But when not- the team starts to glaze over and look lost. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

My point being- Martin can find a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I'm not paying close enough attention, but there are plenty of issues that need to be worked out that someone can go. The D play is very much why we have such a bad GA stat- they STILL panic with the puck, or dump it blindly to nobody, or something. PSU had some extended pressure just because of poor puck play by the D. And our forwards are not really helping, too.

It's funny- when working, even partially, we are out of our zone super quickly. But when not- the team starts to glaze over and look lost. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

My point being- Martin can find a spot.
          Penn State saw something on film about our breakouts. Obvious that the guys were being deliberate in our own end which just exacerbated the situation. Someone on twitter pointed out that we were keeping our forwards below the dots- but moved at least one of the wingers higher to help with clearing the zone up high and not letting PSU's de-men cheat low. It worked. They are relentless at forechecking, give them credit- and they shoot from everywhere hoping for the type of goals like the third goal, a scramble in front etc.

Comment

Penn State saw something on film about our breakouts. Obvious that the guys were being deliberate in our own end which just exacerbated the situation. Someone on twitter pointed out that we were keeping our forwards below the dots- but moved at least one of the wingers higher to help with clearing the zone up high and not letting PSU's de-men cheat low. It worked. They are relentless at forechecking, give them credit- and they shoot from everywhere hoping for the type of goals like the third goal, a scramble in front etc.
            That high dump outlet pass saved our rears a few times last night. Given our issues, it's great we started doing that.

You can see what kind if team PSU is- other than lot pressing the D down, they did nothing with that play. Like us, the allowed a lot of odd man rushes. Without good play from both goalies- it could have been 11-8.

BTW, anyone notice that we are now 4th in the important rankings? When was the last time we were that high?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              Question, what are the tie-breakers for the regular season if teams tie in points? I'm guessing 1.) Head-to-head, 2.) Regulation wins, 3.) PWR. Is that correct?
              Here is the official word from the B1G:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hocke...100815aac.html
              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
              Row 1
              Seats 6 & 7
              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

That high dump outlet pass saved our rears a few times last night. Given our issues, it's great we started doing that.

You can see what kind if team PSU is- other than lot pressing the D down, they did nothing with that play. Like us, the allowed a lot of odd man rushes. Without good play from both goalies- it could have been 11-8.

BTW, anyone notice that we are now 4th in the important rankings? When was the last time we were that high?
                Probably in the Hunwick era. The Beanpot on Monday will juggle it again I'm sure.

Comment

BTW, anyone notice that we are now 4th in the important rankings?
                  Means nothing. Lot of season left to be played.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Means nothing. Lot of season left to be played.
                    It does not mean nothing. It does tell you how the rest of the country is doing. Yes, there's a long way to go- but last year, we were on the outside looking in for most of the season. Not to say that we are in, but it's less of a struggle to figure out how to get in...

Comment

It does not mean nothing. It does tell you how the rest of the country is doing. Yes, there's a long way to go- but last year, we were on the outside looking in for most of the season. Not to say that we are in, but it's less of a struggle to figure out how to get in...
                      Exactly. What it means is, Minnesota and Penn State will be desperate down the stretch to jump up into the top 14 (since you have to consider the autobid for the AHC and at least one conference tourney upset) to obtain an at large. They are in the position we have been in for three years. If not, they have to win the tourney where we don't- although it would be nice.

Comment

Cool. I've seen a team go from #2 to not making it over the course of a month and a half.

Right now, these rankings means nothing. I will not get burned again by looking at rankings and thinking we can assume we're in.

Exactly. What it means is, Minnesota and Penn State will be desperate down the stretch to jump up into the top 14 (since you have to consider the autobid for the AHC and at least one conference tourney upset) to obtain an at large. They are in the position we have been in for three years. If not, they have to win the tourney where we don't- although it would be nice.
                        I'll believe it when I see it. We haven't put together a complete regular season in a long time.
                        Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM.
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                          Cool. I've seen a team go from #2 to not making it over the course of a month and a half.

Right now, these rankings means nothing. I will not get burned again by looking at rankings and thinking we can assume we're in.

I'll believe it when I see it. We haven't put together a complete regular season in a long time.
                          I don't know what you mean by a complete regular season. We earned everything we have gotten the past three years. You can't lose winnable games to average teams and then scramble at the end of the season to make an autobid just because you didn't show up. Somehow we have lost our way- the fun and gun teams are exciting to watch but are not built for playoff success. Everyone has to play a 200 foot game, play defense. Our goaltending has been irratic since Hunwick left and even he could not save them his senior season. So when you say, "complete regular season", I have to say the last one was 1998. Not 2008. Not 2011. That is when we finished the entire season, not just the regular season, as champions.

I understand your premise. There is a ton of pessimism to sweep away, but at least we are in a better position now to at least have a post season run than the previous three seasons. But don't be fooled- even if we did make the NCAA playoffs, I think the style of play we bring can be shut down by any of the 15 other teams expected to make it. As Berenson cautioned- we are a top 10 team, right now. He knows what it takes to beat complete teams and we are not one of those teams.

Comment

Hey, we're still top 4 in the Pairwise...for now.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              Hey, we're still top 4 in the Pairwise...for now.
                              Well UMICH, how could you lose to Sparty? Sparty is putrid!
                              I think you might have jinxed yourself telling us that. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                Well UMICH, how could you lose to Sparty? Sparty is putrid!
                                I think you might have jinxed yourself telling us that. LOL!

sparty typically plays above their heads when they play us. This is one reason why they are called Lil'Brother. They only care how they do when playing us.

To illustrate that point further I'll point out that they are having a discussion about ICE CREAM SANDWICHES on the sparty board currently.
                                Last edited by UMICH; 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM.
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X