Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    What's frustrating to me about Zach is that his "greatness" is inconsistent. He's still got to play D better- he's slow covering a player in front of the net. Other than that...

Downing's injury actually made him play D better, I thought. Since he could not play up with the puck, or even pretend to- he just sat back and defended- which he did well. Even with a really bad limp. All in all, the 4 min penalty, and not playing at the end was good thing for him. Stop pushing an injury.

BTW, I didn't see him butting a gopher, but the guy behind us saw that. I thought it was incidental- but didn't see it. Anyone else?
    The guy behind you was wearing a Gopher jersey, too. Yeah, Downing is a d-bag, but so were several of Gophs after the embarassment they took. Typical stuff amongst guys that know each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      You realize that video is private right?
      Nope. Probably why I couldn't get the link to work. Thanks, try it again.

I have the same problem with the twitters.

https://youtu.be/j2XJcTFSMFc
      Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
        CLOSE but NO cigar.

Not ESPN but it WILL be on ESPNews
        yea, close enough. i'm home watching.

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        The guy behind you was wearing a Gopher jersey, too. Yeah, Downing is a d-bag, but so were several of Gophs after the embarassment they took. Typical stuff amongst guys that know each other.
        He was a nice guy, but not the one who thought Mike butted the gopher. Not sure what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
          Nope. Probably why I couldn't get the link to work. Thanks, try it again.

I have the same problem with the twitters.

https://youtu.be/j2XJcTFSMFc
          Thanks.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Boo's amazing goal on Friday was the #2 top play for the weekend on ESPN. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              Anyone else think that Werenski has regressed this year? I assume that we'll lose Connor to World Juniors over the break. So how many total will we be missing over the break to World Juniors?
              Well, somehow we are losing Downing too. It's not exactly World Juniors but he still is ineligible to play in the next 2 games...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...nd_porikos.php

Not the best article.
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Well, somehow we are losing Downing too. It's not exactly World Juniors but he still is ineligible to play in the next 2 games...

Not the best article.
                My guess is they basically just ran the B1G release. It reads almost verbatim to the one on USCHO: http://www.uscho.com/2015/12/14/mich...me-by-big-ten/
                Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                Row 1
                Seats 6 & 7
                Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

I saw both hits in TV. I thought Downing's hit was definitely a major, and borderline DQ. You cannot hit that high and leave your feet in that manner. He should know better by now. I thought, narrowly, that the call on Porikos was correct at the time.

This is an overreach by the B1G.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Michigan's website actually posted a highlight package that included the Downing hit. From two angles. Pretty refreshing to see a school post what actually happened in a game, instead of trying to sugarcoat and not show anything from the other team or controversial. There are very few places that are willing to shoot straight and give you the whole story.

Comment

Not the best article.
                      Smithers, begin the thawing of Kevin Lohan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        I saw both hits in TV. I thought Downing's hit was definitely a major, and borderline DQ. You cannot hit that high and leave your feet in that manner. He should know better by now. I thought, narrowly, that the call on Porikos was correct at the time.

This is an overreach by the B1G.
                        I don't think you are seeing any reasonable Michigan fan defend Downing's actions, although 2 games is a big impact in college hockey. The accumulating effect of, in some cases officiating overreaction IMO, was the primary reason for that. Downing has been targeted by the league unfairly in some aspects so this is no surprise when he actually does something that warrants a strong reaction that he gets ...hammered.

Funny how half of his suspensions have been against Minnesota who got under his skin pretty good, slewfooted him at least twice this past weekend, kneed him, shattered his stick in one occasion (in which he retalliated and got the extra call) and then cries about how he is dirty. His play hasn't exactly warranted a call from the NHL, either, so he has had a pretty nominal first half of the season.

As far as Porikos- that was a major league elbow on the kisser from my seat. I don't know if that is true, but it looked far worse at the time than Downing's penalty. The Gophs got embarrassed pretty good Friday and yet were laying down the smack talk pretty good on Saturday. Funny how guys like Komiserek, Jillson and our Navy Seal buddy Gassoff would have cleaned up on these guys the honest way for such chicanery back when they let them play old time hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by mmb5 View Post
                          Smithers, begin the thawing of Kevin Lohan.
                          Naw, they'll plug in Piazza and make Turcotte a defenseman . Piazza's played this season as the 7th d man and split weekend time.

Either that or Lohan can do his John Scott imitation.
                          Last edited by streaker; 12-16-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

A blast from the not-so-distant past. Al Montoya is playing like we all hoped following his Freshman year at Michigan but now in the NHL. Yes, it's still as back-up duty in limited action but look at those statistics! I'm happy for the guy. 5-1-1 with a 1.79 GAA and 172/185 for a .930 SV%.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471219

Comment

In case anyone is hanging around here Fox Sports is webcasting the game vs. Northern.
                              Go to URL: http://www.foxsports.com/foxsportsgo/ then scroll across the games listed across the bottom until you see it.
                              Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                              Row 1
                              Seats 6 & 7
                              Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Nice to see Cutler Martin get his first goal of the season. Also great to see Piazza get an assist. I like when the lesser known guys, and guys that don't get much ice time make scoring contributions.

Close game last night. Tech will be tough tonight. After seeing them come from down 2-0 vs. Sparty yesterday, and having seen our defense & goaltending, I'm hoping tonight's the night our offense explodes for 7 or more goals (I fear we may need them).
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X