Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

FWIW, I have no issues with UM fans. They have always been amicable on this board (the student section at Yost, of course, is another story all together. ). I see no reason, however, why a regular home and home series can't be scheduled with a school that is less than an hour away. It makes no sense to me, and yet they refuse to budge on the issue. We have them with OSU, Miami, and WMU, why not UM and MSU? It's baffling.

While I miss the CCHA I have, indeed, moved on. The college hockey landscape will never be what it once was. I do, however, believe that we haven't seen the last of realignments.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      I think they're mostly talking out of fear that he will leave. The buyout on his contract is probably what some of our donors wipe their arse with.
      Well yes and no. I believe Coach Pearson when he says, for the umpteenth time, I'm staying here long term, but I'm also a realist. And certainly U of M has a ton of money, if that is the issue, which I doubt. I also doubt there is more talent. But yes the following is bigger though definitely not as rabid as in Houghton.
      So is it a possibility, certainly. I'm sure Michigan will make an offer at some point and even though Red hasn't announced, we all know he's leaving. But there's a difference between offering and accepting.
      I do have to agree that Tech fans would be pretty unhappy if he left and are at least somewhat worried about it despite his protestations to the contrary.

Also the attitude of Michigan fans that "Well of course he would prefer to be here more than anywhere else, I mean " This is Michigan!, for Gods sake""... it's not an attractive trait. It just shows you've never been to Tech or seen what it's like up there.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Also the attitude of Michigan fans that "Well of course he would prefer to be here more than anywhere else, I mean " This is Michigan!, for Gods sake""... it's not an attractive trait. It just shows you've never been to Tech or seen what it's like up there.
        Or it could be that we HAVE been up to Tech, and have seen and experienced what its like in the dead of winter.

(that's a joke, for God's sake)

Comment

May be the first time ever I'm ****ed off because Michigan is ranked too high in a poll.

Should be below #15 or even unranked. What good is having all this talent if you've done literally nothing with it the last 3 years?

Go back even further than 3 years and we just have ****ed away so much of our talent. Great seasons here are championship seasons: conference, regional and national.

We've had exactly two of those in the last decade (2007-08 & 2010-11).

Look at the names we had that didn't even win a championship: Jack Johnson, Matt Hunwick, Zach Hyman, Jacob Trouba, Andrew Copp, Dylan Larkin.

What a time to be depressed.
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Look at the names we had that didn't even win a championship: Jack Johnson, Matt Hunwick, Zach Hyman, Jacob Trouba, Andrew Copp, Dylan Larkin.

What a time to be depressed.
            Funny thing is to look at the success the year AFTER those guys left.

Maybe they could have all played better, for all of their talent.

The list of talent that didn't win is much longer than the ones that did. Especially the very short list of talent that won twice.

As Red has said, the best team doesn't always win. And it's the winner that earns all of the accolades, not the best team on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
              ah. because playing AIC, Mercyhurst, Union, RPI, Robert Morris, Niagara, Dartmouth is playing B1G schools all the time. got it.
              and who needs to worry about lil' things like RPI, right?
              You can tell that you are a MAC alum. B1G schools refers to the B1G TEN. Those are, in theory, warm-up games. Every major program has them in every sport.
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

BTW, Michigan is pre-season #1 in the B1G. Not sure how I feel about this but at least it annoys goopher fans.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...g_ten_poll.php

Michigan was tabbed the favorite in the 2015-16 Big Ten hockey preseason coaches’ poll, the conference announced on Monday.

Michigan was 12-8-0-0 in league play (22-15-0 overall) and reached the championship game of the 2015 Big Ten Tournament. Two-time defending Big Ten Champion Minnesota was selected second in the preseason poll, with Michigan State capturing third, Penn State taking fourth, Ohio State placing fifth and Wisconsin rounding out the poll in sixth.

The Preseason Players to Watch list features 12 standouts, with four unanimous selections in Michigan’s JT Compher and Zach Werenski, Michigan State’s Jake Hildebrand and Minnesota’s Hudson Fasching. Players from all six schools appeared on the Players to Watch list, led by Michigan with three honorees.

Hildebrand, who is on the Preseason Players to Watch List for the third straight season, was the 2015 Big Ten Player and Goaltender of the Year. He was joined on the All-Big Ten first team last season by Werenski, who was also a unanimous selection for the all-freshman team. Compher and Ohio State’s Nick Schilkey are among the players receiving conference preseason honors for the second consecutive year, with Compher a unanimous selections in both seasons.

2015-16 Big Ten Preseason Poll
                1. Michigan
                2. Minnesota
                3. Michigan State
                4. Penn State
                5. Ohio State
                6. Wisconsin

2015-16 Players to Watch
                JT Compher, F, Michigan*
                Kyle Connor, F, Michigan
                Zach Werenski, D, Michigan*
                Jake Hildebrand, G, Michigan State*
                Mackenzie MacEachern, F, Michigan State
                Hudson Fasching, F, Minnesota*
                Justin Kloos, F, Minnesota
                Anthony Greco, F, Ohio State
                Nick Schilkey, F, Ohio State
                David Goodwin, F, Penn State
                Eric Scheid, F, Penn State
                Grant Besse, F, Wisconsin
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

It doesn't annoy us. Your team is better on paper. I'd say we are too high in the USCHO poll. I'd put us around the bubble at the start of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    You can tell that you are a MAC alum. B1G schools refers to the B1G TEN. Those are, in theory, warm-up games. Every major program has them in every sport.
                    Tomato cans or not, there are going to be less than 3,000 people for those games. Book it. Especially with them scheduling the Niagara game at the same time as the Basketball season opener.

You just know they're going to drop one to two of those games against those awful teams. We had to come from behind to beat freaking RPI last year at home.
                    ---
                    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      It doesn't annoy us. Your team is better on paper. I'd say we are too high in the USCHO poll. I'd put us around the bubble at the start of the year.
                      Right- many of you posted that prediction a few months ago.

What's disappointing to me is the very strong thought that the B1G will JUST have the auto bid make the tournament. Again.

For a conference with so many championships to suck this bad. Well, that sucks.

Comment

Blame wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          Blame wisconsin.
                          No kidding. Never did I expect this when the B1G formed. That Wisconsin would suck this badly and still keep their coach after sucking that badly.

There's nothing good about it. A win over them is equivalent to one over AIC now in the PWR. Hell, Minnesota TYING Wisconsin hurt them.
                          ---
                          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            yes, that would explain the large "Bowling Green St. Univ." in my sig. we're familiar with the B1G down here--our football team is on a 3-1 run against the B1G. good warm-up for the MAC season.

in hockey, the general idea is to schedule out-of-conference games that will draw well and won't bugger your RPI and Pairwise ranking. but if you're happy that your post-realignment OOC scheduling is the best that you can get, god bless.
                            for reference, Sparty's OOC schedule includes 8 games against ranked teams; OSU has 9. UM has what...two?

I've got nothing against the B1G hockey conference, and RIP CCHA. it's a pity that your OOC scheduling sucks. but hey, maybe the new AD can fix it. dumping the ridiculous 2-for-1 policy (that's so far doing a great job of pulling in lots of Atlantic teams) would help immediately.
                            Last edited by blackswampboy; 09-29-2015, 12:08 AM. Reason: 2-0, my bad.
                            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

yes, that would explain the large "Bowling Green St. Univ." in my sig. we're familiar with the B1G down here--our football team is on a 3-0 run against the B1G. good warm-up for the MAC season.

Purdue would go 5-7 in the MAC. Maryland as well.

UM has what...two?
                              Robert Morris is gonna be ranked by the time Michigan plays them. They're getting more votes than three B1G teams.

Still no excuse. I'm actually excited at the possibility of beating Bowling Green in the 2016 GLI final.
                              ---
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Tomato cans or not, there are going to be less than 3,000 people for those games. Book it. Especially with them scheduling the Niagara game at the same time as the Basketball season opener.

You just know they're going to drop one to two of those games against those awful teams. We had to come from behind to beat freaking RPI last year at home.
                                There is no way that Michigan will draw less than 3,000 for a game. This isn't the 1980's. I can see less than 6,000 and maybe even less than 5,000 under the "wrong" circumstances but no way less than 3,000.

I never said that the schedule was great, just that it was a result of DB Brandon and somehow he could get more marketing from playing those teams. It still doesn't concern me...

Comment

Working...
                                X